What if Pierce Brosnan played Bond from 1986 until 2012

12346»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Any Bond actress who says something like "I'd happily play a Bond girl even if I just run around in a bikini" (a quote from Scorropco) gets my approval. None of this "I'm Bond's equal" BS.
    My kind of girl.....

and then she goes ahead and turns in quite a 'strong woman' performance anyway imho. She reminds me a lot of Tatianna from FRWL. The Russian accent gets me every time. She's definitely a GE highlight for me, as is Famke.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    It's a "strong woman" performance, but in a likeable kind of way.
    Wow, Natalia on a par with Tatiana...? Mind blowing.
    No one has mentioned Denise (i'am a nuclear scientist) Richards. :)
    mepal1 wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Denise (i'am a nuclear scientist) Richards. :)

Now we're talking!

AceHole wrote: »
    Watch 'Live Wire' (1992) or 'Death Train' (1993) - if you can stomach either.. Then watch any of the Bonds from 1995 - 2012.

In all instances the leading man is Brosnan, and each of these performances just seem to be exactly the same character. Seriously.
    I don't see how this can even be contested - the man just has no real substance to his acting. He's a nice enough fellow and I'm sure lots of people love his generic, benign pastiche of James Bond. But he ain't 007.

I hated Live Wire. I love Death Train, but not because of Brosnan. But there's lot to love about the movie: set on a train, European scenery, Patrick Stewart, Christopher Lee, did I say it is set on a train?
    I'd put Natalya fairly high up above quite a few Bond girls. She's resourceful and quick thinking (fooling Xenia at Seveneya) yet also projects vulnerability well (she looks genuinely terrified when she's standing amongst the bodies of her dead colleagues and again when she's trying to protect herself from the base blowing up around her).

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed. Soft but also tough ("Well don't just stand there. Get us out of here!!"). Escaped the Severnaya facility, made a fool out of Boris, berated Bond, knows how to handle a gun etc. etc.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Wow, Natalia on a par with Tatiana...? Mind blowing.
    Well, they both play Russians who have a bit of fun with our hero. Both top 10 for me.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. Soft but also tough ("Well don't just stand there. Get us out of here!!"). Escaped the Severnaya facility, made a fool out of Boris, berated Bond, knows how to handle a gun etc. etc.

That exchange in the train between Bond and Natalya is funny.

I also like the bit when she goes up and just lays into Boris :) but the bit when she assembles the gun is admittedly quite cheesy. Where exactly did she learn to do that? Convenient writing.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,092
    Can we just agree the series was faltering at this point in time? It was the action-driven Bond, the paint-by-numbers, play it safe Bond? I'm fine with that because there are some enjoyable moments in Brosnan's four; as limited as he was in the role, at least he kinda tried. The movies made money, kept the series going, and we got Craig and the reboot Second Golden Age afterwards and even because the series made money in the 90s. Not too shabby a result methinks. :D
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,130
    Any Bond actress who says something like "I'd happily play a Bond girl even if I just run around in a bikini" (a quote from Scorropco) gets my approval. None of this "I'm Bond's equal" BS.

Im a woman and i loved her comments.
    Its just so unpretentious and saying she loves the franchise and bring in it no matter what role she gets.

I like strong woman in Bond movies and seing them shine but still makes me happy reading the coments from Izabella while are away from the cliche, now every Bond woman wants to be string and a Bond equal saying we are not damesell in destress anymore.

Ok things have changed for woman and its great we celebrate it but film fantasy is that and its quite stupid how everything has to be politically correct.

There is nothing on being like Honey Ryder, Sylvia Trench or Tatiana. They were kind of damessels in destress but they were saved by Connery that's a great thing lol.

I wouldn't hve mind playing a damesell in destress if was saved by Young connery or Pierce Brosnan hehe

Now even more out of topic
    the complain of lack of sexual chemistry between Michelle Yeoh and Pierce is because she was more of a partner than love interest.

Maybe the romantic ending was re written. I stil think their chmeistry was ok and maybe they ended up liking each other by working together on that mission.

