The Most Contrived Action Sequences in the James Bond Film Series?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Also I'd add the dogfight in QOS. Again, that seems to come from nowhere.

Agreed @BAIN123. The dogfight seemed quite unnecessary & shoehorned to me (plus, I couldn't make out what was going on.....which is par for the course with this film).
    Quantum-of-Solace-helicopter-plane-aerial-dogfight.png
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yay another Bond bashing thread ...

Contrived or not every sequence added or attempted to add excitement to the film. And yeah just adding is contrived ..I get it....but without the train sequence in SF would've been kinda ho humm ...its a visual media ..let it be visual ..sure keep in check or you get DAD ice surfing but whatever lol

bondjames wrote: »
    Hands down for me, without a shadow of a doubt, is the ridiculous, contrived, spectacle that was fabricated in TWINE to showcase the BMW's gadgets, Brosnan Bond's running skills, and the Helicopter saw blades. I cringe just to think of it.

twine99b.jpg

I also agree on the ski scene from this same porker of a film.
    ----

I agree most of TWINE was contrived and just thrown in as filler. I had such a feeling of "been there done that" for so much of this film. I had never felt that before watching a Bond film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TripAces wrote: »
    SF The tube train scene and chase, now that whole segment is incredibly contrived. In fact the majority of the movie is contrived.

Gee whiz. The incessant whining about SF on these boards is unbelievable.
    I would not qualify that as incessant whining, merely an opinion. I feel SF is very contrived, its hard to argue against that surely?

It's much harder to make the case that SF is any more contrived than the previous 22 films.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Every scene with the DB5 in SF was contrived to the max. Actually the ejector seat itself was pretty silly and contrived. there's far simpler and more elegant ways to incapacitate a troublesome passenger. Like a hypodermic needle mounted in the seat with something to put them unconscious.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    going through the whole series...

FRWL - the gypsy camp fight... it really offers nothing except progressing a subplot the film really didn't need, and a brief "haha" moment for Grant when he has Bond held at gunpoint.

YOLT - the Little Nelly bit.. it literally does absolutely nothing except allow Bond to get into an air battle.. he gets zero information from this scouting expedition, and the film could've progressed exactly the same without it.

DAF - the police chase down the Las Vegas strip... serves absolutely no purpose to the film.

TMTWGG - the whole karate school part + boat chase.. the school wasn't necessary, and then neither was it for Hip to suddenly ditch Bond when he came to rescue him in the first place.

TSWLM - the whole lotus chase.. while awesome, it's a wee-bit contrived.. i wont say completely contrived though, because orders were given for them to executed once they got to shore, so it's not like the sequence was without a proper setup.

MR - the gondola chase.

FYEO - the hockey fight bit... absolutely no purpose to this at all.

AVTAK - the horse race.. i know why Zorin is doing it (a pretty weak attempt to try and kill Bond) but i always wondered, what if Bond won the race? Would it have mattered, and would he just have tried to kill him anyway?..

but certainly not as contrived as the firetruck chase... not to mention the brilliantly bad police work that sets up the chase, but the chase does next to nothing for the plot.

LTK - the bar room brawl was a bit contrived, but i still enjoy it.

TWINE - trying to defuse the moving bomb in the pipeline

the whole helicopter attack on the caviar factory.

DAD - pretty much the whole damn movie was contrived lol.

CR - the sinking house at the end.

QOS - the boat chase - and the arial battle with the DC3.

SF - the subway car coming through the ceiling at Bond.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,138
    That's a pretty good list.

@bondjames, it's been a while since I've watched QoS, but wasn't it necessary for them to jump out of the plane to find the water being dammed up? So it did advance the plot, in spite of being shoddily edited.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Not really an action scene, but the whole convoluted way to kill Mr Solo in Goldfinger is contrived and doesn't really make sense (but the score's great).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Contrived or not, I have enjoyed them all. I guess I must be a fan ? :))
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,512
    SF The tube train scene and chase, now that whole segment is incredibly contrived. In fact the majority of the movie is contrived.

