Connections of Non Bond Films with Bond films

Comments

• edited April 2016 Posts: 4,026
    I'd never heard of OSS 117. That trailer looked great.

So the novels started before 007, and there are about 200 of them?

In the original series of movies there is one called 'Pas De Roses Pour OSS 117' which stars (almost Bond) John Gavin, plus Curd Jurgens and Luciana Paluzzi.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    vzok wrote: »
    I'd never heard of OSS 117. That trailer looked great.

So the novels started before 007, and there are about 200 of them?

In the original series of movies there is one called 'Pas De Roses Pour OSS 117' which stars (almost Bond) John Gavin, plus Curd Jurgens and Luciana Paluzzi.
    Yes indeed. The first novel was published in 1949. And the first OSS 117, I believe was released in 1956, a rarity to find when you're looking for it and perhaps the only OSS 117 film to stay truthful to the spirit of the books.

The OSS 117 films released in the 1960s have mimicked the 007 formula from head to toe, even the way the characters wear. I'd recommend especially the films with Frederick Stafford as the titular character, he interpreted that Connery-like presence most perfectly, and one of his stories (an original story) was written by Terence Young of the Bond fame, which inspired the premise of both You Only Live Twice and The Spy Who Loved Me.

OSS 117: Double Agent with John Gavin as the secret agent has big connections to many incidents regarding On Her Majesty's Secret Service and includes a few Bond alumnus (Luciana Paluzzi and Curd Jurgens). There's a scene on a beach where OSS 117 rescues a damsel in distress, and then there's the fact that change of actors (from Stafford to Gavin, due to the former being unavailable for the role when he was shooting Hitchcock's Topaz with Karin Dor) is explained through plastic surgery, something that was proposed for the Bond character for OHMSS when plans were made to include Connery for a brief moment with his face changing via plastic surgery to become Lazenby. I don't think these were coincidences. :D
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Munich (2005) - stars Daniel Craig, Mattieu Amalric, Michael Lonsdale
    The Matrix Reloaded and Revoltions (2003) - stars Monica Bellucci and Anthony Zerbe
    Escape to Athena (1979) - stars Roger Moore, Telly Savalas and Paul Stassino
    Tiger Bay (1959) - stars Anthony Dawson and Paul Stassino
    A Night to Remember (1958) stars Honor Blackman, Sean Connery and Desmond Llewelyn are extras
    Shalako (1968) - stars Sean Connery and Honor Blackman
    Entrapment (1999) - stars Sean Connery and David Yip
    Full Metal Jacket (1987) - stars John Terry and Papillon Soo Soo
    Ronin (1998) - stars Michael Lonsdale, Sean Bean and Jonathan Pryce
    The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) - stars Bruce Glover, Yaphet Kotto and Faye Dunaway (considered to play Tracy in OHMSS)
    The Wild Geese (1978) - stars Roger Moore, titles by Maurice Binder, Production Designer Syd Cain, edited by John Glen
    Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Gerry Gavigan and Terry Madden (assistant directors), stars Julian Glover and Jeremy Bulloch
    Return of the Jedi (1983) - Gerry Gavigan and Terry Madden (assistant directors), stars Jeremy Bulloch, DoP - Alan Hume
    North Sea Hijack (1979) - stars Roger Moore, George Baker and David Hedison
    Man on Fire (2004) - stars Christopher Walken and Giancarlo Giannini
    The Anderson Tapes (1971) - stars Sean Connery and Christopher Walken
    The Fourth Protocol (1987) - stars Pierce Brosnan and Julian Glover
    American Beauty (1999) - directed by Sam Mendes, music by Thomas Newman
    The Dogs of War (1980) - stars Christopher Walken, Pedro Armendariz Jr and Shane Rimmer
    Die Hard (1988) - stars Robert Davi and Grand L. Bush, music by Michael Kamen
    Lethal Weapon (1987) - stars Grand L. Bush, music by Michael Kamen
    Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) - stars Grand L. Bush, music by Michael Kamen
    Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) - stars Lea Seydoux and Andreas Wisniewski
    Layer Cake (2004) - stars Daniel Craig and Ben Whishaw
    The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - stars Lea Seydoux and Ralph Fiennes
    Triple Cross (1966) - directed by Terence Young, stars Gert Frobe, Claudine Auger, Luciana Paluzzi, Francis de Woolf
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - stars Christopher Lee, Sean Bean, John Rhys Davies
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - stars Christopher Lee, John Rhys Davies
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003- extended) - stars Christopher Lee, Sean Bean, John Rhys Davies
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's a pretty comprehensive list @tanaka123, but missing one:

