Peter Morgan's Bond 23 Treatment Revealed - "Once Upon a Spy"

2»

Comments

She was right in that while everything else fell around her, Bond did not. After all her mistakes, Bond was the only thing she judged right. She didn't trust him to do the job at first, but after he came back she was sure to rest her faith in him.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond saw the bigger picture which is what M had been trying to hammer into Bond's brain since CR and he did; even if it meant using her as bait to stop Silva. M's life was at risk and she knowingly agreed to it. At that point, stopping Silva took priority over M being kept alive; although, the intention was to ensure that she didn't die and in the end she unfortunately did die but tge main objective of stopping Silva was achieved.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond saw the bigger picture which is what M had been trying to hammer into Bond's brain since CR and he did; even if it meant using her as bait to stop Silva. M's life was at risk and she knowingly agreed to it. At that point, stopping Silva took priority over M being kept alive; although, the intention was to ensure that she didn't die and in the end she unfortunately did die but tge main objective of stopping Silva was achieved.

Exactly.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Exactly.

I really don’t see how Bond achieved his plan to stop Silva….he flat-out failed in his mission in SF.

Silva had no overarching scheme. He simply wanted to kill M and discredit MI6. Both of which he succeeded with. Bond failed to stop him in both these regards; he also didn’t even obtain the list of all of the NATO agents embedded in terrorist cells.

M’s final line is clearly a sentimental note. On the Blu-Ray special features, Daniel Craig mentions that the thing he liked about the Bond/M relationship was their inability to articulate their feelings. Clearly there is a certain degree of compassion between the two, however, due to their professions they both have a cold and icy approach to developing personal relationships. When M said that she “got something right”, I’m pretty certain she was finally acknowledging the maternal relationship she shared with Bond.

In a sense, Silva was the one she got wrong; the wayward child. Bond was the one she got right.

It’s undeniable that the line is immensely mawkish and saccharine. It’s a very out of character moment. However, I think that’s the point. M finally acknowledged the relationship she had with Bond in a bittersweet final moment. Bond found his Mother as she died in his arms.

I imagine this is one of the reasons people disliked Mendes’s approach in SF. He was clearly very invested in the artistry and poetry of the story. Which isn’t an overly comfortable notion in a Bond film, this is something Mendes clearly acquiesced on when making SP.

"I imagine this is one of the reasons people disliked Mendes’s approach in SF."

A bold statement considering the box office takings. The insertion of "some" render it a more reasonable statement?
    Ludovico wrote: »

Exactly.

I really don’t see how Bond achieved his plan to stop Silva….he flat-out failed in his mission in SF.

Silva had no overarching scheme. He simply wanted to kill M and discredit MI6. Both of which he succeeded with. Bond failed to stop him in both these regards; he also didn’t even obtain the list of all of the NATO agents embedded in terrorist cells.

M’s final line is clearly a sentimental note. On the Blu-Ray special features, Daniel Craig mentions that the thing he liked about the Bond/M relationship was their inability to articulate their feelings. Clearly there is a certain degree of compassion between the two, however, due to their professions they both have a cold and icy approach to developing personal relationships. When M said that she “got something right”, I’m pretty certain she was finally acknowledging the maternal relationship she shared with Bond.

In a sense, Silva was the one she got wrong; the wayward child. Bond was the one she got right.

It’s undeniable that the line is immensely mawkish and saccharine. It’s a very out of character moment. However, I think that’s the point. M finally acknowledged the relationship she had with Bond in a bittersweet final moment. Bond found his Mother as she died in his arms.

I imagine this is one of the reasons people disliked Mendes’s approach in SF. He was clearly very invested in the artistry and poetry of the story. Which isn’t an overly comfortable notion in a Bond film, this is something Mendes clearly acquiesced on when making SP.

There's no real sense of threat from Silva. As you say, what's his overarching plan that makes it so imperative to risk M's life.

MI6's own incompetence is its own biggest threat.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    jake24 wrote: »
    What does that line mean? I never understood that.
    She was referring to Bond. At least that's how I took it.

She believed in Bond. And he killed Silva.
    At the start of SF M doesn't trust Bond. This is after the scene at the end of QOS where she says 'I need you back'.

Then half way through SF, for no particular reason, she changes her mind and decides she does trust Bond again.

It's a silly film with a dull, messy plot.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    For once, I agree with you.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I actually truly liked SF even given whatever criticisms.

But then I liked QoS and DAD....so whatever.