How has Bond influenced you?

edited September 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,517
After reading the discussion about Bond slapping women, I wondered how many of us have actually been influenced by a Bond film in some way.

Whenever I order red wine with fish, I always think back to FRWL.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    When I'm in the man's room in a public place, I think back to CR:

* out in the open, it's CR'67
    * indoors, it's CR06

You order red wine with fish ??

Well that should have told me something........
  • Funny, I had thought about posting a similar thread.

Basically the Bond films opened up my life for me, and in a few different ways. First, a bit of background - I grew up in a very conservative place which was also very blue collar. We were comfortable but didn't have the money to take vacations or have really nice things. It was the kind of place were we would dream of being a truck driver or an electrician when we grew up. It was also a very "white" place where food, drinks, movies, and culture had no foreign influence at all. People's dads would talk about how films like Smokey and the Bandit were the greatest films ever made, no one had ever seen a Bruce Lee film because who would watch a film with a Chinese guy in it, and because The Godfather featured Italian families it was "weird".

In fact, the worst insult that could be levelled at anyone or anything was that it was "weird", and what was "normal" was very limited. I remember when I was around ten a classmate's father came in to talk about how he was an artist and taught us how to draw a simple drawing using a charcoal pencil, and how you could smudge the lines for an interesting effect. People's parents complained about it!

Another thing that made people's parents angry (so we learned to copy those attitudes) was anyone who had money, liked nice things, or dressed well. They would be sneered at with a "They think they're so *special*!" mixture of mocking and anger. I guess it would be like when people these days decry someone for being an "elite".

So I had a very limited worldview and was very happy with it as I was taught to like and dislike (strongly!) certain things. Then, when I was 11 or 12, a local station showed a double feature of GF and DAF one Sunday afternoon. My best way of describing the experience is saying that it was a revelation - it was wish fulfilment but for wishes that I didn't even realize that I had. No other film had ever made me as excited or happy to watch it, and I saw Star Wars when I was 8! I was terrified that my father would come in and make me shut the film off, but he was out so I could watch the films in their entirety. Imagine my surprise when my mother told him I watched those films and I found out he really liked Bond films!

It was a huge relief to me, but also confusing. It should have been everything that my dad and the people I knew hated - here was an "elite" who liked good food and drinks! Here was a guy who wore a suit all the time! Here was (in GF, anyway) a strong woman who stood up to a man and was competent in her own right! Here was a hero (in the beginning of GF) making out with a girl who wasn't white (if you can believe it, a Latina or Italian woman wouldn't be considered white in my neighborhood)! Here was a film that showed that travelling outside of your town was something cool and glamourous!

Something that really interests me as an adult is to see how much guys who don't want to be anything like Bond, or have a lifestyle like his, enjoy those films. But what those two films I saw when I was 11, and then all the Bond films I saw after that, taught me was that there was a whole world out there beyond what I was conditioned to like. I really wonder that if Bond films never existed if I would have grown to like good food and drinks, be attracted to strong women, enjoy travel, like dressing well, etc. They also made me want to try things that only "elites" did, like skiing, scuba diving, playing golf, riding a jetski, etc.

I also wonder what would have happened if I saw a different Bond film at the beginning. I think one of the things that was so appealing to myself and the people who I grew up with was how utterly in control Connery was. Our parents were always angry about something, complaining about how other people (banks, politicians, their bosses) had power over them - this probably led to their feelings about "elites". Because Connery was such a force of nature I can see how people would live vicariously through his character - imagine being in control of your life! Imagine making things happen instead of other people dictating what happens to you! Imagine walking into a room and automatically having women attracted to you and other men respect you!

This sounds a bit melodramatic, but I would say that the Bond films have probably influenced me more than any other thing in pop culture to be the man I am today. And a good thing, too - all the things that my father or friends would decry as being (forgive the language; it's the word they used) "faggy" have actually made me more successful with women then they could ever hope to be. Dressing well, being well read, thinking in complex rather than simple terms, enjoying good food, treating women with respect instead of thinking they're put on this planet to serve men, enjoying travelling to exotic places, learning new skills all the time, getting into good shape and taking pride in my appearance, enjoying a variety of drink instead of just beer (and knowing how to pair them with food to accentuate certain flavours), etc...