Force 10 From Navarone (1978) starring Robert Shaw, Barbara Bach, Edward Fox & Richard Kiel. Directed by Guy Hamilton
    Day of the Jackal : features Michael Lonsdale and Edward Fox (and the OAS, who helped Bond and Draco in the novel OHMSS)
    Gerard wrote: »
    Day of the Jackal : features Michael Lonsdale and Edward Fox (and the OAS, who helped Bond and Draco in the novel OHMSS)
    Also, Roger Moore was preferred for the lead by producer John Woolf but was overruled by director Fred Zinnemann, who thought he was too famous.
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's a pretty comprehensive list @tanaka123, but missing one:

Force 10 From Navarone (1978) starring Robert Shaw, Barbara Bach, Edward Fox & Richard Kiel. Directed by Guy Hamilton

Yes, I was trying to find something to do to take me away from the agony of following Hull City's score today!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    'The International' (2009) - stars Ulrich Thomsen and Ben Whishaw.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The Indy series has a load of Bond actors as well.
    Not to mention, it was Spielberg's answer to Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Szonana wrote: »
    The mother of the title of this thread is of course:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Isn't that a musical?
    Or am i confusing it with another film

Yep. But written by Fleming. Complete with Villain and gadget laden car.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo stars Daniel Craig and Steven Berkoff
    The Golden Compass stars Daniel Craig and Christopher Lee.
    Sharpe's Eagle stars Sean Bean, Gavin O'Herlihy, and Daniel Craig
    Wedding Crashers stars Christopher Walken and Jane Seymour (to the best of my knowledge the only time a former Bond villain and former Bond girl have starred as a married couple)
    TripAces wrote: »

And Eva Green. Let's not forget Eva Green.

Speaking of which : if we can move to TV series, "Penny Dreadful" qualifies : Eva Green and Timothy Dalton.

And although lots of Bondian performers have played in Doctor Who (Honor Blackman, Diana Rigg, Vernon Dobtcheff, etc.), one can agree that the most bondian episode was "City of Death" : Julian Glover, Catherine Schell and John Cleese.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,130
    I just watched for the first time in my lifeMI 1 and like skyfall had the List of uncovered agents subplot.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I just watched for the first time in my lifeMI 1 and like skyfall had the List of uncovered agents subplot.

Yes, P&W went out of their way to recycle anything to come up with the genius script for Skyfall :))
  • Szonana wrote: »

Yes, P&W went out of their way to recycle anything to come up with the genius script for Skyfall :))

There isn't even a point to it really. Bond doesn't even get back the list for crying out loud.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

There isn't even a point to it really. Bond doesn't even get back the list for crying out loud.

Well he got a bigger mission of saving M but, it pains me to say MIssion Impossible did the plot of the list better.
    I need to watch MI 2 but outside of Ghost protocol is a franchise almost as strong as Bond. I guess slightly better in just action alone but I still prerfer Bond as a whole package much more glamour and Bond is a better character than Ethan but MI left a great impression on me.

The scene of changing the disquets to get the list is really tense and ethan almost touching the floor is really edge of your seat action .

But the list in SF isn't the main plot point, it's just a Macguffin to set the main plot which is Silva getting his revenge on M - it's one part of the whole plot - not the driving force of the plot. Whereas in M:I it's central to Hunt finding out who Job is as he makes his better offer to Max.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Spectre - John Logan Screenwriter - a son is jealous of his father's father-like affection to someone else

Gladiator - John Logan Screenwriter - a son is jealous of his father's father-like affection to someone else

That's a good spot.

Worked in Gladiator better than it did in Spectre!

tanaka123 wrote: »
    Spectre - John Logan Screenwriter - a son is jealous of his father's father-like affection to someone else

Gladiator - John Logan Screenwriter - a son is jealous of his father's father-like affection to someone else

That's a good spot.

Worked in Gladiator better than it did in Spectre!

Yeah it's more natural in Gladiator and works because we have scenes between Richard Harris and Russell Crowe - establishing their father/son relationship - it's not shoe-horned in like in Spectre it follows the narrative arc of the film. We have this relationship - Richard Harris dies - the maligned son has his chance at the film's climax to get Crowe back.
    Not to mention 'plane hook' from LTK copied in TDKR.

Chris Nolan does love his Bond films!

Don't forget the OHMSS 'homage' in Inception!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Nolan is clearly a man of taste, despite the 'boring' TDKR!
    suavejmf wrote: »

I loved TDKR...! It's my favourite of the three!

It's not my favourite, but I really like it too. The Nolan Bat trilogy is a work of art imho. As good as the LTR trilogy.
    it pains me to say MIssion Impossible did the plot of the list better.
    I need to watch MI 2 but outside of Ghost protocol is a franchise almost as strong as Bond. I guess slightly better in just action alone but I still prerfer Bond as a whole package much more glamour and Bond is a better character than Ethan but MI left a great impression on me.
    If you've not already done so, you should watch MI-RN. That is my favourite of the bunch. A superb piece of film making.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    La Tarantola del Ventre Nero (a.k.a. Black Belly of the Tarantula).

