Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2023 Posts: 15,092
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    To be fair he does disobey orders quite a bit in TLD. Especially when it comes to choosing not to kill people (ie. Karla, Pushkin).

I suppose it falls under the banner of taking his own initiative, which is taken to its extremes in the early Craig films.

Exactly: if we’re saying he ‘goes rogue’ in QoS (where he’s literally ‘rogue’ for less than a minute of screen time in the hotel) or SF (where he actually just takes some time off then reports back for duty) then he’s certainly rogue in TLD where he actively disobeys M’s orders. M even has a shout at him and threatens to replace him with 008 (as he did in GF too). As if I’d forget that TLD exists :D
    Bond is always proven to be correct in all of these cases, because he’s Bond. It’s his character and his appeal.
    In QoS rather than tell M that he didn’t kill the Special Branch Officer, he just makes a smart remark, and as a consequence M orders him home and cancels his passport and credit cards. From that point until the end of the film he has gone rogue. From then on he’s without official support, is chased by the CIA, and is forced to rely on personal relationships, new and old, for support in the field. We have that bit where M says she wants him back and he says he never left. Yes he’s saying he was simply pursuing the mission, but M obviously has considered him rogue until then.

M is wrong though; and strictly speaking Bond is only totally off the case when she intercepts him in the hotel and restrains him- and then less than 60 seconds later he meets her again in the hallway and she is assured that he is actually working for her, and she shows that she trusts him, so he's back on the books. It's certainly not until the end of the film.
    In LtK, QoS, DaD, and Spectre, Bond is rogue rather than things suffering ‘mission creep’ and M being annoyed.

I'd say LTK is different as he considers himself not to be working for MI6 anymore and out on his own: in the others he considers himself to be an MI6 spy doing the right thing, just not with the blessing of his boss. I'm not really sure where he's rogue at all in DAD- just the Cuba bit?

I must admit I'm not seeing the problem. Yes, Bond often disagrees with M and does what he thinks is right (and because he's Bond, he is right). What's the issue with that?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    To be fair he does disobey orders quite a bit in TLD. Especially when it comes to choosing not to kill people (ie. Karla, Pushkin).

I suppose it falls under the banner of taking his own initiative, which is taken to its extremes in the early Craig films.

Exactly: if we’re saying he ‘goes rogue’ in QoS (where he’s literally ‘rogue’ for less than a minute of screen time in the hotel) or SF (where he actually just takes some time off then reports back for duty) then he’s certainly rogue in TLD where he actively disobeys M’s orders. M even has a shout at him and threatens to replace him with 008 (as he did in GF too). As if I’d forget that TLD exists :D
    Bond is always proven to be correct in all of these cases, because he’s Bond. It’s his character and his appeal.
    In QoS rather than tell M that he didn’t kill the Special Branch Officer, he just makes a smart remark, and as a consequence M orders him home and cancels his passport and credit cards. From that point until the end of the film he has gone rogue. From then on he’s without official support, is chased by the CIA, and is forced to rely on personal relationships, new and old, for support in the field. We have that bit where M says she wants him back and he says he never left. Yes he’s saying he was simply pursuing the mission, but M obviously has considered him rogue until then.

M is wrong though; and strictly speaking Bond is only totally off the case when she intercepts him in the hotel and restrains him- and then less than 60 seconds later he meets her again in the hallway and she is assured that he is actually working for her, and she shows that she trusts him, so he's back on the books. It's certainly not until the end of the film.
    In LtK, QoS, DaD, and Spectre, Bond is rogue rather than things suffering ‘mission creep’ and M being annoyed.

I'd say LTK is different as he considers himself not to be working for MI6 anymore and out on his own: in the others he considers himself to be an MI6 spy doing the right thing, just not with the blessing of his boss. I'm not really sure where he's rogue at all in DAD- just the Cuba bit?
    Yes, I think so. I remember him breaking out of the infirmary when still considered a traitor and going off without support to Hong Kong and then getting reinstated after Cuba (I think - I only rewatch the sword-fight from this film).

