Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

• Alllllllrighty then!

Onto The Man With The Golden Gun.

But first! We tally the scores from this...highly eventful round, and we find that Spectre has fallen to Live and Let Die by a margin of 148-258-11, losing the number of games by a similarly whopping margin, 5-17-1.

PTS: SP
    Title track: TMWTGG (I like it more than most, although it's no leading light)
    Titles: Tie
    Main villain: TMWTGG
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: SP (I. Hate. Nick Nack.)
    Plot: TMWTGG
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: TMWTGG (Barry's worst score, but still: Barry)
    Settings: SP
    Action: TMWTGG (I can't just not give it to the car flip)
    Humour: SP (on the other hand, the slide whistle and JW Pepper give TMWTGG negative points here)
    Cinematography: SP
    Benign Bizarre: TMWTGG (can't argue with a third nipple!)
    Suspense: TMWTGG
    Minor Characters: SP (sorry, Andrea, but JW Pepper cost you again)
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: SP (Moore is, by his own admission, uncomfortable being Bond the bastard)

So we end up with a final total of 10-7-1 in favor of Spectre! Not entirely surprising, given that I have TMWTGG second to last in the overall rankings, but still a fun match. Let's see your scores and let's see how the debates plays out this time around!
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,631
    Title track: TMWTGG
    Titles: SP
    Henchman: SP
    Dialogue: TMWRGG
    Score: TMWTGG
    Action: TMWTGG (I can't just not give it to the car flip)
    Humour: TMWTGG
    Cinematography: TMWTGG
    Benign Bizarre: TMWTGG
    Minor Characters: TMWTGG
    Bond performance: TMWTGG

TMWTGG - 12
    SP - 6

Closer than the previous contests, but not surprising as this is a battle between two of the worst films in the franchise.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited August 2016 Posts: 2,252
    PTS: TMWTGG (I'd rather watch this, thanks Newman)
    Henchman: TMWTGG
    Dialogue: SP (while I don't like the plots, Ithe like the dialogue of SF and SP)
    Action: TMWTGG (both bad but SP is uninspired)
    Humour: SP
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP (neither are fantastic)
    Bond performance: SP

TMWTGG 8
    SP 10

Interestingly SP wins this despite being bottom ranked for me.

EDITED so that there's no tie
    Title track: SP
    Main villain: SP
    Plot: SP
    Action: SP
    Benign Bizarre: SP
    Minor Characters: SP

TMWTGG - 3
    SP - 15

TMWTGGG is knee-deep in this one. :)
    PTS: TMWTGG
    Dialogue: TMWTGG
    Action: TMWTGG

13 - 5 to TMWTGG. Suprising as i rank SP higher.
    GBF wrote: »

I daresay it is you who are disturbed with the reality that there ARE objective standards of quality. The fact that you cannot bowl them out only illuminates your insecurity. So much easier to just offer up an inane platitude such as "Oh, it's all just somebody's opinion!" That's the lamebrain's way out.

Ok then please tell us what defines a good score, what exactly defines a good cinematography, who is "objectively" a good villain and who is a good Bond girl... What is a good Bond performance? I don't think that there does exist any formular which we can apply for measuring whether a Bond film is good or bad. Many here really think that Bond should be like the character they have in mind when reading the novels. Some like the gritty Bond, others prefer the more ironic lighthearted Bond. You just cannot say that the one kind of Bond is objectively better than the other.

Of course the majority of people will always prefer film A (let's say FRWL) over B (let's say DAD) but even this may change over time. OHMSS and TLD are good examples for this.

Answering the question about objectivity and Bond would require a dissertation, and I'm no longer in the business of writing and/or reading them. But I can at least provide a few points that could serve as guideposts.

First--and most abstractly--Plato, among others who have echoed him down through the millennia, believed in a higher, objective plane of reality in which all forms of our world are present in perfect and hierarchical aspect. The fact that these perfect forms exist proves that there is an objective reality, and if there is an objective reality, then opinions about forms cannot be equal in their correlation with the perfection of individual forms. Some people have opinions that veer wide of the Platonic mark, while others are much closer to it. But the important thing to keep in mind is that the perfected form, even of DAD, exists. And most of us would rightly argue that Tamahori's rendition of DAD fell far short of its Platonic ideal. Buried in that filmic mess is potentially a brilliant film, believe it or not.

