Mesmerizing, Poignant, Oscar-worthy Acting Moments from the 007 Films (not action-heavy)

13»

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    John Barry never getting an Oscar nomination for his soundtracks is downright criminal, no matter how you look at it. I would be very pleased if a Bond film one day gets 8 or more Oscar nominations, but it should not be nominated for best Soundtrack.

Agreed.

As for acting moments:

1. DC in CR. Four key moments in Montenegro: meeting Vesper on the train; the dinner jackets scene; the mirror scene after the stairwell fight; and the shower scene.

2. DC in SF: the art museum scene with Q. This might be the best acted non-violent scene in any Bond film. Forget the actual words spoken; the emphasis is on tone, with both irritated by the other and having to conceal it due to the formal setting, leading to the scene's humor. Just great stuff. I can watch this scene over and over.

3. SC in TB: The scene when he informs Fiona that what he did was for "king and country" and that he took no joy in it. But his face tells us something else. It had been rough sex (she needed to be "locked in a cage") and he absolutely enjoyed it--and so did she. And in this scene, we see one of the few times where Bond wishes the circumstances were truly different. And it's all based on Connery's delivery of that line. I think this is the most depth Connery brought to Bond.

I would add DC in the word association scene in SF. When the guy says 'bird' he gives a subtle little twinkle with his eyes that the first word that came to him is 'shag' but then changes it to 'sky' just to be polite.
    I agree. The word association scene is first class understated acting by Craig and the psych, as was the museum scene with Whishaw. In fact, that clip of it which they showed in the teaser trailer was one of the things which suggested to me right away that SF was going to be a classic.

It's quite fashionable to bash SF (I'm guilty of it myself) but there is a lot of bloody good stuff in there.
    Same goes for SP. Yes the last act drops the ball but let's not forget there's a lot of quality stuff before that.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    John Barry never getting an Oscar nomination for his soundtracks is downright criminal, no matter how you look at it. I would be very pleased if a Bond film one day gets 8 or more Oscar nominations, but it should not be nominated for best Soundtrack.

Agreed.

As for acting moments:

1. DC in CR. Four key moments in Montenegro: meeting Vesper on the train; the dinner jackets scene; the mirror scene after the stairwell fight; and the shower scene.

2. DC in SF: the art museum scene with Q. This might be the best acted non-violent scene in any Bond film. Forget the actual words spoken; the emphasis is on tone, with both irritated by the other and having to conceal it due to the formal setting, leading to the scene's humor. Just great stuff. I can watch this scene over and over.

3. SC in TB: The scene when he informs Fiona that what he did was for "king and country" and that he took no joy in it. But his face tells us something else. It had been rough sex (she needed to be "locked in a cage") and he absolutely enjoyed it--and so did she. And in this scene, we see one of the few times where Bond wishes the circumstances were truly different. And it's all based on Connery's delivery of that line. I think this is the most depth Connery brought to Bond.

I would add DC in the word association scene in SF. When the guy says 'bird' he gives a subtle little twinkle with his eyes that the first word that came to him is 'shag' but then changes it to 'sky' just to be polite.
    I agree. The word association scene is first class understated acting by Craig and the psych, as was the museum scene with Whishaw. In fact, that clip of it which they showed in the teaser trailer was one of the things which suggested to me right away that SF was going to be a classic.

It's quite fashionable to bash SF (I'm guilty of it myself) but there is a lot of bloody good stuff in there.
    Same goes for SP. Yes the last act drops the ball but let's not forget there's a lot of quality stuff before that.
    I'm hoping to have a better view of SP once the blu ray drops. It hasn't had the impact of SF (which was immediate) for me by any means, but hopefully watching it again in the comfort of a small screen will help. One of the mistakes I may have made before was doing a very enjoyable and memorable Bondathon just prior to the film's release. So unfortunately, all the obvious derivative elements stuck out like sore thumbs for me (since the original experiences were so fresh). This time, I've decided to just watch Craig's films prior to SP, and hopefully I have a less tarnished view as a result.
    Anything change with regard to....acting performances?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Roger Moore interrogating General Orlov in OP. Just by looking at Sir Rog's eyes you can see the disgust and anger burning inside him. One of my favorite moments in the franchise.

Me too. One of Moore's best scenes as Bond!

The scene between Bond and Red Grant in FRWL Where Grant has Bond at his mercy.

Fantastic scene from two great actors.
    Has no one mentioned Laz yet?

The two scenes in the ski escape (one where he chokes the goon in the forest to keep him silent and the other where he is sitting on the ice rink) where Bond looks utterly vulnerable and genuinely scared for his life are absolutely perfect. This is a real human being not Sean's super cool playboy with the swagger from GF, TB and YOLT.

Laz delivers in spades in these scenes.

Completely agree. Lazenby looks really vulnerable in those scenes and it works for the tension in the scene. Bond really feels in danger.

OHMSS wouldn't have worked as well with Connery I always say.