Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I think CR handled all that pretty well, with Bond falling for Vesper and developing a relationship, seducing Solange but not unnecessarily sleeping with her for the sake of it and obviously being attractive to some women here and there; the two tennis women and the villa receptionist. It felt like a modern, realistic approach to the James Bond character, specifically his womanising. It wasn’t on the nose and didn’t feel overtly sexist like the treatment of women has come across at points in the past and think that’s a good standard going forward, along with the idea that not every woman in a Bond film must be seduced by him, sleep with him or even want either of those things.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think CR handled all that pretty well, with Bond falling for Vesper and developing a relationship, seducing Solange but not unnecessarily sleeping with her for the sake of it and obviously being attractive to some women here and there; the two tennis women and the villa receptionist. It felt like a modern, realistic approach to the James Bond character, specifically his womanising. It wasn’t on the nose and didn’t feel overtly sexist like the treatment of women has come across at points in the past and think that’s a good standard going forward, along with the idea that not every woman in a Bond film must be seduced by him, sleep with him or even want either of those things.

This sums it up for me. Excellent post, @Denbigh!
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited October 2023 Posts: 567
    mtm wrote: »
    Is it sensual though? Maybe ones where he falls in love can be, but the ones where ladies swoon over him everywhere feel like they're mainly for laughs to me. I don't get the sense that anyone is massively disappointed in the ones where he gets less action, like NTTD, QOS or TLD.

I mean sensual as in stimulating to the senses. And I'm not advocating for Bond to become as promiscuous as he was in the 60s, I'm just trying to justify it in the context of the time.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I still think he should have had a classic Bond encounter with the receptionist at The Ocean Club 😏
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

I still think he should have had a classic Bond encounter with the receptionist at The Ocean Club 😏
    I'm surprised Spectre didn't make her an undercover SPECTRE agent that Blofeld planted ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is it sensual though? Maybe ones where he falls in love can be, but the ones where ladies swoon over him everywhere feel like they're mainly for laughs to me. I don't get the sense that anyone is massively disappointed in the ones where he gets less action, like NTTD, QOS or TLD.

I mean sensual as in stimulating to the senses. And I'm not advocating for Bond to become as promiscuous as he was in the 60s, I'm just trying to justify it in the context of the time.

Me too; I just don't think his relations with women are terribly sensual, especially in the early days. Maybe Fiona in bed in Thunderball, but that's about it really.

Me too; I just don't think his relations with women are terribly sensual, especially in the early days. Maybe Fiona in bed in Thunderball, but that's about it really.

I think FRWL deserves a mention too. But it doesn't have to involve sex to be stimulating. Even in the three films you mentioned, Bond still sleeps with at least one woman, and the women themselves are presented in an exciting way, even the ones he doesn't sleep with.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t find it very exciting. I think we can move beyond that anyway.

That's your opinion, but the crux of what I'm saying is that seeing beautiful people, places, and things on screen is part of the appeal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2023 Posts: 15,114

That's your opinion, but the crux of what I'm saying is that seeing beautiful people, places, and things on screen is part of the appeal.

I think you're extrapolating this into a different discussion: no-one's saying that attractive things shouldn't be on screen, we're specifically talking about Bond's womanising. Let's stick within those goalposts.

I think you're extrapolating this into a different discussion: no-one's saying that attractive things shouldn't be on screen, we're specifically talking about Bond's womanising. Let's stick within those goalposts.

Fair enough. I just took issue with @MakeshiftPython's rather crass comments.
  • I don't want another monk like Ethan Hunt.
    Bond is all about sex and violence. Why are we discussing this, again?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    When did there become a crusade against sex scenes to popular movies? First Oppenhiemer, now Bond? Mary Whitehouse would be proud.

• edited October 2023 Posts: 6,677
    A Time for Prudes. Now there’s a title.

People are so confused and sure of themselves at the same time, these days. It’s an embarrassing paradox, I’d say.

Is it important to discuss things? Yes, always. But it’s also important not to confuse things. Is Bond all about sex? Yes. See Fleming interviews. Was Bond always a vehicle for empowered women? Yes. Is Bond a misogynist? No, he never was. Not even in the novels. And so on and so on. Ad nauseum and ad eternum. Tired old discussions. Is casual sex a thing in the world? Yes. Do spies use human dynamics to establish connections and engames? Yes, they do. Women too, read on Margaretha Gertruida Zelle. Do people willingly use each other to suit their need? Yes, and that shouldn’t be confused with other imoral shenanigans.

