Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    He could do a Memento-style Bond film that takes place between YOLT and TMWTGG where it starts with the assassination attempt on M's life and works backwards as he regains his memory.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,368
    He could do a Memento-style Bond film that takes place between YOLT and TMWTGG where it starts with the assassination attempt on M's life and works backwards as he regains his memory.

I love Memento. I rewatched it recently. It still has that bullet pace. David Julyan's unique score. Guy's immersive performance. A Bond film in the style of Memento would undoubtedly be unique with the complete Bondian elements, but it might still be divisive though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 40,474

I can already hear general audiences' misguided complaints that it's another Bourne copycat or something. Regardless, it'd certainly be something properly fresh for the series.
    Good points both. I’m not even sure I could say I’d be really excited by the prospect of a film like this (I like many am looking forward to something a little more traditional for the next Bond outing), but it does seem like something Nolan would likely do, and would be an interesting addition to the collection of Bond stories.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,368
    Good points both. I’m not even sure I could say I’d be really excited by the prospect of a film like this (I like many am looking forward to something a little more traditional for the next Bond outing), but it does seem like something Nolan would likely do, and would be an interesting addition to the collection of Bond stories.

Precisely. I want traditional 007 for Bond 7 was well. It wouldn't hurt now, especially in times like this when people are simply seeking straightforward, but highly entertaining films.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I liked Tenet, and still would like to see a Nolan Bond film. Am I the last one?

Yes, but you are also the first one, and the middle one.
    It's an intriguing idea and one I wouldn't mind seeing adapted but definitely as more of an aside/spinoff type deal. I wouldn't want to wait another 4-5 years to get that installment at the start of a new era. I want this next one to be as traditional, classic and straightforward as possible.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Honestly, i just want a soft-reboot that takes place after DAD.

Check out The Matador - for me, that's Brosnan's "unofficial" fifth Bond, where he's now removed from MI6, under a new name, taking on contracts while he's simultaneously burnt out from decades of alcohol and sex and being overworked.

Just kidding, obviously, but it's one of my all-time favorite films and it was a fun lens to view it through after dozens of viewings.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    echo wrote: »
    I liked Tenet, and still would like to see a Nolan Bond film. Am I the last one?

Yes, but you are also the first one, and the middle one.

And backwards.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's an intriguing idea and one I wouldn't mind seeing adapted but definitely as more of an aside/spinoff type deal. I wouldn't want to wait another 4-5 years to get that installment at the start of a new era. I want this next one to be as traditional, classic and straightforward as possible.

I could see them "pulling a Fleming" and having it start in medias res. Eon has already shown themselves open to experimentation in NTTD (opening on a love interest and villain, not Bond, for the first time since TMWTGG).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I seriously wonder how long the EON group will be stating that they're not sure where to go or what to do?
    I don’t think that’s strictly analogous with what’s been officially said with regards to them taking some time to consider where to take Bond post-Craig.

I could see them "pulling a Fleming" and having it start in medias res. Eon has already shown themselves open to experimentation in NTTD (opening on a love interest and villain, not Bond, for the first time since TMWTGG).

I really dig that NTTD PTS as a result.

@Last_Rat_Standing, I take that as them not wanting to back themselves into a corner by revealing anything too early. They'd be fools to not have discussed anything concrete by now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I could see them "pulling a Fleming" and having it start in medias res.

Isn't that almost every PTS so far? :D
  • Jordo007 wrote: »
    T... or how they can pick up with Bond apparently Double-O-Dead.

I reckon he'll be found in the shower, and the Craig era will all have been a dream.

No, everything since CR was a dream and when he wakes up, we see an older Brosnan as Bond frightened and he wakes up an older Samantha Bond as Moneypenny, telling her everything that happened while she consolates him.

Better yet, Bond 26 could begin with Brosnan taking off the VR device and John Cleese turns around and says, "Rather fun, isn't it?" To which Brosnan replies, "You have an interesting definition of fun, Q."
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Check out The Matador - for me, that's Brosnan's "unofficial" fifth Bond, where he's now removed from MI6, under a new name, taking on contracts while he's simultaneously burnt out from decades of alcohol and sex and being overworked.

Just kidding, obviously, but it's one of my all-time favorite films and it was a fun lens to view it through after dozens of viewings.

A special edition could be done using Cavill’s effects team to do mustaches removal on Pierce. 😉
    Production on NTTD finished mid 2019 and should have opened Nov 2019. Then it was delayed to April 2020. Even taking into account a pandemic delay the producers have had nearly 3 years to think about where Bond is going and what they want to do, but we still seem to be no further forward with even any vague news about Bond 26.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Production on NTTD finished mid 2019 and should have opened Nov 2019. Then it was delayed to April 2020. Even taking into account a pandemic delay the producers have had nearly 3 years to think about where Bond is going and what they want to do, but we still seem to be no further forward with even any vague news about Bond 26.

