Bond's Childhood shouldn't be a substantial thing in the films

2»

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    I just want to know if Bond had an Omega watch as a kid.

From the Young Bond series, Bond's first watch was a Mido Multifort. According to author Charlie Higson:
    “I think for the real Bond purists I should have given him a Rolex because that’s his iconic watch. But I sort of love the idea of the Multifort. It just looked like a really interesting watch. And I think, for the time, it is the right watch for him to have. And it’s a nice little nod to CBn.” hence James is given, and wears a Mido in By Royal Command.

While I have attempted to find a photo of this watch being worn by James in 1934, my search has not been fruitful. It appears that James' Aunt tried to keep him out of the limelight and away from cameras. It was only in his latter years that James reluctantly allowed his missions to be filmed, and to be seen wearing a Rolex, Seiko, Omega or (indeed) Pulsar.

I have no problem on showing Bond's childhood in films. It is after all he was greatly influenced and learned some of his skills. With the necessary reboot of younger actors and time periods, it does present a continuity problem. How soon before Bond's military experience is the Middle East?

• echoecho 007 in New York
    HASEROT wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they brought up Bond's naval history in a future film somehow.

i think constantly digging into Bond's past to find new storylines is not the way to go, personally... i think there are plenty of interesting things going on in the world right now, that any credible writer could turn into a plot for a James Bond film... i think we've had enough of Bond's past.

It wouldn't have to be that in-depth...could be a naval friend of Bond's who shows up and jump-starts the plot.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Bond's past is not terribly interesting I don't think, with all due respect to the Young Bond series, which I do read for fun.
    Fleming sketched out the requisite contextual background, but focused on the business of churning out one engaging 007 adventure after another.

So regarding the films, a resounding NOOOOO.
    The Young Bond series and other platforms, sure why not?
    Bond will outlive us all, and who knows what future stories might involve, but for me his prime-age 007 adventures are what excites.
    Not old dog, not becoming Bond, but Bond in prime of 007 career.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    timmer wrote: »
    Bond's past is not terribly interesting I don't think, with all due respect to the Young Bond series, which I do read for fun.
    Fleming sketched out the requisite contextual background, but focused on the business of churning out one engaging 007 adventure after another.

So regarding the films, a resounding NOOOOO.
    The Young Bond series and other platforms, sure why not?
    Bond will outlive us all, and who knows what future stories might involve, but for me his prime-age 007 adventures are what excites.
    Not old dog, not becoming Bond, but Bond in prime of 007 career.

Oddly comforting, that.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,015
    FYI, even if you think in the original version, the "brother" angle is not that present (although "Bond recognizes Oberhauser from his childhood as soon as he sees him" is a pivotal moment...), in the French version, thanks to the "Tu/Vous" possible translations of "You", it's a bit all over the place.

I think it's in particular very strong when Blofeld shows the White suicide: Bond shouts in French "Arrête ça tout de suite". This is the "Stop this now" that you say amongst people who know themselves well. It's not the usual "Arrêtez ça tout de suite" you would heard in any other Bond movies when he talks to the villain.

I mean, Bond uses "Vous" when he talks to Moneypenny, Q, M and even Madeleine at the beginning. He only uses "Tu" for Blofeld and Madeleine in the end...

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    It's been two weeks now, and I still can't believe they made this terrible Bond-villain childhood connection. I think I will never be able to accept it.

No more past issues, please!
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    I blame George Lucas! Ever since "Luke, I am your father" there has been a growing propensity for scriptwriters to shoehorn in tenuous familial ties - especially between hero and villain. Couldn't the reason for ESB's not at all nice behavior simply be down to the fact that he's a thoroughly bad egg rather than using his having his nose put slightly out of joint by his dad taking young James under his wing (for only a matter of months spread out over two years, mind) as justification for attempted world domination? Goodness knows what kind of mischief our favourite cat-lover would get up to if something really bad had happened to him!

'Spectre' is still a terrific film, of course.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,015
    To those who claim the other movies pre-Mendes were simplistic fantasies for idiot fans still living in the 60s who can't handle family issues :

What about a Bond movie where the world is saved by some reluctant accomplice of the villain because he feels his boss has gone one step too far ? Oh yes with Jaws it was played OTT and for a laugh. With Pussy Galore it was OTT too. But they are not the only cases.

Yes, instant characterization in a few seconds happened in the "old movies". They didn't spell it out and hammered it several times to make themselves clear... That's the benefit of having a solid script when the plot is coherent with the motivation. You don't neeed to invent motivation out of the blue with a family secret.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I just want to know if Bond had an Omega watch as a kid.

lol