As to the rest, I don't have time to go into detail right now, but critical and popular opinion in the here and now, and more important, critical and popular opinion about a given form diachronically, are reasonably good measures of merit. In other words, if a particular picture, or a particular score in a particular picture, passes the bars right now and over the longue duree, there is a very good chance that they have come reasonably close to approximating their Platonic ideal. And when it comes to musical composition, among other artistic activities, the sophistication and complexity of a given composition point to greatness. Beethoven's string quartets don't just accidentally appeal to us; their compositional sophistication confer a richness upon the works that goes a long way toward making them appealing.

As I said, this is merely the tip of a colossal and recondite iceberg, and the Internet is hardly a format that lends itself to this sort of exposition. The bite rules on the Internet, as well it should.

What an absolute load of bollocks.

Devastating rebuttal. I concede you the victory.

GBF wrote: »

I daresay it is you who are disturbed with the reality that there ARE objective standards of quality. The fact that you cannot bowl them out only illuminates your insecurity. So much easier to just offer up an inane platitude such as "Oh, it's all just somebody's opinion!" That's the lamebrain's way out.

Ok then please tell us what defines a good score, what exactly defines a good cinematography, who is "objectively" a good villain and who is a good Bond girl... What is a good Bond performance? I don't think that there does exist any formular which we can apply for measuring whether a Bond film is good or bad. Many here really think that Bond should be like the character they have in mind when reading the novels. Some like the gritty Bond, others prefer the more ironic lighthearted Bond. You just cannot say that the one kind of Bond is objectively better than the other.

Of course the majority of people will always prefer film A (let's say FRWL) over B (let's say DAD) but even this may change over time. OHMSS and TLD are good examples for this.

Answering the question about objectivity and Bond would require a dissertation, and I'm no longer in the business of writing and/or reading them. But I can at least provide a few points that could serve as guideposts.

First--and most abstractly--Plato, among others who have echoed him down through the millennia, believed in a higher, objective plane of reality in which all forms of our world are present in perfect and hierarchical aspect. The fact that these perfect forms exist proves that there is an objective reality, and if there is an objective reality, then opinions about forms cannot be equal in their correlation with the perfection of individual forms. Some people have opinions that veer wide of the Platonic mark, while others are much closer to it. But the important thing to keep in mind is that the perfected form, even of DAD, exists. And most of us would rightly argue that Tamahori's rendition of DAD fell far short of its Platonic ideal. Buried in that filmic mess is potentially a brilliant film, believe it or not.

As to the rest, I don't have time to go into detail right now, but critical and popular opinion in the here and now, and more important, critical and popular opinion about a given form diachronically, are reasonably good measures of merit. In other words, if a particular picture, or a particular score in a particular picture, passes the bars right now and over the longue duree, there is a very good chance that they have come reasonably close to approximating their Platonic ideal. And when it comes to musical composition, among other artistic activities, the sophistication and complexity of a given composition point to greatness. Beethoven's string quartets don't just accidentally appeal to us; their compositional sophistication confer a richness upon the works that goes a long way toward making them appealing.

As I said, this is merely the tip of a colossal and recondite iceberg, and the Internet is hardly a format that lends itself to this sort of exposition. The bite rules on the Internet, as well it should.

What an absolute load of bollocks.

