10 most frightening moments in film

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am sure it holds up but I have never had the nerve to see it again! I can't imagine you watch it on a regular basis.
    Yeah, I'm a fan. Currently reading the book in fact. Huge recommend.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Quite embarrassed to say, but one of my favorite films is Ghost Train with Arthur Askey, although released in the 1940s, on first viewing It got quite scary in some parts, although I was a lot younger then etc

Don't be embarrassed. Ghost Train (despite being mostly a comedy) is quite creepy, especially Ben Isaacs singing in the tunnell.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My own personal favourites....

1. Exorcist III A quiet hospital corridor at night, a nurse doing the rounds, then a white robed figure enters from nowhere carrying a huge pair of shears. Really skilful set up and wonderfully executed. Gets me every time!

2. Jaws Hooper investigating the wreck when a head floats into view!

3. Carrie Carrie's hand grabs Sue as she lay flowers at her grave!

4. Les Diaboliques The corpse of the seemingly dead husband rises from the bathtub scaring his wife to death!

5. The Descent A video camera pans across the group of girls and we get our first sight of a 'Crawler'...!

6. The Exorcist The demon becomes Karras's dead mother to goad him

7. Ringu The young dead girl crawls through the TV screen to exact revenge!

8. Insidious The garbled voice of something unknown comes over the baby monitor!

9. Sisters Jennifer Salt dreams of herself being a Siamese Twin in a nightmarish operating theatre about to be separated!

10. Don't Look Now Donald Sutherland finally discovers the identity of the small figure in the Red Raincoat....
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,690
    One very frighetning scene when I first saw it was in 28 Weeks Later when Robert Carlyle
    brutally killed his own wife, smashing her head repeatedly and gouging her eyes in.

If frightening can also mean 'tense scene', than I would add the entire sequence in Valkyrie when Tom Cruise must blow up the bunker with Hitler in it.
    Heres an oldie. 'Wait Until Dark'. Audrey Hepburn plays a blind lady, who comes into possession of a doll that has drugs hidden in it. Three villains try to get the doll. The climax is Alan Arkin, as one of the thugs menacing Hepburn. Just when she thinks he's dead, she walks across a darkened room, out of the dark Arkin leaps across the room and grabs her ankle. Makes me jump every time!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    THIS

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZSNyiSetZ8Y"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I will complete my list later, but for now I have to mention SUSPIRIA. So bloody unsettling.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The scene in Bram Stoker's Dracula where Dracula gives his brides a baby after stopping their "seduction" of Keanu in chilling.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I don't really class many films as truly scary for me as it takes a lot to unsettle me, but one film I have yet to return to because of how much it horrified me when I was younger was Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). It's one of the few films I would genuinely describe as dark, and would only recommend it to people with truly strong stomaches as it holds nothing back in its exploration of the demented human mind.

One of the most terrifying scenes occurs in a moment with no blood at all. Henry and his protege serial killer have just come back from a rape and murder-which they videotaped-and we find them in their living room watching the footage. Both men grin sadistically with glee as one asks the other to rewind the tape so they can watch it all again, to which he obliges.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Halloween': Jamie Lee Curtis standing at the top of the stairs as Michael slowly illuminates and sort of spawns from the darkness directly behind her. Gives me chills every time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, my favorite horror film. Carpenter put himself in a different league from everyone else right up there with Wes Craven from the very start.

His camera work makes the movie a classic. He keeps Michael hidden from us until the very end so that he's built up as a silent killer of myth. I love those quick, two second moments where you see a character walking around innocently in their darkened out house or out on the street at night and you see Michael's white mask appear from the shadows in a blink and you miss it moment before he becomes hidden again. Carpenter shot monsters perfectly, and knew the suspense was lost for audiences the moment you showed them too much too early.

