Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,932
    Yes, they've both said something to the effect of 'Bond is always a contemporary character'. And, as others have pointed out, even if BB and MGW weren't intrinsically opposed, the product placement alone's likely to prevent them making a period piece.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 2022 Posts: 1,434
    I think Bond is going younger but not boyish, and I could see them really focusing on getting out of England for 26 bc audiences will be sick of the pandemic and looking for escapism hopefully. I think we are guaranteed much more Asian influence going forward, with more Chinese and Korean actors and influence. I doubt the continent of Africa gets much love, but I could see North Africa being a location. It also seems timely to visit Southeast Asia in greater detail depending on political stability. Thailand or Malaysia. Villain plots will likely have to do with geo-engineering, viruses, migration, energy production, water supply, and/or American businessmen, US intelligence, and rogue elements from vaguely Russian backgrounds. I predict we will get a climate terrorist. I think we're going to get a recurring Felix again too, but with more planning and involvement by the actor and writers up front.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    There’s a lot of folks that want to see Bond turned into a retro series. EON has never been interested in going that route as all of their films have been contemporary.
    "... Villain plots will likely have to do with geo-engineering, viruses, migration, energy production, water supply, and/or American businessmen, US intelligence, and rogue elements from vaguely Russian backgrounds. I predict we will get a climate terrorist..."

So much for Escapism !
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I mean the franchise was about the Cold War for 40 years.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A large of the fantasy element of Bond is that it is contemporary. People want to *be* Bond.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Really only 25, with TLD being the last relevant Cold War story. Though if you want to include the books that bumps it to 34 years, so that’s close.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Really only 25, with TLD being the last relevant Cold War story. Though if you want to include the books that bumps it to 34 years, so that’s close.
    True, the point is that all James Bond films have been somewhat rooted in whatever cultural or political climate we find ourselves in. Maybe it feels like escapism because we're so far away from the climates and a lot of weren't even born, meaning when the modern films try to do it, it feels too real for people.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    mtm wrote: »
    Broccoli and Wilson did say explicitly they weren't interested in a period setting in one recent interview.

That's a relief. Cheers mate
    If fans want period piece set in the '60s, go rewatch Thunderball. Any attempt to capture the feel and look of that era would probably come off as artificial because we have the original films to compare them to.
    The only period films I would be interested in are strict adaptations of the Fleming novels, with little to none of the EON specific elements that made their films unique from the novels. They’d be made without any of the reverential nostalgia you’d typically see in period films. Zero pop culture references. Basically the complete opposite of that Guy Richie’s THE MAN FROM UNCLE.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,932
    The only period films I would be interested in are strict adaptations of the Fleming novels, with little to none of the EON specific elements that made their films unique from the novels. They’d be made without any of the reverential nostalgia you’d typically see in period films. Zero pop culture references. Basically the complete opposite of that Guy Richie’s THE MAN FROM UNCLE.

My vote's for an adaptation of Moonraker set in 1955 and filmed in black and white. Even if it was only on streaming, to distinguish it from the films. Bezos could finance it out of pocket change tomorrow and not miss it. Probably.
    To really do it, with music of the day, too. However, if made in the style of films made then, would that include fake background screens, modest stunts, slow pace compared with today ? Face it, even the more mature members among us don't have the patience for some of that, and have gotten used to better action, good FX, and a snappy enough pace. I think that even with those things used, it could be really neat. Wide audience appeal ? Dunno...
    Since62 wrote: »
    To really do it, with music of the day, too. However, if made in the style of films made then, would that include fake background screens, modest stunts, slow pace compared with today ? Face it, even the more mature members among us don't have the patience for some of that, and have gotten used to better action, good FX, and a snappy enough pace. I think that even with those things used, it could be really neat. Wide audience appeal ? Dunno...