Devastating rebuttal. I concede you the victory.
    Please be quiet.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Settings: TMWTGG
    Glamour: TMWTGG

TMWTGG: 12
    SP: 6

I have both close in my rankings, but within these categories TMWTGG wins many by a slight margin.
    PTS: Gun (the most interesting of the series, particularly from an aesthetic standpoint)
    Title track: SP (TWOTW is almost unlistenable; TMWTGG is unlistenable)
    Main villain: Gun
    Henchman: SP (although Nick Nack is a classic henchman in his own right)
    Dialogue: Gun (Rog has a plethora of excellent one-liners in this one)
    Score: Gun (nothing in SP's score is remotely memorable)
    Settings: SP (although I like Gun's southeast Asian settings very well)
    Humour: Gun
    Cinematography: SP (however, the aerial filming as Bond flies into Scaramanga's island is excellent)
    Benign Bizarre: SP (Gun is a strong contender, though, with the fun house, "Nick Nack, Tabasco!" and the strange landscapes of the Thai islands)
    Suspense: Gun
    Minor Characters: Gun (Lazar, Hai Fat, Saida, Chula among many others)
    Bond performance: Gun (DC is great, but this may be my favorite Rog performance

Gun - 8
    SP - 10
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Let's ignore the troll and move on to the next game.

Right, Skeezix. The troll who originated this game and has posted on this site since November 27, 2004.

Right, Skeezix. The troll who originated this game and has posted on this site since November 27, 2004.
    Oh another learned missive from Dr P Hiss..... don't think I forget what you said you ugly man.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

SP: 11
    TMWTGG: 7
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    PTS: SP (One of Spectre's high points...if you'll pardon the pun)

Title track: TMWTGG (Lyrically it's poor - but musically I prefer it. The Writing's on the Wall illustrates what doesn't sit right with me about Spectre - it is a slow, heartfelt ballad that meditates on the past, loss and fear. That's not what I desired from Bond 24 - especially after all the loss and past issues dealt with in QoS and SF. Spectre seems at war with itself to define the tone of the film.)

Titles: SP (Spectre's is weird - but I do like some of the imagery. And it least it evolves and moves. TMWTGG is uninspired and languid.)

Main villain: TMWTGG (Come on - Christopher Lee!)

Main Bond Girl: SP (By default - Goodnight is awful and insulting. One problem I have with Spectre is the chemistry between Seadoyx and Craig. It should pop like with Eva Green - but just doesn't, no matter how long they spend attempting to manufacture it. But I remember being impressed when she came firing at Hinx in the train fight.)

Henchman: SP (Nick nack is fun but Hinx is a real threat)

Plot: TMWTGG (Solex be damned - it's really only an excuse for the island to blow up but I like the first half of the plot of MWTGG. The idea of the world's best assassin vs James Bond is fantastic. And certainly more intriguing than SP's)

Dialogue: SP (This is really tough - mainly because both have a couple of cringey moments - TMWTGG has some good stuff with Scaramanga and the Lazar scene but that's almost it. For SP I like Bond vs White, All Q's dialogue, M and Moneypenny's exchanges, and of course now we know what C stands for...)

Score: TMWTGG (Barry over Newman any day for Bond)

Settings: TMWTGG (Spectre almost wins this but I've got to go for TMWTGG - James Bond Island is iconic and one of the Bond locations I desperately want to visit and Thailand is exotic.)

Action: SP (Really like SP's action - TMWTGG does tension in the funhouse and of course the car stunt - but I could watch the PTS and the Hinx fight every day)

Humour: SP (The humour in TMWTGG is slapstick - dojo fights, JW Pepper and Mexican screw offs - whatever the hell that is - and goodnight stupidity. SP actually does some broad humour quite well - considering it has Craig as Bond I never thought that possible - again, wish they had continued with it instead of getting all dark and moody.)

Cinematography: SP (Quite beautifully shot. But at times too many vistas and wide shots. The filter isn't my favourite but it looks great most of the time. TMWTGG looks a little cheap.)

Benign Bizarre: TMWTGG (TMWTGG has this in spades).

Suspense: TMWTGG (Both these films have tense scenes but never sustain it over the course of a film or even really an act - I think TMWTGG does it best with The funhouse sequences working well and the bottoms up shooting.)

Minor Characters: TMWTGG (Close but I'll give this for Andera Anders - her tragic figure seems like it's from a different film - and especially Lazar - but it also contains some terrible ones for me - JW Pepper's return. While SP has Mr White and the MI6 team.)

