• Saw some great titles, so here are a few more:
    Five Fingers (1952)
    Topaz (1969)
    The Man who Knew too Much (1956)
    Passage to Suez (1943)
    Our Man in Havana (1960)
    Malaya (1949)
    The Black Watch (1929)

Topaz has a few classic scenes, but the characters are very dull.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @vzok, have you seen the OSS 117 films with Topaz actor Frederick Stafford?

No I haven't. I hadn't even heard of that series until recently. Is it good?

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    vzok wrote: »

No I haven't. I hadn't even heard of that series until recently. Is it good?
    If you love sixties Bond imitators, you'll love these, too! He starred in two films and one of them is written by Terence Young, which later inspired both You Only Live Twice and The Spy Who Loved Me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Has anyone here ever seen either Tony Rome or Lady in Cement? They're detective films featuring Sinatra as Tony Rome, directed by Gordon Douglas who also directed him in The Detective (1968) as Joe Leland.

I ask because I've never seen either before, but saw a good deal on them online and wanted to know what people thought. I really like what I saw of Douglas' style in The Detective and would be interested in seeing the product of his other two films with Frank. I just don't like making blind buys for things I've never seen something of.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The most recent film our group of cinephiles watched for the community film club was the Frank Sinatra starring neo-noir The Detective. @Torgeirtrap expressed interest in what the movie would've looked like if it was in black and white and originally released around the same era that inspired it, which got me curious too. Because I enjoy the film and because I chose it for the film club, I naturally took it upon myself to put together a series of shots from the movie that I feel really give off a special something when desaturated, and you can view the full collection of images here:

https://imgur.com/a/TuvC9
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    An improvement.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,279
    Really, really great, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! It never stops surprising me how much more your eyes tend to look at the composition, placement of shots and objects, when watching stills in black and white. No different here than with the Bond b/w stills!

Good collection of shots too: The second shot, any of the shots between Sinatra and Remick, the close-up on Bisset's eyes, and the closing shot with Sinatra in the car to name a few. An improvement? Perhaps, but I like the colourful look of late 60's movies – no matter what genre.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Has anyone here ever seen either Tony Rome or Lady in Cement? They're detective films featuring Sinatra as Tony Rome, directed by Gordon Douglas who also directed him in The Detective (1968) as Joe Leland.

I ask because I've never seen either before, but saw a good deal on them online and wanted to know what people thought. I really like what I saw of Douglas' style in The Detective and would be interested in seeing the product of his other two films with Frank. I just don't like making blind buys for things I've never seen something of.

They are lighthearted 60's detective films, so don't expect them to be like The Detective*. I didn't really care much for Tony Rome, but the sequel, Lady In Cement was much better. Gotta love that super cool Hugo Montenegro score as well.

It's so 60's it hurts.

* I say this every time I bring up The Detective, but I strongly recommend The First Deadly Sin (1980). It might not offer much in the way of examination, unlike The Detective, but but the character Sinatra plays in it, is an older Joe Leland in all but name.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Really, really great, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! It never stops surprising me how much more your eyes tend to look at the composition, placement of shots and objects, when watching stills in black and white. No different here than with the Bond b/w stills!

Good collection of shots too: The second shot, any of the shots between Sinatra and Remick, the close-up on Bisset's eyes, and the closing shot with Sinatra in the car to name a few. An improvement? Perhaps, but I like the colourful look of late 60's movies – no matter what genre.

@Torgeirtrap, many thanks. It was a blast to do, though I really scoured the movie for a long while collecting them.

I agree that, when there isn't a range of color to distract the eye, we are more able to hone in on the composition of the image and instead become attracted to the mix of light and shadow presented, which is really all there is to focus on in the absence of spotting "color." I think the monochrome works well with the content of the film, very haunting and cynical, but also weary.

The way the lighting in used in the film shows that Gordon Douglas and his DP were tuned into how to shoot movies in that noir style, and just the way the lighting and shadow falls at times can really add so much meaning to the image that wouldn't be there otherwise. Take the shot of Karen comforting Joe on the bed: in some shots Frank's face was fully visible in the light, making it a very simple shot, but in the one I chose his face was aimed downward with the shadow hiding most of his face, giving him a weary sort of feeling. In a few seconds, the whole mood of the shot was changed and that's fascinating to me.

I'll be watching the other Douglas noirs with Frank soon, and might repeat this whole process with some of the shots in those films.

They are lighthearted 60's detective films, so don't expect them to be like The Detective*. I didn't really care much for Tony Rome, but the sequel, Lady In Cement was much better. Gotta love that super cool Hugo Montenegro score as well.

It's so 60's it hurts.

* I say this every time I bring up The Detective, but I strongly recommend The First Deadly Sin (1980). It might not offer much in the way of examination, unlike The Detective, but but the character Sinatra plays in it, is an older Joe Leland in all but name.

