I've never noticed that before...

Comments

In DAF, when Bond meets Leiter at the airport, Felix says "so long, James" and closes the casket... Later, when they meet again at the hotel where T. Case lies on the bed, Leiter leaves and the same audio line is used! Just check it out!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Sark wrote: »
    Really? That's one of the most classic lines in GF. It honestly seems a bit strange, because it makes Bond sound a bit like a fuddy duddy. In 1964 I don't think the Beatles has reached the artistic heights they would, so they were primarily known as a band popular with young girls. It'd be like Craig saying "that's as bad as listening to One Direction without earmuffs."

EXACTLY. When I first saw GF (about age 13) I didn't think much of it, but having since become an aficionado of classic rock & pop to a great degree the line just feels utterly jarring - how on EARTH could Bond think that The Beatles output up until early 1964 was worth listening to with a pair of expensive earmuffs??
    If this line had appeared after The White album (’68) or even Rubber Soul (late ’65) I would have been fine with it…. But ‘Can’t buy me love’? You don’t need earmuffs for that claptrap.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,874
    AceHole wrote: »
    EXACTLY. When I first saw GF (about age 13) I didn't think much of it, but having since become an aficionado of classic rock & pop to a great degree the line just feels utterly jarring - how on EARTH could Bond think that The Beatles output up until early 1964 was worth listening to with a pair of expensive earmuffs??
    If this line had appeared after The White album (’68) or even Rubber Soul (late ’65) I would have been fine with it…. But ‘Can’t buy me love’? You don’t need earmuffs for that claptrap.

Er, I think you are a bit confused @AceHole - earmuffs are for keeping your ears warm and dulling sounds, earphones or headphones are for listening to music! Bond is being a bit of an old fuddy duddy here and not really hip, as a young(ish) man would have been in the swinging 60s. A more apt line might have been, "My dear girl, some things are just not done. Like eating oysters when there's an R in the month!"
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Surely you have that backwards Lancaster.oyster season is September thru April.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondjames wrote: »
    I watched my Bluray copy of GF yesterday. It's a film I've not seen for many years, and my first time on Blu.

I noticed that when Bond fires the grappling hook in the pretitles it doesn't actually come from his gun, but rather from somewhere at the bottom of the screen.

grapple-hook.jpg

If you watch closely at Bond's backpack, you can see it wiggle a bit as the rope shoots towards the wall.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,874

Don't know about that, only that it is an old saying, and one Bond would have been aware of. I've had oysters (live) and it's not all it's cracked up to be. Just like swallowing some slimy sea water…but then I didn't have a Dom Perignon '53 to wash it down with!

from wikipedia:

"It was once assumed that oysters were only safe to eat in months with the letter ‘r’ in their English and French names. This myth is based in truth, in that in the Northern Hemisphere, oysters are much more likely to spoil in May, June, July, and August. In recent years, pathogens such as Vibrio parahaemolyticus have caused outbreaks in several harvesting areas of the eastern United States during the summer months, lending further credence to this belief."

Ah, it seems I got it back-asswards, should say "like eating oysters without an R in the month" - glad he didn't take my advice. "You've just killed James Bond!" :-(
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

from wikipedia:

"It was once assumed that oysters were only safe to eat in months with the letter ‘r’ in their English and French names. This myth is based in truth, in that in the Northern Hemisphere, oysters are much more likely to spoil in May, June, July, and August. In recent years, pathogens such as Vibrio parahaemolyticus have caused outbreaks in several harvesting areas of the eastern United States during the summer months, lending further credence to this belief."

from wikipedia:

Which reminds me i haven't eaten oysters in ages. Not since 2012 I think.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I'm from a place where oyster roasts are a common occurrence, that's the only reason i knew.
    I'm longing for September now...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    in both of the gunbarrels for QOS and SF, Craig turns and fires at the 0:07 mark
    It only struck me in recent year that Mr Angelo's name in TB was taken from Domino's brother in the novel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HASEROT wrote: »
    in both of the gunbarrels for QOS and SF, Craig turns and fires at the 0:07 mark

That is very neat.

That is very neat.

...and INCREDIBLY nerdy :p
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

That is very neat.

Yes, thanks @haserot. I can't say I knew that.
    Oh I just remembered this one. in the end hotel action scene of QOS, as Greene is fleeing from Bond and Elvis gets caught in the explosion, his PANTS get completely blown off by the blast!
    Just noticed there's a stag statue on top of the French Chateau in TB pts that looks identical to the one on the gates of Skyfall.
    yogi1 wrote: »
    Just noticed there's a stag statue on top of the French Chateau in TB pts that looks identical to the one on the gates of Skyfall.

Yes, that was an intentional reference.
    In the Bahamas, the guy who plays poker next to Dimitrios has glasses, a goatee and a stupid smile.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great piece about the watch in CR. =D>
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    In the opening scenes of TWINE:

2. The amount of money Bond gets for Sir Robert King is 3,030,303.03, which at the current exchange rate (in 1999) was an even $5,000,000.00

How'd you miss this one when it's a plot point?
  • Big_GeeBig_Gee Wales
    OHMSS has been on television in the U.K. a few times in the last week or so and I noticed when Bond is abducted and taken to Draco's - the cleaner, a man of reduced height, is whistling the Goldfinger theme. It is also not the only musical cue used from a previous Bond film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Big_Gee wrote: »
    OHMSS has been on television in the U.K. a few times in the last week or so and I noticed when Bond is abducted and taken to Draco's - the cleaner, a man of reduced height, is whistling the Goldfinger theme. It is also not the only musical cue used from a previous Bond film.

That's a great observation. I had no idea.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    edited June 2015 Posts: 757
    Peter hunt mentions it in his commentary. You also see Peter hunt walking in the reflection of the window outside universal exports at the very beginning of ohmss

2. The amount of money Bond gets for Sir Robert King is 3,030,303.03, which at the current exchange rate (in 1999) was an even $5,000,000.00

Yeah, I'm not going to defend the plot of TWINE, but isn't this basically the entire reason that Bond knows something is up?
    dinovelvet wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not going to defend the plot of TWINE, but isn't this basically the entire reason that Bond knows something is up?

I dunno. It's not high on my watch list.
    ^#(^
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

it's right in the movie... when looking up stuff on Elektra King, Bond takes the receipt he got from the swiss banker and matches the amount Sir Robert bought the stolen reports for to the $5mil price tag left on a ransom photo of Elektra..

i too don't understand how one misses this - it's plain as day in the film....

it's right in the movie... when looking up stuff on Elektra King, Bond takes the receipt he got from the swiss banker and matches the amount Sir Robert bought the stolen reports for to the $5mil price tag left on a ransom photo of Elektra..

i too don't understand how one misses this - it's plain as day in the film....

Agreed, it is a major plot point and significant in revealing Elektra as the villainess later on in the film.