Then and Now; This Week - Spectre

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Then - When I first saw LALD, I don't mind admitting it bored me a little. I would have been around 13 or so and I saw it on tv, with loads of adverts. Maybe that was the problem?

Now - LALD is one of my favourite Moore movies, just behind TSWLM and OP. I think I appreciate it more now I'm older.

Therefore, it's an easy "Now" vote for me. Taking into account the vote above I guess that makes it -

Then :4
    Now :5

Please correct this me it's wrong.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thanks gentlemen. And now onto...

The Man With The Golden Gun

Then –
    I had just turned 11 or 12, and I was a very serious child. Even then I did not like sight gags, or over the top plots, or excessive gadgetry, from my Bond films. When I first watched Golden Gun it had two of my mortal sins, when rating a Bond film. Plus it was so pedestrian.

Now –
    It's always a surprise how much I enjoy Golden Gun. Apart from the middle third, this is a straight-laced film. Kind of like Dr No in its simplicity. Shame about Pepper. And the flying car. My ranking has not changed, but my appreciation of Golden Gun has.

Tie

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Then
    As a 12 year old, I loved TMWTGG, despite its lack of epic battles which is really all I wanted back then. ;-)

Now
    Oh boy. My least favourite Bond film? I dunno. So much wrong with it! Yet so deliciously camp fun! But still, too many flaws I cannot forgive the film.

So :

THEN: 1
    NOW: 0
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Then it was really lame. You wondered if this was the same James Bond who took on goldfinger.
    Now? It's a disgrace to movies. It's the movie the other movies talk about in hushed tones around the camp fire. It does not exist.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw a clip on the tv as an 8 years old Thunderfinger, the scene with the flying car and remember my dad e
    I saw a clip on the tv as an 8 years old Thunderfinger, the scene with the flying car, and remember my dad exclaiming: "I am going to see this!" I wished I could see it, too. But I was too young, and only got to see it on VHS some time in the 80s.

I thought it was ok, but it was only when I watched it with my son in 2008 or 2009, and he exclaimed "What a film!" (He was 10), that I really started to appreciate it for what it was. So now, I guess.

Then: 2
    Now: 1
    Tie: 1

I participated because we're voicing our opinions. You voiced yours, I voiced mine. Do not try to stifle my opinion just because it doesn't match yours
    Oh. Sorry.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883

Then
    One of the earliest Bond films I ever saw on TV, it has always been one of my favourites. I loved everything about the film. It had a strange henchman who was more cuddly than dangerous, a villain who's screen presence and voice was chilling, a dynamic score from Barry, and exotic locations (well.....for me Asia has and always will be exotic). I even liked Goodnight (yes, she was a bit of a dunce, but an adorable & loyal dunce to my eyes rather than an annoying one). Moore was my hero as a kid and this film was one of the ones that made him so. Cool as can be, ruthless when he needed to be (Lazar, Andrea, cheating at Kung Fu, throwing the kid off the boat etc. etc.). I really liked Lulu's song too..

I remember that they showed it again in the UK at some point in the theatre (it was a 2 for 1 with LALD) and my dad took me. One of those great bonding experiences with him, and we had a memorable meal before we saw the films.

Now
    Nothing has changed. It's still one of my all time favs. You want to put this one on and I'm game, any time, any place.

For me, this, along with LTK, QoS, & DAF are the idiosyncratic ones that I love coming back to. A tie.

Now: 1
    Tie: 2
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Then
    As a kid watching Golden Gun as one of the earlier entries of mine into the world of James Bond, I remember enjoying it enormously. The assassin with his eye on killing Bond, the exotic Asian locations. Scaramanga's island was uber-cool. The car chase with the infamous barrel roll. Scaramanga's fun house and the final duel. It was perfectly simple in plot, yet still exciting. The music rocked (though I've never really been a fan of the Lulu title song) The girls were very easy on the eye (and this was before I gave girls a lot of thought). And so for some time this film ranked quite highly. That was before I'd seen all of the films in the series.