@MajorDSmythe, the Rome films are ones I'll be watching in the coming weeks right off the back of my recent viewings of Douglas' The Detective, so they're on the schedule. I'm fascinated to see how those two films contrast with his first collaboration with Frank. From what I've read it seems to be a situation like where Bogart played Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe with just a few years apart, and, as with Bogart, Sinatra's Leland seems to be more of a do-gooder type like Marlowe whereas Rome seems to be a more roguish fellow in line with Spade.

As for The First Deadly Sin, that's been on my list since you first mentioned it and it'll be the one I see after these 60s detective films with Frank. Because Tony Rome is an ex-cop gone private I'm tempted to treat him like Joe Leland coming back to crime-fighting from the outside, just as I'll treat the character in Deadly Sin just the same. I'll probably post my non-spoiler thoughts in this thread when I see any of them.
    Watching both Tony Rome and Lady In Cement for the first time last week, I can recommend both. Actually, I preferred the first of the two, but they are both solid films.
    I'll be watching the other Douglas noirs with Frank soon, and might repeat this whole process with some of the shots in those films.
    Both the abovementioned films have some nice cinematography, so they will no doubt look good in a black and white treatment. Might look a bit different to The Detective, as the setting changes from NYC to sunny Miami.
    @Torgeirtrap, I look forward to the films. I never knew about Douglas before The Detective but his style is interesting and he clearly knew how to get some great stuff out of Sinatra.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've been going back and rewatching many Val Lewton films (TCM featured him this month). My favorites are the one's that he made with Jacques Tourneur, but the ones directed by Mark Robson are also wonderful. There was no one quite like him in his time. Recommended: CAT PEOPLE, CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, BEDLAM, THE GHOST SHIP, THE BODY SNATCHER, ISLE OF THE DEAD, THE 7TH VICTUM. All made in the '40s, I believe.

Val Lewton is fantastic. Cat People is an obvious great but I really like The 7th Victim. What he can do with just light and shadow is marvellous. That's an unsettling film. The torturously long, patient shot down the hallway is masterful. I do a monthly film podcast and my co-host is a big Val Lewton fan.

We also recently did an episode on Ida Lupino - she had a great noir (the first by a female Hollywood director) 'The Hitch-Hiker'.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    What's the name of your podcast? I used to make guest appearances on several of them.

We're called ***Spoiler Alert*** - you can search for it on I-tunes (although there are many podcasts named this - when we started six years ago there were far less!)

The episode 49 (link below) we reviewed 'Spectre' (I haven't listened to this in ages so curious to hear what I thought about it...I imagine far more forgiving then now!)

http://sunsetstudios.co.nz/spoiler-alert-podcast-episode-49/

Here's the latest episode where we look at Ida Lupino (and The Hitch-hiker)
    http://sunsetstudios.co.nz/spoiler-alert-podcast-episode-66-part-2/

And this is the Seventh Victim discussion
    http://sunsetstudios.co.nz/movie-challenge/

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

@Torgeirtrap, I look forward to the films. I never knew about Douglas before The Detective but his style is interesting and he clearly knew how to get some great stuff out of Sinatra.

Yeah, it looks to have been a good director/actor combination. Watched both the Tony Rome-films only a day apart. Would recommend doing the same thing – or even better, as a double-feature. They follow the same template in just about everything, making it an interesting viewing.

I also liked Sinatra a lot in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM. And BLADE RUNNER 2049.
    I also liked Sinatra a lot in THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM. And BLADE RUNNER 2049.
    Blade Runner 2049??
    Yes, a cameo appearance.

Not only that, the film has Bruce Willis's first film appearance (as an extra). Willis went onto play John McClane in DIE HARD, which is based on Roderick Thorp's sequel to The Detective!

Here are the two Joe Lelands passing each other:

Yes, a cameo appearance.

Did not know that! Will keep an eye out for the cameo when I get the chance to see the film. :-)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited October 2017 Posts: 6,724
    Charade is one of my favorite movies. It's funny and romantic, but also legitimately suspenseful at times in how it makes one doubt of Cary Grant's character. For me, in certain moments, there's this feeling the movie could turn dark at the snap of a finger. The script is virtually flawless. Terrific score by Henry Mancini. And there's a great fight scene in a rooftop that's scored in an unflashy, but brilliantly effective way.
    Wages of Fear (subtitled French / Italian film from 1953) is one of my favourites. The second act of the film driving nitro-glycerine over the mountain pass is one of the most suspenseful parts of a film ever shot!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,721
    TFC1 wrote: »
    Wages of Fear (subtitled French / Italian film from 1953) is one of my favourites. The second act of the film driving nitro-glycerine over the mountain pass is one of the most suspenseful parts of a film ever shot!

One of my favourites too! Magnificent film.
    The sequence where the first truck crosses the gravel plain slowly to not upset the nitro-glycerine while the second truck following and unable to communicate - decides to go fast to glide across it is brilliant.