Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

Muse have just released a single called Madness so I doubt they will have 2 songs competing against each other come October, unless songs come and go quicker in today's market. Nah, I don't think it's Muse. I still believe it's Adele and they have Michael Bublé in reserve in case the song doesn't work. Though I do think the Hobbit connection is a valid one, I can't see any reason why Jonathan Ross would hint at Adele doing the Bond song if it didn't carry some weight.
  • Getafix wrote:
    EON almost always get it wrong. Portishead should have done one in the 90s but were overlooked. I am not expecting much this time.

I never thought of that before, but you're dead on. Portishead would've been perfect. But, hey, they're back together again and their last LP was every bit as great as their early stuff, so who knows? It could happen.

I would be fine with Adel or Muse, but of the two, Muse's style would fit better with the feel of "epic-ness" we've seen in the trailers. Adel music, while perfectly fine in it's own right, is far more intimate and personal. It's more fit for a small nightclub, as opposed to Muse's stadium-filling sound.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Buble is amazing. The first time I heard him was when he sang spider-man, during the end credits of the first spider-man film back in 2002. He'd be perfect for a Bond film, almost too perfect.
  • Im starting to feel that we wont be getting a title song for skyfall, unless EON are being very coy and really waiting to reveal the news. I reckon the Adele situation fell through due to her pregnancy making it too late for a new title song to be recorded. I for one am excited about the prospect of Thomas Newman scoring the segment instead.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The song was recorded months ago. Adele's pregnancy wouldn't have been an issue.
  • Um, you guys do know that women can still sing while they're pregnant, right? Their vocal cords are located well north of their uterus. ;-)
  • We will have a song....something big is brewing, really big...watch this space next week.

what do you know that we don't @forgotmyusername? Hmmmm?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @forgotmyusername what did you mean by that? :-\" More importantly who do you mean by that? And if you know something, and it looks like you do, would you be a good fellow and tell us, beginning or end of next week, to calm down our nerves you see O:-)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Slash should do it. Or Alice Cooper.

You know I would love that!

The Muse theory is really interesting though. Whoever does it, I hope Newman composed it. It really screws up the personality aspect of the soundtrack for me when neither the title or end song gets used. As far as a Barry ripoff, I also doubt it will happen but aspects of the style he created need to be there and I hope he is aware of that. A un-Bondian GE type soundtrack is the last thing I want to hear. If Skyfall is classic Bond, give me a classic sounding piece of work. Please.
    Less then 50 days to go and still nothing on who is doing the title song....it's really starting to bug me now!!! I hope we hear something really soon.

Looking in the Mi6.co.uk archive I found out that The Guardian reviewed Another Way To Die on the 14/09/08...so I really hope something is announced soon!
  • Yep, because of their "Madness" release, I also doubt now that it's Muse. A pity but then again, I don't really care much for their new song. Bit dissapointed I have to admit.
    I'm pretty sure it's Adele. Though if it's something big and seeing as resurrection is a topic in skyfall...maybe they resurrect the missing Beatles and Joe Strummer, so that The Clash and the Beatles do the song togehter....

...would that be so unlikely?!?! ;-)
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Good news Portishead are back. They worship John Barry. A shame Eon gave us such crud in the Brosnan era.

I agree with Sir H. Whoever does the song I want it well integrated with the soundtrack. But if its Adele that will probably mean she wrote it herself...
  • Thought about this last night and thought Emelie Sande? (dont know if that is correctly spelt but you get the idea)
    Adele, Buble and Emily Sande are my top 3 choices to do the theme.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thought about this last night and thought Emelie Sande? (dont know if that is correctly spelt but you get the idea)

After her Olympics performance she became one of my top choices!
    When I wasn't so sure the title would be Skyfall, it was.
    When I wasn't so sure Arnold wasn't composing, he's not.
    And I'm not sure Adele is doing the theme, but..
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lvdrj/features/voteterms

Come on guys vote for your favourite Bond theme now. Let's keep the MI6 board end up and send a message to the BBC.

You know you want to.
  • Yep, because of their "Madness" release, I also doubt now that it's Muse. A pity but then again, I don't really care much for their new song. Bit dissapointed I have to admit.
    I'm pretty sure it's Adele. Though if it's something big and seeing as resurrection is a topic in skyfall...maybe they resurrect the missing Beatles and Joe Strummer, so that The Clash and the Beatles do the song togehter....