Yep, I could never begin to express how grateful I am for being home that one fall afternoon...
  • i think that as a bond fan i love his movies the locals for the most part, the women the advententures. however im not much of a smoker drinker or a person with issues and to me in seeing the bond movies he defenitly has issues of something where he has to get his love from people at mi6 or the women hes with or the killings or even saving the world from curropt individuals
  • I'm really surprised at the lack of response to this thread - given how people take time to log in and discuss all things Bond almost every day you'd think that Bond (the films, novels, and the character) would have had a HUGE influence on all of us here...
    I admire the Bond films as a fan and as entertainment, but leave at that. When I initially first got into Bond I was attracted to the idea of someone who has all these crazy adventures and bags all these women, as sort of this young 18 year old's fantasy. These days, I personally don't identify with the James Bond archetype per se. But instead I've come to appreciate that through 22 films there is such a rich catalogue. I think the spirit of travelling and going to places like the Swiss Alps is still a part of the inspiration that I take from Bond though.

I suppose you could also say Bond has influenced me to religiously check this forum :p
  • So no one took up scuba diving or skiing because of Bond? Really - I'm the only one? Or drinking martinis?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Well, being that I'm still much of a young adult moving on to bigger things, I have no idea how much Bond has/will affect me in the future. I'll tell you this much: I'm glad I listened to a good friend. I was sitting in class one day and a bunch of my friends and I were talking about all kinds of films. Stand alones, franchises, box office hits and misses. Then the Bond films came up. My friend was outraged to find that I hadn't yet seen one of them(especially the Connery films). He said I NEEDED to see one. I absorbed that and heeded his advice. Sure enough I was flicking through the channels not very long after and BANG. GF was showing on TCM(America's Turner Classic Movies for all the Europeans out there). I sucked in my stomach and took the plunge. And that's how it all began. I sat, watched, and actually enjoyed to my surprise. So it began. Through a summer of Bond features popping up all over my TV channels I saw all the Connery films while seeing CR for the first time. I fell in love and CR climbed to the top of my list with Connery's films filling up the rest. From then on if I saw Bond on, I watched. I'm sure I had seen the Brosnan films as a boy but never recollected what went on. At that age it was just explosions and guns to me. Since the time I first watched GF Bond has somewhat altered me. I got closer to the films of Sean, and got more interested in the mysterious world of espionage, of which I have a good bit of knowledge on and love to learn new things I hadn't known. I further got hooked on the books and got reading. I recently got the Fleming novels so I'll be getting into those soon as well. Seeing the exoticness of the films made me want to travel, which I hope to do much of in adulthood. I had already loved the great attractions like Berlin, Paris, Italy, Istanbul, etc; but Bond let me see those countries as they were, most notably Connery's films. Real footage. No CGI or crap cinematography. Real camera work when no big budgets were need on films to make them good. So, in closing some things Bond has changed in me may not be big to you, but what has happened is big to me. I've become better because of good old 007. I love James Bond and I am so glad to not only say that, but I'm even more thankful I listened to my good friend and didn't turn that channel. :)
  • I got interested in Architecture after purposely visiting the Elrod House (Willard Whyte's summer home from DAF) because of Bond.
  • I always remember thinking at a very young age that James Bond was a real person, you'd be too young maybe to go and see the films releases but parents would tell you that it was all true and he did these things and lived in London, and they'd try and get you an autograph or something or they'd ask Roger Moore to say hello, seems a bit embarrassing now but at the time when you're a kid you imagine and believe anything that goes (sometimes)

Now, decades later it doesn't really have that kind of effect so to speak, we still go to the theater to see each new release and we have our hopes and expectations, (and sometimes disappointments) but now it never really goes further than that.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 40,471
    Bond affects a few things to me: how I dress, how I walk, and how I act. A few years back, kind of got into dressing up, and then just tried more and more and loved it. I got 'Best Dressed' in high school a few years back, and as winter approaches, I hope to buy more Bond-like outfits. I walk like Craig - might seem pathetic, but his walk is unique, even the way he passes by people in his way, and I try as hard as I can to move like that. In terms of 'acting', I've always wanted to be an actor. I don't know how many scenes from the Bond films I have recited to myself. Always feels good to get them down pat.

And back to Connery, and with what @SharkBait said, I, too, smoke like a mule.
  • To ski, after seeing TSWLM & OHMSS as a kid I always wanted to be able to ski. Eventually I learned and can do a bit now. My boy ain't bad either www.jordanfellows.co.uk
    I smoke and drink like a mule. All thanks to Bond.