Gee whiz. The incessant whining about SF on these boards is unbelievable.
    I would not qualify that as incessant whining, merely an opinion. I feel SF is very contrived, its hard to argue against that surely?

It's much harder to make the case that SF is any more contrived than the previous 22 films.

I think it depends on the context. MR is an overblown, pretty outrageous film, so contrivances are par for the course. The films were constructed in that way to some degree. Something like SF takes itself a lot more seriously so its contrivances stand out a lot more. Especially when there's little internal logic to hang it together. When you compare it to the other more grounded entries it's construction is certainly more contrived IMO.

Special mentions:

MR: Bondola chase is hilariously contrived.

TWINE: Caviar Factory is quite ridiculous, although I love the score.

SF: All of Silva's escape. From spotting 'Granborough Rd (say what?) to the tube train'.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Sark wrote: »

@bondjames, it's been a while since I've watched QoS, but wasn't it necessary for them to jump out of the plane to find the water being dammed up? So it did advance the plot, in spite of being shoddily edited.

they pretty much found that by chance.... the point of the plane was to survey the land that Greene had been purchasing up - the only point of interest was noted by Camille, who told James about the sink holes (which seemed to be in numerous quantity).. it wasn't until they fell down one of the sink holes that they discovered the dammed up water........... so, now that i stop and think, i guess the sequence does kind of help move the plot along - it still stands to note, that had they been not shot down, it's unlikely they would've found anything.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The saw helicopters in TWINE were my first thought. How about the fight aboard the burning, crashing plane in DAD? I can still remember sitting in the theater and not quite believing what I was watching. Little Nellie and the space laser battle in MR are ridiculous of course but they are entertaining in their own way. Personally speaking, obviously. The tanker chase in LTK feels contrived as hell at times. Again, it's still entertaining so I don't condemn it. There are more that I'm forgetting but it's really those first two that I mentioned that I can't forgive.
    HASEROT wrote: »

they pretty much found that by chance.... the point of the plane was to survey the land that Greene had been purchasing up - the only point of interest was noted by Camille, who told James about the sink holes (which seemed to be in numerous quantity).. it wasn't until they fell down one of the sink holes that they discovered the dammed up water........... so, now that i stop and think, i guess the sequence does kind of help move the plot along - it still stands to note, that had they been not shot down, it's unlikely they would've found anything.

Yes, that's what I meant. That had they not been shot down the plot wouldn't have advanced the way it did.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 709
    Not really an action scene, but the whole convoluted way to kill Mr Solo in Goldfinger is contrived and doesn't really make sense (but the score's great).

That is pretty bizarre. Oddjob puts the car + Solo + gold into the crusher. And then later Goldfinger says he has to separate the gold. Er...couldn't Oddjob have just removed the gold first to save some time and effort? Or put Solo into another car at the junkyard and have that one crushed? Doh.

And its strange that Goldfinger goes to elaborate lengths to kill and dispose of Solo yet he's just gassed 20 or so goons to death in his house and doesn't seem particularly concerned about disposing with them! Why not have Oddjob throw Solo's corpse in with them?

edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883

@Sark, from my point of view, it just felt shoehorned in in order for them to conveniently find the water facility as has already been mentioned. They get attacked, and happen to fall into that hole that allows them to find the facility.....sort of strains credibility.

Also, regarding contrived scenes in general, for me it depends on how the scene feels or plays out. If it is not properly edited or conceived, then it feels contrived/artificial to me. That applies to nearly everything in TWINE (a shambles imho), the convenient train collapse in SF (which is aimed directly at Bond), the rubbish hockey fight in FYEO, and numerous others that have been mentioned here. So it's about execution.