Glamour: SP (Partly down to how it is shot - but also because it has glamour to burn with Rome, Day of the Dead ceremonies, Swiss Alp health clinics, white tuxedos and slinky dresses meeting in train compartments. Spectre looks a million bucks...or should that be 250 Million bucks?)

Bond performance: SP (I really like Craig's performance in this - yes, I'm in the 'he's-not-phoning-it-in-camp')

TMWTGG - 8
    SP - 10

Closer than I suspected. I thought Spectre would win a bit clearer than that. This is the fifth or sixth time I've done this comparison thread and the first where I've wanted to watch both of them again right now. I've warmed to TMWTGG over the last couple of years - it was always in the bottom three for me with DAF and DAD - but I think it's actually climbing back up as I rewatch it. It will never be top ten - but neither will Spectre.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The Man with the Golden Gun vs. Spectre

Title credits: SP

TMWTGG- 11
    SP- 7

The closest yet.
  • GBFGBF

PTS: TMWTGG (I like it more. I think TMWTGG has one of the best even if Bond is not in it)
    Title track: TMWTGG (I really dislike TWOTW)
    Title credits: TMWTGG (Never cared for these Octopussies and never really understood their meaning)
    Main villain: TMWTGG (A top 5 vs a bottom 5 villain)
    Main Bond Girl: SP (A top 5 vs. bottom 5)
    Henchman: TMWTGG (Nick Nack is iconic and stands out, Hinx is just srong but has no personality and dies/disappears too early in the film. He is a wasted character)
    Plot: TMWTGG (both are not the best. The solex plot is terrible but the idea of Bond vs. the world's best assassin is great. Plus SP's adopted brother story gives it to TMWTGG.
    Dialogue: tie (both have some good moments)
    Score: TMWTGG (Barry's worst is still better than Newman)
    Settings: TMWTGG (Scaramanga's island is absolutely iconic).
    Action: TMWTGG (I am just bored by Sp action whereas I really like the carchase in TMWTGG, plus the best car stunt in cinematic history).
    Humour: tie (can't really decide, both have some good but also some bad moments)
    Cinematography: SP (top3 for me behind Skyfall and OHMSS)
    Suspense: TMWTGG (TMWTGG slightly wins because of the great PTS and the great climax, Sp has some good moments in the first half, too but loses steam in the second half)
    Minor Characters: Sp (Andrea Anders is one of my favourite minor characters, however Lieutenant Hip is propbably my least favourite ally and the nieces are also silly) SP has good minor characters like Sciara and Mr. White.
    Bond performance: tie
    . (Roger Moore is my favourite Bond actor but I don't really like his performance in TMWTGG. Craig is also a bit on autopilot in SP.

TMWTGG- 11
    SP- 4
    Tie - 3

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

PTS: SP I think the helicopter fight is very underrated, and Ilove the day of the dead parade, very Thunderball-ish.

Title track: SP. I find TMWTGG one of the most boring songs in the frenchise. Not that TWOT is that good a song though.

Title credits: SP. I love the octopus, the thread with it's tentacle's around every corner.

Main villain: TMWTGG What can I say? The best part of the film, the Chemistry between Bond and Scaramanga works fantastically.

Main Bond Girl: SP, obviously. Not only do I love Lea, i have absolutely no love for Maud Adams.

Henchman: SP. Hinx is very threatening, NicNac is there for laughs.

Plot: Tie. TMWTGG is based on Fleming but very poorly executed, with the solar agitator as useless add-on. SP has, in it's information threat, an interesting plot, which is overshadowed by again a useless add-on in the shared history. The film would've been so, so much better without this. I blame (on no grounds whatsoever, except for their habbit of putting in something personal) Purvis and Wade. It weakens the story instead of strengthening it.

Dialogue: TMWTGG. Based solely on Lazar.

Score: SP. Sorry Barry!!

Settings: SP. More diverse, and where SP has several interesting locations, TMWTGG has only one.

Action:SP. Helicopter and Hinx do win this from the car-stunt.

Humour: TMWTGG. Even though it's a bit over the top and cringeworthy, Moore can deliver.

Benign Bizarre: TMWTGG. Nipple and fun-house.

