What if Pierce Brosnan played Bond from 1986 until 2012

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Cowley wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    If Brosnan played Bond from 1986 until 2012 the Bond movies would have become straight to bargain bin dvd releases.

I remember having a nightmare soon after seeing GE where Bond films had become a 'made for TV' franchise. That was how badly GE effected me.

Those 7 years must have been hellacious for you.

After watching GE I basically thought there'd never be another decent Bond movie. I felt EON had lost the plot for a long long time after that.

And of course that all followed on from the hellish 6 year hiatus after LTK, when you wondered if there'd ever be another Bond film at all.

It was a great moment for me when they sacked Brosnan. I realised EON must have shared at least some of my reservations about Brosnan and as soon as they cast Craig I knew the films were heading back into the type of territory that I enjoy more.

You and me both. Couldn t have said it better myself. Those four films were worthless.

I heartily agree with the pair of you!

If it wasn't bad enough dealing with what appeared to the end of the franchise in 1989 the only way we got it back was via 'Hollywood Bond'. Never much cared for Brosnan anyway and the GE PTS hadn't even finished before I realised dark days were ahead of us.

From being a paid up fan club fan member my membership waned as people who expressed relief he wasn't Bond in TLD were now proclaiming him the saviour. After DAD I slipped away from online forums too. Discussion of a fifth Brosnan film just didn't interest me. I stayed away for so long the next thing I knew Daniel Craig was being announced.

From the 'this was Brosnan's gig if not for Remington Steel' furore in 1986 through to the CraignotBond stuff of 2006 it seems Brosnan has blighted the Bond series in one form or another for an overall undeserved twenty years so thank goodness we didn't have him for a further six.

Amen. Indeed. You said it. Hurra!

Now we call upon the defence, @JasonBond006. And the other ten.

The only thing I say about this is that DAD and GE sold more tickets than CR or QOS.

You are in a very small minority with your opinion on Brosnan.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    How could one possibly utilize one actor through 26 years and potentially 8 or 9 movies (even with the 6 year break)? I think Broz looked fine in DAD, but by 2006 he was done. The creative drive would've just been gone at that point and we would have missed out on the kick to the balls that CR was.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I'm going to be honest: I adored Brosnan's Bond growing up and still enjoy him (much like older generations did with Moore). Whenever I see him I instinctively think Bond.

BUT I'm not stupid enough to think nearly two decades of him could have realistically worked.

He was starting to look kind of over-the-hill in DAD and between 1986 and 1995 his back catalogue included the infamous Taffin, Live Wire and Death Train - all crappy "straight to video" fare.

So no.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,984
    It wouldn't work. This is coming from somebody who admired Brosnan as their childhood Bond, but he just didn't bring enough flair and direction into the role to have lasted even one decade, let alone almost two. The fact that his movies were getting repetitive, along with the fact that other elements like the writing, the supporting cast, the music, etc. weren't capable of carrying him meant that, in a time where Bond needed to change, it's highly likely that Pierce would've killed the franchise. This was starting to get obvious by DAD, but the cracks had already appeared since TWINE.
    It wouldn't work. This is coming from somebody who admired Brosnan as their childhood Bond, but he just didn't bring enough flair and direction into the role to have lasted even one decade, let alone almost two. The fact that his movies were getting repetitive, along with the fact that other elements like the writing, the supporting cast, the music, etc. weren't capable of carrying him meant that, in a time where Bond needed to change, it's highly likely that Pierce would've killed the franchise. This was starting to get obvious by DAD, but the cracks had already appeared since TWINE.

What cracks?
    DAD made more money inflation adjusted than CR or QOS and also sold more tickets.

What cracks?
    DAD made more money inflation adjusted than CR or QOS and also sold more tickets.

Bad acting and bad dialogue.

Although in fairness these tropes have occurred throughout the history of the Bond films.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

What cracks?

Bad acting and bad dialogue.

Although in fairness these tropes have occurred throughout the history of the Bond films.

Fair enough.

Neither DAF TMWTGG AVTAK LTK have killed off the franchise, nor would DAD or a fifth Brosnan movie have :)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I too doubt a fifth would have killed off the series. I'm pretty sure they would have toned down the sci-fi crap a fair bit.
    I too doubt a fifth would have killed off the series. I'm pretty sure they would have toned down the sci-fi crap a fair bit.

Probably FYEO style, there seem to be recurring patterns in the franchise.

Probably more in that vein, certainly after the Bourne films at least. But I wouldn't change the CR we got for the world. Great film.

Probably more in that vein, certainly after the Bourne films at least. But I wouldn't change the CR we got for the world. Great film.

Absolutely, I'm very pleased with the way it all went :-bd
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    How about having an actual actor playing James Bond in ohmss? The mannequin they brought over from Australia may have had a million dollar arm, but they eventually found out about his five cent head

Disagree. It is not entirely coincidence that OHMSS is one of the great Bonf films and happens to star George Lazenby. Somehow Hunt got a very solid performance out of Laz. I would have loved to see him do DAF as a proper revenge movie with Hunt directing. It would have been awesome.

Agreed.
    Blah! Remington Steele was too generic, his films are arguably the weakest in the franchise. I was watching "Die Another Day" and was happy that he didn't make any more after that.

