What is your favourite/least favourite Pre-Title-Sequence?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I meant it in a complimentary way.
    As in we play hard?
    :D
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Love how you edited your previous post so it does come off as insulting.
    Very classy.
    You don't have a point, that's the problem!

No, you disagree with my points and insults are your only retort. Love how you edited your post above so you don't come off as rude.

At the very least, it's inconsistent that he lands on his shoulder and isn't hurt, and we'll leave it at that.

Well, I'm afraid I'm beyond remaining polite when your comments are beyond absurd. Gee, if you're insulted by a half serious comment on an Internet forum, good luck in life, my friend.

Again, your haven't made any point. You have been proven wrong, take it on the chin, and bow out gracefully.
    Looks like Bond did enough damage landing on the Dome roof and cabling to persuade me that later scenes could justifiably feature an injury on either (or even both) shoulder(s).

The usual rule is that whatever it looks like, Bond is only shown to get hurt if it's a plot point. So if he's not smarting from landing badly on his right shoulder, that's just Bond.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Ali wrote: »
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Nobody else likes the QoS pre-title? I happen to love the quick cuts at the beginning b/w the lake and the car; a sort of contast b/w natural beauty and man made beauty. And then BAM, one of the best car chases in a movie in forever (even though ALOT don't like it for whatever reason) and then it ends with a smooth "Its time to get out" accompanied by the perfect smirk. Too bad that trash of a song followed, (not to mention a relatively forgettable Bond movie).

I love it, but I'm a petrolhead. Whoever edited the sound, to go from the menacing string and then, suddenly, stop them and only have the glorious Aston V12 ripping through the gears was a genius. For that, alone, it's my favourite.

I agree completely with this. QoS's pretitle is a work of art on many levels. Sometimes I think that movie is ahead of its time or on a different plane. There is some genius to some of the sequences, but like all work of genius it's difficult to fully fathom immediately.....it grows on you......a real slow burner. The same applies to the Opera sequence.

The first time I saw the pretitles in the theatre I was nearly cursing at the editing choices. Now when I see it I understand what Forster was trying to achieve. It's visceral. Almost like you're in a fight. It's immediate. It's exhausting.

The opening shot of the Italian lake to the mountain to the Aston's bonnet to the wheels spinning to the revs of the Aston's V12 are a masterclass in audio/visual work. It starts off like a beautiful quiet dream and.......then you're awoken by a brutal, violent, vicious nightmare. Craig does a magnificent job of acting Bondian while his car is ripped to shreds and spun around, and the shooting angle from inside his car adds to the drama.

These guys really don't get the credit they deserve for being inventive with that sequence. It is genius. Maybe they should have inserted a few more wide long range shots from time to time for a second or two to take us away from the sheer brutality of the events on the ground....that may have helped to improve perceptions.

It's such a shame that this work of art segues into that unmelodious, mangled title track. It deserved so much more. Perhaps they were trying with the title track to create the same discomfort as the opening scene had. If that was their objective, they succeeded. I become very uncomfortable every time I hear it. Thank goodness for 'fast forward'

Again, your haven't made any point. [/quote]

Actually I have. Since Bond did not bounce when he landed, nor did the ground give when he rolled downward, it's a solid enough of a surface for him to get injured. It's completely inconsistent, whether he then 'hurt' his shoulder subsequently seems to be not thought out clearly at the very least.

I can look at and enjoy Bond films through an objective perspective, not a sycophantic filter.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ali wrote: »
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Nobody else likes the QoS pre-title? I happen to love the quick cuts at the beginning b/w the lake and the car; a sort of contast b/w natural beauty and man made beauty. And then BAM, one of the best car chases in a movie in forever (even though ALOT don't like it for whatever reason) and then it ends with a smooth "Its time to get out" accompanied by the perfect smirk. Too bad that trash of a song followed, (not to mention a relatively forgettable Bond movie).

I love it, but I'm a petrolhead. Whoever edited the sound, to go from the menacing string and then, suddenly, stop them and only have the glorious Aston V12 ripping through the gears was a genius. For that, alone, it's my favourite.