Add to that the perfect animalistic breathing Michael has, that simple but so effective score by Carpenter himself and Jamie Lee in a role that made her Scream Queen like her mother before her, and you have an unforgettable film. I'd put it up there as one of the all time greatest independent films ever made, with the likes of Mad Max, which were both birthed in that same late 70s period were edgy and risky filmmaking was welcomed.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    My most frightening film moments were as a boy watching the old Frankenstein & Werewolf films starring Boris Karloff & Lon Chaney. Also the Hammer house of horror movies used to be quite effective at scaring me but to me they were never as effective as the old black & white films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

4. Les Diaboliques The corpse of the seemingly dead husband rises from the bathtub scaring his wife to death!

10. Don't Look Now Donald Sutherland finally discovers the identity of the small figure in the Red Raincoat....

About time someone mentioned these.

About time someone mentioned these.

Thanks, @TheWizardOfIce

Saw Les Diaboliques at the age of 13 on a small portable TV. That scene froze me to the spot with terror!

It was a similar scenario with Don't Look Now...
    I don't really class many films as truly scary for me as it takes a lot to unsettle me, but one film I have yet to return to because of how much it horrified me when I was younger was Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). It's one of the few films I would genuinely describe as dark, and would only recommend it to people with truly strong stomaches as it holds nothing back in its exploration of the demented human mind.

One of the most terrifying scenes occurs in a moment with no blood at all. Henry and his protege serial killer have just come back from a rape and murder-which they videotaped-and we find them in their living room watching the footage. Both men grin sadistically with glee as one asks the other to rewind the tape so they can watch it all again, to which he obliges.

That's certainly a very hard watch, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Chilling performance from Michael Rooker. I'm surprised anyone wanted to work with him after that film!

The videotape scene is very disturbing.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,600
    Just a couple from me:
    Manhunter - the scene where the jouno is tied in the chair

And Alien also had a big effect on me, we take the burster secen for granted now but if you did not know it was going to happen...just wow, and the end when she slowly gets into the space suit , I had nightmares for days

Interesting that The Exorcist does nothing for me. Perhaps becuase I have a limited imagination and dont buy into any of that hocus pocus stuff. The great thing about science fiction is that it could all be out there.

Lastly, there is a thin line between horror and drama. I find some of the scenes in Mississippi Burning horrific but, its not a horror film (or is it?) Perhaps portrayals of events where humans treat each other horribly should always be seen as the most horrific?
    @patb, I'm with you. I very rarely get scared by so-called "horror" films, largely because I laugh at the way others get affected. The cheap gore, the paper thin and predictable plots of so many of them, wear on me over time and very little still hold their weight.

But I can be straight up terrified in a thriller or drama. Which has made me see over time that it doesn't come down to genre for me. Films that scare me are those that present unflinching visions of things I'd like to pretend aren't out there.

I mentioned Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer earlier, and that film is so scary because it feels so real. It's easy to see why some choose to call convicts/killers "monsters." It's easier to face something when you feel no connection to it, and feel separated from it like it's a different species. Films get me when they show that humanity is capable of dark, dastardly things, and instead of portraying those figures of destruction as monsters, they present quite lucidly a regular human being like you and me.

It's why noirs have always been my favorite films. They're frightening because they depict the world as it truly is, teetering on a knife edge.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2016 Posts: 6,782
    In no particular order:

SUSPIRIA - the infamous hanging scene or the moment when Jessica Harper gets attacked by her own dead friend, all in glaring primary colours. Vintage Argento, best horror film ever.

DAY OF THE DEAD - I always found the nightmare scene with the white wall pretty frightening.

THE EXORCIST - the one scene that really stood out for me is where Regan turns her head 180 degrees.

INFERNO - another Argento, a simple scene here that is scary because of its simplicity. The beautiful Ania Pieroni, as Mater Lachrymarum, looks at the main character while he's attending a music class.

LES DIABOLIQUES - the presumably dead husband that rises from the bathtub.

MANHUNTER - when the protagonist realises he has to get his family into safety.

CARRIE - that final scene.

