RIP Patrick Macnee

2»

Comments

DRush76 wrote: »
    Very sad news. A true British icon and one of the few highlights of AVTAK plus he appeared in the Oasis video to Don't Look Back in Anger". I absolutely love his narration in all the Bond Making of... Docs on the dvds. What a sad couple of weeks or so with this and the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. both 93. Lives well lived to say the least.

I find it a little ironic that both Macnee and Lee appeared in the 1989 version of "AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS" with Pierce Brosnan.

As for Mr. Macnee, he will be missed. RIP sir.

I need to re watch that one.
    Well I know Patrick Macnee in a lot of roles beside him as John Steed. I remember in Battlestar Glaticca, a lot TV show in America. He did play as the Head of UNCLE in the Return of The Man From UNCLE. He was the narrater of the Documentaries of James Bond DVDs From Dr.NO. I remember his voice. He also starred opporsite Ralph Fiennes The movie version The Avengers with Uma Thurman as Emma Peel. He was playing a invisible man Ralph Fiennes reprise Patrick role as John Steed. That movie where Sean Connery play the Villain. He had a great life & Career. RIP Sir Patrick Macnee.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I was just remembering that both Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee starred
    Together as Holmes and Watson in a couple of films, and they have now
    Passed on, so close together.

I noticed 'Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady' on tv just recently.

R.I.P. Patrick.

steed.jpg
    Another one I need to (re)watch.
    I wish we had seen more of Tibbett in AVTAK. Maybe in subsequent movies actually had he survived. But I guess there was too little for his character to do.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I loved his turn in AVTAK. Macnee and Moore had great chemistry on screen and it, for me, was one of the best things of the movie.
    R.I.P. John Steed, passing of another icon.
    I loved his turn in AVTAK. Macnee and Moore had great chemistry on screen and it, for me, was one of the best things of the movie.

I love the bit when Bond enters his hotel bedroom with Tibet behind him struggling with the suitcases

"well don't stand there panting Tibbet start the unpacking. Here let me help you"

*takes umbrella from under Tibbet's arm*

:))
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Sad to hear, the man was a British Icon, not just for The Avengers, for AVATAK he also featured in the video for the massive Brit pop hit Oasis - Dont look back in Anger and as Sir Dennis in This Is Spinal Tap. An old School English gent RIP
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I love the bit when Bond enters his hotel bedroom with Tibet behind him struggling with the suitcases

"well don't stand there panting Tibbet start the unpacking. Here let me help you"

*takes umbrella from under Tibbet's arm*

:))

Haha, yes. A brilliant scene. Makes me laugh every time.
    Just reading Macnee's obituary in The Times. I think it's interesting that he...a fellow Etonian felt the way he did about Fleming's version of Bond:

"I found him perfectly repulsive, sadistic and disgusting...the very antithesis of Steed"

Rather harsh I feel but he obviously had his views. Maybe that's why he favoured starring alongside Moore's more likeable portrayal.
    Just reading Macnee's obituary in The Times. I think it's interesting that he...a fellow Etonian felt the way he did about Fleming's version of Bond:

"I found him perfectly repulsive, sadistic and disgusting...the very antithesis of Steed"

Rather harsh I feel but he obviously had his views. Maybe that's why he favoured starring alongside Moore's more likeable portrayal.

I wonder how he would have done starring next to Dalton. Had Tibbett survived...
    R.I.P. Sir Patrick Macnee. Really liked to watch The Avengers and his role in AVTAK was definitely a highlight of this movie. Time flies but not especially for John Steed and Emma Peel: what a chemistry with Diana Rigg
    [img][/img]281651macneerigg.jpg
    On True Drama channel in the UK at the moment there is an episode of the Avengers that has Christopher Lee as a guest star. It's heartbreaking to watch knowing they have both just left us.
    On the contrary. For those 60 minutes they have come back to life.
    On the contrary. For those 60 minutes they have come back to life.
    That's a great thing to say.