Multiple people killed by gunman in an American church

doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
in General Discussion Posts: 11,139
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/17/us/cha...ing/index.html
Several people were killed in a shooting at an historic African-American church in Charleston, South Carolina, a source close to the investigation told CNN. The shooter is still at large.

The shooting took place Wednesday evening at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest AME church in the South.

Police haven't said how many people have been shot. But the source who spoke to CNN said several bodies were in the church that were yet to be identified.

"It's really bad. It's a very bad scene," local pastor Thomas Dixon said.

"Apparently the person just entered the church and opened fire. That part has not been fully articulated on what happened yet ... they are still looking for the suspect."

Police said the suspect in the shooting is a clean-shaven white man in his 20s, with a slender build. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt, blue jeans and boots.

CHxQz1-WUAAS2dx.jpg

CHxke0sWwAAqsxD.jpg

Dylann Roof, 21, of Lexington, SC.

It was also reported that one of the survivors he "let" live so she could tell others "she said that he had reloaded five different times... and he just said 'I have to do it. You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go.'"

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/church-...t-467402819802

This bastard will have to make a ridiculously serious case for insanity otherwise he's getting the death penalty for sure. The kid even has a facebook and everything with his white supremacy and pro-arpatheid trash. This is just so tragic and I feel for the families of the victims.

dylann-roof.jpg?w=736

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/dylann-roof...jacket-1506881

Also had some criminal record trespassing and drugs offence

CHyhVG_WcAAaag9.jpg

Comments

I thought Obama summed it up when he said that as one of the most advanced, developed nations in the world, that sooner or later America needs to face up and man up to the problems of the gun culture there.

Not saying that everywhere else has got it right, but America really does feature regularly on the news for these awful acts of violence and terror. Buy a car for someone's son or daughter, not a gun!
    I thought Obama summed it up when he said that as one of the most advanced, developed nations in the world, that sooner or later America needs to face up and man up to the problems of the gun culture there.

Not saying that everywhere else has got it right, but America really does feature regularly on the news for these awful acts of violence and terror. Buy a car for someone's son or daughter, not a gun!

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The attacker, seems to be the usual white supremacist assh*le, infact
    Just the sort of person the white race could do without.
    “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
    “Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”
    " We must live together as Brothers, or perish together as Fools"
    All quotes from Martin Luther King Jr. =D>
    /\ Agreed!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As has been debated on American TV recently, this is essentially domestic terrorism, and it should be called that and prosecuted as such.

I'm not a violent man, but I recommend the harshest & most shaming penalty for this miscreant.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think what speaks volumes is how so far. Many families of the victims
    Have forgiven him. To be honest I don't know if I could .
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sickening mindset. Sickening deed. Sickening hairdo.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Why would you forgive someone for that??
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I think what speaks volumes is how so far. Many families of the victims
    Have forgiven him. To be honest I don't know if I could .

I'd forgive if and once he receives punishment for his atrocious crimes and if and when he repents. Not before.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It took me a good 3 weeks to forgive my finance department after they paid me 11 days late. Forgiving this murderer for taking the lives of loved ones so quickly is beyond remarkable. I'd really struggle to find it in my heart to forgive.
    This was a terrible act committed by a very mentally ill person. We have had mass killings in the last 2 years in churches, schools, synagogues, museums, movie theatres and shopping malls. America is a violent country where you don't need a permit to buy a gun and all the ammo necessary to hold off the police for days. In South Carolina where the latest shooting took place, it flies the racist Confederate Flag over the state capitol building and the governor is OK with that. Would the Nazi flag be acceptable in any of your countries?

While everyone wants gun laws to change, the National Rifle Assn.(a group of 2M+) holds power over many government officials and instructs them to fight any proposed changes to gun ownership. So, as children are slaughtered and churchgoers are massacred, gun sales will probably be on the rise again and all this will be yesterday's news. Morality takes a far backseat to American commerce.
    But is he mentally ill though? If one can differentiate reasonably between right and wrong and is aware and in control of their actions, surely such a person can't be classed as mentally ill.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    FLeiter wrote: »
    This was a terrible act committed by a very mentally ill person. We have had mass killings in the last 2 years in churches, schools, synagogues, museums, movie theatres and shopping malls. America is a violent country where you don't need a permit to buy a gun and all the ammo necessary to hold off the police for days. In South Carolina where the latest shooting took place, it flies the racist Confederate Flag over the state capitol building and the governor is OK with that. Would the Nazi flag be acceptable in any of your countries?

