How will the passing away of a Bond actor affect you?

BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
in Actors Posts: 9,020
Roger Moore is 88 years old, Sean Connery 85 and George Lazenby 76 and even Timothy Dalton is 71 years old.
Pierce Brosnan is 62 years old and Daniel Craig only 47.

Being a Trekkie I can tell you a thing or two about how it is when one of your icons is passing away.
Spock, Scotty and Bones are all gone.

Watching my favourite movies and some of them are rather old, from the 60's, 70's or 80's it is somehow comforting to know that the actors/actresses in it are still alive.
I have a hard time sometimes watching a movie once the main actor has died. It also depends of how young/old the actor was of course.

With Leonard Nimoy's death it is not the same anymore to watch the old Star Trek movies. I've recently re-watched some of them and especially the death scene of Spock in The Wrath Of Khan made me really sad.

I wonder how it will affect people once one of the Bond actors passes away.

I can't imagine Sean Connery ever dying, or Roger Moore, or even Timothy Dalton.
But it has to happen at some point.

When watching Dr. No earlier this year, it was comforting to know that both Bond Girls (Ursula and Eunice) are still alive.
In fact I think every major Bond Girl still lives, which is amazing.

How will it be for you when the time has come to say goodbye to one of the great 6?

I will certainly have difficulties and be very sad. The viewing experience will not be the same anymore at least not for some years.

Am I too sensitive in that matter? Or do you feel the same way or different?

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know I'd feel deeply saddened, having grown to love them as as actors. If they die, a part of you Dies as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We'll know when it happens.

All I can say is that Barry's death was a painful experience for me. So I guess if the likes of Sean or Sir Rog should go, I'd have a couple of bad days too.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I don't want to think about it....
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Funnily enough I've thought about this issue in the aftermath of Christopher Lee's passing.

In 2000 I met Leslie Nielsen after being a fan of his growing up and watching Airplane / Naked Gun.

Obviously I was saddened in 2010 when I heard he'd died but, despite my relatively short meeting with him, I didn't know the man personally.

I think the same will apply for me in relation to Bond. It's obviously going to be a significant moment when the first of the actors passes away. I'll almost certainly rewatch their films in tribute and share my fond memories. But the men themselves didn't know me. I'll be sad but not in the same way I would if I lost a family member.

Forgive the pun but there is no personal Bond other than the image created onscreen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sad and heartbroken, obviously? I don't see there being any other answer to the question, really. It's also not something I particularly want to think about until it happens. Let's enjoy every day they're alive instead of dwelling on what we'll do when they unfortunately pass.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    We'll know when it happens.
    All I can say is that Barry's death was a painful experience for me. So I guess if the likes of Sean or Sir Rog should go, I'd have a couple of bad days too.
    Yep.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I'm sure we'll all be saddened when that day comes.

Meanwhile, let's celebrate the fact that all the Bonds and main Bond girls are still with us.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Let me rectify by saying Sir Rog, like all the other Bond's age, is 88 years young. :)
  • RC7RC7
    When Rog goes I'll be genuinely devastated.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What a morbid thread.
  • RC7RC7
    What a morbid thread.

Ha ha.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    You know Bond has been going a long time when the only leading actor under the age of 60 is the one we have now.
    I think it will be like losing a family member. I was devastated when Richard Kiel died as I met him a number of times.
    Roger Moore is 88 years old, Sean Connery 85 and George Lazenby 76 and even Timothy Dalton is 71 years old.

Just to be correct:

Roger Moore (*14.10.1927) - 87 years old
    Sean Connery (*25.08.1930) - 84 years old
    George Lazenby (*05.09.1939) - 75 years old
    Timothy Dalton (*21.03.1946) - 69 years old
    Pierce Brosnan (*16.05.1953) - 62 years old
    Daniel Craig (*02.03.1968) - 47 years old

And I wish they all have many happy years ahead of them.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Was Dalton born in '44 or '46?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Was Dalton born in '44 or '46?

'46

The '44 date came out of the blue some day not long ago.
    It was '46 at the beginning of his career, and even when he became the new Bond it was '46.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think it will be like losing a family member.

This.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Just to be correct:

after October 10th 2015 they will be all correct...lol

as for Dalton I had to choose one of the two dates that are "official" and 1944 is more believable in my opinion.
  • RC7RC7
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Just to be correct:

after October 10th 2015 they will be all correct...lol

as for Dalton I had to choose one of the two dates that are "official" and 1944 is more believable in my opinion.

You really have to stop saying 'lol'. We're Bond fans. We have standards.
    RC7 wrote: »

You really have to stop saying 'lol'. We're Bond fans. We have standards.

:))

What makes it more believable?

The New York Times in 1987 wrote about a 25-year-old Dalton in 1971, assuming that he was born 1946:

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/07/26/movies/007-a-new-bond-meets-the-new-woman-timothy-dalton-finds-a-hamlet-in-the-hero.html

The 1944-date just emerged a couple of years ago out of the blue. It was always 1946.
  • MisterDanDMisterDanD London
    when you see a face on the screen that has been a big part of your life through entertainment and then they are no longer there, you will feel the loss. I felt it with Robin Williams of late, met him at the comedy club in London 20 years ago, and have been a huge fan. It was a very sad way to go, I also felt the same with the death of Aryton Senna, my sporting hero and I am a big motor racing fan.

When it comes to Connery and Moore I think it will be sad, but also they have lived a great life, got to a great age to celebrate and it will be more of happy memories and what they gave the world. It won't be as tragic as it one of the younger bonds were to suddenly have an accident, like Paul Walker who I really enjoyed in many of his films, such a tragic loss of life.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It wont be like loosing a family member, I think that is going a bit too far. But it will certainly be a sad day when I read/hear the line 'The James Bond actor _______ has passed away.'
    I think when Sean passes I'll play this. Try and keep the mood reasonably cheerful:

Hasn't happened yet so who knows. Not an actor has come by, who's died old and in a natural way has saddened me. People who die prematurely like Robin Williams or Harold Ramis, are in my thoughts when I watch one of their films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's going to occur, and in the very near future. Then this thread is going to seem trite and pathetic. Why not just put this one to bed and let things happen as they happen.

Exactly. We'll cross that bridge when we have to. The passing of any actor (though very sad of course) rarely means the ending of the world - their beacon and memory shines on.
    [
    It's going to occur, and in the very near future. Then this thread is going to seem trite and pathetic. Why not just put this one to bed and let things happen as they happen.

Then feel free NOT to respond to such a trite and pathetic thread.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    [

Then feel free NOT to respond to such a trite and pathetic thread.

I believe that this community is still run on democratic principles and therefore free speech (where it does not violate community rules) should be given protected status. That goes for your free speech in starting this thread and in @Birdleson's free speech in responding to it.
    I don't want to think about it....

that's what I thought. I have to say I do think about it from time to time.