...would that be so unlikely?!?! ;-)

Sure. They can do "London Calling" and Sir Paul can sing the classic line "phony Beattlemania has bitten the dust". :-)
  • Kananga wrote:
    Less then 50 days to go and still nothing on who is doing the title song....it's really starting to bug me now!!! I hope we hear something really soon.

Looking in the Mi6.co.uk archive I found out that The Guardian reviewed Another Way To Die on the 14/09/08...so I really hope something is announced soon!

Thats great you noticed that. You might be on to somothing their. I hope it gets announced next week. But it should definitly be this month shouldnt it ?
  • Within thr next week or so, I theme tune should be announced.... fingers crossed. I think it is adel, but then i thought, who was it that daniel craig wanted to play the theme tune. It was way back last year, there was news about who he liked to sing it. a band called...???? does anyone know.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Grinderman wrote:
    Um, you guys do know that women can still sing while they're pregnant, right? Their vocal cords are located well north of their uterus. ;-)

LMAO! I was thinking the same thing.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Within thr next week or so, I theme tune should be announced.... fingers crossed. I think it is adel, but then i thought, who was it that daniel craig wanted to play the theme tune. It was way back last year, there was news about who he liked to sing it. a band called...???? does anyone know.
    On Monday, Apr 16th, Hitfix asked producer Barbara Broccoli whether Adele’s involvement was in the pipeline, only for the veteran of the franchise to answer mysteriously that nobody was confirmed. Thankfully, Daniel Craig himself was on hand to cheekily suggest Adele, prompting Broccoli to say that “it’ll be great if she would do it”. That's the only comment I've read from Craig on the song.

UPDATE: I know who you mean now. It was.... The Kings of Leon. “Hmm. Daniel Craig has asked me before. I have turned him down 3 times already but maybe,” says drummer Nathan Followill. “I’ve always wanted to work with strings though so maybe yeah, that’ll be a good excuse.”
  • Or yeah, thanks for that. The Kings of Leon might be a consideration then. Adel is still in back of my mind though. I mean, when she said im doing a theme, it's one song. hmmmmm i need to know soon. The suspense is killing me. lol.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 655
    I do remember when the coke advert came out for QOS, the theme was announced shortly after on the radio. But with the tune not heared in the new advert, i just hope they still announced the theme tune around same time. It had to be this month though, i hope.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote:
    EON almost always get it wrong. Portishead should have done one in the 90s but were overlooked. I am not expecting much this time.

Portishead are one the great missed opportunities of the theme tune legacy of Bond, in the 90's they were a big part of the Bristol scene and them in particular like Massive Attack were obviously influenced by Barry's scores, all of Portishead's albums have distinct Barry feel to them but still with their own unique spin.

Beth Gibbons talent puts the like of Adele into perspective.

• imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited September 2012 Posts: 972
    Less than 50 days left to the movie being released and still no word yet on who is doing the song? Very odd. The longer the delay, the more I feel there won't be any vocalist at all for the opening titles.. Probably just a musical score opening like how it was for Dr No, FRWL and OHMSS. The opening score is probably gonna be in the Skyfall soundtrack album which is already available for pre-order...
    I would be shocked if they don't have a vocalist, if they don't they are missing a huge form of advertisement and interest, but hey im no expert.
  • Why not have an instrumental like for OHMSS or even from Russia? That could be quite fitting for the 50th year anniversary, and I'd take that right now rather than risk the potential horror of what could be to come. I feel I've got pretty good instincts and I don't have a good feeling about what we're going to arrive at in terms of the artist for this years release. Everytime I see this thread updated you have that idea at the back of your head, 'she hasn't got it has she'? Always feel a bit apprehensive when taking a look at updates

I still remain insistant that there's a decent chance they have already found someone to do it, and/or the song has been recorded already and they haven't disclosed it yet for whatever reason. I wish they'd just settle this damn issue one way or another

Thinking about it, is worse than doing it. Take note
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    In my opinion, the fact that its the 50th Anniversary makes it seem all the more logical to have it all instrumental instead of having someone singing it out...