Italian giallo film featuring Barbara Bach, Claudine Auger and Barbara Bouchet . :x
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,447
    I also try to select some intresting ones you mabey not know about or actor/actres be in movie you mabey not expect so fast from them.

Stolen (2012) - Same location in New Orleans 49 years later after Live and Let Die (1973)

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) Year of Thunderball and starring Bernard Lee (M in Dr No till Moonraker)
    The Fourth Protocol (1987) DOP Phil Meheux* (Goldeneye and CR) Production Designer Allan Cameron (Tomorrow Never Dies) and starring Pierce Brosnan and Julian Glover (FYEO).
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) Composed by Michael Kamen (LTK) Starring Sean Connery. Making off on BD release starring Pierce Brosnan.
    Bed And Breakfast (1991) With Roger Moore.
    The Saint (1997) DOP Phil Meheux. Editor Terry Rawlings (Goldeneye) Roger Moore Voice.
    Entrapment (1999) Dop Phil Meheux Starring Sean Connery.
    The Mummy (1999) DOP Adrian Biddle (Twine) Production Designer Allan Cameron. Starring Rachel Weisz (Daniel Craig his girlfriend and she look like very much on younger version of Judi Dench.)
    Vertical Limit (2000) Directed by Martin Campbell, Second United directer Simon Crane, DOP David Tattersal (DAD), Pilot Marc Wolff (OHMSS/Twine/Spectre) and with Izabella Scorupco (Goldeneye)
    The Hulk (2003) Fantastic Four (2005) Written by Michael France (Goldeneye)
    Tomb Raider 2 (2003) Costume Design Lindy Hemming, DOP David Tattersal (DAD), second united directer Simon Crane. Starring Gerard Butler (Tomorrow Never Dies)
    Beyond Borders (2003) Directed by Martin Campbell DOP Phil Meheux, Second United Directer Simon Crane.
    The Chronicles of Riddick (2004), J Edgar (2011) and POTC 4 (2011) starring Judi Dench.
    Ocean's Twelve (2004) Starring Robbie Coltrane (GE, Twine) and Jeroen Krabbe (TLD)
    Io sono l'amore (2009) Gabriele Ferzetti (Draco/Tracy father in OHMSS)
    Narnia 3 (2010) Directed by Michael Apted (Twine) and composed by David Arnold
    The Tourist (2010) Timothy Dalton and Steven Berkoff (Octopussy)
    The Three Musketeers (2011) Mads Mikkelsen and Christopher Waltz
    November Man (2014) Pierce Brosnan and Olga Kurylenko

If like to see another movie with Max von Sydow (Never Say Never Again), then for example:
    Minority Report, Rush Hour 3, What Dreams May Come, Robin Hood ''2010'', The Wolfman,
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and Shutter Island

* Also on The Mask of Zorro and Legend of Zorro with Martin Campbell.
    "The Cannonball Run" : starring Roger Moore (and Sammy Davis Jr., who appeared in DAF, in a deleted scene), along with the DB5.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Gerard wrote: »

And Eva Green. Let's not forget Eva Green.

Speaking of which : if we can move to TV series, "Penny Dreadful" qualifies : Eva Green and Timothy Dalton.

And although lots of Bondian performers have played in Doctor Who (Honor Blackman, Diana Rigg, Vernon Dobtcheff, etc.), one can agree that the most bondian episode was "City of Death" : Julian Glover, Catherine Schell and John Cleese.

Oh good lord, yes, how could I have overlooked that?

On a separate note, DC and Ben Whishaw also starred together in Enduring Love, along with Helen McCrory.

The Russia House starred Sean Connery and Nicholas Woodeson (the psychologist in SF). The film also reunited Connery with NSNA co-star Klaus Maria Brandauer.
    On a separate note, DC and Ben Whishaw also starred together in Enduring Love, along with Helen McCrory.
    And in Layer Cake (minus Helen).
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

It's not my favourite, but I really like it too. The Nolan Bat trilogy is a work of art imho. As good as the LTR trilogy.
    it pains me to say MIssion Impossible did the plot of the list better.
    If you've not already done so, you should watch MI-RN. That is my favourite of the bunch. A superb piece of film making.

I already did watch it and loved it.
    It was great, i was doubting to watch this at first because Ghost Protocol bored me to death and left a bad impression on me but Rouge Nation got back on track i loved Rouge Nation which has the similar plot of Spectre of the secret evil organization which in this case is the syndicate.