I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I noticed how 2 Connery films 'announce' the main location of their immediate successor:

Dr No proposes turkish cigars to Bond (FRWL is set mainly in Istanbul), and Pussy Galore mentions she want to retire to the Bahamas (which is TB's main location).

Probably means nothing, but it's pretty cool.
    Yes I think that's completely coincidental, but fun as well.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,554
    DC's Bond films end with a villain either crawling on the ground, or going to his knees.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Not to mention the infamous "Thank you." He might be the most polite version of Bond of all.

I love DC's way of saying it. He does the same thing in Enduring Love and TGWTDT. Just has that short, rhythmic "Thank yeww." Just beautiful.

OK, on to to something I just noticed, that I am embarrassed (but not too proud) to admit:

I just watched DN and FRWL back-to-back for the first time. For some reason, I neither noticed nor ever read that Sylvia (Eunice Grayson) is the woman in the boat when we first see Bond in FRWL. How this escaped me all these years is a mystery, even with the line about "going off to Jamaica." I just never connected them.
    Yikes that is a big one to miss, that is like misiing Bond's name at the beginning of Dr No to me. :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, I felt that way when I realised that call back to FRWL in YOLT.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I just noticed last night while watching the SE DVD of The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) that the captain (?) that fatefully tries to launch an assault on the barricaded Control Room on the Liparus calls one of the sailors that comes along with him "Purvis". I thought this was slightly amusing given how Purvis and Wade have been writing Bond films (along with others) since The World is not Enough (1999). :D
    In a way, the villains in SF and SP both enter exit similarly. Bond is in a chair with Silva standing above him with the ending having them switch places as Silva limps toward hI'm and collapses to his knees. Blofeld is first seen at the funeral but walks away from Bond and at the end it is Bond walking away from him.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,386
    I just watched DN again for the first time in quite some time. The line was so quiet and such a throwaway remark that I had to rewind it and make sure my ears weren't playing tricks on me. Bond is speaking to Honey on the beach while they're hiding with Quarrel. Before they run for better cover, Bond says to Quarrel "fetch my shoes". Did I miss something? You hired this guy to take you in his boat out here and at first he was reluctant to do it. Quarrel only agreed to help you out of the goodness of his own heart --he wasn't going to go to the island with the "dragon". And now "shoe fetching" has suddenly become part of his job duties? Man, if I was Quarrel I would tell you to go hump a coconut "underneath the bamboo tree".
    IMO, Bond isn't smiling during the belly dance of FRWL. It's actually Sean Connery out of character clearly enjoying himself. It has to be an outtake of some kind - look at Kerim next to him, all the actors at that table seem to be enjoying the dance instead of 'acting'. It must the most genuine moment in the entire franchise. Just for this scene alone I could rewatch FRWL everyday.

@DaltonCraig007 I'm watching the film now and actually came to post about this. Yes I agree completely. I think Terence Young may have been entertaining the crew off camera when they didn't realize the camera was rolling. Those appear to be genuine reactions. What a great moment!
    That's quite a famous line. Sign of the times unfortunately. Not exactly the 007 movies' finest hour.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DaltonCraig007, @josiah, I remember bringing that up a few years back when I was giving my thoughts on why I love FRWL too. I love that belly dance scene. Sean is so "in it" throughout and to see such genuine magnetism shared between him and the dancer and then that shot of him getting a kick of it all with Bond laughing with Kerim and his friends really aided in nicely developing their friendship. It hurts all the more when Kerim dies, having already seen him and Bond work together so well. ;)
    @DaltonCraig007, @josiah, I remember bringing that up a few years back when I was giving my thoughts on why I love FRWL too. I love that belly dance scene. Sean is so "in it" throughout and to see such genuine magnetism shared between him and the dancer and then that shot of him getting a kick of it all with Bond laughing with Kerim and his friends really aided in nicely developing their friendship. It hurts all the more when Kerim dies, having already seen him and Bond work together so well. ;)

The strongest Bond/Ally relationship is definitely Bond and Kerim, in both the books and the films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    tanaka123 wrote: »

The strongest Bond/Ally relationship is definitely Bond and Kerim, in both the books and the films.

I agree, and I've only enjoyed Bond and Mathis as much (Wright's Felix too).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just noticed how every 1st or 2nd film of each decade have train sequences: FRWL, LALD, OP, GE, CR, SF. And while watching GE yesterday, I noticed that Canada is featured in the debut film of the last 4 actors: LALD with the word 'Canada' seen in the UN sequence, TLD with the Canadian flag on the Universal Exports building, GE with the Canadian flag on the admiral's ID card, and CR with a Canadian flag on the Ocean's Club.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    What sharp little eyes you have! :D
    Dr No is one of my favourite films. I've seen it over 100 times. So how is it, exactly, that it has taken until today for me to notice that Miss Trench isn't playing golf with real golf balls? Explain that one!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bond had been seeing a lady from Bangkok, so he only had a few ping pong
    balls lying about ! :D
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    They don't look like ping pong balls either..
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Perhaps they've been squeezed ? ;)
    Balls!
    They look like the plastic balls you get for your cat to play with. Did Bond have a cat in the books?
    Nope, only a Scottish housekeeper named May who makes an excellent breakfast.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Perhaps Sylvia is in fact Blofeld in disguise?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    They look like the plastic balls you get for your cat to play with. Did Bond have a cat in the books?

Yes.

It was stolen by Blofeld when it was a kitten.
    And it has been trained to kill Bond!

Yes.

It was stolen by Blofeld when it was a kitten.

Or should that be adopted?! :D
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,809
    It was a funny joke and all but no need for me to post it twice.
    I hear this is the basis of P&W's first treatment for B25. Bond wants revenge for Franz taking his pussy when they were kids.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 17,809
    I hear this is the basis of P&W's first treatment for B25. Bond wants revenge for Franz taking his pussy when they were kids.

Yes, and wouldn't that be great character motivation right there, Wiz? ;)
    I thought Blofeld was asexual?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, and would't that be great character motivation right there, Wiz? ;)

Probably best not to even joke about it. Nothing would surprise me any more.
    royale65 wrote: »
    I thought Blofeld was asexual?

Well he certainly was in Thunderball. Fleming tells us so. However, he had the badge of tertiary syphilis on his nose in OHMSS and one wonders how he got it. He also had his female companion Irma Bunt in the OHMSS and YOLT novels. Hard to say if their relationship was sexual or not though. John Gardner (in For Special Services, 1982) of course gave Blofeld a daughter who said her mother was some French whore, but we don't have to take that as canon as it is of course only a mere continuation novel.