I agree, and said this at the time of NTTD’s release.
    I do think that they are a little further along than they may be letting on.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,430
    Nolan has played with interesting plots including memory, global plagues, corporate espionage, magic is science, etc. and he's hinted in the past that he probably has something reserved for Bond when the time comes. I do think if there will ever be a time, it's about to come, and I'm confident he'll deliver something very interesting. I do think he will have to play it relatively safe, simply because this is the launch of a new actor. There will be constraints, and I'm sure he probably understands that. He played around constraints with Batman, I'm sure he'll figure it out here.
  • LucknFate wrote: »
    Nolan has played with interesting plots including memory, global plagues, corporate espionage, magic is science, etc. and he's hinted in the past that he probably has something reserved for Bond when the time comes. I do think if there will ever be a time, it's about to come, and I'm confident he'll deliver something very interesting. I do think he will have to play it relatively safe, simply because this is the launch of a new actor. There will be constraints, and I'm sure he probably understands that. He played around constraints with Batman, I'm sure he'll figure it out here.

Yeah, but the thing is Nolan hasn't shifted in 15 years from the style he solidified with The Dark Knight, and the last three Bond films all pulled heavily from that style. If what the producers are looking for really is reinvention, then Nolan is the last person they should hire. Style and mood-wise, Bond 26 would simply be SF/SP/NTTD 2.0.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    That's a good point, they've been borrowing so much from Nolan that a Nolan film now would feel like more of the same.

Thinking of Villeneuve, I feel like Shanghai in Skyfall was fairly reminiscent of his Blade Runner; maybe we'd get more of that mood and feel if he were to direct one.
  • Villeneuve's films inhabit a similar space as Nolan's—introspective, despondent, visually gloomy. I feel Villeneuve too would be more of the same. It would be great to get back to good old-fashioned escapism again and play up the fun, jet-setting side of cinematic Bond. This is probably forever true, but I feel we all could use some simple escapism now more than ever.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    T... or how they can pick up with Bond apparently Double-O-Dead.

I reckon he'll be found in the shower, and the Craig era will all have been a dream.

No, everything since CR was a dream and when he wakes up, we see an older Brosnan as Bond frightened and he wakes up an older Samantha Bond as Moneypenny, telling her everything that happened while she consolates him.

Better yet, Bond 26 could begin with Brosnan taking off the VR device and John Cleese turns around and says, "Rather fun, isn't it?" To which Brosnan replies, "You have an interesting definition of fun, Q."

I mean, he wished he could make him dissapear, so...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    One of the problems I have with these big name directors and especially the ones that have been connected with Bond for decades at this point (meaning: Nolan) is that I can't see any of them just doing a straight Bond film, which is what I want next. Because they are auteurs it would always have to be a "reinvention", a "new vision", "the culmination of 60 years of Bond", whereas I would prefer just a straight, well-made, mission movie. They tried it with Skyfall, it worked fantastically, they tried it two more times with middling to bad results. Maybe they could do it like with Mendes and bring in one of those guys for the third or fourth film of the new tenure, when we are possibly ready for an "and what does it all mean?"-Bond again.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2022 Posts: 8,025

That’s not how Eon has functioned. At least since GE, they’ve claimed that they work on each Bond film thinking it could be the last. They never think ahead. The Craig films are proof of that. They were only ever going to start thinking of Bond 26 once the dust settled with NTTD after release.

Honestly, I don’t want Eon to rush a Bond 26 just because fans are so impatient. I actually want some distance between Craig and the next actor, just like how we got it with Brosnan to Craig. A good four year hiatus that makes fans even hungrier for a new Bond than they would have been if Eon had simply cranked out a film in 2022.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That’s not how Eon has functioned. At least since GE, they’ve claimed that they work on each Bond film thinking it could be the last. They never think ahead. The Craig films are proof of that. They were only ever going to start thinking of Bond 26 once the dust settled with NTTD after release.

I kind of like it that way, too: I want each one to be the best it possibly can be and for them to stuff with everything they've got- I don't want them holding things over for the next one. Also you never know how well things are going to go down, you put a Jar Jar in one film and find people hate it so you need to keep things fluid. You might lose an actor between films, anything like that- none of these things can be planned tightly.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 13,894
    If they're EON are going to do another arc, this time they need to plan it out. At least map out a rough framework, allowing for wiggle room (change of cast, shifting of geo politics). Don't bumble through it this time.

At the end of CR, Bond is the
    Bond we know and love
    But at the start of QOS, Bond wasn't at that point yet. Then in SF Bond was supposedly burned out. In SP he had regained his spark... sort of. And I am not even going to touch NTTD with a broom handle.

EON's map for the Craig era, leaked from the Sony hacks:
    image-asset.png
    Yeah. I think proper planning of it would help this time, if that's the route they want to take. So things aren't undermined again. I still can't get over how Le Chiffre, Greene & Silva suddenly became SPECTRE agents or how Blofeld orchestrated everything from CR-SP, Lol. It's really kind of funny.
    :))