The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Is there an election in America then ? ;)

You'd be forgiven for believing that we are, but it's really just an over-the-top circus masquerading as a political process.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    A manipulation, as always.
    :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Shardlake, he has uttered racist, bigoted and sexist rhetoric. That's true. However, if you were to suggest to me that he is racist, bigoted and sexist, then I would disagree. The evidence does not bear that out. Not in the way he's run his business or in the way he treats his employees. Yes, he is an adulterer, but so was Clinton if I recall.

Those noisy statements have made the headlines because the media like to focus on them. I have been listening more to his comments on other matters, where he does talk sense in his folksy way.

What he says on the important policy issues (illegal immigration, border security, ISIL, illegal wars, waste in defense, need for infrastructure spending, need to push back on trade deals, need to push back on China currency manipulation, need to improve working conditions for ordinary Americans) makes sense. It's more appealing than anything coming out of any of the other candidates except Bernie and perhaps Kasich (who hasn't got a chance).

He is also the one man who can dismantle the GOP money power structure which has dominated American politics on the right for 30 years. He's already doing this to a degree in the primaries. That is why he deserves a chance.

As @A_Kristatos said, this election will not be about 'social issues'.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Trump wants strong defense combined with smart defense spending (he is the only one who has spoken about waste in defense spending actually - not Hillary and certainly not any other repub candidate). He wants infrastructure (he has been going on about it for some time now) and he wants secure borders (as we know).

I don't see anything wrong with any of that. Just because the borders haven't been secure to date doesn't mean they shouldn't be secure. That's just common sense.

And it's common sense that Mexico is going to pay for those 'more secure borders' (you make Trump sound like a nuanced Obama, when he really said he wants to have.....walls....WALLS).

Look, I am aware that Trump is the product of a violent neo-conservative GOP. But there's a difference between saying things as a marketing instrument for votes.....or saying things as a promise to realistically bring them into practice.

I will be happy if finally the days are over that people vote for what politicians stand for, instead of voting solely for ranting and political incorrectness. And call me a traditionalist, but political incorrectness never solved real problems. In the long end they only made things worse. There's plentiful historical evidence for that.

A vote for Trump is a vote for thinking with your balls.
    You're wrong, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Trump is not a product of a violent neo-conservative GOP. He is the product of a failed political system. A system that has failed the ordinary voter. Like Sanders. Just appealing to the other side.

His argument for 'wall's is a caricature for secure borders. At the end of the day, he can do it with a wall (which is more symbolic than anything else) or he can do it by stricter border enforcement and control to prevent 'illegal' immigration. That is something the American public want (not just Republicans). If he's president, how he goes about implementing it will be the key.

You may like to think with your balls, but please don't make general comments about the many who have decided to show support for Trump. It's insulting.

That the same old story with criticism on populists. If you criticize the populist, suddenly the people who vote for them are offended. That's where it goes wrong. I criticize Trump, not it's voting constituency. I dislike the man and his racist bigotry as a shameless marketing instrument, NOT the people who are actually suffering from all that bad politics and who had to leave their houses because they can't pay the rent anymore.

I think it's a shame that when freedom of speech comes into play, I suddenly have to tone down that same freedom of speech, because I insult voters when I really criticize the populist.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's a simple choice:

Trump or Cruz. In my book, Cruz would be dangerous and bring the worst of the Republicans (Tea-Party) to ultimate power. A harrowing thought.

Before you condemn Trump think about it. He is by far the better choice.
    A super-hot First Lady??
    I concur.
    I'd give Greg Stillson a chance. ;)
    Hopefully Mitt Romney will shock the world with his speech tomorrow morning and announce that he's getting in the race. He's not expected to do so, rather he's expected to just bash Trump (which will be entertaining on its own) and offer support to Cruz and Rubio, but I'm hoping that there's some backroom dealings going on to get him in the race.

In theory, he could "force" Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich out of the race and get the 65% not voting for Trump to rally around him and either try to stage a stunning come-from-behind victory or simply keep Trump from the required number of delegates to clinch the nomination, forcing a brokered convention.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    A super-hot First Lady??
    I concur.

Yes, and please Sarah Palin for Vice President, super-hot and I mean that

A super-hot First Lady??
    I concur.

Yes, and please Sarah Palin for Vice President, super-hot and I mean that

See her in HD and you will change that opinion, I assure you.

8-|
    Only problem is Sarah eats her partner after mating. :D
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,631
    Not to mention Palin's inability to string together a coherent sentence detracts significantly from whatever she has going on in terms of her other "qualities".
    Only problem is Sarah eats her partner after mating. :D
    2nd time's the charm.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Trump wants strong defense combined with smart defense spending (he is the only one who has spoken about waste in defense spending actually - not Hillary and certainly not any other repub candidate). He wants infrastructure (he has been going on about it for some time now) and he wants secure borders (as we know).

I don't see anything wrong with any of that. Just because the borders haven't been secure to date doesn't mean they shouldn't be secure. That's just common sense.

