FRWL vs OHMSS vs CR vs SF

Comments

JBFan626 wrote:
    Also, the 'foot' combat scene with Rosa Kleb is a bit campy, and I'm surprised more people don't make an issue out of it.

OHMSS also benefits from so many other great moments: Bond breaking the 4th wall in the opening.

How have you been the first person to notice how bad the kicking scene was? Seriously, I thought i was the only person who took exception to it and I'm glad that I now know I'm not.

And also, Calvin would disagree with you about the fourth wall thing ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Those who doubt Connery could do sensitive don't know his catalog. "Robin And Marian" showed me this was well within his range of talent. One more thing about this being a radical departure from his known character- love changes a man and can evoke a side of him no one would believe he had. There are many examples of men who enjoy brutally killing another human being, yet with those they love they are remarkably tender, especially with their wife and children.

The point is he was not playing the same Bond in YOLT that he had previously and it was just the Sean Connery show. Maybe earlier in his tennure he might of done it but after his lazy efforts in Bond 5? Connery did the best thing not being in it who knows what a mess the film could have been, look at DAF.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    FRWL, the series masterpiece.
    Having watched both of them recently & just days apart, I have to say FRWL over OHMSS. In a virtual tie, I must give the nod to Connery over Lazenby.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I'll take CR in this debate, although FRWL is right there with it and it's a very tough call. All 4 are top 10 Bond films for me, which doesn't make it any easier.

I'll take CR in this debate, although FRWL is right there with it and it's a very tough call. All 4 are top 10 Bond films for me, which doesn't make it any easier.

In a way, I'd just assume not try to rank Bond films. Fortunately, well over half of them are at least highly entertaining to watch over and over again and I think it's fair to recognize that individual tastes are going to make people rank the films differently; there's not a right or wrong way to judge them and no one should be denigrated for having a different opinion. Also, it's often the case that our own individual opinions can shift over time. I saw TB again for the first time in years and had once considered it sort of dull. But this latest viewing really raised TB's status with me; while I still think the jet pack in the PTS was a silly gimmick, what followed was one of the better films in the series. I also caught up with DN and it too was even better than I remembered (perhaps the BluRay enhanced my viewing pleasure).

There are six in the series that I really want to revisit so that I can reassess them also, films that I either haven't seen in such a long time that I'm not sure when the last time was (such as TMGTGG) or only saw once and not recently (such as TWINE).

I had forgot this cheeky thread even existed that I made ....as of now (2017) I would have to say its :
    1) OHMSS
    2) FRWL
    3) CR
    4) SF

All excellent films ,which is probably why I chose them,and #1-3 will always change around.
    SF is a great film but cant compete head on with any of the heavy-weights above it here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    1). FRWL (for perfection in execution)
    2/3). CR (up to the last act it rivals FRWL. Venice takes it down a lot though)
    3/2). OHMSS (darn close to CR due to Venice in the former. This is let down by Laz, who can't hold a candle to Craig in CR or Connery in FRWL)
    4). SF (plot holes hurt it, but it's up there on visuals and characterizations).

These aren't my top 4 though. 3 are in my top 5 (the missing entries in this list are TSWLM & TB, and SF is the one that's not in my top 4, although it's in my top 10).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. OHMSS: best action/entertainment film ever => 10/10
    2. FRWL: right behind it, a perfect Cold War spy thriller => 10/10

3. CR: a franchise high for sure, but not quite in the same league as the previous two => 9/10

4. SF: decent but definitely no masterpiece => 7/10
    CR, FRWL and OHMSS are the holy trio of the franchise. Any of these 3 would be more then acceptable to have at the #1 spot.

SF has great characters, performances, cinematography, but is still a huge step behind because of the plotholes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Exactly. They are all top notch Bond films.
    1. FRWL/OHMSS
    2. CR
    3. SF
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. OHMSS

2. FRWL

3. CR

4. SF
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 3,333
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Either way Ohmss called for a more experienced actor in the part. Laz had his moments in the film but even he feels it wasn't a good film to start off with.
    Forgive me, @BAIN123, when has Lazenby ever said: "even he feels it wasn't a good film to start off with"? Never heard that one before.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the producers didn't want an "experienced actor" to takeover from Connery. Just take a look at the other names that screen-tested for the role for OHMSS and you'll not find one experienced actor amongst them.

Here's a photo of the other actors that were screen-tested for OHMSS in case you've forgotten.

Lazenby_5_Bond.gif
    Still don't get the criticism Laz gets. Het gave a top notch performance in my book. I think he was an excellent Bond.

I would even go as far as this: I will always prefer George to Craig.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Of that lot above I'm forever grateful (and quite relieved) that they went with Laz. Phew!
    Neither do I, @GoldenGun. When I think of past Bond movies that could have been better with a change in cast, director/writer, or composer, OHMSS isn't one of them.
    I don't think I've ever wanted another Bond actor in any of the films (and certainly not in my top 10, of which OHMSS is among).

It's just that even within that top 10 (or 5), some performances are better than others, and that's down to what the actors are put through in the films and how they perform relatively speaking, in comparison to others and in the context of the specific film in question.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Skyfall doesnt belong in the conversation with the other three. They are all stone cold classics.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Three of the four are in my top bracket (9/10 based on the ten-point IMDb-type rating). The fourth is OHMSS. But only because of its incompetent main actor who I still think exudes a constant look of stupidity that does not fit the Bond character. With someone else OHMSS might be number one for me. But as it is, the other three (plus GF) surpass it.
    Dr_Yes wrote: »
    In a way, I'd just assume not try to rank Bond films.
    I agree with this statement. I've resigned from ranking Bond movies myself, as they're either "very good", "middling" or "not very good". Very few fall into the bottom category, but a lot reside in the middle one. Both FRWL and OHMSS are top-tier Bond movies. I also praise CR very highly, and for me, it remains the best of Craig's tenure. So, for this particular Bond fan, it's a draw between FRWL and OHMSS, with CR pitching up somewhere below them, and SF stuck deep in the "middling" section.
    1. CR
    2. FRWL
    3. OHMSS
    4. SF
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 OHMSS
    2 FRWL
    3 CR
    4 SF
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    FRWL
    OHMSS
    CR
    SF
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oh dear god…

OHMSS
    SF
    CR
    FRWL
  • This may be slightly difficult for me, but if I were to choose;

1. FRWL
    2. OHMSS
    3. CR
    4. SF (This wasn’t tough because I think SF is overrated)
    3 class films and 1 poor one.
    1. OHMSS
    2. CR
    3. FRWL

4. SF
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    3 class films and 1 poor one.
    1. OHMSS
    2. CR
    3. FRWL

4. SF

Very much agree.

1. OHMSS
    2. FRWL
    3. CR
    ——
    4. SF
  • 1. CR
    2. OHMSS
    3. FRWL
    4. SF

I like Skyfall a lot but I don’t rate it with the other three which are all top 5 caliber Bond films.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    1. CR
    2. OHMSS
    3. FRWL
    4. SF

I like Skyfall a lot but I don’t rate it with the other three which are all top 5 caliber Bond films.

Exactly the same for me and the identical ranking.