RIP Patrick Macnee

JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
edited June 2015 in Actors Posts: 4,151
I wasn't sure on starting a new thread but as he is a much loved actor I thought it appropriate.

It seems we have lost another great in Patrick Macnee. RIP.....

www.patrickmacnee.com

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This has now been reopened
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sad news indeed, I grew up watching Patrick as Steed and Roger as the Saint.
    So a big Thank you to Patrick Macnee for all those many,many hours of enjoyment
    And adventure.
    RIP Patrick Macnee.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Loved his turn in AVTAK. Very sad, a great actor.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Devastating news. A brilliant actor, and made for a wonderful Sir Godfrey Tibbet. RIP.
    Poor old Roger. His friends and colleagues on Bond seem to be passing away at the moment.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm very sorry to hear this.

He was an extremely charismatic actor and man. Legend is not good enough a word to describe him. I've always admired the way he presented & conducted himself. One of the last old school British gents.

I recently purchased and watched Season 5 of the Avengers on Blu. It was brilliant and so was he. His chemistry with Diana Rigg was amazing, and I'm sure it influenced the Bond producers (after all, two Avengers alumni went onto Bond).

Thanks for your amazing contributions to film and tv. RIP sir.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It seems like every week a Bond alumni dies. So very sad to hear about this. I can't bear to think what Sir Roger is feeling right now. He was brilliant in AVTAK as well as his narration on the "making of" films on the Blu-Rays. Loved the chemistry Roger and him had on-screen. Poor old Tibbet, always bowing to Bond's every need.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    A-View-to-a-Kill-James-Bond-Lois-Maxwell-Roger-Moore-Desmond-Llewelyn-Patrick-Macnee-Robert-Brown.png

So now from this picture, only Sir Rog is still alive. RIP Mr. Mcnee :(
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    RIP. Loved his Sir Godfrey Tibbett in AVTAK. And of course John Steed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP Patrick Macnee. Another great actor passed away...
    Gutted to lose ANOTHER icon of the small and big screen. RIP.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I was just remembering that both Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee starred
    Together as Holmes and Watson in a couple of films, and they have now
    Passed on, so close together.
    I was named after him. What a gent. With Purdey and Emma Peel, just TV gold. From a era that seems to have slipped away. Straight onto Amazon to order some more DVDs
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Never liked AVTAK very much but his byplay with Roger Moore was certainly one of the film's strengths. Incredibly charismatic on The Avengers as well.

Also thought he did a magnificent job narrating those Behind the Scenes documentaries on the Bond films.

RIP.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    I've been going through the Avengers series and will be sure to watch an episode tonight. One of my favorite and more underrated allies in Sir Godfrey Tibbett. RIP Patrick Macnee
    Loved "The Avengers" especially with Diana Rigg. Will be watching a few over the weekend. RIP.
    He was one of the few things I loved about AVTAK. He was legendary in The Avengers, a great actor, as well as a great ambassador of British culture. An anecdote I'd like to share: I remember my parents telling me about his character in The Avengers before I ever watched the series. First saw an episode in Paris with my family, it was so good we watched it until the end before going to see the Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe or whatever we saw that day. This is the kind of attraction he had on people, of all generations.

He was also one of the few great things about the uneven Howling.
    Very sad news. A true British icon and one of the few highlights of AVTAK plus he appeared in the Oasis video to Don't Look Back in Anger". I absolutely love his narration in all the Bond Making of... Docs on the dvds. What a sad couple of weeks or so with this and the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. both 93. Lives well lived to say the least.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Very sad news indeed regarding the passing of Patrick Macnee. The character of John Steed so brilliantly played by Macnee was in many ways like a upper class version of Bond, which only Roger Moore's interpretation of the role really delivered on in full. That's why it was so great to see the old TV stars together in AVTAK and as others have said, it was a highlight of the film!
    Loved Sir Patrick. Sorry to hear this. RIP
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Yet another piece of bad news. As with others, I found Patrick Macnee to be one of the assets of AVTAK. Playing the butler to Bond was some inspired casting, and the chemistry between Moore and Macnee is wonderful.
    His narration on the SE DVD's is also something to enjoy. He was a one of the last true gentlemen of that era. Always seemed like a genuinely nice and decent man.
    RIP.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Not a good year for actors who played in Bond films. He was a bright spot on AVTAK and had great chemistry with Diana Rigg in the Avengers.

RIP Patrick.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 533
    Very sad news. A true British icon and one of the few highlights of AVTAK plus he appeared in the Oasis video to Don't Look Back in Anger". I absolutely love his narration in all the Bond Making of... Docs on the dvds. What a sad couple of weeks or so with this and the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. both 93. Lives well lived to say the least.

I find it a little ironic that both Macnee and Lee appeared in the 1989 version of "AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS" with Pierce Brosnan.

As for Mr. Macnee, he will be missed. RIP sir.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RIP to a great Bond legend, as well as Avengers Icon.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Watching an episode of The Avengers now with a glass of brandy to celebrate his life and memory.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I owe Sir Sean my first name and the wonderful Mr Macnee my middle name. Shame never knighted but I true actor and gentleman I believe.

Condolences to his family..
    I never knew he was the son of a racehorse trainer. That probably explains why he was cast as Tibbet in AVTAK.
    R.I.P Patrick. Another great actor to sadly pass on this year.