I agree completely with this. QoS's pretitle is a work of art on many levels. Sometimes I think that movie is ahead of its time or on a different plane. There is some genius to some of the sequences, but like all work of genius it's difficult to fully fathom immediately.....it grows on you......a real slow burner. The same applies to the Opera sequence.

The first time I saw the pretitles in the theatre I was nearly cursing at the editing choices. Now when I see it I understand what Forster was trying to achieve. It's visceral. Almost like you're in a fight. It's immediate. It's exhausting.

The opening shot of the Italian lake to the mountain to the Aston's bonnet to the wheels spinning to the revs of the Aston's V12 are a masterclass in audio/visual work. It starts off like a beautiful quiet dream and.......then you're awoken by a brutal, violent, vicious nightmare. Craig does a magnificent job of acting Bondian while his car is ripped to shreds and spun around, and the shooting angle from inside his car adds to the drama.

These guys really don't get the credit they deserve for being inventive with that sequence. It is genius. Maybe they should have inserted a few more wide long range shots from time to time for a second or two to take us away from the sheer brutality of the events on the ground....that may have helped to improve perceptions.

It's such a shame that this work of art segues into that unmelodious, mangled title track. It deserved so much more. Perhaps they were trying with the title track to create the same discomfort as the opening scene had. If that was their objective, they succeeded. I become very uncomfortable every time I hear it. Thank goodness for 'fast forward'

The opening of QoS is pretty amazing, and my esteem for that picture grows. Is it perfect? Nope, and they do seem to run out of story in the second act, but lots of poignant stuff to enjoy and the impressive action set pieces.
    Anon wrote: »
    Looks like Bond did enough damage landing on the Dome roof and cabling to persuade me that later scenes could justifiably feature an injury on either (or even both) shoulder(s).

The usual rule is that whatever it looks like, Bond is only shown to get hurt if it's a plot point. So if he's not smarting from landing badly on his right shoulder, that's just Bond.

I think it's fair to state that at the very least the result of the action simply was not explained very clearly, during the action and afterwards.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    In a small concession to @doubleohdad, the wind shield POV shot he saw on Q's boat was actually a shot from the police car smashing through boxes of fish (slo-mo reveals the right hand drive), a confusing editing choice I must admit. Apologies for any sarcasm on my part concerning that.

Appreciate that, Chris.

Again, your haven't made any point.

I can look at and enjoy Bond films through an objective perspective, not a sycophantic filter.[/quote]

I can enjoy Bond films and critique them without piping up blithering comments about so called continuity errors.

Bond falls from rope. Bond lands on back. Bond rolls down the dome, injures left shoulder on cable. End of. I find it curious that none one, at least on this forum, has never had a problem making out what happens in this scene...apart from you.

When he lands on the dome without injuring his shoulder first, we can assume that this is because he is...uhm, Bond??

Funny you don't have a problem with Craig turning up perfectly fine in Greece after a 100ft fall from a bridge into a river. But no, it's probably because it's a Brosnan film...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    In fact, I retract my above comment.
    There is no continuity error whatsoever, thus this discussion is fruitless.
    Yeah, I just watched it in slo-mo, he's definitely in pain(face) with the left arm.
    :))
    And I *just* realized what Q meant by "not finished"- the boat was supposed to have an enclosed wind/submersible screen... what a dope I am, I never even thought about that before. :\">

And ahh yes, the wind screen that's not there EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A POV of the windscreen in the sequence…Eesh, the lackadaisical way this movie was made surprises me still.

In fairness @doubleohdad, your comment was referring to the Q boat, not the police boat.
    Double post
    Certainly if my comments were blithering, you would not spend so much time both looking them up on the DVDs as well as arguing against them to the point of splitting hairs, lol

And I did have an issue with the Craig stuff in Greece despite that his 'death' is explained in the subsequent MTS both literally and metaphorically. It's a statement of theme, but I certainly would have preferred he not fall from that height, but the quality of each picture is a different matter from whether an individual plot point or stunt is worked out to maximum efficiency.

