How Do You Watch Your Movies - the Home Theatre Thread

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I may have mentioned in the past that I got the Bond Bluray boxset for my 21st BIRTHDAY, and I am just watching DAF now and I have to say that the quality is incredible. This boxset was well worth the cost (under £100 for 23 movies).
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Just bought an entry level surround sound system. How well does the 5.1 work, do we really hear bullets whizzing from the left to right speakers?
    w2bond wrote: »
    Just bought an entry level surround sound system. How well does the 5.1 work, do we really hear bullets whizzing from the left to right speakers?

Try it with the first 20mins of Saving Private Ryan @w2bond if you have it, you get bullets zipping by all across the room, even right by you if you position your speakers correctly and set them out so that the sound covers the entire room.
    I may need to buy a TV with some decent black levels that take full advantage of Aidan Turner's hair. I think I'll probably hold off until an official announcement though.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,087
    Just bought a 55 inch 4K UHD HDR Sony TV. Being delivered tomorrow. First thing I'm going to do?

#DrNo #placethediscintothetrayandpresscloseontheplayer #watchthefilm #followedbyGoldenEye
    Just bought a 55 inch 4K UHD HDR Sony TV. Being delivered tomorrow. First thing I'm going to do?

#DrNo #placethediscintothetrayandpresscloseontheplayer #watchthefilm #followedbyGoldenEye

You should have got a projector.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Chaps, can someone tell me the difference between 'True 4K' and '4K upscaling' when it comes to blu ray players? There is quite a difference on price.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,325
    bondjames wrote: »
    Chaps, can someone tell me the difference between 'True 4K' and '4K upscaling' when it comes to blu ray players? There is quite a difference on price.

True 4k will play 4K Blu Rays at their native resolution. 4k upscaling won't play native 4k but will upscale 1080p up to 4k, a bit like how when Blu Ray came on the scene you could get 1080p upscaling DVD players.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

True 4k will play 4K Blu Rays at their native resolution. 4k upscaling won't play native 4k but will upscale 1080p up to 4k, a bit like how when Blu Ray came on the scene you could get 1080p upscaling DVD players.
    Great, thanks. So, can one really notice the difference? Is it really worth the extra cost?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Upscaling will not add much more detail to be honest. It gives the image a bit more 'smoothness' but that's pretty much it. Definitely go for True 4k for better detail. But then you have to weigh that up with how much content is actually available at the moment in true 4k. There are some UltraHD Blu Rays but not many at the moment. Also it depends on the size of your screen and your distance to the screen too, how much difference you will notice.
    Great, thanks again. I haven't made any purchase of 4K tv or blu ray player yet. I'm thinking long term and so will wait for the prices to come down and then take the plunge for True 4K once content increases.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    go true 4K @bondjames it's worth every expensive penny
    MadMaxFR in true 4K (4K Bluray) will make you cry of excitement like a little baby.
    Thanks @BondJasonBond006.

My sister is buying a 4K tv today (taking advantage of the Black Friday sales) and I'm trying to give her some pointers. I'll be at her place as soon as possible to check out the goods.

Being a complete cheapo, I'm going to hold off for the prices to come down a bit, but will be sure to get the true 4K blu ray player as well to complete the set.
    55" or 65" 4K TV with 4K UltraHD player is the way to go.
    Old content like 60s films on Blu can look absolutely breathtaking upscaled to 4K.
    There's clearly a difference visible.
    The quality of the TV is important.
    My Samsung TV almost gives a 3D feeling depending on the material and the colours are literally popping out, absolutely beautiful.
    Also like @Mendes4Lyfe said, contrast and black level can increase the overall visual quality tremendously.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I've a standard 55" Sony LED now. When I first got it, I thought it was huge.

Now, having seen the 65" in person, that's what I'm shooting for although the price difference between the two sizes is quite pronounced.

I'm a Sony guy normally, but really like the Samsungs as well. I noticed they really 'pop' in the stores, but was surprised to learn from a sales associate that Samsung optimizes all tvs for the store, while Sony does not. He's not sure why that's the case. So it's not an apples to apples comparison when you see them in the same store.
    Guys, for the true home cinema experience you need a projector, they are also cheaper in terms of screen size than TVs.
    Have you guys seen this? Don't be this guy!

A 40" flatscreen Toshiba complete with Blu Ray and VHS lol.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    Definitely go for True 4k for better detail. But then you have to weigh that up with how much content is actually available at the moment in true 4k. There are some UltraHD Blu Rays but not many at the moment.

While there are more and more UHD BD titles everyday, the fleecing of the consumer is as rampant as ever: precious few UHD titles are actually UHD source material. A great many titles are 2K upsampled to UHD and then encoded, which is really really stupid since that uses up tones of the precious 100mbps to encode aliasing artifacts. It would actually be better to encode 1080p on UHD BD and let the player or display scale it to UHD.

http://realorfake4k.com/my-product_tags/uhd-disc/

The real next big thing is HDR (High Dynamic Range). If you haven't seen it yet you will be floored. 1080p HDR is way way better than SDR UHD.

We talked about this a while back in another thread, how there will never, ever ever in a million years be a REAL 4K cinema release (or UHD home release) of Skyfall because they went with a 2K digital intermediate.....yet we will probably get a real one of Dr. No (and any other shot on film) and likely an HDR one at that.
    At least it's Skyfall, that one wouldn't get any better even if it was a real life holodeck projection.
    I can't wait though to get my hands on an UltraHD version of DN!
    At least it's Skyfall, that one wouldn't get any better even if it was a real life holodeck projection.
    I can't wait though to get my hands on an UltraHD version of DN!

