The General Cinematography Thread

2»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Some directors always bring A class cinematographeres with them. Francis Ford Coppola, for instance.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @dogrowup007, if you enjoyed 'Youth,' I take it you've seen Sorrentino's 'A Great Beauty.' If not, you need to check it out, it's just as, if not more, beautiful.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Some movies would fall apart completely without their brilliant cinematography.
    The Revenant for instance.

TWINE/SF are also good examples.
    The first is visually dull and boring, the second is a masterpiece in cinematography.
    I think 'The Revenant' was strong enough on its own, and while the cinematography was brilliant as expected from someone like Lubezki, it wasn't the "glue" that held the entire thing together.
    Maybe, I'd say Hardy was the glue.

I'd say the brilliant, believable acting, the locations, the story, the cinematography, score, and just about everything else was the glue that made it what it was. Hardy was solid in it, but again, definitely didn't make or break the movie.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'd say the brilliant, believable acting, the locations, the story, the cinematography, score, and just about everything else was the glue that made it what it was. Hardy was solid in it, but again, definitely didn't make or break the movie.

Let me guess, you love that movie :))
    I found it boring, even worse than the Birdman :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Revenant was the total package for me as well. I can't wait to see it again on blu.
    I thought 'The Revenant' was great. It's a pretty emotional, lengthy ride of a film, though, so it's not something I'd be putting into my blu-ray player every other day, but yes, I thought it was wonderful, coming together because every part of the cast and crew was firing on all cylinders.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @dogrowup007, if you enjoyed 'Youth,' I take it you've seen Sorrentino's 'A Great Beauty.' If not, you need to check it out, it's just as, if not more, beautiful.

@Creasy47 Indeed, the title "A Great Beauty" is very appropriate for that movie. I listed it in my top 30 in another discussion (Great Decade for Film). I thought of it when I gave my input, but also wanted to forward "Youth" as a great movie.

I must say, I felt more connected to the characters in Youth than to the characters in A Great Beauty. Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel are wonderful, and I was quite shocked near the end of the movie, when that drastic action occurs - which I won't describe here, in case I spoil it for people who have yet to discover this wonderful movie. It's surprising at that moment, how little an actor needs to do to convey emotion.

People who haven't seen Youth or A Great Beauty, try to see them on a big screen for the full experience. Just like Lawrence of Arabia doesn't work properly on a small screen.
    Welcome to the forums! And thank you for the insightful recommendations.

Thanks @PropertyOfALady , I'm very happy to have discovered this gang of Bond and movie buffs. It's turning into quite an addiction. Nice username, by the way.

@dogrowup007, I loved 'A Great Beauty' so much that I didn't think 'Youth' could match or exceed the beauty of it, but I was wrong. While they're both gorgeous looking movies, I find the former to be a bit more beautiful (it's hard to beat the Italian landscape and architecture), but like you said, I connected with the characters a lot more in the latter.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Hitman: Agent 47, cinematography by Óttar Guðnason

HA47_2073.jpg

HA47_2036.jpg

HA47_2018.jpg

HA47_2040.jpg
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Unsane.