Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    Well, regarding Buble: I never heard anything about him that had a core other than fan talks. Did he apply for it? Or did the producers or anybody musically involved bring him onto the table?

If not I could never imagine him to be a mere possibility. There was never anyone chosen for the theme that would fit into a special interests genre. They always chose artists that have established themselves to the general public. Buble is only popular with elderly people who long for the good ol' times. He's more or less a revival show. Nothing more. He hasn't even a distinctive style on his own - only the one borrowed from the stars of the fifties. Which was Monro. But to argue with him is not very helpful. He had a style that was widely popular in 1963. But not today!

Back on topic:

Adele's attempt: a big brassy Bond ballad cheerfully celebrated by cineasts. And stress that capital B!

And to qualify her, a lil' CV:
    Big: Set Fire to the Rain - from the intro on I always thought "B-O-N-D!"
    Brassy: Many Shades of Black (with the Raconteurs) - Her only collaboration to date. With AWTD mastermind Jack White!
    Ballad: Hometown Glory (Live from the Royal Albert) - Just listen to that intro and then tell me again she wouldn't be capable of a ballad that's Bond-worthy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't care what anyone says: EON, MGM, and the like have not released a confirmation, so as 99.9% sure as it seems that Adele is doing the song, I'll hold out for said official confirmation. Ryan Seacrest =/= MGM/EON.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Don't people realise this 'confirmation' is going back to The Sun of all places?

You think people could wait a little over two weeks don't you? Good God.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Samuel001 wrote:

But there's no point waiting over two weeks since everybody already knows. They're just waiting two weeks so Bond day is less of a failure. Wizard put it best.
    Are they really going to drag this out for another two and a half weeks until Bond day when the horse has practically bolted?

Theres a fine line between fuelling speculation as part of the publicity drive and becoming tedious and we are getting very close to that line now.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 655
    That tweet is just proof that its adele. I dont think someone quite famous would lie about it. It wouldnt be good reputation. So yes, it is definitly ADELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Samuel001 wrote:

But there's no point waiting over two weeks since everybody already knows.

If that's the case why wasn't Adele announced last September?

The answer is EON announce things as they want to. It's still just a well worked and backed up rumour at the moment - officially, of course.

Bond Day was likely always planned as the day to announce the news. Nothing to do with making it "less of a failure".

Like it or not, you've got to wait two weeks. Big deal, I'm sure there are plenty of other things, Bond and non-Bond, to do in that time.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    What I would give to know for sure or just to give to hear just a tiny bit of the song 8->
    That tweet is just proof that its adele. I dont think someone quite famous would lie about it. It wouldnt be good reputation. So yes, it is definitly ADELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While we're almost 100% certain that it's Adele, it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. So no, it isn't "definitely" anything as of yet.
    Creasy47 wrote:

While we're almost 100% certain that it's Adele, it hasn't been officially confirmed yet. So no, it isn't "definitely" anything as of yet.

I know it's not a definate yet, bit thats the best bit of proof we have had yet.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think the reason EON can wait to let the world hear this is that they know that unlike with CR & QOS they have a bona fide world wide smash with Adele attached, name me the last time someone was picked for the job who is at the level of popularity and peak of their career that she is?

And before anyone says Duran Duran they were at the end of the first phase of their career at this point and well past their peak. Having an artist like Adele singing the theme they lucked out and despite some fans boys wanting poor man's crooner for the pensioners Buble, she is by far the smart bet and she is without doubt got the job sign sealed and delivered.

A Bond theme tune is not had this level of expectation or obvious success in ages, if she pulls it out the bag and Newman backs it up with Bond with a capital B we will have the first theme that will attract the largest demographic than any title theme has done in decades and yes I believe this will considerably contribute to being Craig's biggest box office smash to date.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 130
    There is no point in arguing about whether it is confirmed or not. If the guy frequently working with Adele says he has heard it, I believe it. Come on, EON, release it already!

And when will we get the Thomas Newman videoblog?? :)
    xolani wrote:
    There is no point in arguing about whether it is confirmed or not. If the guy frequently working with Adele says he has heard it, I believe it. Come on, EON, release it already!

