Sam Worthington not worried about narrowly missing out on 007 role

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited September 2011 in News Posts: 677
In a recent interview with <a href = "http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/glad-hes-not-james-bond-20110930-1l0du.html"; target = "_blank">SMH</a>, the Australian actor admitted he was not at all bothered about losing out on the role of James Bond 007 to Daniel Craig.

He insists he wasn't disappointed to lose out on the suave spy role, because there is so much pressure attached to playing the character.

"I wasn't gutted at the time, man. It didn't bother me in the slightest because you can learn from it and go, 'Do you know what? I wouldn't want to see a James Bond movie with me in it anyway,'" he laughed.

"The last time there was an Australian as James Bond it was George Lazenby and he f**ked it up. I don't want to be the new f**king George Lazenby. But you know, I learned a lot from that, which I took into the Avatar auditions."

<a href = "http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/glad-hes-not-james-bond-20110930-1l0du.html"; target = "_blank">Read the complete interview</a>.

Comments

I like Worthington as an actor but yea not as Bond. The Lazenby comment was funny (even though i kinda sorta like him).

But Worthington has a great career now so it all worked out
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,310
    What a shot Worthington took at Lazenby there!

It's too bad that Lazenby is a better Bond than Worthington could have ever hoped to have been.
    Lazenby is a better actor than Worthington could ever hope to be, period. And I think Lazenby is a horrible actor.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Lazenby is a better actor than Worthington could ever hope to be, period.
    (Imagine Le Chiffre's voice: ) You are a funny man, shadowonthesun!
  • Lazenby is a better actor than Worthington could ever hope to be, period.
    (Imagine Le Chiffre's voice: ) You are a funny man, shadowonthesun!
    He can't act?!!! You're joking of course.

He was excellent in the rather brilliant The Shield, enuff said.
    Wait, I've never said he can't act! I think he is a good actor and definitely way better than Lazenby.
    If I had to grade them, I'd say it would go something like this:

Megan Fox, the Carboard Box

George Lazenby

Clive Owen

Inanimate carbon rod

Sam Worthington
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    "'Do you know what? I wouldn't want to see a James Bond movie with me in it anyway,'"
    That makes two of us.
  • Until we've seen Worthington as Bond, a negative comparison is definitely one made wearing Lazenby colored glasses ;-)
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 2,782
    If I had to grade them, I'd say it would go something like this:

Megan Fox, the Carboard Box

George Lazenby

Clive Owen

Inanimate carbon rod

Sam Worthington

Shadowonthesun

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Alright @forgotmyusername, grow up please.

I've never been a fan of Worthington, but if he thinks Lazenby was bad, I wonder what he thinks about Moore's Bond??.....
  • I don't know about what he thinks, but I'd take Moore Bond over Lazenby easy. The only Bond I find worse than Lazers is Brosnan's.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Worthington is of course not a horrible actor, given the proper part that is. I believe his range is very limited though. A dumbed down, muscle requiring action part might do, provided he needs not convey too many emotions. As Bond, he'd have to display charisma, which I do not think he possesses. Clearly he can fit any action role with sufficient decency, but more in the B-movie section than, say, in a Michael Mann directed action epic. I can see this man kindle our wilder dreams as a secondary character in the next Fast & Furious. I cannot, however, see him grow to the level of lead actor in a film like HEAT.

As for his Lazenby comment, if he means it at least, I'd say he should commit himself to a bit more modesty. Lazenby had the potential to grow into a superb Bond. Failing to appreciate that, Worthington should refrain from making such delicate remarks in public. I've seen Avatar (twice heaven forbid) and all I can say is he's already reached the pinnacle of his acting if you ask me... which makes him suitable for the B-level action flick I mentioned earlier.

Bond? Nope.
  • Alright @forgotmyusername, grow up please.

I confess to the exaggeration you identified. This technique is sometimes used in humor.
    Good Wouldn't wan't him

He can't act and he can't decide if he is a Yank or a Aussie

(No offense intended to people of theses countries)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The only Bond I find worse than Lazers is Brosnan's.
    I'm gonna pretend like I didn't just read that.