Which is your least favourite decade?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting BAIN123: seeing as the 90s was the period I grew up with Bond I certainly can't hate it.
    I can.

Maybe I'm like that due to completely missing out on GoldenEye? ;-)
    Quoting Luds: - Brosnan was by far the worst Bond, or at least just plain bad. Bad acting, the pain faces, the overly acted stuff...
    I never used to agree with this but after watching License to Kill and GoldenEye back-to-back last night, I see where you're coming from here. Brosnan just didn't seem to be able to take handle of the character in GE, and he just came off as underwhelming compared to most other characters in the film, as well as compared to Timothy Dalton in LTK.

Brosnan is a good actor, and he's proven so in Evelyn, The Matador and Seraphim Falls, but he was really quite bland and unimpressive as Bond until DAD, when he finally started to make it his own, but the movie fell apart around him.

Shame, really.

While the lack of good writing, score and script certainly added to the problems with Brosnan's movies, Brozza himself isn't blameless at all. He should have studied the novels more to better capture the essence of the Fleming character instead of trying to be smarmy and a forced blend of Moore & Connery.
  • Quoting BAIN123: Well seeing as the 90s was the period I grew up with Bond I certainly can't hate it.
    I grew up with the nineties Bond as well which probably is part of why I like this era so much.
    Quoting Luds: Just the same as all eras (well except Connery, who'd dislike that!? :))
    Haha, yes, certainly can't disagree with you there.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Quoting Luds: That is precisely one of my theories mate. Born in 79, I was a Dalton kid. He's
    not my favourite, but is my 2nd favourite and I love both his flicks... I'm sure
    if we studied this most people would end up being big fans of their childhood
    Bond, the same applies to general childhood heroes.
    I think you are absolutely right. As I was born in late 1985 I was too young for Dalton so my introduction to Bond was through Brosnan. Think of that what you will but I'll always have a soft spot for him.
    Even though the 1990s were the decade in which I became a Bond fan and those were the Bond films that I first saw in theaters, I have to give the nod to that decade as the worst of the bunch. GE was mediocre, and it was the best film of the decade by a mile.
  • Quoting Chuck: GE was mediocre, and it was the best film of the decade by a mile.
    I'm not feeling the love!
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting RogueThunderball: I'm not feeling the love!
    And I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck ;)
    Sean Bean was the man! (and should have been Bond)!
    GE was great IMO. Certainly the best film of the 90s. Beats any of the 70s films hands-down to be completely honest.

As a Brosnan child, I still and will always have a soft spot for him (especially since he was the persona of all the 007 video games I played as a kid).

But after watching LTK and GE back-to-back last night I had to seriously reconsider how much I liked GE, and I think I may now prefer LTK to it overall.
  • Quoting BAIN123: GE was great IMO. Certainly the best film of the 90s. Beats any of the 70s films hands-down to be completely honest.
    Now that's more like it!
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting Bond: But after watching LTK and GE back-to-back last night I had to seriously reconsider how much I liked GE, and I think I may now prefer LTK to it overall.
    Blatantly obvious that GE was written for Dalton's strengths and would have been better with the Dalt! Shame! :-<
    It's weird, LTK is one of those films people seem to either love or hate. Me...I really like it and rank it as #9 in my list but I have to say GE is probably better overall.

It just feels more...Bond-like. Action, suspense and naughty English humour. LTK has a rather...generic feel to it compared to GE.
    Quoting Luds: Blatantly obvious that GE was written for Dalton's strengths and would have been
    better with the Dalt! Shame! :-<
    Really? I don't believe for one single moment that Dalton and Samantha Bond/Natalya would have had the same onscreen chemistry. Esp given that the scenes between Caroline Bliss and Dalton were utter pap in comparison.
    Quoting Luds:
    And I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck ;)

Sean Bean was the man! (and should have been Bond)!
    You're absolutely right in saying that Sean Bean should have been Bond. While I would have still much preferred Dalton starring in the film, Bean would have been my second choice, and I have no doubt he would have been terrific.
  • GE = Xenia Onatopp. Enough said! :">
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 503
    I have to part ways in opinion with @Chuck and @Luds about Sean Bean. I think he was beyond excellent as 006 in GE, but I definitely would not have wanted him as James Bond. Hard to judge without actually seeing him in the role, but it's not something I'd have supported.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting Bond: I have to part ways in opinion with Chuck and Luds about Sean Bean. I think he was beyond excellent as 006 in GE, but I definitely would not have wanted him as James Bond. Hard to judge without actually seeing him in the role, but it's not something I'd have supported.
    True, but having seen a tone of him with the LOTR and especially the 20 or so Sharpe flicks, I'm sure he would have nailed the character.
    Quoting BAIN123: Really? I don't believe for one single moment that Dalton and Samantha Bond/Natalya would have had the same onscreen chemistry. Esp given that the scenes between Caroline Bliss and Dalton were utter pap in comparison.
    Well it's a fact that the script was written as Dalton was still Bond in 94. Now regarding Bliss & Dalton, I think that she was cast as a humor element rather than for chemistry. And evidently, I don't consider Bond & Brosnan to have any more chemistry than the other ladies, which is very little.
    Bean's a good actor but he doesn't really strike me as the sophisticated type to be honest. I dunno.