I must admit I'm not seeing the problem. Yes, Bond often disagrees with M and does what he thinks is right (and because he's Bond, he is right). What's the issue with that?
    Disagreeing with M and making judgment calls in the field is fine, it’s the way that scripts keep upping this to M suspending him for maximum drama. It’s both a matter of diminishing returns and a lack of plausibility that this keeps happening rather than Bond either being fired or given the benefit of the doubt.It’s simply an overplayed hand and quite unnecessary, imo.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it works: it hasn't felt repetitive to me- no more repetitive than all of the other repetitions. She suspended him for a minute in QoS, then he got grounded at the beginning of Sp... that's it isn't it?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    ...that's it isn't it?
    It is, I think. In QOS, M stops Bond's cards and passports after Bregenz but the govt minister's under the impression that he's still on the books and it's not until M confronts Bond at the hotel that he's relieved of duty - and even then it's M who stands him down, not Bond who goes rogue. And as mtm said, that lasts all of five minutes max and then M's fully behind him again, telling Tanner outright that Bond's her agent and she trusts him.
    I think it works: it hasn't felt repetitive to me- no more repetitive than all of the other repetitions. She suspended him for a minute in QoS, then he got grounded at the beginning of Sp... that's it isn't it?
    He’s suspended in DaD, QoS, and Spectre. That’s every other film.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Or three times in twenty years, you could say. I wouldn't say his suspension in DAD is even very similar to that in QoS: he's taken off duty and locked up in one because he's been imprisoned for several months and they're not sure if he hasn't been brainwashed; whereas in the other M thinks he's out on a course of revenge instead of doing his job.
    Those are more interesting and dramatic to me than him just standing in her office being told what to do, and I don't think they feel very similar to each other either. He wears a dinner jacket and kisses girls way more often.
    He’s suspended in DaD, QoS, and Spectre. That’s every other film.
    Or three times in twenty years, you could say.

I love this forum, you guys are so . . pedantic!

Thing is, screen Bond hasn't had a proper mission since the 90's, aside from CR I suppose. Time to get zombieBond back to work, I reckon.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not sure what 'proper mission' means. He's jumped off things, shot plenty of people, kissed girls, punched some other people, defeated huge evil schemes... they all seemed pretty proper to me.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I do feel sometimes the whole "rogue" angle is unnecessary, especially in a film like Spectre. What was gained from M not wanting Bond on that mission and Q keeping it a secret?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well it makes Bond, and Dench-M, more involved in the plot as he's digging it up himself; he's actually discovering stuff. Plus you have the nice bit of tension between him and M; C being able to use that as a little wedge to attack M with... there's quite a lot of stuff it adds.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited April 2023 Posts: 567
    He says the tape was mailed to him just after she died. It doesn't sound like he had to do that much digging. Unless he gets lots of post.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Three out of a possible six.
    He does reassess the situation based on him being an experienced agent, and both times Bond was proved to be correct. And in the case of Kara, that comes from the short story, almost word for word, so isn't out of character for Bond. Bond going rogue, as he does in LTK is substantially different.

What should be far, far worse, imo, is rookie Bond breaking into M’s home in CR.

To be completely honest, I never liked the idea of Bond breaking into M's flat. Dench's M seems like the sort of boss who'd immediately have the guy sacked or even imprisoned for doing something like that. I can't see any other version of Bond doing such a thing either.

That said I really didn't mind Bond going 'off grid' in QOS, or even at the end of SF. It made more sense from a story perspective for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He does reassess the situation based on him being an experienced agent, and both times Bond was proved to be correct. And in the case of Kara, that comes from the short story, almost word for word, so isn't out of character for Bond. Bond going rogue, as he does in LTK is substantially different.

What should be far, far worse, imo, is rookie Bond breaking into M’s home in CR.

To be completely honest, I never liked the idea of Bond breaking into M's flat.

I think it's a slightly random beat in the story: I'm not really sure what it's supposed to say about either of them, other than Bond getting a little bit of info from her terminal. It doesn't upset me but just feels a bit off somehow, where the scene where he's in her house in SF doesn't.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

I think it's a slightly random beat in the story: I'm not really sure what it's supposed to say about either of them, other than Bond getting a little bit of info from her terminal. It doesn't upset me but just feels a bit off somehow, where the scene where he's in her house in SF doesn't.

Part indicating his capabilitieties, part showing off.

It does serve 007's purposes to feel out his standing after the Madagacar job. Better than getting chewed out in M's office.

