Do you want a sequel to Carte Blanche? Who would you like to write it?

2»

Comments

It's bad enough that the Bond films get accused of apeing Jason Bourne - do we really need the same criticisms levelled at the continuation novels by hiring the man who writes the expanded Bourne-verse stories?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm liking the idea of Daniel Silva more and more. I'm halfway through THE CONFESSOR, and I'm deeply impressed by it: it's about a conspiracy and a cover-up that goes to the highest levels of the Vatican, but it has none of the Dan Brown rubbish about Jesus' descendants and sun-worshipping sects. It's actually a lot like Tom Clancy's RED RABBIT, but easier to read because Silva doesn't get hung up on the finer technical points of military operations.
    I have read some of his other books but darn if I can remember them now; so, yes I like his writing, too. Guess I am now wowed since their names escape me. But he might be a good one.
    Lee Child. I read every Jack Reacher in order and they are all a very entertaining books that you don't want to put down once you start them and never dull.
    dchantry wrote:
    Lee Child. I read every Jack Reacher in order and they are all a very entertaining books that you don't want to put down once you start them and never dull.

Actually, I am a real Lee Child fan, too; others are not. But yes, I like his character Reacher and I enjoyed the latest one, The Affair. Best one for me since Gone Tomorrow.
    Ugh. I thought Child was horrible.
    Yes, I remember you really did not like his writing. I think he is the kind of writer ou either enjoy a lot or not at all. But we would probably agree on some other writers.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,598
    John Pearson! If he is still capable. Forget the big name authors IFP and hire people who actually can write Bond.

Bring back Christoper Wood too!
    Given the fabulous 'Young Bond' series and the great 'Moneypenny Diaries', I can't understand why Ian Fleming publications keep making such a mess of the adult Bond continuation novels.
    DMC was good for the first sixty pages and then dissipated whilst CB was thoroughly awfull from start to finish.
    They need somebody who can really do this sort of stuff and Daniel Silva might be worth a shot but my vote would go for Charlie Higgson. He really understands the character.
    When Fleming publications look at what a great job Anthony Horowitz did for the Holmes franchise they might get some inspiration. Let's hope as everything since Gardner's first five has been complete dross!
    Regards,
    Bentley
    Well, Hunter S. Thompson isn't likely to do it. So I'd want Elmore Leonard or Charles Cumming. Both are at the top of their game. You could do worse than pick up one of their books, see if you don't like it.
    that isnt a sequel to Carte blanche
    I haven't read carte blanche but I think Chris Ryan could do a Bond story.
    Colin Dexter.

This series desperately needs to go back to one author / one timeline.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Hugh Laurie perhaps?

He did a good job with The Gun Seller.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Yes I would like to see a follow-up to Carte Blanche, ie return book-Bond to the contemporary setting, but don't let Deaver anywhere near the project. He's a terrible Bond-writer, but there is nothing wrong with a new author picking up where he left off - but a new author that returns Bond's violent edge, moving him away from the Dudley Do-Right that Deaver created, and more along the lines of Fleming's appetite indulging, blunt instrument.
    A move away from Deaver's interminable twists and turns would be good too. Bond is adult adventure-thriller, not mystery thriller.
    I am currently rereading Carte Blanche now and Daniel Silva's the heist yes Silva to write a modern bond thriller would be good
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I would like a sequel set in the same continuity as Carte Blanche. And yes, Daniel Silva is a good writer.
    Fellow Bondonians, I thought my thirst for all things 007 was unquenchable but I'd rather be dragged at speed around the M25 (for our International brethren that's a motorway around London) than have to read another abomination like Deaver's.
    Sorry but it was truly awful. Let's stick with Horowitz or at least his time line.
    To end on a positive note, Silva is a good writer and could do a Bond book. He work has a very English feel about it and I love some of his characters. Particularly Isherwood - all in all, very Flemingesque.
    Anthony Horowitz. He writes excellent period pieces (i.e. Trigger Mortis), as well as wonderful modern works.
  • MonsieurMonsieur Canada
    David Baldacci could be an interesting choice, especially if he could recapture the feel of his earlier works, like The Winner, Total Control, Hour Game, maybe Saving Faith and quite possibly Last Man Standing. His latest run of novels have been very by-the-numbers, but the early stuff is good.<br />
    <br />
    I'd also be very interested to see Matthew Reilly have a go, but he'd have to exercise some restraint "
    After reading this post, I could not think of another contemporary author who I would love to see pen a James Bond adventure. He does of a great ability to create suspense and thrills and character like his Scarecrow. The concern about violence is apt but not that important. Bond's word can be violent and as current events have shown -reaity can be worse.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    I'd like Scott mariani to have a go, I find his Ben hope books very readable.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As I said, I'd like a Bond novel in the same continuity as Carte Blanche because the conceptual update was rather good. OK, maybe the universe. But, that doesn't mean I want the rather metrosexual Bond from the book nor the author himself to return. Rather hand it over to someone who keeps Bond's template intact.