Should James Bond Go Supernatural?

Did you know the original 007 was a fellow named John Dees who was a spy, and advisor to Queen Elizabeth I, and he was heavily into the occult? Yet none of the story lines for James Bond adventures investigate the occult. Is this a missed opportunity? What do you feel about James Bond having to fight an evil demon, or perhaps Lucifer/Satan himself? Maybe we can pit him against the Antichrist?

Currently working on a screenplay called "Nikki Cold." It's about beautiful black ops assassin, who is targeted for killing the brother of an elusive, Satanic worshipping multibillionaire who has placed a price on her head so high no killer can refuse, including the world's deadliest assassin.

If Bond won't face the ultimate evil, my heroine will.

Let me know what you think, and thanks!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm not very keen on the idea to be frank. I mean... a supernatural Bond? I don't see it work. Even when James Bond fights these evil organisations, they are still dealing with real-life threats and whatnot. Sure, some have been pretty science fiction-ish (TSWLM and MR come to mind). But occult, supernatural affairs are still way more 'off' than science fiction posing as science fact.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Whoever says yes to this idea must be thrown in the dungeon. If we don't have a dungeon, they must be forced to build one, then be tossed into it.

The supernatural idea has been tossed around on occasion (I'm lookin' at you Baron Samedi) and it really should go the way of the dodo. Bond was, first and foremost, a realistic creation, and it damn well needs to stay that way.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    LALD is about as far into the realms of the Supernatural as I wan't Bond to go.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Uh, no.
    Agree that LALD has already done that and should not be returned too thank you very much.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In no way, shape, or form do I ever want Bond delving into the supernatural. Like @MajorDSmythe said, LALD is as far as I want that to go. Never again, please.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A great idea. I can imagine the following:

Opening sequence: Bond visiting Tracy's grave at dusk. A bit later when he is about to leave, he realises getting followed by some shadowy figure. Suddenly he is attacked from behind by, what seems to be a vampire. He tries to fight him off but has great difficulty.
    Out of the blue a stake is driven through the vampires heart. Bond, baffled, looks around and recognises the Scooby Gang coming towards him. Buffy says: The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live.
    Another vampire appears out of nowhere attacking Buffy. Bond, quickly picks up the stake and is putting it into through the vampire's heart.
    Bond to Buffy: I’m the thing that monsters have nightmares about. And right now, you and me are gonna show ‘em why..
    Looking straight into the camera. Gun-barrel appearing with eery music.
    Title sequence begins, main Bond theme.
    To be continued...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    LALD is one of my absolute favourites, and the voodoo (and blaxpoitation) theme is what defined that film; made it a unique entry into the canon. This is one of the reasons I'd prefer the supernatural themes to be left out, or kept to a bare minimum. However, didn't Fleming toy around with supernatural and fantasy in a mostly realistic setting? I guess if EON are going back to the books, we could see anything. Either way, I am getting a similar LALD voodoo vibe from SP, so that should be a sufficient replacement.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree with both previous posts. As long as it doesn t go all X-Files on us, there is nothing wrong with touching upon "supernatural phenomena" in a smart way.