"And evidently, I don't consider Bond & Brosnan to have any more chemistry than the other ladies, which is very little".

Forgive me Luds but thats a load of bull. Samantha Bond was sassy, humourous and flirtatious. Bliss was just a giggling school-girl who barely got one scene with Dalton during her entire run as Moneypenny. She wasn't the sexy female she should be. Not entirely her fault as the script didn't really allow her to do much but IMO the chemistry between Bond and Brosnan is FAR more obvious. You can really tell they get on with one another.
    I grew up in the 80's but didn't get into Bond until the early 2000's right before DAD came out. That being said if there is any nostalgic coloring it's for the early 70's. I just love the look of films for that time. So naturally I like the DAF-TMWTGG run. I would say it's a toss up between the 80s and 90s for least favorite. The John Glen films have such a dire drab look that I'm tempted to go with that; for that matter I can't stand the look of most 80's films--too sterile. I feel that the Brosnan era was at least consistent in execution, or at least had an even tone throughout (for better or worse). But what trumps it for me is the superiority of TLD above all films of this time--so the 90's it is. Sorry Bain, though I don't think Bros is as bad as Luds says he is.
    Ha, no problem JB fan. Just for the record, I'm not saying the 90s was the best period (though GE is my personal favourite), thats the 60s.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 638
    Quoting Luds: Sean Bean was the man! (and should have been Bond)!
    Apparently Bean was Barbara Broccoli's choice as Bond for GE as well.

chalk me up for another "90s" were the worst. I would place both LALD and TSWLM above GE.
    Quoting BAIN123: Bean's a good actor but he doesn't really strike me as the sophisticated type to be honest.
    Of course nobody thought of Sean Connery as the sophisticated type prior to Dr.No.
    Very true jaguar :p though Connery benifitted hugely from some coaching from Terrance Young.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Good films:
    60's : FRWL (#2), GF, TB, YOLT OHMSS (#3)
    70's: DAF (#4), TMWTGG (#1), TSWLM, MR (#5)
    80's: FYEO, OP, TLD, LTK
    90's:
    00's:

So, 90's and 00's. If I had to choose... 00's is my least favorite decade.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: 80's: OHMSS, OP, TLD, LTK
    OHMSS???
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting BAIN123: Forgive me Luds but thats a load of bull. Samantha Bond was sassy, humourous and flirtatious. Bliss was just a giggling school-girl who barely got one scene with Dalton during her entire run as Moneypenny. She wasn't the sexy female she should be. Not entirely her fault as the script didn't really allow her to do much but IMO the chemistry between Bond and Brosnan is FAR more obvious. You can really tell they get on with one another.
    What I intended to say is that I sensed no more chemistry between Brosnan and Bond than any other of Brosnan's ladies which was little, not the other Pennies. I sensed no chemistry in GE, her "strong" character felt extremely forced compared to her predecessors. In TND, her dialog is ridiculous, just plain bad. In TWINE it's a bit better, but forgettable, same as DAD. I really don't sense much chemistry.

For Dalton, there isn't much chemistry either, he sees her as an annoyance, a little girl who's enamoured with him, he just lives with it. No worries there.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Quoting JBFan626: OHMSS???
    I meant FYEO... :O
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 2,491
    @connerybond definitely 60s? i think you misread,it is the least favourite decade not most liked :).
    and my vote goes to 70s too altough i dont have nothing wrong with all the movies there isnt great movie.all are ok but none of them is great.in other decades i can find atleast one or more good/great movies
    edit-not to do double post i think that sean bean would be bond but after craig.but sean bean from GE not now cause he isnt at right age to be Bond i guess,i so used to this "young" Bond and now i cant get used to "older" Bond :)
  • My vote goes to the 70s as well. TSWLM is the only redeeming film of that decade.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I guess it's a toss-up between the '80s and the '90s, for me...

The '80s
    FYEO - Like
    OP - Meh
    AVTAK - Really like
    TLD - Can take or leave
    LTK - Yuk

The '90s
    GE - Love
    TND - Can take or leave
    TWINE - Hmmm...

Make of that what you will... ;)
    Quoting Luds: I sensed no chemistry in GE, her "strong" character felt extremely forced
    compared to her predecessors. In TND, her dialog is ridiculous, just plain bad.
    In TWINE it's a bit better, but forgettable, same as DAD. I really don't sense
    much chemistry.

Well I have to respectfully disagree with you there. I thought it was painfully obvious myself and those scenes were one of the highlights of the Brosnan era for me. (James) Bond enjoyed the banter with MP and MP revelled in giving as much as she could back ("the cunning linguist line always amuses me").

"For Dalton, there isn't much chemistry either, he sees her as an annoyance, a little girl who's enamoured with him, he just lives with it. No worries there."

That should NEVER be Moneypenny. MP should be about flirtation, about playful banter, about suggestion - not some school-girl crush.