I didn't start skiing because of Bond. But in winter, when I do ski down the slopes , I do hum the James Bond theme :p

And I'm kidding about the mule thing...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    after I saw the ski stunt in TSWLM i was obsessed with parachutes. Now i'm an adult I have been skydiving and base jumping a couple of times.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 546
    James Bond is well known for dressing very well. After I saw my first Bond film Goldeneye, I updated my look. I look at all the Bond films for inspiration for my attire. As well as confidence. I always walk into a room with confidence like 007. I have not had the chance yet, but after seeing OHMSS & The Spy Who Loved Me, I always wanted to ski. I also order a Vodka Martini...shaken, not stirred
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2013 Posts: 12,459
    (Keep in mind, I'm a gal ...)

1) When I am driving in a tense situation, or packed roadway, especially if I need to pass cars and hurry along, I get in a Bond mode. It helps. ;)

2) And, when younger and well dressed for the occasion, I wore a special dress at a formal or semi-formal event, I very much enjoyed turning a few gentlemen's heads. And I would sometimes feel - even if just for a moment - that I was in a movie (preferably a Bond film). I rarely did the dressing up bit, but I do remember that. Always wanted to be a Bond girl (albeit, one that lived).

And I have always wanted to ski! And yeah, the opening ski stunt in TSWLM was inspiring! But alas, I have not ever skied (is that spelled right?) and now I cannot due to two knee surgeries. But the apres drinks - or snuggling up in a warm cabin while it's snowing outside (brushing up on my Danish; only I'm the Danish - ha!) ... I could handle that just fine, thank you very much. On my wish list still.

Thinking of Natalya in GE ("thank you very much"), I do use some Bond expressions in my life, including (if appropriate) "boys with toys."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Because of Bond I have gone down the more casually formal route in my dress/style, with dress pants, polos and dress shoes being a common thing I wear. When I dress up (especially in my tux at prom) I feel Bondish, and find myself doing the one-hand-in-pocket Daniel Craig trademark. Sadly I didn't have any cool briefcase fight or beat a man funding terrorism in a high stakes poker game yet, but give it time; I am still young. I like to walk with confidence as well, and always get told that I walk too fast, to which I say everyone else just walks too slow. In addition, Dan's fitness has been a great inspiration for me to always work out whenever I can (I'll be doing a lot of that this summer), and it is a great stress reliever when I am fuming. I say some Bond quotes to myself a lot (often under my breath or when I am alone to vent). A line I say often is "Discipline, 007, discipline", from GF. That one hints at my amazing people skills! (sarcasm alert)

But, the good thing is that Bond has had nothing but a positive influence on my life, and for that I feel very lucky.
    I wear a Seamaster or a Submariner and have a few pairs of Persol sunglasses.

Apart from that I'm being told I watch the movies too often and spend too much money on Bond-related items.. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Bond influenced me to realize that life is all too short.
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    I think it's made me more confident and assertive and stuff and want to achieve a bit more to have anything close to the lifestyle portrayed in films like CR and QoS (travel, nice hotels, first class trains, etc!).

Sometimes I do think that's a big part of the Bond fixation for me. A fascination with the kind of "high life" lol

I know it's just a movie and every life has its pros and cons, but of course for most of us that kind of life really is a dream and so it's nice to have it!

Now, I'd be wrong if I said that was the ONLY reason I enjoy Bond - I love the action, characters, plot, politics and many other things, but it's certainly one of them.

Other than that... I don't know really. More British? lol ^_^
  • I'm not influenced at all by James Bond on a day to day basis. It's a great character to recognize, but not something I try to copy or mimic in daily business. Probably a few mild expletives here and there and that's about it. No Vodka Martini's or anything
  • I'm mostly influenced by Bond in terms of watches. Although I don't own a real Bond watch (too costly) I especially bought watches similar to Bond's Rolex and Omega. At the moment I'm into vintage Seiko watches of the Moore era.

I'm also influenced a bit by Bond's style when buying new clothes or shoes. After QoS I bought my first pair of Dessert Boots.

I also remember that during my military service sometimes I really felt like Bond during the exercises. Driving in military cars, be in uniform, being on "a mission". I really liked my dress uniform (in reminiscence of the few moments we see Bond in his), so there were not many occasions to put it on. I think Bond also influenced me to do my military service in the first place (in Germany it would have been easy to reject it).
    Bond has definitely had an impact on my life, and I'm pretty sure will continue to do so. Apart from giving me so much pleasure, Bond films definitely ignited my thirst for travel, and my love of good food and wine/champagne. But throughout childhood and in my 20s, I generally just loved the movies, and I wouldn't say they had an immense impact on my life.