THE OMEN - "It's all for you Damian." Goosebumps even when I'm writing this.
    I'm also a fan of the more subtle, frightening moments, like:

- The blink-and-you'll-miss-it kitchen scene from 'Insidious'.
    - The stranger quietly lurking in the midst of the living room behind Liv Tyler in 'The Strangers'.
    - Pretty much any moment focusing on the villain in the original 'Nosferatu'.
    - The first look at Pennywise in 'IT'.
    - The flash of lightning that reveals Jason standing in a dark corner of the room amongst his inevitable victim in one of the later 'Friday the 13th' installments.
    - The Xenomorph blending in with the pipes and cables above Brett in 'Alien'.
    - A lot of the hidden symbolism and "hints" at the ending of 'Don't Look Now'.
    - Just about the entirety of 'The Shining' gives me chills.
    - Every scene in 'Rosemary's Baby,' because it seems like every shot and bit of dialogue is building up to that grand reveal.
    - The casual shots of the shark in the water in 'Jaws'.
    - The night vision finale of 'The Silence of the Lambs'.
    - A nighttime visit in 'The Babadook'.
    - The hide-and-seek scene in 'The Innocents'.
    - The haunting, lost feeling that 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' gives me.
    - The Brendan Gleeson eyeball scene in '28 Days Later'.
    - 'Freaks'. Nothing more needs to be said there.
    - The first night spent in 'The Uninvited (1944)'.

Speaking of 'Alien,' one of the scariest jump scares in horror history for me is the scene inside the vents with Dallas - I won't spoil it if you have yet to check it out, but you know what I'm talking about, if you have.
    I remember a film from the 60's called The Naked Prey

Some white folk on a safari upset some local natives who kill each of them in a variety of ways. This one guy gets covered in clay, put on a spit and cooked alive!

Quite freaked me out as a 7 year old! Saw it recently and it's still disturbing!
    I've had my eye on that for a while, @LeonardPine. Yet another one I'll have to get around to watching in the near future.
    Forgot the final scene in The Vanishing (the original obviously) when Rex discovers what happened to his girlfriend.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've had my eye on that for a while, @LeonardPine. Yet another one I'll have to get around to watching in the near future.

Well worth a look @Creasy47. The star and director Cornell Wilde was very ill during filming and it shows!

If you've seen Apocalypto you'll be surprised how similar they are.

Forgot the final scene in The Vanishing (the original obviously) when Rex discovers what happened to his girlfriend.

Amazing film @TheWizardOfIce

Talk about the banality of evil! The ending really is a punch to the gut.

Didn't even bother with the remake.

Amazing film @TheWizardOfIce

Talk about the banality of evil! The ending really is a punch to the gut.

Didn't even bother with the remake.

Not that I've ever seen it obviously but in the remake he digs his way out and kills the guy! =))

Oh those funny Americans and their insistence on shit Hollywood endings!

And what about the actor who plays the killer? One of the creepiest guys in the history of cinema. Would have been nice to see him as a Bond villain in the vein of Mads or Almaric but sadly he died in 2010. Come to think of it he could have made a far more interesting Blofeld than Waltz.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    THE BIG HEAT

Just watched this, I'm still in shock how good it is.

One of the most surprising and shocking moments I have seen in a Film Noir is Lee Marvin's evil character throwing boiling hot coffee into his girlfriends face.

Thanks to great direction this scene is memorable and unforgettable in an eery way.

Boy will I never again go near a boiling coffeepot again...
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    - The flash of lightning that reveals Jason standing in a dark corner of the room amongst his inevitable victim in one of the later 'Friday the 13th' installments.
    I know just the part you mean! It's Part VII- The New Blood!
    Jason looked his best in that one I believe, and if not for the ridiculous unnecessary cuts, which honestly makes the movie as bloodless and tame as PG, it could have been the best one!

@BondJasonBond007, have you seen Lee Marvin in Point Blank? That movie shows him going off the rails and into a dark place, which is so mesmerizing to watch. There's one fight scene in particular where he looks quite bestial, and throughout he plays a very troubled and capable destroyer.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know just the part you mean! It's Part VII- The New Blood!
    Jason looked his best in that one I believe, and if not for the ridiculous unnecessary cuts, which honestly makes the movie as bloodless and tame as PG, it could have been the best one!

I like The New Blood as it is, but if the following footage was re-inserted, it would be more brutal than the uncut version of Jason Goes To Hell:

Wow, no wonder that's the film that always seems to stand out as rather "tame," it's such a shame they cut all the extra gore and shots (particularly crushing that victim's head down to the size of a walnut. So brutal).