TMWTGG is a proper Bond film?

Comments

I've always had a soft spot for TMWTGG. It's unique for me for an unusual reason: It's the only Bond film I've never seen on a big screen. First time I saw it was on its ABC TV premiere in 1977.

It's one of those Bonds we were told was bad by various writers and critics, too silly, underperformed at the box office, etc.

But its low-key, smaller scale style works for me and the villains are fun to watch. I also like Moore's approach, it's more Connery-like, less nonsense. I think he's really underrated here.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,979
    Sorry, but this entry has always bored me to tears. It's like everyone's on auto pilot, including the overpraised Lee.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,294
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I have few issues with TMWTGG personally. In fact, I think it's a gem of a film, and that it's very underrated. It also includes one of my favourite scenes of the entire franchise:

Without a doubt. Great scene, with one of the best one-liners!
    I have become to appreciate it a lot more over the years! And Scaramanga is indeed a classic villain!
    It lacks one decent action set piece though, and the final duel could hav e been more visual interesting!

Agree re. the final duel. Although the way it ends is interesting, Scaramanga's fun house lacks something, IMO. The island location in itself though, is iconic.
    When I last watched it I was pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of good stuff in Gun. And much more watchable than LALD.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I prefer it to LALD for various reasons: the locations, the sets, the score, the characters and Rog himself looks more confident too.

I would even argue it features Rog's best performance in his entire Bond career.
    No, I much prefer LALD! Nostalgia maybe, as I had such a memorable first viewing of it! It has better set pieces and action, and a terrific set of villains, plus better theme song! TMWTGG has a better setting and pts than it though!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think Christopher Lee did a terrific Job, Coz despite Moore's Light-hearted take on Bond, Lee still had his Nefarious Demeanor intact. Maybe if Moore's Serious Portrayal of Bond in FYEO was transferred to this film, it would have been a very tension-filled Bond film.....Considering the film is about a Peculiar Assassin. Still, it's a Good Bond film.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 7,500
    What Gun has is Chris Lee and gorgeous, exotic locations. Apart from that I see very few redeeming features. The story should have been centered around Moore and Lee. Instead so much of the film is a boring mess of silly ideas thrown at us without any sense or story development.
    TMWTGG is such an underrated classic...it has:
    • One of the best villains
    • Roger Moore's best performance as 007
    • An eccentric henchman
    • Brilliant locations
    • It's funny!
    • and Britt Eckland in a bikini

Ah, it's for all of these reasons that I find it a frustrating movie. Great locations, Rog on form, Lee and Eklund are outstanding, etc. But there's so much silliness and camp, and at times laziness. The funhouse climax is dull and ugly to look at, Goodnight is a useless 'ditz' character, the script has Moore involved in a few slightly ugly situations, the stupid bloody return of Sheriff JW bloody Pepper, the goddamned bloody slide whistle, and so on.

Here again with the Moore-era EON dilemma of just refusing to leave anything on the cutting room floor. Take out the slide whistle, JW Pepper, the sumo gag, the NicNac weirdness . . . and you've already got a way better film.

I ought to enjoy this movie much more than I do.
    I often have a hard time deciding between LALD and TMWTGG as to which I prefer; currently, it's TMWTGG for reasons I put previously.

LALD seems like one long chase movie in cars, planes, buses, boats. But it has the atmosphere with the voodoo theme that helps make up for it and an interesting collection of villains. TMWTGG has better suspense, two interesting villains and a more assured Moore performance and more exotic setting. LALD doesn't do much as far as its locations.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    echo wrote: »
    Sorry, but this entry has always bored me to tears. It's like everyone's on auto pilot, including the overpraised Lee.

+1.

Even tho there is some cool stuff in and there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    matt_u wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

+1.

Even tho there is some cool stuff in and there.