Suspense: TMWTGG Here the PTS does get some points, and the final fight is suspenseful, whearas SP isn't as suspenseful as it should have been.

Minor Characters: SP, the Sciara's, White.

Bond performance: SP. I don't think, as many do, he was phoning it in.

TMWTGG- 6
    SP- 11
    Tie - 1

Oh another learned missive from Dr P Hiss..... don't think I forget what you said you ugly man.

Think you forget? Ha. I hope everything I said is burned into your tiny little brain.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We're back on track with a new round finally, so if you two must continue to engage one another, keep it in PM's, please.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Titles: TMWTGG
    Main Bond Girl: TMWTGG Mary, not Andrea.

10 - 8 to TMWTGG. Suprising really.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Main Bond Girl: TMWTGG
    Plot: TMWTGG (Gets a bit muddled, but not as bad as the step brother/SPECTRE/Nine Eyes debacle)

TMWTGG wins, 13-5.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We're back on track with a new round finally, so if you two must continue to engage one another, keep it in PM's, please.
    I don't keep track of my pathetic grudges in Microsoft Beefkeeper like the learned P Hiss, so no I won't be engaging any further. I apologize if I derailed anything.

It's interesring to see TMWTGG coming out on top of SPECTRE s often. :)
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited August 2016 Posts: 2,252
    TALLY SO FAR
    Brackets is number of wins

SP 117 (3)
    DN 171 (14)

SP 35 (0)
    FRWL 217 (14)

SP 89 (2)
    GF 235 (16)

SP 86 (0)
    TB 220 (15)
    Tie (2)

SP 155 (8)
    YOLT 169 (5)
    Tie (5)

SP 67 (0)
    OHMSS 344 (23)

SP 273 (16)
    DAF 239 (10)

SP 153 (5)
    LALD 271 (18)
    Tie (1)

SP 206 (12)
    TMWTGG 214 (11)
    Tie (1)

It would be interesting to see a category break down but that would take more time
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Spectre versus The Man With The Golden Gun

TMWTGG - 8
    SP - 10

Spectre wins!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    w2bond wrote: »
    TALLY SO FAR

SP 117 (3)
    DN 171 (14)

SP 35 (0)
    FRWL 217 (14)

SP 89 (2)
    GF 235 (16)

SP 86 (0)
    TB 220 (15)
    Tie (2)

SP 155 (8)
    YOLT 169 (5)
    Tie (5)

SP 67 (0)
    OHMSS 344 (23)

SP 273 (16)
    DAF 239 (10)

SP 153 (5)
    LALD 271 (18)
    Tie (1)

It would be interesting to see a category break down but that would take more time

Good to see FRWL and OHMMS complete shut outs of Spectre. And FRWL really dominating the individual categories like no other 007 adventure. But SP snuck in some wins against DN and GF! I didn't realise that! Generally SP's showing against the Connery and early Moore eras is slightly predictable. I'm thinking it will fair well with later Moore and Brosnan especially. Thanks for the tallying!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2016 Posts: 6,791
    Cinematography: TMWTGG

16-2 trashing by Golden Gun.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

TMWTGG Wins 11-6.

I prefer SP, but based on the categories provided, TMWTGG wins.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Finally someone else who likes Goodnight.

Better make that two.

She's a 'poor agent'. But she's much more attractive and sexy than Swann.

I like a girl in a bikini, no concealed weapons.
    suavejmf wrote: »

TMWTGG Wins 11-6.

I prefer SP, but based on the categories provided, TMWTGG wins.

You've actually got 11-7 there.

9-9 a tie!
    w2bond wrote: »
    TALLY SO FAR

SP 117 (3)
    DN 171 (14)

SP 35 (0)
    FRWL 217 (14)

SP 89 (2)
    GF 235 (16)

SP 86 (0)
    TB 220 (15)
    Tie (2)

SP 155 (8)
    YOLT 169 (5)
    Tie (5)

SP 67 (0)
    OHMSS 344 (23)

SP 273 (16)
    DAF 239 (10)

SP 153 (5)
    LALD 271 (18)
    Tie (1)

Thanks for this!