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited April 2023 Posts: 567
    It always struck me, in both movies, as a little bit sinister. Like he's trying to make her feel unsafe in her own home. If nothing else it shows a complete lack of respect. I certainly can't imagine him doing it to Lee or Brown.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It always struck me, in both movies, as a little bit sinister. Like he's trying to make her feel unsafe in her own home. If nothing else it shows a complete lack of respect. I certainly can't imagine him doing it to Lee or Brown.

Funnily enough if I think he did it them, certainly Brown, they'd come off looking weaker and more vulnerable than Dench does I reckon.

Quite odd when you think that Mallory is the only M whose house we haven't seen :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2023 Posts: 13,904
    First he shoots up an embassy, then for an encore, he breaks into M’s house. He got off lightly with a mild talking to from M.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    That's only because the frequency of new films has been reduced. It's still happened often.

Those are more interesting and dramatic to me than him just standing in her office being told what to do, and I don't think they feel very similar to each other either.
    The point is that drama doesn't have to come so often from tension between Bond and his bosses. It could be found in the characters and situations faced by Bond in the mission itself.

He wears a dinner jacket and kisses girls way more often.
    Yes, but that's been established as a trademark of the character from the beginning. The fact it happens often shouldn't be any more bothersome than the fact Bond fires a gun in every film.

To be completely honest, I never liked the idea of Bond breaking into M's flat. Dench's M seems like the sort of boss who'd immediately have the guy sacked or even imprisoned for doing something like that. I can't see any other version of Bond doing such a thing either.
    Oh, Moore’s Bond would, M would find him naked in her bed with a couple of glasses of champagne on the bedside table.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »
    That's only because the frequency of new films has been reduced. It's still happened often.

Well I don't think three times in twenty years is that often: and it's been different each time. They're only often if you watch all the films close together, and they're not really designed for that.

Those are more interesting and dramatic to me than him just standing in her office being told what to do, and I don't think they feel very similar to each other either.
    The point is that drama doesn't have to come so often from tension between Bond and his bosses. It could be found in the characters and situations faced by Bond in the mission itself.

I would say that it is: but a bit more tension from other places just adds to the drama and excitement, I'd say.

He wears a dinner jacket and kisses girls way more often.
    Yes, but that's been established as a trademark of the character from the beginning. The fact it happens often shouldn't be any more bothersome than the fact Bond fires a gun in every film.

Are we saying that nothing new can be added then? I refute that it is that repetitious, but it seems a rather arbitrary rule that repetition is good, but only repetition of some elements established before some point in 1974 or whatever it is.

• edited April 2023 Posts: 3,033

I think the main reason is that it gets the two characters together in a scene for the first time that feels private enough for M to give him the talk she does. It shows Bond is a bit of a loose cannon who will follow his own path of investigation if needed, and it gives the sense that M can or will warm to Bond despite this. It's purely practical from a script point of view, and one could argue it even works. It's just when you think about it it's a bit silly and even out of character for M/Bond because of the script necessities it needs to achieve.

Regardless, I completely agree with you, it's a bit of a stretch and a random beat, especially when compared to SF.

Oh, Moore’s Bond would, M would find him naked in her bed with a couple of glasses of champagne on the bedside table.

"You've got a bloody cheek!"

* Bond raises eyebrow *
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Screenwriting 101: every scene has tension.

Take two people in a room: one wants something, and scene-partner wants something as well... Take this away and make a good scene (if a character didn't want something, then it's just Basil Exposition talking)...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think the main reason is that it gets the two characters together in a scene for the first time that feels private enough for M to give him the talk she does. It shows Bond is a bit of a loose cannon who will follow his own path of investigation if needed, and it gives the sense that M can or will warm to Bond despite this. It's purely practical from a script point of view, and one could argue it even works. It's just when you think about it it's a bit silly and even out of character for M/Bond because of the script necessities it needs to achieve.

Regardless, I completely agree with you, it's a bit of a stretch and a random beat, especially when compared to SF.