Specifically the "humiliated tailors" line.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    TMWTGG has always been a sentimental favourite of mine. I enjoy it on many levels,
    • Chris Lee is truly a villain with some menace and sophistication. I know the producers looked at Jack Palance but he would have been miscast. Lee balances the needed characteristics and makes Scaramenga a legend.
    • Moore's Bond is a little more assured in this entry. He isn't a fool like he was for stretches of LALD. The dinner scene with him and Lee is truly a highlight of the series. It harkens back to DN in terms of a Bond/villain conversation.
    • I love Nick Nack (even though parodied in Austin Powers) He is a little guy that sometimes you are cheering for or maybe it's just me. I also like that the relationship with Scaramenga is this love/hate relationship.
    • Maud Adams is so damn sexy in this movie. Huge Crush.
    • The dialogue is sharp. Love the "so is my Aunt" line with Andrea. The lazar scene is a cracking good one too.

I wish they had given this movie a bit more time to come together. Why the rush to get it out a year after LALD I am not sure why. Was it studio pressure or was Harry's problems so acute that he needed a payday quicker? They could have polished up some of the weaker points of the film. Overall a satisfying romp!
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,294
    thedove wrote: »

Indeed she is!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Indeed she is!

I don't know how many will be willing to cross this bridge with me, but I'm going to say it: I prefer her to Britt Ekland.

As for the film, it is jam packed with good things, which makes the fact it is sometimes a little schizophrenic in tone quite forgivable. The character of Scaramanga is brilliant, as are the parallels and contrasts between him and Bond's character.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Indeed she is!

I don't know how many will be willing to cross this bridge with me, but I'm going to say it: I prefer her to Britt Ekland.

I adore them both really. I'd say TMWTGG is just behind TB in terms of female beauty.
    Don't forget the Orson Wells homage with the hall of mirrors
    If Lazenby had stayed on as Bond, this would have been his fourth Bond film....meaning he would have been very confident in this film. Lazenby didn't see it.....but he was a Bond meant to grow with each installment.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Don't forget the Orson Wells homage with the hall of mirrors

Yes! And the cinematography in the funhouse is also reminiscent of the giallo films of the era. Speaking of the funhouse, I also feel an obvious House of Wax vibe. Add the The Lady from Shanghai homage and I'd say this is one of my favourite sets in Bond history.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Indeed she is!

As for the film, it is jam packed with good things, which makes the fact it is sometimes a little schizophrenic in tone quite forgivable. The character of Scaramanga is brilliant, as are the parallels and contrasts between him and Bond's character.

Oh, I'm totally with you preferring Maud Adams to Britt Ekland, both the on-screen performance and in the looks department. She's no doubt my favourite Moore era actress, and we even got to see her with him twice!

On a side note; I wouldn't mind owning this poster! :-D
    hoseirik.jpg
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,279
    I really like both LALD and TMWTGG. They are my 2 favourite Moore films.

Firstly the period they are set in. I love the early 70's feel, particularly the style, locations, hotel rooms, etc. These 2 films belong with DAF as a Guy Hamilton triology. They all feel very similar in tone, and its easy to imagine Connery playing in all 3 films, or vice versa with Moore instead.

Secondly Moore's performance. His first 2 films involves Moore playing the character with a harder edge, possibly a hangover from Connery, before he found his own relaxed style, occasionally bordering on comedy routine from TSWLM onwards.

Thirdly it would be the last time we would hear the retro Barry sound (also features in DAF, OHMSS and YOLT).

Fourthly it has one of the coolest badass villains ever in Lee's Scaramanga, always one step ahead of Bond.

Finally the storyline isn't that outlandish or OTT, considering the bad press the film often gets. Its actually quite a down-to-earth script for most part, and I think it is highly underrated.
  • I really like both LALD and TMWTGG. They are my 2 favourite Moore films.

Firstly the period they are set in. I love the early 70's feel, particularly the style, locations, hotel rooms, etc. These 2 films belong with DAF as a Guy Hamilton triology. They all feel very similar in tone, and its easy to imagine Connery playing in all 3 films, or vice versa with Moore instead.