Now
    I want to like this film more than I do, because it really does have a lot going for it. It could be so much better. But it's not.
    The plot is all over the place and having the two stories of Scaramanga and the Solex come together in the end is so stupid and lazy, you simply cannot forgive the screenwriters. Whilst Nick-Nack is an interesting concept, that awful bassoon music that accompanies him is annoying. The return of the wonderful Clifton James was a bad idea. In LALD he was fun. Here he's painful. The Kung-fu elements seem tacked on, and the less said about Hai-Fat and his karate school the better. Actually no, rather than kill Bond at Hai-Fats home they take him to the karate school. What are they going to Kung-fu him to death? If they are, then it's not shown very well in the film. Then to add insult to injury Bond's sidekick Hip turns up with his nieces and kick butt. How they found him in the nick of time, despite Hai-Fat owning the place is absurd. Then having Hip leave Bond behind, just to have a boat chase is the icing on the cake of this terrible, terrible moment in the film. And that's just one of them. I'm not even going to discuss Mary Goodnight, because she's not worth the time.
    If the story was as simple as Bond tracking down Scaramanga, and leaving out the Solex element this could've been better. Re-write the Goodnight role. Get rid of Sheriff Pepper, the Karate nieces and the fight, along with the boat chase. Keep the barrel roll, but get rid of the slide whistle, and this is top ten, even top five material. Now though as is, bottom five.

(Knowing how much almost everyone hates the slide whistle in the barrel roll, you'd think EON might give us a special edition version of the film without it. Perhaps one day.)

Then -3
    Now -1
    Tie -2

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Id rather they not do a George Lucas...
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,314
    The man with the golden gun fled across the desert, and the pachazo followed. For years, this particular entry eluded me as only the most skillful assassin could have arranged. Eons later, I realized that i was merely a pawn in his master plan.

Out of all the films from the "classic" era (1962-1989), this is the only Bond flick that I didn't catch in my formative years. I learned from various sources of it's bad reputation and just came to an understanding that i wasn't missing out on much. My opinion of it probably mirrored our unenlightened friend whose only purpose for being here is to denounce Roger Moore and antagonize other members of the forum.

I didn't even catch it in it's entirety until the 2000's. Since then, I have learned to appreciate it's intricacies. Moore, although let down by the script, is in top form. Christopher Lee is impeccable as Scaramanga. It has an odd charm to it that is not dissimilar to Fleming's musings. Yes, it also has it's fair share of unenthusiastic offerings but let's not beat a dead horse.

Instead, let's just appreciate Sir Rog in his prime and leave well enough alone.

Then -3
    Now -2
    Tie -2
  • I first saw LALD and TMWTGG in a double bill in the mid seventies. As I recall, TMWTGG ran first, then LALD. I’ve already given my score (but not my review) for LALD. For TMWTGG I’ll have to call it a tie. I disliked it then, I dislike it now. This brings our rankings to:

THEN 3
    NOW 2
    TIE 3

This is not to say that the film is totally void of charm. Christopher Lee has always had a fine screen presence. He’s one of the greatest movie villains of all time, and is superb as Scaramanga. Herve Villechaize provides a remarkable twist on the role of the henchman. The settings are breathtaking, particularly Scaramanga’s island. But there are Sooooo many objectionable facets to this film that I simply cannot overlook them and come to enjoy the film as a whole. Must I enumerate them? All right, let’s start with the Solex Agitator. Dumb concept, primarily because of the real world implications. Bond solves the energy crisis by recovering the SA. Oil is no longer the precious resource it had become by the mid seventies. All is well; but it’s not, not really. Oil is still (four decades later and counting) the primary source of energy generation in the modern civilized world. This is a plot element that never should have been used, it both dates the film incontestably and neutralizes it irreparably. Then we have the various misuses of women in a post “women’s lib” world. From the abuse Andrea Anders suffers at the hands of both Bond and Scaramanga, to Lt. Hip’s karate nieces, to the irredeemably stupid Mary Goodnight, this film badly misuses every female in it excepting perhaps Mrs. Pepper. Which brings us, inevitably, to Sheriff J.W. Pepper. While Pepper had a valid reason to be in LALD, no such justification exists for his presence in TMWTGG. Simply put, a bigoted cracker like Sheriff Pepper would never take his vacation in Southeast Asia. He shouldn’t have been in this movie. For me, his presence is the third strike against this film, and when you add in the slide whistle, the kid who gets pushed into the river, and all the other questionable moments in this movie, I simply cannot make myself appreciate this movie. Despite all the wonderful elements TMWTGG brings to the table, it is one of my least favorite offerings in the Bond canon.