All that would probably be what Tarantino would do, but it’s not what I’d want.
    Set in 1955, rather than being a pastiche of the film-style of that era, would be the way to go, I think.
  • I just want someone who can reslly act like Dalton and Craig.
    That might be the problem - because Craig was a big cut above most British actors of his generation and I'm really not sure who there is on that level today. Kevin McKidd is the only British actor I can think of who's both a really good actor and has a similar mix of gravitas, sensitivity and badassery as Craig, but he's already the age that Dan was in SP, so he's a no-no. If they'd planned to carry on Craig's storylines, maybe, but...well...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,979

I wouldn't be interested in even that to be honest. The books are great to read, but the films add so much to make them good viewing experiences. The radio adaptations rather show to me how dry period adaptations without the Eon additives would be (and they even still added Q to one of them).
    Venutius wrote: »

My vote's for an adaptation of Moonraker set in 1955 and filmed in black and white. Even if it was only on streaming, to distinguish it from the films. Bezos could finance it out of pocket change tomorrow and not miss it. Probably.

It's the one which makes the most sense as it's fairly low budget, but my goodness there's a lot of bridge to get through.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    EON would lose so much money from a period film though. It would probably end the franchise.
    That's why it'd have to be lower budget, on streaming and clearly distinguished from the EON film series. So it'd be there for a hardcore that wanted it, but wouldn't interfere with general audiences. Not that it'll ever happen - this is wish-fulfilment stuff, obvs.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Since62 wrote: »
    "... Villain plots will likely have to do with geo-engineering, viruses, migration, energy production, water supply, and/or American businessmen, US intelligence, and rogue elements from vaguely Russian backgrounds. I predict we will get a climate terrorist..."

So much for Escapism !

Seeing someone actually solve a problem is probably plenty of escapism from our reality.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    That's why it'd have to be lower budget, on streaming and clearly distinguished from the EON film series. So it'd be there for a hardcore that wanted it, but wouldn't interfere with general audiences. Not that it'll ever happen - this is wish-fulfilment stuff, obvs.
    I get you, but I just think for them to do so, I feel they'd end up suffering financially and end up having to make cheaper films because they have no choice. EON have to be really careful as James Bond is the only thing they've got. It's not like they can rest on the laurels of other Marvel films.

Also, not to mention, the content of those novels. For example, if they did Live and Let Die? They'd have to take some creative licence, and therefore would probably end up adapting it just as the original adaptation did.
    Indeed so, Denbigh. We're never going to see anything even resembling period-set adaptations for exactly the reasons you've highlighted. Good call.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Indeed so, Denbigh. We're never going to see anything even resembling period-set adaptations for exactly the reasons you've highlighted. Good call.
    Thanks. I hope no-one thinks I'm trying to "smash their dreams", I just like to have these discussions and feel while obviously it'd be cool to see the novels on screen, there are so many reasons why they almost definitely won't.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I feel like the "novels on screen" would look a lot like CR '54.

Does anybody really want that, or are they just saying that they do?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Actually, just wondering, how popular are the novels these days? Beyond us fans.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 2,161
    echo wrote: »

I don't see that as a forgone conclusion. CR '54 was a live, truncated, low-budget television production (though I do enjoy it in that context); not even in the same category. A novel like MR or YOLT can be adapted to look very sleek and stylish on screen, of course it need be in the right hands.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Actually, just wondering, how popular are the novels these days? Beyond us fans.

Even among us fans it's notable that on the front page of this website there are thirty threads and only two of them (that's not off topic from Bond) aren't talking about the Bond movies: and one of those is about the video game. Not a single one about Fleming's books.
    We all like the films. And I would imagine the amount of fans who discovered the books before they saw the films are now a tiny, tiny minority. For most of us, the films are why we like Bond. We love the books too, they're great: but the films made us love Bond first, and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Birdleson wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

I don't see that as a forgone conclusion. CR '54 was a live, truncated, low-budget television production (though I do enjoy it in that context); not even in the same category. A novel like MR or YOLT can be adapted to look very sleek and stylish on screen, of course it need be in the right hands.

Have you been to Dover? ;)
    I had a choice of spending two days in Dover or Oxford, and I chose Oxford. So no.