Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

no she will give us a bland Bassey styled song. Which is what many other female singers have done with 007. I don't get it everyone wants changes with Bond but wants Shirley Bassey and Shirley Bassey clones to do the theme and only them why?

sigh
    Adele is one of the few artists out there who can perform a Bassey-style song without sounding like she's trying to be Bassey - which is what the likes of Amy Winehouse would have done.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited September 2011 Posts: 7,965
    no she will give us a bland Bassey styled song. Which is what many other female singers have done with 007. I don't get it everyone wants changes with Bond but wants Shirley Bassey and Shirley Bassey clones to do the theme and only them why?

sigh
    On what do you base that she'd be a ' bland' Sherley Bassey clone? You may think a lot (or less) about Adele, but bland is the oddest thing I've ever heard anyone say about here. Bland she most certainly is not! Of course she'll be compared to SB, but I think she's got it in her to be something completely her own. Or should i consider Tina Turner a Sherley clone as well?

• edited September 2011 Posts: 9,767
    on goldeneye she was a Bassey clone. The raw power of Tina Turner was gone on that track.

I just don't get why Arnold who is essentially trying to sound more and more like John Barry is a great crime yet title acts can clone Bassey and no one bats an eyelash.

Is there a reason?

The Craig bond films have a sound all their own Raw rock and roll let's continue that and forget what was done in 1964.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    on goldeneye she was a Bassey clone. The raw power of Tina Turner was gone on that track.

I just don't get why Arnold who is essentially trying to sound more and more like John Barry is a great crime yet title acts can clone Bassey and no one bats an eyelash.

Is there a reason?

The Craig bond films have a sound all their own Raw rock and roll let's continue that and forget what was done in 1964.
    Well, QoS had no raw Rock, nor any music, just noise. And a lot of it too. If that's what you want you'll scare away anyone (or thing) with functioning ears.

I do not believe she'll try to copy Bassey. But if you think Tina Turner's song was a Bassey clone then there's nothing to it. I mean, Tina sang as she has done for quite a while before she did Goldeneye. If that's cloning, then any female singer with a powerfull voice is a Bassey clone.

Well, QoS had no raw Rock, nor any music, just noise. And a lot of it too. If that's what you want you'll scare away anyone (or thing) with functioning ears.
    =D> :>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9722&t=mi6&s=news

So what do you all make of the latest news? I say it could well be true but it'll only be one of the many songs submitted. Adele may not get it. Plus wouldn't she need to know the title to write the song?
    I think this is a case people want it to be true so it's true. to go from the rock of You know my name and Another Way To Die to a jazzier song would just feel weird. But I see I'm in the minority.

I still don't understand why Paul McCartney can't come back!
    Plus wouldn't she need to know the title to write the song?
    Not necessarily, just look at CR or QOS.

I think if Alele is really working on a Bond 23 song, then she is doing it on her own, hoping that EON will accept it. Broccoli & Michael G. usually select the title song writer & performer just a few months before the premiere.
    Plus wouldn't she need to know the title to write the song?
    Not necessarily, just look at CR or QOS.
    But you'd still need a title wouldn't you? Otherwise how would you begin to write the song?
    I think if Alele is really working on a Bond 23 song, then she is doing it on her own, hoping that EON will accept it. Broccoli & Michael G. usually select the title song writer & performer just a few months before the premiere.
    Or they could choose someone to sing and co-write the song with David Arnold. Always a good choice that's worked in the past. The title performers for the last two films were announced in the last fews days of July. I wonder if it'll be the same this time?

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_21_artist_announced.php3?t=&s=articles&id=01237

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_22_song_announcement.php3?t=qos&s=qos&id=01967
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    The Sun article (OK, I know it's the Sun, but anyway...) states that "the track will then be a strong contender to feature in the next spy movie".

To me that leaves open the possibility that Adele is one of possibly several artists that will hand in an entry for the title song. The title is not important at this stage, I guess the contestants will be given that information in time.
    It makes me think if some artists are being lined up now, the title of the film can be used for a song as they'll, like us I feel, be informed of it soon.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I hope the title name of the song match this time with title of the movie.
    Adele is one of the few artists out there who can perform a Bassey-style song without sounding like she's trying to be Bassey - which is what the likes of Amy Winehouse would have done.
    Something in the style of Moonraker mabey Goldfinger. I also think about Lulu too.
  • I hope the title name of the song match this time with title of the movie.
    Something in the style of Moonraker mabey Goldfinger. I also think about Lulu too.
    never lulu

With the brilliance of Adele - it's either going to be an introspective classic or a retrospective classic. Whatever direction they go with it's going to be a classic and classic Bond song, at last.