And it's common sense that Mexico is going to pay for those 'more secure borders' (you make Trump sound like a nuanced Obama, when he really said he wants to have.....walls....WALLS).

Look, I am aware that Trump is the product of a violent neo-conservative GOP. But there's a difference between saying things as a marketing instrument for votes.....or saying things as a promise to realistically bring them into practice.

I will be happy if finally the days are over that people vote for what politicians stand for, instead of voting solely for ranting and political incorrectness. And call me a traditionalist, but political incorrectness never solved real problems. In the long end they only made things worse. There's plentiful historical evidence for that.

A vote for Trump is a vote for thinking with your balls.
    You're wrong, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Trump is not a product of a violent neo-conservative GOP. He is the product of a failed political system. A system that has failed the ordinary voter. Like Sanders. Just appealing to the other side.

His argument for 'wall's is a caricature for secure borders. At the end of the day, he can do it with a wall (which is more symbolic than anything else) or he can do it by stricter border enforcement and control to prevent 'illegal' immigration. That is something the American public want (not just Republicans). If he's president, how he goes about implementing it will be the key.

You may like to think with your balls, but please don't make general comments about the many who have decided to show support for Trump. It's insulting.

That the same old story with criticism on populists. If you criticize the populist, suddenly the people who vote for them are offended. That's where it goes wrong. I criticize Trump, not it's voting constituency. I dislike the man and his racist bigotry as a shameless marketing instrument, NOT the people who are actually suffering from all that bad politics and who had to leave their houses because they can't pay the rent anymore.

I think it's a shame that when freedom of speech comes into play, I suddenly have to tone down that same freedom of speech, because I insult voters when I really criticize the populist.
    I agree with your main points here, Gustav.

Trump has gone from being a publicity seeking, feed-my-ever-growing-ego celebrity buffoon to a publicly bigoted, racist, ignorant and disrespectful (to put it mildly) menace.

Has he shook up the system? Yes. Is that in itself perhaps helpful? Probably. But by no means is he qualified for the presidency and I will not be voting for him. He is an embarrassment to our country and many of his over-the-top remarks cannot be excused; no.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    #FeeltheBern
    Murdock wrote: »
    #FeeltheBern
    He's my guy, and he's still in it.
    #FeeltheBern

#NeverTrump
    :)
    I grant you, the entertainment value for this political process this year is off the charts. But let's not forget the genuinely real end goal.
    #FeeltheBern

Same here.

Cruz has too much religious ideals on his mind.
    Trump is a real life Bond villain.
    Hillary, while she's on the right side, her agenda might not be in the right place.
    Bernie, the only sane one of the bunch.
    World domination ? :)
    #FeeltheBern

Same here.

Hillary, while she's on the right side, her agenda might not be in the right place.
    Nice to see young folk with a handle on reality @Murdock.
    >:D<
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @dalton, what you suggest is possible re: Romney. The problem I feel is that there will be no passion for Romney. He is a very poor candidate. I don't think he'll be able to bring out or energize the passion of the voters. Just voting against Hillary won't be enough - one has to vote for something and many voters have now bought into the cause for change rather than run of the mill big money b/s.

Ultimately, the GOP may choose to lose this election rather than have Trump as their nominee. I get the feeling this is the direction they are headed for consciously at the moment. It will be up to Trump to make the case to the power structure that he can work with them. He has to do that quickly though.

As I said before, I think this is his election to lose. It's really up to him to decide which way it goes but he will have to move quickly and very smartly to consolidate his position within the next two to three weeks.

Oh, and I realize there are many who will never buy into him as president. That goes without saying. His statements have offended too many.
    #FeeltheBern

Same here.

Thanks @chrisisall, It probably helps that I'm one of the few American's speaking in this thread. :P
    Of course I wouldn't want Palin in the White House.
    Maybe in the Whyte House in that fabulous transparent round bed :))
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 3,564
    #FeeltheBern

Same here.

Thanks @chrisisall, It probably helps that I'm one of the few American's speaking in this thread. :P

Maybe we should all have little icons to preface our remarks with: Yes I am an American. Yes I vote. Yes I am a registered Democrat/Republican/3rd Party/Decline to state... so that our context can be more readily understood. For the record (although I've already mentioned this earlier) I am indeed an American/Registered Democrat/been voting against the Republican candidate since Nixon in 1972 and proud of it. Re: the Donald -- please, please, don't throw your party into that briar patch.......oops, too late. Heh heh heh. =))
    I'm American, in case folks didn't quite get that. Although if you note that I said I was voting, then yes you did. :)
    I'm American, in case folks didn't quite get that. Although if you note that I said I was voting, then yes you did. :)
    Bernie for the future, Hillary for the status quo, all others for a vote for a return of the Spanish Inquisition (and who doesn't love a comfy chair?).
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Bernie for the future, Hillary for the status quo, all others for a vote for a return of the Spanish Inquisition (and who doesn't love a comfy chair?).

I'm here for an argument. (No you're not!)
This discussion has been closed.