Although the TMWTGG car chase may have been contrived, it did not feel that way to be because I thought it was wonderfully executed, slide whistle (blame Barry for that one, uncharacteristic mistake) and all.....
  • RC7RC7

@Sark, from my point of view, it just felt shoehorned in in order for them to conveniently find the water facility as has already been mentioned. They get attacked, and happen to fall into that hole that allows them to find the facility.....sort of strains credibility.[/quote]

Agreed. Just because something appears to advance the plot doesn't mean it's not contrived. QoS struggles because Forster had already decided he was going to base his action scenes around the four elements, irrespective of the story. Hence we have an aerial scene that is there first and foremost to service his creative wishes. I find most of the action in QoS pretty contrived for this very reason.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Whaaat??! @-)
    TSWLM's Lotus scene is quintessential (cinematic) Bond. Contrived, ok yes it is a bit, but nowhere near as much (or as badly) as that awful ski chase in TWINE. That really takes the cake for me.
    And Goldfinger, for all its praise, is one of the worst offenders with the iconic but very staged DB5 factory chase.

But let’s be honest – almost ALL of the Bond films feature heavily contrived action set pieces that feel very staged. The formula was really beaten to death during Rog’s years: 007 meets main villain – villain commands his inexplicably incapable henchmen to set up several elaborate attempts to get rid of Bond whilst making it look like an ‘accident’… instead of just having a sniper finish him off.

I’d have an easier time listing the ones that feel fluent and spontaneous:

- FRWL’s Orient Express fight. Really well woven into the fabric of the story and feels like the natural coming together of the two adversaries
    - TLD’s Aston Martin chase scene UP UNTIL the self-destruct, of course. Despite some clumsily written dialogue it feels natural that Bond would get Kara out of the Eastern-Block that way as there is little time to plan anything else (and the Austrian border is very near Bratislava).
    Many of the action sequences in the Brosnan Bond films seem like good candidates here, especially the many in TWINE. They seem designed to cater to people with cinematic A.D.D., who can’t sit through more than 15 minutes of story without some action.

To me, the most contrived of all is the boat chase in TWINE. In a perfect world, that pre-titles sequence would have ended right where it should have: after Bond rappelled down the building with the chord. We wouldn’t have had to sit through a Moneypenny scene, an M briefing scene, AND a bloated chase scene ALL BEFORE THE TITLES. Ugh.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Are we saying "contrived" as synonymous with "unnecessary" or with "gratuitous"? Or both?
    Are we saying "contrived" as synonymous with "unnecessary" or with "gratuitous"? Or both?

i think its a little of both.... my list of contrived moments mostly falls under the unnecessary category.
    Every action scene in twine
    Goldeneye Tank chase. Contrived and boring.
  • RC7RC7
    Chang wrote: »

Sacrilege.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    RC7 wrote: »

Sacrilege.

I think @MajorDSmythe's speargun is needed here. ;)
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883

Much as I love that film @Chang, I'll have to agree with you.... that scene was contrived certainly, but it was a celebratory "James Bond moment" (i.e. Bond doing something only Bond does) the likes of which we'd not seen for years in 1995 (especially after LTK's seriousness)....so I think most of us forgave it.

I'm sure we wouldn't have been so forgiving if Sera's original tragic score for this scene (thankfully deleted by EON) was included.

Tragic is a mild way to put it! My brain almost exploded as per Mars Attacks trying to comprehend what I'm hearing...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2015 Posts: 16,333
    It's not that bad. I like driving to places, listening to it. But this is the real deal. ;)
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 107

Much as I love that film @Chang, I'll have to agree with you.... that scene was contrived certainly, but it was a celebratory "James Bond moment" (i.e. Bond doing something only Bond does) the likes of which we'd not seen for years in 1995 (especially after LTK's seriousness)....so I think most of us forgave it.

I'm sure we wouldn't have been so forgiving if Sera's original tragic score for this scene (thankfully deleted by EON) was included.

That's sounds good! 80's industrial. They should have kept it, maybe I would have liked the scene more.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    That's sounds good! 80's industrial. They should have kept it, maybe I would have liked the scene more.

sorry, but it sounds like a chimp having a tantrum on an old casio keyboard.... ick.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Surely any sequence after Q hands over a gadget is " contrived " ? After all
    We then know a chase or action scene has to be put in, so it can be used. Meaning
    All chases etc since FRWL have been contrived ? :D