And when will we get the Thomas Newman videoblog?? :)
    I aggree with you. He is friends with Adele, and he wouldn't lie about that. It would not only be bad rep for him, it wouldnt be nice for Adele, using her to stirr the rumors even more. So yes, even though its not confirmet by Eon or Adele, to me, it is definatly her and im glad. :)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    These comments are funny. It is like having this conversation:

Random Man: "Man, I can't wait for Skyfall!"
    Random Woman: "I know, and Adele was perfect for the theme! She was a great pick, and I can't wait to hear it."
    Random Man: "Wait, I check every day for announcements made by EON, and they haven't said anything about Adele singing the theme."
    Random Woman: "Yeah, but The Sun said so, and there are all these tweets that say she is doing it, so I am positive it is her."
    Random Man: "All you did was read speculation on the internet though...That isn't reputable..."
    Random Woman: "Oh, don't be foolish. EVERYTHING on the internet is true!"
    Shardlake wrote:
    And before anyone says Duran Duran they were at the end of the first phase of their career at this point and well past their peak. Having an artist like Adele singing the theme they lucked out and despite some fans boys wanting poor man's crooner for the pensioners Buble, she is by far the smart bet and she is without doubt got the job sign sealed and delivered.
    You ruined a pretty good argument with the Duran Duran comparison, @Shardlake. DD were certainly "not well past their peak" when they performed AVTAK. The 1983 to 1985 period was when they were actually at their peak with No 1's on both sides of the Atlantic and their first major stadium dates in America. Hindsight tells us that after they temporary split into two side projects (Power Station and Arcadia) in early 1985 the band were never the same after this break. But the announcement that they were to perform the new Bond song was met with universal enthusiasm at the time. The single remains the only Bond theme to go to Number 1 on the US charts, and the highest-placed Bond theme on the UK chart where it reached Number 2. That doesn't happen when a band is well past their peak. If anything DD peaked with the Bond song and lost two of its core members to fatigue and tension the following year in 1986. Currently we don't know whether Adele is at her peak so it's hard to judge what lies beyond the Bond song for her, but I think you do Duran Duran a disservice by implying they weren't really that big a deal at the time. They made singing the Bond song hip again, and now everyone wants to have a go at one.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    bondsum wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    You ruined a pretty good argument with the Duran Duran comparison, @Shardlake. DD were certainly "not well past their peak" when they performed AVTAK. The 1983 to 1985 period was when they were actually at their peak with No 1's on both sides of the Atlantic and their first major stadium dates in America. Hindsight tells us that after they temporary split into two side projects (Power Station and Arcadia) in early 1985 the band were never the same after this break. But the announcement that they were to perform the new Bond song was met with universal enthusiasm at the time. The single remains the only Bond theme to go to Number 1 on the US charts, and the highest-placed Bond theme on the UK chart where it reached Number 2. That doesn't happen when a band is well past their peak. If anything DD peaked with the Bond song and lost two of its core members to fatigue and tension the following year in 1986. Currently we don't know whether Adele is at her peak so it's hard to judge what lies beyond the Bond song for her, but I think you do Duran Duran a disservice by implying they weren't really that big a deal at the time. They made singing the Bond song hip again, and now everyone wants to have a go at one.

I remember the time well, it may well have been a massive hit for them but it was all downhill after this, whereas Adele is far from going downhill, she is arguably one of the biggest artists on the planet and her next material will be waited for with baited breath.

That being said I'm not even a fan I'm just glad that EON have taken the sense to use an artist well and truly at the peak of their powers, I am a Soundgarden fan and thought Cornell's song was great for CR and while I think AWTD was probably the worst thing that Jack White has released I still like it but neither Cornell or JW will reach the demographic that Adele will and you can't say that about a title tune for ages, I'll give you DD but my point was they didn't go onto anything that significant after that, many of their fans might have loved their output and side projects but after VTAK they never scaled those heights again.
    These comments are funny. It is like having this conversation:

Random Man: "Man, I can't wait for Skyfall!"
    Random Woman: "I know, and Adele was perfect for the theme! She was a great pick, and I can't wait to hear it."
    Random Man: "Wait, I check every day for announcements made by EON, and they haven't said anything about Adele singing the theme."
    Random Woman: "Yeah, but The Sun said so, and there are all these tweets that say she is doing it, so I am positive it is her."
    Random Man: "All you did was read speculation on the internet though...That isn't reputable..."
    Random Woman: "Oh, don't be foolish. EVERYTHING on the internet is true!"