On the other hand Pierce had wonderful chemistry with Cecilia Thompson in the danish lessoons scene and i have no words to his love scene with Teri Hatcher.

Actually i was in complete shock when i heard they didn't get along on set at the beginning.their on screen chemistry was on fire.

You all know Pierce didn't like Teri because came late on set and called her unprofessional, latter when he( Pierce) knew she was pregnant he apologized and things went much better between them.
    Anyway now i wonder if their love scene was shoot before or after the apology.

Ludovico wrote: »
    Watch 'Live Wire' (1992) or 'Death Train' (1993) - if you can stomach either.. Then watch any of the Bonds from 1995 - 2012.

In all instances the leading man is Brosnan, and each of these performances just seem to be exactly the same character. Seriously.
    I don't see how this can even be contested - the man just has no real substance to his acting. He's a nice enough fellow and I'm sure lots of people love his generic, benign pastiche of James Bond. But he ain't 007.

I hated Live Wire. I love Death Train, but not because of Brosnan. But there's lot to love about the movie: set on a train, European scenery, Patrick Stewart, Christopher Lee, did I say it is set on a train?

Those films were terrible.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    tigers99 wrote: »

You are too kind. They were abysmal :P

You are too kind. They were abysmal :P

Night Watch was also terrible, but I really liked it when I saw it as a kid, and at the time Alexandra Paul with her short hair reminded me of Carey Lowell in Licence to Kill.
    Prior to Bond I get the feeling Brosnan was on the same kind of acting level as the likes of Christian Slater and Billy Zane.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Prior to Bond I get the feeling Brosnan was on the same kind of acting level as the likes of Christian Slater and Billy Zane.

More like Christopher Lambert & Treat Williams B-)

Except they were once quite big stars.

Brosnan's career has taken the opposite trajectory.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yeah, nobody knows who that Brosnan guy is anymore. Didn't he take up a singing career after DAD?

Yeah, nobody knows who that Brosnan guy is anymore. Didn't he take up a singing career after DAD?

He was quite good in The Ghost (The Ghost Writer - US title).

He was quite good in The Ghost (The Ghost Writer - US title).

He was super in everything.

Butterfly on a Wheel, The Matador, The Ghost, Seraphim Falls, The Greatest, A Long Way Down, The November Man...

He has a stellar resumé under his belt and he doesn't look to be slowing down any time soon.

His production company bought the rights to one of my favourite thriller novels of the last 10 years and I hope Brosnan is the one to bring it to life.
    I thought he was pretty bad in Butterfly on a Wheel (as was Gerald Butler).

He was ok in The Greatest, November Man, Seraphin Falls and A long Way Down (despite the film itself being fairly crap).

The only thing A Long Way Down is notable for is featuring 3 people associated with Bond: Brosnan, Rosamund Pike and Sam Neil.
    I thought he was great in all of them.

The Greatest and Seraphim Falls being standouts.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For the record:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/398/if-brosnan-had-taken-the-role-in-1986-as-planned-would-his-era-have-been-similar-to-dalton-s#latest

Yes, duplicate threads.
    Why?
    Because people are too lazy to look into existing threads.
    This forum has been running since 2011. What makes people think obvious topics like these were never discussed before?
    *sigh*
    Surely one of the problems is that it's quite difficult to search for old threads.

Is there a way to merge threads, rather than closing them?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,547
    Surely one of the problems is that it's quite difficult to search for old threads.

I typed "mi6community + Brosnan 1986" in google and got it immediately, @Getafix. Part of the reason why searching through old threads is difficult is because there are so many of them. Part of the reason why there are so many of them is that people continue to open duplicate threads or microtopic threads.
    Is there a way to merge threads, rather than closing them?

It can be done provided we have a lot of time, patience and don't mind the fact that posts will be merged without continuity within discussions.
    Do duplicate threads make the forums crash or something? It's like Armageddon around here if it happens.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,341
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Do duplicate threads make the forums crash or something? It's like Armageddon around here if it happens.

Lets not get our boxers in a bunch. sometimes they can't be avoided. Lo siento mucho! don't go Game of Thrones or Jack Bauer on anyone.