And now to review LALD. By the time my viewing of this movie was finished, I was finally ready to accept Roger Moore as the new James Bond…but I didn’t find myself enjoying Bond films in general anywhere near as much as I had during Connery’s heyday. Roger was too quick with a joke and not quick enough with his fists or his Walther PPK. Jane Seymour was one of the highlights of the film as Solitaire…but the rewriting of Mr. Big into a dual role as both Big and Dr. Kananga never really worked for me. His death due to an “over inflated opinion of himself” seemed far too cartoonish for my tastes, and the absence of Felix Leiter’s encounter with “something that ate him” was a significant omission to the Fleming purist in me. LALD was a minor letdown for me on that long ago afternoon, and TMWTGG a thorough disappointment. I’d never have imagined that the least popular novel in Ian Fleming’s output was going to provide the title to the film that revived my interest in the Bond series…but that’s getting ahead of the story…
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,151
    Then - loved it as a great fun, movie. J Dubya, three nipples, chew mee, Nick Nack; what wasn't to love by a young lad.

Now - the grown up me sees it as quite silly but with only a few decent Bond moments.

THEN 4
    NOW 2
    TIE 3
    Great write up chaps
  • @Birdleson: I see it through the eyes of a 20 year old Fan (capital F) who takes the object of his Fandom WAY too seriously. Lots of capital F fans can be like that. As Bob Dylan once wrote: "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now..."
    Moving this 'un on tomorrow chaps
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Then/Now – For the first time I saw Spy it blew me away. An unadulterated joy from start to finish. Still holds true even today - I grin like an idiot throughout the film.

A veritable tie
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Just finished watching it as part of my Bondathon, so it's as fresh as can be.

THEN - the first time I saw this film at a friend's house I was hooked on Bondom forever. Epic in all ways (absolutely every way). Jaws, Atlantis, the Lotus (blows the Aston out of the water imho), the locations, Anya, Naomi, Egypt (absolutely freaking stunning), Sardinia, the train fight etc. etc. I remember waiting and waiting to get a VHS copy of my own so I could watch this as many times as I wanted.

NOW - just finished watching it a few minutes ago. It has lost absolutely none of its lustre to me. In fact, it may have grown in stature because its sheer epicness has not depleted. Bach is not much of an actress, this is true, but golly she is stunning in that black dress, and that's good enough for me. Moore does enough acting in this one to keep the whole thing afloat, and Caroline Munro ain't bad either.

This is a tie folks. Great then. Great now. A superlative Bond film imho. period.

THEN - 1
    NOW - 0
    TIE - 2
    edited September 2015 Posts: 45,489
    First saw it on VHS with a pal in the 80s. Thought it was pretty terrific, and had wanted to see it since it came out in 77.

As time has passed, its iconic status has been thoroughly cemented. It is this and GF that have that "legendary" stamping on them. Good fun for people all ages. My respect for it has grown if possible, so I vote now.

Then-1
    Now-1
    Tie-2
    When I first saw TSWLM, I couldn't have been more excited! As a 10 year old, I dug the action, the climax, Jaws, ... This film turned me into a Roger Moore fan. Owning it on VHS made me a slave to the television set. But over the years, I recognised the weaknesses of the movie. I still like TSWLM but far less intensely than 20 years ago.

Then-2
    Now-1
    Tie-2
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,314
    I was torn on this one. Usually, I don't have to think too much about which way I'm going to vote but this one certainly gave me pause. It was almost a certainty that I would choose tie but hold the presses because your friendly neighborhood pachazo has an announcement to make. I have come to the understanding that Spy is one of those special films that I can appreciate more with each additional viewing. Indeed, upon further inspection, this is truly one of the greats.