I could go on, but haven’t we been here already? Countless times?
    I take exception to the speculation that Bond's on screen sexual exploits during the sixties was the work of horny old men, middle aged men in mid-life crises, and old man fantasies. It's an offensive characterization. How about speculating that young directors are groomers since the young director of NTTD was accused of inappropriate behavior. So what if it's unfair and unfounded? Just say it because it fits with one's opinion.

As for sex in Bond films, if one doesn't like it, see something else.

CrabKey wrote: »
    I take exception to the speculation that Bond's on screen sexual exploits during the sixties was the work of horny old men, middle aged men in mid-life crises, and old man fantasies. It's an offensive characterization. How about speculating that young directors are groomers since the young director of NTTD was accused of inappropriate behavior. So what if it's unfair and unfounded? Just say it because it fits with one's opinion.

As for sex in Bond films, if one doesn't like it, see something else.

Exacly.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    2027 might be a good time to release bond 26 because not only is it the 65th anniversary of the franchise, but it's also the 30th anniversary of Tomorrow Never Dies, the 40th anniversary of The Living Daylights, the 50th anniversary of The Spy Who Loved Me and the 60th anniversary of You Only Live Twice. Unsurprisingly years ending in 7 are very eventful for Bond.
  • Yes, I am certain if Bond 26 will be ready for 2026, EON will consider delaying it to 2027 because it’s the 30th anniversary of TND!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gosh, that's terrifying! :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yes, I am certain if Bond 26 will be ready for 2026, EON will consider delaying it to 2027 because it’s the 30th anniversary of TND!

Why would the 30th anniversary of TND mean anything at all?
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yes, I am certain if Bond 26 will be ready for 2026, EON will consider delaying it to 2027 because it’s the 30th anniversary of TND!

How dare you. You'll have to pay the penalty for your insolence.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

One thing I like about the bit with the receptionist in CR is that she is obviously digging Bond but she’s not reduced to fawning over him like a school girl like that one receptionist in TB. Case in point is that the camera lingers on her as Bond moves on, and we see her simply get back to work, rather than looking over at him with longing.

Man, I remember plenty of fans back in 2006 getting so upset over the fact that Bond didn’t sleep with Solange before leaving. OH NO FORMULA IS RUINED! I do think it was a good way to modernize that Bond will seduce a lady for information but he’ll leave when the situation calls for it, which shows a sense of urgency in Bond’s pursuit. But the icing on the cake is that he orders her a parting gift with a bottle of Bollinger. He’d probably like to stick around and share it with her, but he has a mission.
    Man, I remember plenty of fans back in 2006 getting so upset over the fact that Bond didn’t sleep with Solange before leaving..

Well, I was because I would ;)
    Nah, love that scene.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I do think it was a good way to modernize that Bond will seduce a lady for information but he’ll leave when the situation calls for it, which shows a sense of urgency in Bond’s pursuit. But the icing on the cake is that he orders her a parting gift with a bottle of Bollinger. He’d probably like to stick around and share it with her, but he has a mission.
    100%, the ordering of the bottle of Bollinger is such an iconic moment as well and I wouldn't want to lose it for a throwaway scene where he joins her before cutting straight to Miami.
    CrabKey wrote: »

Huh? Cary Fukunaga was 42 years old at the time of NTTD’s production. That’s not young, that’s middle aged. In comparison, Terence Young was 46 when he shot DN, and he too was accused of inappropriate behavior.

I think the youngest director we’ve had attached to Bond was Marc Forster at 38. As far as I know, he hasn’t been accused like his two fellow Craig era directors.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I was being ironic in response to Mendes4Lyfe constantly making comments about how EON will want to time Bond 26 so that it coincides with various inconsequential anniversaries, even though I have already told him that not even the 50th anniversary of the franchise was big enough for them to delay Skyfall, as Skyfall would have been released in 2011 had the MGM bankrupcy not happened.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Is it alright for old men to be horny?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

One thing I like about the bit with the receptionist in CR is that she is obviously digging Bond but she’s not reduced to fawning over him like a school girl like that one receptionist in TB. Case in point is that the camera lingers on her as Bond moves on, and we see her simply get back to work, rather than looking over at him with longing.

Man, I remember plenty of fans back in 2006 getting so upset over the fact that Bond didn’t sleep with Solange before leaving. OH NO FORMULA IS RUINED! I do think it was a good way to modernize that Bond will seduce a lady for information but he’ll leave when the situation calls for it, which shows a sense of urgency in Bond’s pursuit. But the icing on the cake is that he orders her a parting gift with a bottle of Bollinger. He’d probably like to stick around and share it with her, but he has a mission.

Yes, both are those are great. I also think the Solange scene is one of the very few times a Bond film has been genuinely sexy.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Is it alright for old men to be horny?

I never suggested it was a bad thing.