Secondly Moore's performance. His first 2 films involves Moore playing the character with a harder edge, possibly a hangover from Connery, before he found his own relaxed style, occasionally bordering on comedy routine from TSWLM onwards.

Thirdly it would be the last time we would hear the retro Barry sound (also features in DAF, OHMSS and YOLT).

Fourthly it has one of the coolest badass villains ever in Lee's Scaramanga, always one step ahead of Bond.

Finally the storyline isn't that outlandish or OTT, considering the bad press the film often gets. Its actually quite a down-to-earth script for most part, and I think it is highly underrated.

I think, along with Diamonds Are Forever (which I consider to be the second worst Bond film), there is a very good film in there. The last time I watched DAF, the whole pipeline plot angle seemed really intriguing and would work better if the film was of a more serious tone a la Dalton/Craig. Similarly, if the goofiness was taken out and the tone was consistent with Moore's portrayal (he had qualms about kicking Locque off a cliff, but here is seen smacking a woman around!) there would be a great Bond film here.
    I really like both LALD and TMWTGG. They are my 2 favourite Moore films.

I think, along with Diamonds Are Forever (which I consider to be the second worst Bond film), there is a very good film in there. The last time I watched DAF, the whole pipeline plot angle seemed really intriguing and would work better if the film was of a more serious tone a la Dalton/Craig. Similarly, if the goofiness was taken out and the tone was consistent with Moore's portrayal (he had qualms about kicking Locque off a cliff, but here is seen smacking a woman around!) there would be a great Bond film here.

Yes I agree. Neither film is perfect. They both need tweaking to make them top 5 classic entries.
  • They should also have gone with Alice Cooper's song - it's awesome.
    They should also have gone with Alice Cooper's song - it's awesome.

Yeah, the song opens with a Catchy Electric Guitar Spy tune....but I just feel it lost it's way, after the Prominent Bass Guitar.
    The Lulu song is dire despite some catchy moments. A low point for Barry

I rather enjoy it actually.
    I like Lulu's Song.....especially the alternate intro she did at the film's end. I think the TMWTGG is the first Bond film to do an alternate take of the title song in the End credits....even if Lulu did it briefly by doing a sort of Double Entendre with Goodnight's name....Oh! and Lulu is the only Bond Artist to Call Bond by name in a Song....even if we can hear 'Oh! James' from The pretenders' 'If There Was a Man' from TLD.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,279

Yes, definitely the worst song at that point in the franchise.

Of course, there would be plenty more stinkers later on to beat it (mainly in the Brosnan and Craig era). :)
    TMWTGG has always been a sentimental favourite of mine. I enjoy it on many levels,
    • Chris Lee is truly a villain with some menace and sophistication. I know the producers looked at Jack Palance but he would have been miscast. Lee balances the needed characteristics and makes Scaramenga a legend.
    • Moore's Bond is a little more assured in this entry. He isn't a fool like he was for stretches of LALD. The dinner scene with him and Lee is truly a highlight of the series. It harkens back to DN in terms of a Bond/villain conversation.
    • I love Nick Nack (even though parodied in Austin Powers) He is a little guy that sometimes you are cheering for or maybe it's just me. I also like that the relationship with Scaramenga is this love/hate relationship.
    • The dialogue is sharp. Love the "so is my Aunt" line with Andrea. The lazar scene is a cracking good one too.

I wish they had given this movie a bit more time to come together. Why the rush to get it out a year after LALD I am not sure why. Was it studio pressure or was Harry's problems so acute that he needed a payday quicker? They could have polished up some of the weaker points of the film. Overall a satisfying romp!

I also could never figure out why Jack Palance was a candidate for Scarmanaga. It was Tom Mankiewicz I think who had him in mind when he was writing this. I guess if they were going for the book version of the character he'd be right, but it would've fallen flat as that's one of Fleming's worst characters. Lee was perfect.

I also wonder why they rushed this film into production. Moore actually mentions in in one of the entries in his James Bond Diary book when LALD was still in production. Since LALD made a nice profit, you'd have thought they'd have been able to up the budget some and take a bit more time.