The Production Design Thread

2»

Comments

That was a great read! Thanks, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! The Elrod House sure looks like something out of the movies; no wonder Ken Adam fell for it. Probably saved them a lot of cash too - not having to build a complete set or something.

The Making of on Her Majesty's Secret Service by Charles Helfenstein is a very interesting book. I wouldn't be surprised if a "The Making of Diamonds Are Forever" book would be just as good!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Torgeirtrap, DAF's overwhelming use of a lot of real buildings definitely helped cut costs. Howard Hughes allowed the production to shoot at a vast amount of his properties, for instance, and all he wanted in repayment was a print of the film! Quite a swell guy, but I understand he and Cubby were friendly so it's not too surprising. The team found smart ways to make the best of Connery's massive paycheck while still pulling off a film I enjoy.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,279
    @Torgeirtrap, DAF's overwhelming use of a lot of real buildings definitely helped cut costs. Howard Hughes allowed the production to shoot at a vast amount of his properties, for instance, and all he wanted in repayment was a print of the film! Quite a swell guy, but I understand he and Cubby were friendly so it's not too surprising. The team found smart ways to make the best of Connery's massive paycheck while still pulling off a film I enjoy.

A very enjoyable film, as well. Goes to show that EON can make the most out of a smaller budget when needed. Budgets haven't helped the last two films, so I hope they can be more effective with the money this time around - and make it show on screen. DAF got that right, at least.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    To revive this thread, take a look at this Bondian architecture by artist Olafur Eliasson. It was build for the founder of LEGO. Karl Stromberg would have approved.

6064.jpg?w=1300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=11fea4465630694e4b397d8d225a53d4
    beb304666187191508a790b24607df91.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&w=514
    Fjordenhus-Is-a-Modern-Castle-Complete-with-Footbridge-7.jpg
    8614.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=1dfc639bf7706a484583cf4fc8d31b20
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Oh wow. That's very nice.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The building is really unique. Now someone has to write a script that lets Bond go to Vejle.
  • I would have expected the lair of the founder of LEGO to be more fundamentally geometric—or blockish?—in design.
    My goodness that is impressive!!!
    This guy, Thomas Flohr, lives the Bond life style:

15tmag-12well_chalet-t_CA0-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
    13tmag-chalet-t-slide-KLAQ-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
    13tmag-chalet-t-slide-SMVI-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Some people simply have too much money at hand...but a few of them at least spend it in style.
    Going back to Ken Adam, I just stumbled across this nice little collection (which you may have seen already, but I hadn't):
    https://cbsnews.com/pictures/the-fantastic-production-designs-of-ken-adam/
    zebrafish wrote: »

15tmag-12well_chalet-t_CA0-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
    13tmag-chalet-t-slide-KLAQ-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale
    13tmag-chalet-t-slide-SMVI-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

OMG! I love it! When can I move in?!!!!!

That's incredible! Love the office with the lighted map on the wall.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 13,929
    latest?cb=20171216183226

The 'Kartenhoff' meteorite room is a great homage to Ken Adam style sets with the three concentric-ringed steps which, I assume, symbolize the impact and its ripple effect.

This is the Hoba meteorite, found in Namibia (Hoba means 'gift'). It is the largest meteorite known on Earth, and the three steps look to be a direct inspiration on the design of the Bond set:

IMG_5522.jpg
    (it only took me 6 months to stumble over your post @QBranch )
    Yes, this is a nice find! I agree, it's mostl liekly an hommage, since the task of displaying a meteorite somehow more often than not ends in a pedestial set-up (with a mixed exception in the image below from a Chinese museum)

Jilin-Meteorite-Museum_3.jpg

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Jilin-Meteorite-Museum_3.jpg
    MC 'Hauser: "Can't touch this."
    (it only took me 6 months to stumble over your post @QBranch )
    Welcome, zebrafish. It's been a long time. But, finally, here we are. What took you so long?
    Cuckoo! :P
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Now here is a Bond-worthy concept:

Take a cliff, cut a cube out of it and put a swimming pool with glass floors as the roof. Voila, be your own Blofeld! Producers take note, this would be ultra-cool to see on film.

This one here is a far better design. ;)

Cliff_Master_9_0_FinalColorCorrecting-1080x675.jpg

cliff-top-retreat-alex-hogrefe-visualizing-architecture-iceland-conceptual-concrete_dezeen_936_2.jpg

concretehouseiceland2-900x600.jpg