But you'd still need a title wouldn't you? Otherwise how would you begin to write the song?
    Because the songs don't hinge on the presence of the film title. It's nice, but not critical. If you go back and look at the recent trend of songs, two themes keep coming up: first, Bond's relationship with a woman, as is the case with GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough; and secondly, the songs reflect the life of being a paid assassin, as we saw in You Know My Name and Another Way to Die. The only exception to this is Die Another Day, but even the English teacher in my struggles to find meaning in that.

When EON start looking for a title artist, they have two different methods. Either they will pick an artist and approach them directly, as they did with Madonna, or in the case of White and Keys, they will put out an open call for interested parties. They appear to be doing the latter with BOND 23. I can't imagine that they would say "Okay, we want a title theme, so if you're interested, send us a demo tape". They'd no doubt have some idea of what they want from the actual song, so when they put out that open call, they will probably specify some ideas, most likely the theme of the song reflecting the theme of the film.
  • tqbtqb
    http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/90119/adele-goes-on-the-disabled-list-until-2012-after-throat-surgery/

Adele is supposed to have throat surgery. IF she is supposed to do Bond, im not sure how this will effect it.
    IF she is supposed to do Bond, im not sure how this will effect it.
    Probably not at all. She's out "until 2012", but she has only cancelled her 2011 tour dates. She clearly expects to be back in business come the new year. BOND 23 does not come out until November 2012. She'll have plenty of time to recover. And you know what she can do in the meantime? Write a theme song.
    or hopefully give up and let Duran Duran do it or Rush
    Ew, no.
  • tqbtqb
    Ah because in the interview didnt she state she was going to the studio soon to record "a theme" ?
    Yes, she said that. But she didn't say it was a Bond theme - everyone simply assumed it was. And given that a few other acts (like You Me At Six) have made it known that they will be putting together a theme of their own, EON is clearly in the process of receiving demo tapes. So there is plenty of time for Adele to record a theme. I don't think Another Way to Die was actually recorded until July-August 2008.
    I just saw Duran Duran at Madison Square Garden perform "A View To A Kill" and it was awesome! The theme for AVTAK is a real standout, so I'm not sure about the "ew, no." I bet Duran Duran could deliver a better theme then the last six films! Though I'm not sure about Rush...
    I just saw Duran Duran at Madison Square Garden perform "A View To A Kill" and it was awesome! The theme for AVTAK is a real standout, so I'm not sure about the "ew, no." I bet Duran Duran could deliver a better theme then the last six films! Though I'm not sure about Rush...
    Slightly off topic, but did they play anything from Medazzaland or Pop Trash?

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed. Adele clearly has not been asked to perform the title theme. She is expected to submit a demo tape, but other artists are doing the same. The thread title implies she is performing the theme song for certain, when there is no evidence of this.
    Depends how its interpreted @shadowonthesun. She may well have been asked to submit a theme or an idea, but I would doubt it was THE theme. Especially at this time!
    If EON want an artist to submit a theme, then that's the artist who will perform the theme. They don't ask someone to submit a demo tape.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'll admit I use to hate Adele but the woman has grown on me; in fact, I've even debated buying her album (and I'm a guy). She would be a perfect singer for a Bond opening theme. I heard she was having throat surgery soon, so I don't know if she'll be able to do it in time.
  • I won't elaborate but i don't want this singer as the next artist to do Bond, Duran again is an interesting idea, it worked back in 1985 as they were one of the biggest acts on the planet at the time and fitted in with Moore as Bond but in todays day and age and with Craig as 007 something stands out they just wouldn't seem appropriate in todays climate or for a 2012 release

All I ask if something above the absolute chicken litter they came up with for QOS, bring us back something like what Cornell gave us, or even bring Garbage back if they can, after all, a good Bond theme can play an important part to what the overall impression is to some people

• I won't elaborate but i don't want this singer as the next artist to do Bond, Duran again is an interesting idea, it worked back in 1985 as they were one of the biggest acts on the planet at the time and fitted in with Moore as Bond but in todays day and age and with Craig as 007 something stands out they just wouldn't seem appropriate in todays climate or for a 2012 release

All I ask if something above the absolute chicken litter they came up with for QOS, bring us back something like what Cornell gave us, or even bring Garbage back if they can, after all, a good Bond theme can play an important part to what the overall impression is to some people

Have you hears Adele sing? Man she is awesome. I defy you to give one musical reason why she can't do it.

I hope she's fit and able to give us a belter of a song. My hairs on the back of my er back are standing on eand just thinking about it.

Can't wait for the be confirmed.
    she sounds like Shirley bassey in fact she sounds like a poor version of shirley bassey.