Yeah you're completely right; it does everything which is needed and yet, yeah... I can't even put into words what feels off about it, I don't know what it is really. Maybe that Bond has no particular reason to do it (obviously we know he's there mostly to steal some info, but it's not really clear why M thinks he's there) - it's just a weird situation. Add to that some slightly odd lines: the 'half-monk' thing always felt a bit unwieldy to me; it's just not a snappy line. And the odd moment where she threatens to have him killed for saying her name when there's only them there... it's just a bit weird.
    In SF it feels more understandable as he's flying under the radar at that point, so trespassing feels about right, and he kind of doesn't care that he shocks her because she made the order which 'killed' him. It's also got some actually killer lines ('enjoying death') and a couple of gags which really work ('you're not bloody sleeping here'): for me it's a far superior scene.

In CR it's just an odd scene that feels off to me, for some of the reasons I mention and others I can't quite put my finger on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Funnily enough if I think he did it them, certainly Brown, they'd come off looking weaker and more vulnerable than Dench does I reckon.

Quite odd when you think that Mallory is the only M whose house we haven't seen :D

We never saw Robert Brown's M house.
    Just got back from a special theatrical screening of OHMSS. It reminded me that who ever is in the pilots chair next time around they need to sit down and re-watch all of the '60s Bond films with a packed house to capture the magic of Bond.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 3,279
    It would be a nice change in the next Bond film to return back to the older formula (1962 to 1987) where Bond pops into M's office after the PTS, flirts with a swooning Moneypenny, gets briefed by M on what his next mission is, and then goes down to see Q and be given his latest gadget, and then he's off on a mission and the Scooby gang are not seen again until the next movie.

I'd be quite happy seeing that change in direction again, even if it's just for 1 movie. Bond can then go back to being as rogue as he likes in the next one, and the Scooby gang can pop up wherever they damned well like, but it would be nice to see a return to the original formula for one more movie.
    P&W are deeply enriched in their knowledge of Fleming. I know people aren’t fans of their work, but as mentioned above, they never have final word on what goes into the films. To lose them during this transitional period would be foolish of EON.

I was reading about Spectre, and one thing I didn't realise was that they pushed for the winter stuff to be set in Kitzbühel because it's where Fleming learnt to ski when he was young, and when he stayed there he stayed with a couple who provided therapy for people in a 'negative contest with their siblings'; which obviously is part of the plot of the film. Intentional because they know their Fleming, as you say.
    People always say they're terrible, but I never quite work out what the reason is. The plots seem perfectly good to me. They complain about Bond going rogue, as if it's never happened before.

I also read that P&W wanted to call one of the Bond films Magic 44 (based on YOLT). It would be interesting to know what first drafts of scripts were like by P&W, and how much they differed from the end product.

If their first drafts were more in line with proper Fleming adaptations, and got tampered and altered by endless rewrites from others afterwards, then all is forgiven by me on calling them out, and I would then hold them in much higher esteem than I currently do.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It would be a nice change in the next Bond film to return back to the older formula (1962 to 1987) where Bond pops into M's office after the PTS, flirts with a swooning Moneypenny, gets briefed by M on what his next mission is, and then goes down to see Q and be given his latest gadget, and then he's off on a mission and the Scooby gang are not seen again until the next movie.

I'd be quite happy seeing that change in direction again, even if it's just for 1 movie. Bond can then go back to being as rogue as he likes in the next one, and the Scooby gang can pop up wherever they damned well like, but it would be nice to see a return to the original formula for one more movie.

I’ve nothing against that (obviously as I like a lot of movies which start that way!) but I’ve also seen it, and I don’t mind them taking a different way to do it at all.
    Don’t forget the ‘87 one had him arguing with M and then disobeying his orders; ‘74 had M giving the nod to Bond going on a personal mission, ‘69 had M remove Bond from his mission and Bond attempt to resign as a result, even ‘79 had Bond going off the books for a while. Alterations of this ‘formula’ are part of the formula.
    P&W are deeply enriched in their knowledge of Fleming. I know people aren’t fans of their work, but as mentioned above, they never have final word on what goes into the films. To lose them during this transitional period would be foolish of EON.

I was reading about Spectre, and one thing I didn't realise was that they pushed for the winter stuff to be set in Kitzbühel because it's where Fleming learnt to ski when he was young, and when he stayed there he stayed with a couple who provided therapy for people in a 'negative contest with their siblings'; which obviously is part of the plot of the film. Intentional because they know their Fleming, as you say.
    People always say they're terrible, but I never quite work out what the reason is. The plots seem perfectly good to me. They complain about Bond going rogue, as if it's never happened before.