For the record, I don't think it can touch FRWL or OHMSS. However, it does manage to outfox GF every step of the way, purely on an entertainment level. Controversial? Perhaps for John Q. Public but probably not on this forum. By the way, I am a fan of GF. I certainly don't want to start a pissing match. I just believe that Cubby upped his game considerably and delivered the most enjoyable cinematic experience to date with this epic adventure.

Roger Moore provided us with the finest performance of his career here. Considering the circumstances, it couldn't have come at a better time. Sir Rog has a storied history of delivering in the clutch. In LALD, he did the unthinkable and won over audiences who never thought they could appreciate anyone but Connery. He restored credibility back to the franchise in FYEO. With OP, he took on the Great One and won. At least in terms of revenue. Performances are open to interpretation, of course.

As for the criticisms? Is this a ripoff of YOLT? In some ways, yes. That definitely subtracts a few points. And yet, I believe this to be a substantial upgrade over that film in many key areas. What of the score? Personally, I can dig it. Obviously, Barry is the Einstein of Bond music in every conceivable way. I enjoy this score as something from it's time though. Like Moore himself, I love how every Bond film presents us with it's own unique flavor. I enjoy knowing I'm in the 70's while watching this! It's all part of the time capsule aspect of the franchise.

Does the finale on the Liparus drag? Honestly, it does a little. This is where Hamlisch dropped the ball. It still manages to get the job done though. Is Jaws too cartoonish for his own good? I don't think so. He's so ridiculous in MR that we sometimes give him a free pass in Spy. Still, his larger than life presence provides a good counterpart to Bond's invincibility. It's almost as if this is the moment when the collective conscience realized that only someone who was indestructible had a chance to defeat the superhero that Bond had become.

What about Stromberg? I don't see him as the weak link as others do. Not great but definitely not a hindrance to the proceedings either. Barbara Bach, I have mixed feelings for. While she definitely can be wooden, she also inspires wood. These two things counteract each other as far as I'm concerned. As for the positives, I won't bore you with listing all of the obviously known epic moments. This film is a prerequisite for Bond aficionados. It deserves it's legendary status and has me more convinced than ever that this is a TOP 5 endeavor. Word to your mother.

Then-2
    Now-2
    Tie-2
    This is not an easy choice. For me, this is Moore's finest hour as Bond. I fist saw it in the 80's and really enjoyed it as a young 'un (that car blew me away) and, as I've got older, I still love it as much. I guess I'm going to have to go with a tie here.

Then-2
    Now-2
    Tie-3
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 14,864
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Then
    Being that Spy was the first Bond film I saw, it holds a special place in my heart. It was Christmas 1982, and The Spy Who Loved Me was one of the big films of the Christmas season. We had recently got our first VCR and being able to record movies off the TV was a fairly new thing. At least in our house. I remember being in awe of this film. The opening with the ski chase and going over the worlds highest cliff...and then the parachute opens. The white Lotus car chased by a motorbike...then a car...then a helicopter! Before it finally drives off a jetty into the ocean. Holy smokes.
    Then there was the locations. Austrian Alps, the pyramids of Egypt, Sardinia and a finale aboard first a massive super tanker, and then some crazy but fantastic spider like structure, that raises and lowers into the sea. But that's not all. There were unforgettable characters. Firstly this man James Bond. He looked good. Dressed with style, knew all the right food and drink. The ladies liked him, he was smooth, cunning, unafraid and exciting. Even Barbara Bach was hard to fault as a boy. She looked stunning. She still looks stunning. And how could I write about Spy without including Jaws. This monster of a man. Taller than anyone I'd ever seen, with steel teeth he used to break chains, kill people by biting them. Crushed by falling rocks, thrown out of a speeding train, dropped into a shark tank. He was indestructible, but for the most part scary and effective.
    Yes this film really struck a nerve with me. I loved it from start to finish, and from that day on I was a Bond fan. I watched it over and over. And over the years I saw more Bond films. And I liked the next one I saw. And the next. Until I'd seen them all. But I'd always remember the film that started me on this wonderful journey.

