Bond movie ranking: #06 - Bond films that profit most from the score.

124»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jaws falling into the circus tent. The scene could have ended with Moore pulling his rip-cord and escaping Jaws clutches.

And then remove him from the rest of the film.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Jaws falling into the circus tent. The scene could have ended with Moore pulling his rip-cord and escaping Jaws clutches.

And then remove him from the rest of the film.

That would be difficult from an editing perspective.

He permeates the film like the words in a stick of rock.
    The removal would have to happen in the script process, not the editing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The removal would have to happen in the script process, not the editing.

Bit late now!

I basically love DAF & MR for all the reasons a lot of people despise them like fat Connery with a bad rug, drag queen Blofeld, pun-spewing henchmen, cartoon Jaws, and Bond in outer space. I love a change of pace every once in awhile from the more grounded plots. I get a big kick out of these two and the "flaws" become part of the charm for me.
  • KaijuDirectorOO7KaijuDirectorOO7 Once Upon a Time Somewhere...
    josiah wrote: »
    I basically love DAF & MR for all the reasons a lot of people despise them like fat Connery with a bad rug, drag queen Blofeld, pun-spewing henchmen, cartoon Jaws, and Bond in outer space. I love a change of pace every once in awhile from the more grounded plots. I get a big kick out of these two and the "flaws" become part of the charm for me.

Agreed. Plus John Barry's music - as usual - makes both worthwhile.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2016 Posts: 9,020
    BEST BOND FILM BY SCORE

Which Bond films do you think profit the most from the score, hence you would watch for the score alone!

1 AVTAK - clearly the biggest gap between overall quality of the film and the score
    2 TB - might be a bit of a bore in places but the score is bloody brilliant
    3 QOS - even at the epileptic editing job, QOS excels with the best score of David Arnold
    4 MR - cheesy as hell, but boy knows John Barry how to put out a hell of a score!
    5 DAF - cheesy and silly as hell, but boy knows John Barry how to put out a hell of a score!
    6 TWINE - the worst directing job in the series gets one of the very best scores
    MR, AVTAK, DAF are very good picks. I would also throw in YOLT.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,844
    As much as I genuinely love A View to a Kill for all kinds of reasons (nostalgic and non-nostalgic), surely this is the singular Bond film where the sublimity of the music far outshines the quality of the film itself and in fact elevates the onscreen story far above and beyond what it otherwise would have been. As much as I enjoy the music for Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker, I can't say either of those scores worked the same kind of transformative magic as A View to a Kill's did.

(Contrast this with Dr. No where the quality of the film itself soars despite a horrendously clunky score that appears to be actively combatting the movie's innate magic and charisma.)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    AVTAK
    OHMSS
    MR
    DAF
    YOLT

The music of all of those films are outstanding and Barry's best works. The man is a master at what he does. Each one of those scores has a different and unique feel to them and each one brings so much enjoyment to my ears.
  • You Only Live Twice is another good one—a case where the music quite deceptively adds layers of depth and beauty to an otherwise perfectly superficial story.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    In terms of which is the worst film improved with the best musical score I have two:

DAF - the score adds to the mystery of Wint and Kidd and the diamonds themselves. I couldn't imagine this film without it. Also it uses my beloved 007 theme for the finale. And DAF is near the bottom of bond films for me but elements of this score are magical (although sometimes randomly placed! And the xylophone accompanied moon buggy chase is weird!)

AVTAK - this is a brilliant Barry score - my second favourite after OHMSS. It elevates material which is ordinary - like the PTS or not convincing - like the Bond and Stacey romance - with tunes that are perfect.

I actually really like MR - so while the score is amazing - I don't think it 'saves' it in any sense.

If I was to add one it would actually be TND - but that film without that score would still work ok - but I think TND is significantly elevated by Arnold's work.

• edited November 2016 Posts: 1,009
    OHMMS: The movie is great as it is, but the bombastic, updated, action-packed soundtrack just rounds it.
    AVTAK: Rousing guitars and a very 80s feel without renouncing to orchestral epics.
    MR: It may be a bit boring to listen on record, but man, it sounds glorious in the movie.
    CR'67: Bacharach's score is still one of the funniest and happy-go-lucky musical works in Cinema history.
    DAF: Barry captures the zany nature of this film with funny tunes (including my favorite piece of him, "Q's Trick"), erotic pieces and action-packed cues. One of the reasons DAF remains a personal favorite of mine.
  • Moonraker - One of Barry's best. I don't really have a "#1 Barry score" but this is a contender.

Quantum of Solace - Arnold's best work, fills in some of the emotional gaps and builds atmosphere.

Could think of more but I'm tired.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Every Barry score raises the quality of its particular film, obviously. But, to me, these are the standouts.

GF - not a bad film by any means, but Barry certainly did his part to make the iconic moments so powerful and memorable. Plus, there is just a certain energy flowing from those brass instruments that gets you excited! It's a key ingredient to GF's success, and I think the film suffers greatly without it.

YOLT - whether it's showcasing the exotic beauty of Japan or creating tension in outer space and/or the volcano lair, this score produces the perfect atmosphere for every scene, and helps to elevate the material considerably.

DAF - this might actually be my pick for the film that profits the most. Barry's music injected mystery, suspense and beauty into a film that might sometimes feel like a B movie without it. Also, some tracks are just plain fun. Barry knew how silly this was, but he couldn't help but be amused by it too.

MR - the space sequences are awe-inspiring. The music does its best to help you buy into the fantasy, which is asking a lot, and for me it delivers in a big way. But the whole soundtrack is majestic, and gives the film a sense of wonder, which makes you feel like you're on a grand adventure. It helps to provide some dignity to the proceedings; a balance to some of the misplaced humor.

AVTAK - Some people hate this film as it is. Can you imagine if it had a lesser score?
  • The final fight in AVTAK atop the Golden Gate bridge is an ultimate testament to Barry's skill as a composer. Without Barry's score it almost looks like one of the silliest fights in the series, but the score transforms it into the best moment in the film.
  • GBFGBF
    The final fight in AVTAK atop the Golden Gate bridge is an ultimate testament to Barry's skill as a composer. Without Barry's score it almost looks like one of the silliest fights in the series, but the score transforms it into the best moment in the film.

I agree. The best way to watch AVTAK is to see it as a 2 hours music video. I love it!
    Do you have a new one, Jason?