Guy Hamilton 1922-2016

13»

Comments

When I first watched Bond in the mid 90s, GG was one of the last ones in my viewing order.

I remember thinking back then that something just didn't "feel right" with it. It almost felt like it was rushed out and I still feel that about the film to this day despite some good scenes. The same kind of applies to DAF and LALD. Smaller and cheaper in production and scale.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,984
    I still find Hamilton's 70's trilogy to be the weakest episode of the Bond saga. DAF is enjoyable at times but definitely a waste of a film (given what it could have done with OHMSS) and a far cry from the magic of the 60's flicks. A couple of good action scenes and a funny script, along with its campy value, are pretty much the only reasons to rewatch it. LALD is an interesting one; probably the weirdest film in the series. A lot of strong elements (cast, atmosphere, music), but a weak plot and dilly-dallying in the script unfortunately tied it together quite poorly; also the intervening moments of JW Pepper took me out of the experience, and not in a good way.

TMWTGG is similar. This time it's the premise that's good, but they stuff it up by diluting it with cheap kung fu and solar energy deviations, not to mention the totally unwarranted return of JW Pepper. For some reason the script makes everyone become a complete prick to everyone else, Bond included. I don't think Moore gives a bad performance here, per se, but it feels inconsistent and off. Definitely felt disconnect between the way Moore interrogated Rosie Carver in LALD and Andrea Anders in TMWTGG, though again that isn't to say he was particularly unconvincing in the latter scene.

Agreed with @Getafix that Gilbert really hits Bond's stride with TSWLM. As for MR, while it's outrageously excessive, it hits the notion of a spy film far better than any of Hamilton's efforts, and at least you can see the money on the screen. No doubt Barry's orchestral swells played a great part in making the experience enjoyable and wondrous. Far closer to the Bond experience for me, with my only serious complaints being moments like Jaws falling in love completely taking me out of that experience. Hamilton's 70's movies just fail to strike that chord at all, and the negatives come on top of that.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Interesting article about Guy Hamilton, and his quotes -

Everything is geared to bigger and better
    Yet TMWTGG actually has less action than any Bond film since GF, less villains, less spectacle.

We never repeat the formula
    Welcome back Sheriff, (as others have said)

Once you show you're lost with a scene you're finished. No I make sure I do my homework thoroughly. I spend a great deal of time initially on the script'

Here's an idea. When Ltnt Hip jumps in the car with his nieces he drives off apparently unaware that Bond hasn't got in with him, (despite the girls clearly trying to tell him), well Bond could have been seen to shout at Hip to get out of there and he would distract the pursuing hoards.
    How long did Guy spend on the script to come up with the eventual baffling outcome to that scene?