The SPECTRE vs Skyfall battle! (simple question)

Comments

But you are forgetting that for many fans TB is the low point of the Connery era. I personally would rather watch DAF any day.

Who cares how "many fans" feel? I don't. I don't believe in allowing popular opinion to influence my tastes in entertainment.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Peak? No bs?
    But I'm perfectly happy with the Craig era, 3 out of his 4 movies in my top ten. So I really want to see him back for at least one more!
    And am still rooting for Paul Haggis to write, and Alfonso Cuaron to Direct!
    Oops, OHMSS!!!
    !969 the highest peak!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After the first three, the next peaks came in 69, 81 and o6. Skyfall and Spectre are twin peaks for me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Peaks?

Troughs?

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Absolutely. Moonraker and You Only Live Twice have the benefit of a great Barry Score, superb cinematography and exemplary Adams sets, but fall apart elsewhere.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    After the first three, the next peaks came in 69, 81 and o6. Skyfall and Spectre are twin peaks for me.

Twin peaks 'eh?

Peaks for me -

'62
    '63
    '69
    '77
    '87
    '06

As to the original question. Not a clue. They are too close to call. Very different, yet let down by some questionable writing. In my top half rankings wise.

Birdleson wrote: »
    This time it seemed as out of place as that wonky bar scene in LICENCE TO KILL.

"No fun. Playing with you is no fun!"- Short Round
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Peaks
    No more peaks after this. The series rather simply leveled off, which is OK

Re opening post
    1. SP
    2..SF
    Spectre 1, Skyfall 2, but ask me again tomorrow and I will probably have a different answer.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Interestingly, but as DAF (1971) is now considered a weaker entry in the Bond franchise, the film at the time did elevate the Bond films back into the forefront of the film going public.
    Particularly in N.America.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Another vote for SPECTRE
    Another vote for SPECTRE
    I see you enjoy adventure over angst sir!

<:-P
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Another vote for SPECTRE
    I see you enjoy adventure over angst sir!

<:-P

Indeed although CR remains my favorite Craig Bond film.
    CR remains my favorite Craig Bond film.
    Many understandable reasons why that is the case.
    :)>-
    Has a tally been kept?

There's one at the first post, but it isn't entirely updated

• Which battle are we talking about?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Which battle are we talking about?

SPECTRE vs Skyfall, the films in general

Which battle are we talking about?

SPECTRE vs Skyfall, the films in general
    SPECTRE wins. There can be no intelligent debate here.
    :-B
    Has a tally been kept?

There's one at the first post, but it isn't entirely updated
    It is now! ;-)
  • Guntram_ShatterhandGuntram_Shatterhand The Shadows
    Skyfall, definitely Skyfall
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Tied for me. Both films are in my top 3. :-O
    Spectre was a better Bond movie, Skyfall was the better movie.
    I'll take Spectre.

That opinion could change over time, but I walked out of Spectre feeling much better about it than I did when I walked out of the theater after Skyfall.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,756
    At least Skyfall was consistent and got better as the movie kept going on. The plot is a bit far fetched, but you can suspend reality for it. I remember being in awe by the time Bond got to the Skyfall lodge. Skyfall sets out what it was meant to do: being personal, melancholic, depressing but also with undertones of resurrection that really gives Skyfall it's punch.

Spectre on the other hand doesn't accomplish what it sets out to do, other than being a "good" Bond film until Bond met Swann. It feels awkward how they made the Bond & Swann relationship something it wasn't. Spectre feels forced and didn't leave me in awe. Too much deus ex machina.

The movie acted like it was a powerful, stunning film without bothering to have a decent script, and felt vacuous as a result

Skyfall wins hands down.
    Its definitely Spectre. There was much to admire in Skyfall, but too much angst. And it really wasn't that exciting. At least there were thrills in Spectre, and it felt more like Fleming. A review in SFX magazine singles out the scene where the Rolls Royce drives out of the desert to pick up Bond and Madeleine as it "has an authentic Fleming weirdness". I have less problems with SP last section than my first viewings, but I find it more tolerable than that Home Alone/Straw Dogs ending of SF which still feels like a big let down!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @dominicgreene, I'm interested: What do you view as the deus ex machina moments of SP?
    I think he's referring to the watch...
  • @dominicgreene- well said, I agree completely.

I think the main deus ex machina offenders were the scene in Blofeld's lair and the ending. Those were the two most important scenes in the movie, and it just seems like Bond keeps stumbling around getting lucky without actually DOING anything really clever. We don't get a chance to see the innovative Bond we know and love, because every solution is perfectly gift wrapped for him.

(Not trying to bash the movie, just my opinion. :) )