While everyone wants gun laws to change, the National Rifle Assn.(a group of 2M+) holds power over many government officials and instructs them to fight any proposed changes to gun ownership. So, as children are slaughtered and churchgoers are massacred, gun sales will probably be on the rise again and all this will be yesterday's news. Morality takes a far backseat to American commerce.

Tbh, calling him mentally ill is a cop out. If his skin were dark, he'd be called a terrorist or a thug. But I agree with the everything else you've said.

An NRA board member has said that the churchgoers should have been carrying guns. This is what the debate has come to, that even churches should be places where people carry guns. Even so, imagine 200 blacks, with guns, walking through the streets of Charleston, on their way to church. How do you think that would turn out?
    No doubt it is an act of terrorism.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What I don't like from the media (atleast the media here in France), is what then an attack of this nature is made by a white man, he is called 'mentally ill', 'crazy', 'lunatic'. As soon as the killer has a darker skin, or a foreign name, the tv news channel always start by telling us his religion, and then call him a terrorist. IMO this guy from the Charleston murder should be called a (domestic) terrorist.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    double post.
    I agree on the comments about 'mentally ill' being incorrect.

He was definitely racist, and definitely a killer. His actions are domestic terrorism. He should face the stiffest penalties possible and be set out as an example to other gun toting extremists in the good ole US of A.

We should not try to make excuses for him at all. He was not 'temporarily insane' as in the legal definition. He was just racist and a killer imho.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2015 Posts: 16,330
    He's not mentally ill. This was planned out of racism and hatred. His punishment should be treated equally. There is no forgiving that. He's not somebody who can be fixed after that massacre. There's a perfect place for that thug.
    1394809058000-electric-chair.jpg
    The guy sat in Bible study for a whole hour before he carried out his attack. I mean wtf!?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I am what many call a "gun nut", so you can probably imagine where I stand on the gun issue. But for the life of me, I can not understand why friends and family just shrug off the warning signs. In this case particularly, the shooter's roommate Dalton Tyler stated, “He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself ... [He'd been] planning something like that for six months."

edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I am what many call a "gun nut", so you can probably imagine where I stand on the gun issue. But for the life of me, I can not understand why friends and family just shrug off the warning signs. In this case particularly, the shooter's roommate Dalton Tyler stated, “He said he wanted to start a civil war. He said he was going to do something like that and then kill himself ... [He'd been] planning something like that for six months."
    I'm quite happy he did not kill himself. Death would be too convenient a solution for this individual.

He spent time in Bible study prior to the act according to @doubleoego. He's a young man. He can spend the rest of his life n solitary confinement in jail without parole. He will have plenty of time to further study the Bible and reflect on his 'sins'. Then he can meet his maker through natural causes in 50-60 odd years.

That, imho, would be a suitable punishment.
    Him studying the Bible does not surprise me in the least. The "good book" is not exactly a shining example of peace, love and understanding. So the killer embraced its sectarian aspects. No surprise. He is the Christian equivalent of a Taliban, plain and simple.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Without getting into the moral merits of the bible, the killer himself wasn't studying the bible. He went in to the church where the church goers themselves were engaged in Bible study. He just sat there listening for about an hour and then went off the deep end.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He shouldn't sit in a cage for 50 years getting free food and a roof over his head. He should be put to death. The man killed many people. He should meet the same fate.
    Put the animal down :-q
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yes, sleep time for this one.
    So be it. The consensus seems to be that he is put down.

In that case, Blofeld said it best: "Let his death be a particularly painful and humiliating one"
    I am against the death penalty and remain so for this case. His death would bring nothing. It will not bring the murdered back, neither will it bring any kind of closure to the family of the victims. Vengeance is not justice, even and especially in this case. Neither will it be a deterrent. Put him away and humiliate him by showing his backward ideology being trampled to the ground as it should be.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ludovico wrote: »
    His death would bring nothing.
    It would bring a savings in the cost of his continued incarceration...