Now
    Having watched this film in the last few weeks, to keep up to speed with this thread I was amazed at how much I still enjoy it. Yes it has it's flaws. But as far as I'm concerned not many. Barbara Bach isn't the best actress. But then Bond films aren't renowned for their leading lady's acting ability. Curt Jürgen's is also a fairly limp villain. Relying too much on pushing buttons and giving orders. He's no threat to Bond at all. Whilst a good actor, and basically being a rip off of Ernst Stavro Blofeld, he's one of the weaker villains of the series. The music has dated the film slightly, but I kind of like that funky 70's disco beat. Along with Roger Moore's flairs.
    On the whole though I got caught up with this films ability to give excellent re-watch ability. It's an exciting, fast paced old fashioned adventure. It never takes itself too seriously. And never hides that fact. It is a truly wonderful Bond film. And as I was as a young boy in 1982 I enjoyed watching The Spy Who Loved Me almost as much now as I did then.

Then - 2
    Now - 2
    Tie - 4

I know it's not the most liked voting style. But I enjoy TSWLM as much now as I did then. Therefore a worthy tied vote.
    Superb gents, superb!

It really is Bond and Beyond with Spy!
    Anymore thoughts before we go on to Moonraker?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,564
    It looks like I’ll have to be the Tie breaker. Not really, “TIE” itself seems to be winning this time around, and rightly so. TSWLM was a great movie upon release and it’s still great. But between Now and Then our score is tied, and I intend to break that. I’m giving my vote to NOW because I’m spending a lot more time examining the Bond phenomenon now than I did back then…and SPY still holds up, wonderfully so, after all those years.

This is the movie that fully established Moore’s Bond as simply being a different take on Fleming’s original character than was Connery’s. There would be no going back to Connery for the Bond series, and beyond that, this was a Bond more suited to the outrageous ‘70s than was Cold War Connery’s Bond. From the moment that patriotic parachute opened, to the moment that Lotus sped off the dock and into the water…from the Pyramids to the interior of that sub swallowing tanker…from Barbara Bach’s Anya to Richard Kiel’s Jaws…it was, and is, easily a Top 10 Bond regardless of who’s your favorite actor in the role.

And by the way: I loved Carly Simon’s theme song too. Nobody did it better than TSWLM!

Oh, and also BTW: Naomi rocks!

Now: 3
    Tie: 4
    And on that most eloquent post by @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it is time to move on to....

Moonraker

Then –
    Before I had my own copy of Moonraker, I asked a friend if I could borrow his. Growing up, I had clear memories of the space battle and the Venetian Glass fight. I was curious to see Moonraker again. So, I and another friend sat down to watch. Just after completing Tomorrow Never Dies for the umpteenth time on the PS1. Naturally we were appalled by what we were seeing. Space age, comedic hi-tech, hi-jinxs, disguised as a 007 film? I was expecting a film with a similar tone to Spy. But not this. No thank you!

Now –
    I watched Moonraker in 2003 after my dog died. I was in need of some lifting up. I wanted to watch a Bond film – my comfort films if you will – but I wanted the movie to be light - hearted. And that is what Moonraker is all about. A fun, irreverent, and most of all, entertaining romp. In fact I'm a fan of Moonraker. Shame about Dolly.

Indubitably Now
    As a kid I was all over MR! It had EVERYTHING I needed: space, action, Jaws, ... Then I realised MR is about as flawed as science education in Arkansas. Still, I nowadays always look forward to watching MR. I love the film's travelogue qualities, the epic music, the impressive effects.

But my feelings towards MR were a lot stronger once.

Then - 1

Now - 1

Tie - 1
    Another film I first saw on VHS in the 80s. It has a lot going for it, but so much more going against it. That was my impression then, and it still is. Back then it was the worst Bond film yet, that isn t the case anymore, so for that reason alone-plus the fact that my kid enjoyed it when he he saw it at the age of 10...I give it a now vote.

Then-1
    Now-2
    Tie-1