However, the greatest influence in my life has been recently. I've been through a tough time the last couple of years and although I'm nearly over it, my self confidence took a battering. Just recently I was feeling a little low, and just watching a Bond movie helped me feel better, like having an injection of confidence into my body! It wasn't the movie itself that helped me feel better, it was Bond - the way he acts, talks, walks, he oozes self confidence. Don't get me wrong, I'm generally a very positive proacive person who doesn't believe in "needing to have" things in order "to feel" a certain way. All I'm saying in this instance is Bond helped make achieving the state of mind I wanted easier to attain, NOT that is was essential!

However even those films that show Bond struggling have had a positive impact. Take Skyfall-for me, an incredibly inspirational film, especially with where I am in my life and what has happened recently. At the beginning he is the Bond we have always known - cool, competent and supremely confident. Beforelong he has lost it, weighed down with inner demons, finding solace in alcohol and full of self doubt. Yes, even Bond is human, and goes through what we all have to in life. Then he rediscovers his confidence and gets back to his best. He doesn't let life beat him. Extremely motivating for me. Bond, more than ever, is truly helping me get back to my best!

I try constantly to be myself more confident and even if I don't imitate Bond he could be great role model in that sense. So I keep in mind Bond in order to avoid being insecure withe people at work and specially with woman. Although I don't have 100% postive results it's a good thing to keep working on.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    edited April 2013 Posts: 199
    to try and be a spy and work for MI6 WHEN I'M OLDER AND made gadgets and all that i made an exploding pen it was cool
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wasn't expecting an exploding pen. We don't really go in for that sort of thing anymore.
    Good luck out there in the field though. ;)
  • JRRJRR
    Ian Fleming’s James Bond is a well known for being a product of his Second World War exploits, and with Britain facing, at that time a future of austerity, his character became the escape for many wishing to break through such a hard time.

Ian Fleming didn't just create a character who has inspired generations, he has left a legacy that has covered the past, present and inevitably the future, which has employed thousands of people and provided so much enjoyment; this is why it is important for his work to stay a much anticipated part of the cinema experience.

James Bond is Ian Fleming’s alter ego, he is, the true representation of who and how he wished to portray himself as a man inside and outside the bounds of conformity and reality.

By writing the story’s he fulfilled his own potential of the way life could be lived without the restrictions of the time, and endeavored to make every effort to have a reasonable piece of that reality; this he has successfully conveyed back to his audience with the hope of appreciation and plenty of encouragement to others of a more adventurous nature.

All human beings absorb the influences around them and choose the ones they feel comfortable with; James Bond is an idea of a man attaining the best from his life and everyday opportunities. In many ways he is a good influence, in other ways it needs to be reasoned that he is a fictional persona who could break the rules of life, which we cannot, without experiencing many unpleasant consequences.

James Bond influences people, but as with Ian Fleming, they need to use their own imagination to become and develop their own unique personality, for that is the attraction for others to be interested in them, their atmosphere and the creativity they bring when you are in their company.

For an individual to be free from the bonds that others resent in their lives, they need to seek employment or a situation, which suits their personality, and try to work away from the jobs and circumstances that restrain their particular skills or gifts.

Ian Fleming, really achieved this in becoming the creator of James Bond, he was able to pursue all of the areas of life that held interest for him; this is the experience that inspires and promotes individualism amongst the audience of everything Bond and anyone who has become slightly addicted.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    Benny wrote:
    Wasn't expecting an exploding pen. We don't really go in for that sort of thing anymore.
    Good luck out there in the field though. ;)

Well I know that but I got bored and I couldnt be bothered going out and playing Football.I'd love to be like Q.
  • JRRJRR
    edited April 2013 Posts: 74
    nezanrf wrote:
    I'm mostly influenced by Bond in terms of watches. Although I don't own a real Bond watch (too costly) I especially bought watches similar to Bond's Rolex and Omega. At the moment I'm into vintage Seiko watches of the Moore era.

I'm also influenced a bit by Bond's style when buying new clothes or shoes. After QoS I bought my first pair of Dessert Boots.

I also remember that during my military service sometimes I really felt like Bond during the exercises. Driving in military cars, be in uniform, being on "a mission". I really liked my dress uniform (in reminiscence of the few moments we see Bond in his), so there were not many occasions to put it on. I think Bond also influenced me to do my military service in the first place (in Germany it would have been easy to reject it).

If you are into watches of a certain style but without the excessive price tag, try Tissot, they are Swiss Made and offer a large range of products with many chronographs. The brand holds certain exclusivity as they have a history that dates back to 1853; may be of interest.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 183
    Thanks to Skyfall I now get an uncontrollable urge to chase after tube / metro trains as they leave the station!