I've never noticed that before...

Comments

One I've noticed only after a few times is, in FRWL, when Morenzy welcomes Rosa Klebb he touches her arm and she pulls back in contempt and disgust.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think that was one of the ways they tried to show she was a lesbian, as
    In the 60s they had to be very subtle about it. Later she puts a hand on
    Tanya's knee, to see if she's keen on a bit of girl on girl. ;)
    Love these subtle scenes.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I think that was one of the ways they tried to show she was a lesbian, as
    In the 60s they had to be very subtle about it. Later she puts a hand on
    Tanya's knee, to see if she's keen on a bit of girl on girl. ;)

Indeed. In the novel Fleming is far less subtle..
    :)) yes, a great scene and the poor girl can't get away from klebb fast
    Enough !
    The novel's scene could be used in a Bond movies with slightly different characters.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    What makes you think it's my first time !.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    What makes you think it's my first time !.

I mean with an ugly villainess and a Bond girl.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Okay peeps, this is getting spammy.
    Let's keep this on track...please.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    AceHole wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I recently noticed a lot of visual similarities between this scene:
    licence%2Bto%2Bkill%2B03.jpg

and this one:
    crtux-gun1.jpg
    Sure, the context was different, but certainly one inspired the other. Loved both scenes. Something about Bond drawing his weapon in a fancy hotel in a tux with an attractive woman next to him.

Actually that is exactly what went through my mind when I saw CR in the cinema back in 2006... "this feels like Timbo in LTK"

I am currently writing a research article on the use of elevators in the Bond series. Check out this book: Lifted

There is an interesting dynamic regarding lifts/elevators in the series.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    In TLD after Bond delivers the line about scaring the living daylights out of Kara, we cut to an exterior shot of Q's lab. During this shot you can hear a paperboy yell "Famous Russian general defects!"

If you look closely during that scene you'll see a newsstand headline about a blazing Land Rover going over a cliff - of course a neat reference to the TLD PTS. :)

Very cool! Thanks for pointing that out.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    In TLD after Bond delivers the line about scaring the living daylights out of Kara, we cut to an exterior shot of Q's lab. During this shot you can hear a paperboy yell "Famous Russian general defects!"

If you look closely during that scene you'll see a newsstand headline about a blazing Land Rover going over a cliff - of course a neat reference to the TLD PTS. :)

Very cool! Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes indeed, great find. It's similar to the newspaper that Campbell is reading near Piz Gloria in OHMSS, which references the rooftop chase in London that was deleted (or never filmed).

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2015 Posts: 17,786
    I just noticed last night that the doors that hide the Al Capone mannequin in the PTS of TMWTGG say Pete's Garage.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I watched my Bluray copy of GF yesterday. It's a film I've not seen for many years, and my first time on Blu.

I noticed that when Bond fires the grappling hook in the pretitles it doesn't actually come from his gun, but rather from somewhere at the bottom of the screen.

grapple-hook.jpg
    Yeah I had assumed the rope was looped around his belt or something. There's no way anyone was possibly fooled into thinking the rope was literally shooting out of the gun. Just a strange shot that probably should have been cut.
    I always thought the gun fired a thin thread attached to the rope ?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sean Connery is so badass, the rope does all the work for him, he just has to climb.
    Believe it or not, after watching GF so many times, I only recently picked up on the line, "That's as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs." I'm not sure what i thought he'd said, but I didn't get that. This isn't a big catch, just my own lazy ears and lack of knowledge. But still...

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed @TripAces, I only caught that line this time around too (sacrilege I know, but I'm not the biggest GF fan so I haven't seen it as many times as a lot of the others).
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,138
    Really? That's one of the most classic lines in GF. It honestly seems a bit strange, because it makes Bond sound a bit like a fuddy duddy. In 1964 I don't think the Beatles has reached the artistic heights they would, so they were primarily known as a band popular with young girls. It'd be like Craig saying "that's as bad as listening to One Direction without earmuffs."
    @Sark...Indeed, when I looked it up, there has been much discussion on that line; so odd that it had escaped me in the film and in all of the Bond lore I'd been exposed to.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Sean Connery doesn't even fire the grappling hook at the beginning of gf. That's alf joint, who ironically fights with him a few minutes later just before getting fried
    Sark wrote: »
    Really? That's one of the most classic lines in GF. It honestly seems a bit strange, because it makes Bond sound a bit like a fuddy duddy. In 1964 I don't think the Beatles has reached the artistic heights they would, so they were primarily known as a band popular with young girls. It'd be like Craig saying "that's as bad as listening to One Direction without earmuffs."

It makes perfect sense IMO. I always pictured Bond as a cultural conservative and I doubt he liked the Beatles one bit.

When I was a teenager growing up in the 90s, I was listening to Pink Floyd, whatever the bands that were popular at the time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    I watched my Bluray copy of GF yesterday. It's a film I've not seen for many years, and my first time on Blu.

I noticed that when Bond fires the grappling hook in the pretitles it doesn't actually come from his gun, but rather from somewhere at the bottom of the screen.

grapple-hook.jpg

The gun is there in case someone sees him ejaculate.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I have to admit to only noticing something recently, despite having watched LALD many times. Only recenfly have I noticed that Solitaire's cards have 007 printed on the back.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Cool. Would love to get hold of some of them.
    I never noticed it, until reading an Interview with Roger Moore but during
    The escape from the crocodiles, he's wearing " Crocodile skin" shoes. ;)
  • Sark wrote: »

Hey, I resemble that remark...

When I first saw GF as a preteen in the sixties, I was a little confused as to the meaning behind that line as well. I've since realized it was intended as a shout out to a group of peers: "Hey guys, we're the biggest things going in pop culture right now...and we're just a bunch of Brits! Who'd have expected it a few years ago?"

In the opening scenes of TWINE:

1.Bond is being disarmed, with a close up of the P99, but in the next cut, there is also a rather large, polished blade with a drilled handle that was strapped to him.

2. The amount of money Bond gets for Sir Robert King is 3,030,303.03, which at the current exchange rate (in 1999) was an even $5,000,000.00

3. When Brosnan folds the document, he doesn't bother to do it evenly before pocketing it.. well it bothers me.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    game related...

the Zukovsky Cavier logo (which Valentine straightens on the door "is nothing in this place straight").. that same logo/marker can be seen in Activision's Modern Warfare game - I can't remember what level it is - if was even a regular level or a multiplayer level... i remember seeing it and going "hey! Zukovsky's Finest!" lol... note: this was around the time when Activision had acquired the rights to the Bond gaming license, so this was probably their subtle nod to that.