=P~
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,087
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    Definitely go for True 4k for better detail. But then you have to weigh that up with how much content is actually available at the moment in true 4k. There are some UltraHD Blu Rays but not many at the moment.

While there are more and more UHD BD titles everyday, the fleecing of the consumer is as rampant as ever: precious few UHD titles are actually UHD source material. A great many titles are 2K upsampled to UHD and then encoded, which is really really stupid since that uses up tones of the precious 100mbps to encode aliasing artifacts. It would actually be better to encode 1080p on UHD BD and let the player or display scale it to UHD.

The real next big thing is HDR (High Dynamic Range). If you haven't seen it yet you will be floored. 1080p HDR is way way better than SDR UHD.

We talked about this a while back in another thread, how there will never, ever ever in a million years be a REAL 4K cinema release (or UHD home release) of Skyfall because they went with a 2K digital intermediate.....yet we will probably get a real one of Dr. No (and any other shot on film) and likely an HDR one at that.

HDR Dr No??????????

seriously?

HDR is just a wider colour gamut. What you really need is Dolby Atmos.
    Not sure Dolby Atmos would work with home media.
    You have to literally feel the sound and that only is possible with high volume levels and very powerful speakers.
    Of course with no money limitations you can get anything for the home, but for the mass consumer Dolby Atmos will not be available.

HDR is nice, but to be honest my Samsung 4K TV already gives a breathtaking colour quality.

For me 4K with UHD Blu-ray is the biggest step in home media entertainment since VHS to DVD.

And we shouldn't forget 3D. My Samsung can upscale to 3D and with Blu-rays it works wonders. 3D has made a lot of progress and the new TV models usually are very good at upscaling.
    I watched DN and GF in 3D with Shutter glasses, it's something every Bond fan should be able to experience at least once.

It's not like I will watch the Bonds in 3D all the time, I actually will probably only do it every once in a while but it's a nice way to experience the beloved Bond movies in a different way.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @BondJasonBond006, I'm curious. How can you watch a Bond film in 3D? Were they ever issued in 3D format? What am I missing?
    @BondJasonBond006, I'm curious. How can you watch a Bond film in 3D? Were they ever issued in 3D format? What am I missing?

I'll have to respectfully disagree with Jason on this one in terms of the efficacy. Synthetic 3D is quite a gimmick. Like frame interpolation, its adding something which was never there. 3D is not long for this world anyway (at least in the consumer space). When TV giant Vizio declared they were out of the 3D market back in 2015, that signaled the death of it being anything more than niche in the home.

And by the way, that 3D movie you THINK you saw at the theater...odds are it probably wasn't: http://www.realorfake3d.com/

edited November 2016 Posts: 9,020

You only need the regular Blu-ray and a regular Blu-ray player IF you have a 3D HD TV or 4K 3D TV of course.

The TV will have a function "2Dto3D" which transforms 2D into 3D. Depending on the quality of the TV this will work very, very well.

Usually if you buy a TV Set that also is 3D you get one pair of Shutter glasses. They have a little battery inside, are very light and comfortable to wear. "Shutter" is the system, that's why they call them like that.

I watched several Bond films and other stuff that is 2D in 3D that way.
    The 3D works well enough. I have several Blu-ray that have the 3D and 2D version on it (all the Marvel films for instance) so I was able to compare 2D-3D with real 3D.

The difference is of course noticeable, the real 3D can have some finer effects that will be lost in 2D-3D but it's nitpicking really.

I am totally happy with watching stuff that is not available in real 3D that way.
    Especially with older content it works well as back in the day they didn't edit action like a epileptic episode :P

I tried to watch QOS in 3D, and had to stop after the first fight, just a blur.
    Thanks. I just learnt something today. I had no idea 2D blu rays could be watched like that.
    I tried to watch QOS in 3D, and had to stop after the first fight, just a blur.
    Haha. I can imagine. You're a brave man to have tried that.

Thats just one small part of it. The new color gamut by the way (bt.2020) is also part and parcel of UHD (UHD is more than just resolution).

HDR is a massive paradigm shift away from the brightness limited gamma curve of the past and into a designed from the ground up EOTF with provision to scale up to 10,000 nits (cd/m2) peak lumiance. Thats not to say the entire image is ever that bright, but rather it makes for incredible highlights and dynamic range which is what our current video system is sorely lacking in. Whether we can appreciate more pixels is already an academic debate, but there is no question our eyes can see more color and way more dynamic range than our current video infrastructure (based on 50 year old CRT tech) is giving us.

Thats just one small part of it. The new color gamut by the way (bt.2020) is also part and parcel of UHD (UHD is more than just resolution).

HDR is a massive paradigm shift away from the brightness limited gamma curve of the past and into a designed from the ground up EOTF with provision to scale up to 10,000 nits (cd/m2) peak lumiance. Thats not to say the entire image is ever that bright, but rather it makes for incredible highlights and dynamic range which is what our current video system is sorely lacking in. Whether we can appreciate more pixels is already an academic debate, but there is no question our eyes can see more color and way more dynamic range than our current video infrastructure (based on 50 year old CRT tech) is giving us.

Not quite. You mean the 80's, not 50 years.