Well stated, and incredibly true. People keep speaking about not arguing the topic, yet they believe in The Sun and tweets. Wait...whaaaa?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    If that's the case why wasn't Adele announced last September?

The answer is EON announce things as they want to. It's still just a well worked and backed up rumour at the moment - officially, of course.

Bond Day was likely always planned as the day to announce the news. Nothing to do with making it "less of a failure".

Like it or not, you've got to wait two weeks. Big deal, I'm sure there are plenty of other things, Bond and non-Bond, to do in that time.

Obviously they're not going to announce it before SF had been announced. And they normally wait until nearer the film, but not this late.

I really hope it's not Adele now, so they suprise me and it'll mean I haven't waited two weeks for them to announce something I already knew there was an 80% chance of happening. If they announce it as Adele on Bond day, it'll just be meh. I just don't see the point in dragging it out until then.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,333
    I can see where you're coming from, @Shardlake. Adele is a different kind of act to DD and isn't driven by the same sort of fan base - that being screaming teenagers buying into the latest in-thing. I'm sure Adele has plenty more years left in her and will prove to be popular with a mature crowd. That's if she can find something else to sing about apart from her ex-boyfriend on album 3. But honestly, I think it's a sound move from EON if they have hired her.

PS. Is there an idiot below me that's written double post? Very informative.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Double Post
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Eiragorn wrote:
    Well, regarding Buble: I never heard anything about him that had a core other than fan talks. Did he apply for it? Or did the producers or anybody musically involved bring him onto the table?

If not I could never imagine him to be a mere possibility. There was never anyone chosen for the theme that would fit into a special interests genre. They always chose artists that have established themselves to the general public. Buble is only popular with elderly people who long for the good ol' times. He's more or less a revival show. Nothing more. He hasn't even a distinctive style on his own - only the one borrowed from the stars of the fifties. Which was Monro. But to argue with him is not very helpful. He had a style that was widely popular in 1963. But not today!

Thank Christ finally for some sanity over Buble. Seems like its just me, Shardlake and you Eiragorn wandering alone in this desert of musical imbicility.

The guy is the sort of tribute act you'd get in some working mans club in Bolton.

'Tonight Matthew I'm going to be - Matt Munro'. Simply awful.

Even Tiny Tempah wouldnt be that much worse.
  • I know it'll probably be Adele but god damnit I'm still holding out hope for Rush.
    Total Film claim that Adele (acatessen) has now been confirmed. I trust em.
    LeChiffre wrote:

Not only was this posted numerous times a few days ago, but it's yet again another rumor resorting back to The Sun. They are not EON.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:

Not only was this posted numerous times a few days ago, but it's yet again another rumor resorting back to The Sun. They are not EON.

There's more chance of Sean Connery putting in an appearance at a Bond function this year than it not being Adele!

Like I've said, it's almost 100% probable that Adele is doing the theme song...but it still hasn't been confirmed.
  • LeChiffre wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:

There's more chance of Sean Connery putting in an appearance at a Bond function this year than it not being Adele!

No, its not been confirmed. But with that tweet about hearing the theme song, that must be true. He wouldnt lie, would he?
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,215
    If it wasn't Adele, EON for sure would have come out and said so by this point.

It would be such a shame if it wasn't Adele. She reminds me of the great female vocalists from the 60's and 70's. She knows how to sing and is pretty popular around the world. Or so I've heard. Don't know the whole world :P

I really doubt that. EON don't comment on rumours. They just let the press get on with it.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

I really doubt that. EON don't comment on rumours. They just let the press get on with it.

If I remember correctly, they denied the rumors about the film being based on Carte Blanche and some casting info. Plus now with the tweet by Ryan Tedder and its swift deleting, it's pretty much certain. Although EON hasn't confirmed it, at this point they don't really need to for us to know it is the case.