Seconded.
    Why is this discussion still going on?............the question has been answered, and was actually pointless in the first place.
    If Pierce Brosnan played Bond from 1986 until 2012 it would have been a bad thing. End. Ha ha!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    A ridiculous notion, thankfully never realized.
    Bond would now be direct to t.v. movies.
    Someone please close this ridiculous thread! X(

By the powers INvested IN ME by this parish, I hereby declare this thread... :))
    By the powers INvested IN ME by this parish, I hereby declare this thread... :))

Thanks J.W.Pepper :))
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Omg! This discussion is comedy gold! =))

I love Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, as I do all of the actors. :)
    Insane. Brosnan would have had seventeen years as 007, NO FRIGGIN WAY. In 2012 he was 59 years old.Trying to top Sir Roger's record of 12 years and age 57...
    could not imagine a 59 year old running sniffing behind Agent Fields, Carmen, Vesper, etc.
    I hated the Brosnan era of just four films and 1995-2002 I could not have had another 10 years of his tired ass portrayal.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I would've liked one more attempt for Brosnan in a more FYEO type film as someone mentioned earlier... but had that happened we would most not have had CR and CR changed everything Bond for me. For the better.

Yes I was a Brosnan fan.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I would've liked one more attempt for Brosnan in a more FYEO type film as someone mentioned earlier... but had that happened we would most not have had CR and CR changed everything Bond for me. For the better.

Yes I was a Brosnan fan.

That explains your hate for the Daltonator.

I am always half impressed half dumbfounded how afterTWINE and DAD hardcore Brosnan fans can still say they'd have liked to see him do another.

It's like asking for a third term of George W Bush.

As someone much cleverer than me once said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result. The Brosnan era is working proof.

What cracks?

Cracks in the quality of the films, of course. And their critical reception. I believe DAD was strongly aided by the 40th anniversary celebrations, but even if Brosnan didn't kill off the franchise altogether, he would've eliminated many Bond fans if he kept making Bond films the way he did.

What cracks?

Cracks in the quality of the films, of course. And their critical reception. I believe DAD was strongly aided by the 40th anniversary celebrations, but even if Brosnan didn't kill off the franchise altogether, he would've eliminated many Bond fans if he kept making Bond films the way he did.

Nobody would have wanted another DAD and even if EON had decided to go on with Brosnan, the fifth one would have been different.

And Brosnan, by the way, didn't "make" any Bond films, that was EON (BB + MGW), he just happened to act as Bond in it.

Critical reception wasn't that bad either back then. Nowadays it's another story.
    1. Hopefully, because we sorely needed a different type of film.

2. I realize that. I'm obviously referring to "make" as in "starring in one", incorrect terminology as it may be.

3. Still worse than Craig's. I'm curious to see if people's opinions of Craig will decline after the next Bond starts making films. With the exception of Connery, all the big Bonds were highly popular in their time and compared to Connery (Moore, Brosnan and now Craig), but have been viewed less favorably after leaving the role. The lesser known ones (Lazenby and Dalton) weren't nearly as successful in their time but upon reflection many years later, they've gained popularity and critical acclaim. I think objectively, Craig had a greater impact on the role, but when the next campy (ish) Bond arrives, Moore and Brosnan will be viewed more favorably while opinions of Craig and Dalton may go down.

2. I realize that. I'm obviously referring to "make" as in "starring in one", incorrect terminology as it may be.

3. Still worse than Craig's. I'm curious to see if people's opinions of Craig will decline after the next Bond starts making films. With the exception of Connery, all the big Bonds were highly popular in their time and compared to Connery (Moore, Brosnan and now Craig), but have been viewed less favorably after leaving the role. The lesser known ones (Lazenby and Dalton) weren't nearly as successful in their time but upon reflection many years later, they've gained popularity and critical acclaim. I think objectively, Craig had a greater impact on the role, but when the next campy (ish) Bond arrives, Moore and Brosnan will be viewed more favorably while opinions of Craig and Dalton may go down.

You have a point, I'm saying this since a long time by the way. Many here won't believe it.
    Brosnan is the former one, he gets the most comparisons with the current one and the avid Craig fans are somewhat aggressive, which is also a sign of our times with social media.
    Once another decade has passed, the Brosnan era will be another "classic" era like Moore's and viewed upon positively on the whole.

You have a point, I'm saying this since a long time by the way. Many here won't believe it.
    Brosnan is the former one, he gets the most comparisons with the current one and the avid Craig fans are somewhat aggressive, which is also a sign of our times with social media.
    Once another decade has passed, the Brosnan era will be another "classic" era like Moore's and viewed upon positively on the whole.

I'm afraid I think the opposite will happen. Brosnan was popular because he was the Bond of the moment, not because his films were any good, or because his portrayal was very interesting.

As time goes past, the failings of the Brosnan era just become more and more apparent, not less so.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883

I'm afraid I think the opposite will happen. Brosnan was popular because he was the Bond of the moment, not because his films were any good, or because his portrayal was very interesting.

As time goes past, the failings of the Brosnan era just become more and more apparent, not less so.
    Yes, I agree. I think this is wishful thinking on the part of his fans. I don't think the word 'classic' and Brosnan as Bond are going to come together at all or ever. There are limited redeeming qualities in his films. He was indeed the man of the moment, and he did what was asked of him. That's it. His reputation benefits more from his work outside Bond.