And it's 'Bond falls from rope…lands on shoulder'.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    "bondjames wrote:
    I like the way you've described it. It does posses dreamlike qualities with it's rapid movements. Craig is quite graceful despite the sea of chaos surrounding him.
    pachazo wrote: »
    "bondjames wrote:
    I like the way you've described it. It does posses dreamlike qualities with it's rapid movements. Craig is quite graceful despite the sea of chaos surrounding him.

After the baddies car crashes, look carefully, you'll be able t osee one of the bodies falling out of the car. Just an awesome sequence.
    Certainly if my comments were blithering, you would not spend so much time both looking them up on the DVDs as well as arguing against them to the point of splitting hairs, lol

Nope, I put the *Blu Ray on because all this talk made me want to watch it ;) To be honest, I haven't watched a Bond film since two weeks ago, so I needed to be replenished.

Looking at YouTube footage, it seems he actually falls on his left arm, with his elbow hitting first.

Oh, and the splitting hairs comment is a little rich...
    To each his own...
    Indeed. We'll leave it there.

Anyway, add me to the list of the few people who like the YOLT PTS. John Barry, nuff said.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Favorites - FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM (#1), MR, TLD, GE, CR
    Least Favorites - OP, QOS

Other than your dislike of OP overall @Birdleson what about the PTS of OP do you feel makes it so bad.
    Even if you dislike the film as a whole, the PTS of say DAD, DAF, AVTAK, TWINE, LALD would surely rank lower.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The best? Pick it out of a hat amongst these three:
    "Shocking" opener in GF
    The ski chase in TSWLM
    The meeting with Dreyfus (in glorious B&W) in CR

I love the bungee jump in GE, but the sequence ends with a ridiculous free-fall into an unmanned airplane. No go.

The worst?
    The ski chase in AVTAK...ugh, that Beach Boys music. Gag.

Beach boys music in a Bond film?
    Gimme a break.

PTS-wise, I'd rank them like this:

Classic: TB, GE

70's, '80's: TLD

Modern: GE, CR, SF

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    My top 10:
    1. GE
    2. TWINE
    3. TMWTGG
    4. SF
    6. CR06
    7. TND
    8. DAD
    9. TLD
    10. OHMSS

Honorable Mentions: AVTAK, TSWLM, MR, YOLT, OP

Least favorites: LTK, FYEO, DAF
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    That's easy...

1. TWINE
    2. GE
    3. TND
    4. TLD
    5. OP
    6. LTK
    7. DAD
    8. TSWLM
    9. MR
    10. DRNO...joke...AVTAK

Least good:

1. CR
    2. SF
    3. DRNO...joke...(I'm probably drunk :P ) FYEO
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Fav GF ..least TB
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Even though MR may be the most impressive yet (I actually think the helicopter scene in the dockland factory in FYEO is up there as well), there is no doubt that the ones in GF and TSWLM (the end at least) are the most iconic and remembered by the general public.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Both MR and FYEO are ruined by cartoonist moments for me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    TLD, pts is my favourite brilliant mini movie.
    least favourite, is either LALD or TMWTGG.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DrGorner wrote: »
    TLD, pts is my favourite brilliant mini movie.
    least favourite, is either LALD or TMWTGG.

Is it because they don t feature Bond?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Could be I just find them a little uninspired, Golden Gun is
    at least a little weird a bit Flemingesque, so it may be as you
    point out, No Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    Even though MR may be the most impressive yet (I actually think the helicopter scene in the dockland factory in FYEO is up there as well), there is no doubt that the ones in GF and TSWLM (the end at least) are the most iconic and remembered by the general public.

I agree with you that FYEO is up there. It's actually really impressive and executed brilliantly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I never really got into the FYEO helicopter bit due to the somewhat campish nature of Blofeld & the horrid Conti action disco score. It felt like a let down after MR's outlandish brilliance (which itself was spoiled by the Jaws joke at the end imho).

For me the best are:
    1. TSWLM
    2. MR (despite Jaws joke)
    3. TND
    4. TLD
    5. OP
    6. GE
    7. OHMSS (Barry's absolutely wonderful score plays a big part)
    8. CR

Bottom of the pile are
    1. DAF
    2. LALD
    3. TMWTGG
    4. TWINE
    5. DAD