How Do You Watch Your Movies - the Home Theatre Thread

13»

Comments

• sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 260
    Umm, if anything I should have gone older than that, to the 1950s or so when NTSC was ratified. We're still living with the gamma curve established at the dawn of TV which was based purely on what made sense for CRT. When alternative display technology started taking over, we started using a digital version which basically makes the display "act" like a CRT in order to display present and past TV programing correctly. As of 2011 we are now calibrating to ITU BT.1886 which is actually a refinement which makes calibration consistent and addresses non-zero black display tech, but is still at heart CRT behavior emulation.
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    Umm, if anything I should have gone older than that, to the 1950s or so when NTSC was ratified. We're still living with the gamma curve established at the dawn of TV which was based purely on what made sense for CRT. When alternative display technology started taking over, we started using a digital version which basically makes the display "act" like a CRT in order to display present and past TV programing correctly. As of 2011 we are now calibrating to ITU BT.1886 which is actually a refinement which makes calibration consistent and addresses non-zero black display tech, but is still at heart CRT behavior emulation.

zzz ...
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I have been considering setting myself up with a home cinema system for some time but know nothing about the subject. Could anyone give some advice as to what would be the best set up on a limited budget? (I'm thinking about £500 - wishful thinking perhaps?)
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,325
    stag wrote: »
    I have been considering setting myself up with a home cinema system for some time but know nothing about the subject. Could anyone give some advice as to what would be the best set up on a limited budget? (I'm thinking about £500 - wishful thinking perhaps?)

@stag - are you getting a TV as part of that budget? A Good rule of thumb is to spend half your budget on the visuals and half on the audio. If you're getting a TV with that your best bet is an all in one home theatre box. However separates are far superior. If your whole budget is for audio, I'd suggest

Yamaha RXV581 av receiver - £349 from Richer Sounds
    Tannoy TFX 5.1 speakers - £179 from Richer Sounds

which is just £30 over your budget, but do you need a BluRay Player too?
    @tanaka123, no. Wishful thinking on my part perhaps but I was thinking about one of those projector contraptions - those with a built in DVD player or which can be coupled to such?
    As you can tell I am a novice in such matters. My budget could be stretched but not by too much.
    @tanaka123, no. Wishful thinking on my part perhaps but I was thinking about one of those projector contraptions - those with a built in DVD player or which can be coupled to such?
    As you can tell I am a novice in such matters. My budget could be stretched but not by too much.

You can get a decent projector for between £350-450. I have an Optoma HD141x myself and it's brilliant. I wouldn't get one of those projectors, I'd get an entry level Optoma or BenQ for the price range above. Also go Blu Ray not DVD, especially if you're thinking of projecting.
    @tanaka123 thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
    @tanaka123 thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

You're welcome.