I also read that P&W wanted to call one of the Bond films Magic 44 (based on YOLT). It would be interesting to know what first drafts of scripts were like by P&W, and how much they differed from the end product.

If their first drafts were more in line with proper Fleming adaptations, and got tampered and altered by endless rewrites from others afterwards, then all is forgiven by me on calling them out, and I would then hold them in much higher esteem than I currently do.

They pack their scripts full of Fleming stuff, some of it rather deep dives like the one I mentioned.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 3,033

Yeah you're completely right; it does everything which is needed and yet, yeah... I can't even put into words what feels off about it, I don't know what it is really. Maybe that Bond has no particular reason to do it (obviously we know he's there mostly to steal some info, but it's not really clear why M thinks he's there) - it's just a weird situation. Add to that some slightly odd lines: the 'half-monk' thing always felt a bit unwieldy to me; it's just not a snappy line. And the odd moment where she threatens to have him killed for saying her name when there's only them there... it's just a bit weird.
    In SF it feels more understandable as he's flying under the radar at that point, so trespassing feels about right, and he kind of doesn't care that he shocks her because she made the order which 'killed' him. It's also got some actually killer lines ('enjoying death') and a couple of gags which really work ('you're not bloody sleeping here'): for me it's a far superior scene.

In CR it's just an odd scene that feels off to me, for some of the reasons I mention and others I can't quite put my finger on.

For me I think a lot of it comes down to the dialogue after a certain point. Like I said it's a very purposeful scene and technically functions correctly in the context of the movie. But yes, lines such as 'any thug can kill. I want you to take your ego out of the equation' and 'this might be too much for a blunt instrument to understand but arrogance and self awareness seldom go hand in hand' are not things I expect many people to actually say, even in a Bond film. They feel just a bit too cerebral and weighty, especially coming from a disgruntled boss after her employee has broken into her flat (as you say for little reason).

I do find one of CR's biggest flaws is actually its dialogue, as much as I like that film. Lines like 'you know what I can do with my little finger' are a bit strange and crude on rewatch too. It's one of the ways in which I've always found SF is a vast improvement in terms of script (things like Silva's speech about the rats feels far more natural and interesting by comparison, despite being just as weighty and metaphorical).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

For me I think a lot of it comes down to the dialogue after a certain point. Like I said it's a very purposeful scene and technically functions correctly in the context of the movie. But yes, lines such as 'any thug can kill. I want you to take your ego out of the equation' and 'this might be too much for a blunt instrument to understand but arrogance and self awareness seldom go hand in hand' are not things I expect many people to actually say, even in a Bond film. They feel just a bit too cerebral and weighty, especially coming from a disgruntled boss after her employee has broken into her flat (as you say for little reason).

Yeah it's really over-written. Almost to the point where it's hard to understand what they're trying to say: they're just sort of swapping complex metaphors at one point rather than replying to each other in a conversation. Even just the use of 'half-monk' is so weird: monks aren't really part of people's metaphorical vocabulary. 'Priest' would feel slightly more natural perhaps.
    I do find one of CR's biggest flaws is actually its dialogue, as much as I like that film. Lines like 'you know what I can do with my little finger' are a bit strange and crude on rewatch too. It's one of the ways in which I've always found SF is a vast improvement in terms of script (things like Silva's speech about the rats feels far more natural and interesting by comparison, despite being just as weighty and metaphorical).

Definitely: the rat speech is one of the all time best scenes in Bond, I say. It's beautifully written.
    And the little finger line always stood out to me too: not for Bond's reply funnily enough (I quite like his punchline) but more that Vesper's line about 'if all was left of you was your little finger' is just a strange, unnatural thing to say- I remember it stood out as such to me in the cinema as well. I don't really love the 'armour' stuff there either: it's lots of metaphorical language being used in a way people don't usually talk. Obviously artifice in Bond dialogue is nothing new, but this is done is a slightly overly flowery and complex way, when it's dealing with stuff which is trying to connect emotionally with the audience.
    I don't know who is responsible for this dialogue: it doesn't really feel like anything in the other films.