The Most Contrived Action Sequences in the James Bond Film Series?

1235»

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I am able to forgive a lot of SF's plot holes, and if you look at my posts, I am not one to criticize the film much, as I enjoyed it a lot. It's one of the best Bond films of the past 20 yrs in my estimation.

However, that train crash cannot be justified on any level. It required extreme clairvoyance and almost ESP levels of precognition by Silva to have been able to predict that he would be followed and set up (one presumes some time in advance) a remote controlled diversion as elaborate as that train. To have it pointed directly at Bond even further stretches the bounds of credibility.

I personally feel that those justifying this particular event are hurting their credibility in being able to defend other parts of this film's plot, where a defence may be possible.

The train sequence stands out for being more poppycock than 'gambit', imho of course..

It may have very well have been Mendes' intention, but the execution was terrible.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the train crash. That was a cool and suspenseful moment.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes Die Another Day was good ! :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Yes Die Another Day was good ! :))
    Well, Brosnan was good IN it....
    ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I was thinking at it in 'James Bond questions thread', maybe the most contrived action/stunt scene is the famous dam jump in GE? Since 10 minutes later, when we see Bond escape from facility, he's still at the top of the mountain, thus it served no purpose for him to bungee jump down the damn thing? :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Perhaps like the Death Star, it was it's only weak point, of entrance ? ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Perhaps like the Death Star, it was it's only weak point, of entrance ? ;)

You're right. But, it was a russian facility. You really think these guys would design and build such impregnable construction? ;)

edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I was thinking at it in 'James Bond questions thread', maybe the most contrived action/stunt scene is the famous dam jump in GE? Since 10 minutes later, when we see Bond escape from facility, he's still at the top of the mountain, thus it served no purpose for him to bungee jump down the damn thing? :)

I agree @DaltonCraig007. I think they just made it up as they went along with that pretitles, because the two sites (bungee jump and plane catch) seem to be from two completely different locations.

I didn't think much of it because I had already been taken out of the moment by the terrible CGI when Bond jumped off the mountain, and even when the title song kicked in and we see the plane with him in it fly by for a victory lap...

For me, the bungee jump was so brilliant that I didn't care that they messed up that ending part.
    @bondjames as a kid i was so amazed by the bungee jump, and the PTS as a whole (as it was my introduction to the Bond movie franchise), it took me years to realise the problem of the facility being at the top of the mountain. The plane jump was amazing for my kid-self, but I even noticed it's imperfection long before the location continuity.
    I have a theory about the geography of the GE pts though I'm basing this theory also with the game itself. In the Dam mission of Goldeneye, you can go all the way to the left end of the Dam and at the end is a blocked off path. Presumably for vehicles to go through. In the Runway mission on the left side of the Facility and the tank, there is also a blocked off pathway. It's possible that these blocked off paths are the same path and that it's just a shortcut through the mountain. Now, I'm the kind of person who likes coming up with rather contrived theories for Bond.

Here is a picture of the Dam used in the film. Now in the film universe The runway could just be beyond that mountain as seen in the picture. Bond may have needed to jump off the damn to infiltrate the facility by going in a place where nobody would suspect.
    img_0896.jpg

But hey, that's only a theory...A Bond theory! Thanks for listening.
    It's certainly plausible @Murdock, and in the Bond universe, that's usually more than good enough...
  • RC7RC7
    I can roll with that @Murdock. At the end of the day, the dam jump is, imo, the last great Bond stunt. The new films haven't even come close to topping it. I'm still waiting to see a one off stunt on that level.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Murdock bravo my friend!! You've made sense of it all! It's just the other side of the mountain!
    Here's the visual proof.
    mOXWoem.jpg

Now I've decided not to include the Facility in this equation because there is no telling how big the Chemical facility was. The film version of the facility is much different than the game version. So within the confines of the Dam and Runway. It's hard to tell how long these branching paths are in relation are to eachother. But I believe this is why the Geography looks strange in the film. :)
  • Will_OnceWill_Once Surrey, England
    Well, yes, it is just about possible that the facility was big enough to stretch from the bottom of a mountain to the top. 007 and 008 infiltrated it from the lower level. For some reason, 007 decided to bungee down to the lower level (where he would be highly visible) instead of sneaking up to it from ground level. We'll give him that one.

Then whilst inside they either climb an awful lot of stairs or go up a very long lift shaft. Which would probably make the chemical facility taller than the tallest building in the world. We'll give them that one too.

Bond runs after an airplane on foot and manages to catch up with it. Okay, let's be generous and say that the plane was only at taxiing speed. And Bond can run faster than Usain Bolt. We'll give him that one too.

And we can just about accept that there would be no way off the runway apart from catching up with the plane. Of course, we do have to wonder why they have motorbikes up there if the only way out is by plane. Maybe there's a hidden road that we can't see.

But that still doesn't get round the basic problem. Bond willingly jumps off a cliff expecting to be able to catch up to a falling plane which has a head start on him. And planes with engines running do not fall straight down. Secret agents do.

But, c'mon. let's be realistic. We are all fans here. We make allowances for stuff like this, and for the comedy Russian accents (Borreees?). We even make allowances for Sean Bean trying his best posh accent.

But the worst sin for me has to be the struggling but macho face that Pierce pulls while trying to level the plane off.