Another way to die...was it that bad?

Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 642
Listen to the lyrics of this song and then think of the paranoia our lead character is going through...was this song so misjudged with it's sticato drum beats and dirty guitar? A door left left open, a woman walking by, a drop in the water, a look in the eye, a phone on a table, a man on your side, or someone you think that you can trust? etc. Discuss...

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Aside from you slightly butchering the lyrics, I had no problem with the song. I enjoyed it, though Bond rummaging through the desert as the song plays during the title sequence was nothing special.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    No, it wasn't bad. It was dreadful. It's a close run race between AWTD and DAD for worst Bond song, imho.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Ok but as we search for nirvana in terms of title songs is it really that bad in representing Bonds character at that time?
    As I think of the lyrics, they seem extremely simplistic, and a good bit of them don't really reference the plot in any way.

'Or someone that you think that you can trust, is just, another way to die.' could reference Mathis and the General, or Bond and M with the MI-6 agents, though he wouldn't have been led to his death if he didn't escape from the elevator.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Hmm it's ok but its far from one of the best Bond themes.

Here is one that's far better - if only they had used it in the final film :(

I would have preferred to have that over 'Another Way To Die'.

Forever is more traditionally 'Bondian' than AWTD, but it feels like old hat. Forever would have been more appropriate in say TND. The last three title tunes have taken a rather different approach to a Bond title song to varying degrees of success.

Personally, I like Another Way to Die until the singing kicks in. Neither Jack White nor Alicia Keys do the song justice--it's an assault on the ears once the chorus kicks in--really they should have gotten a better singer. But the music, especially those opening guitar and brass stabs followed by the lone piano notes aren't all that bad, and fit with the fast paced tone of QOS. Jack White did a fine job capturing the Bond spirit musically methinks. But once they start singing "whoah-oh-oh-oh-oh" in unison, I cringe.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "Another Way to Die" in my opinion is one of the few things I absolutely DESPISE about QoS. I mean seriously, "Shoot em' up, BANG BANG? Ahhhh be gone horrid lyrics!
    DAD - meh!

YKMN - good but I much prefer the official version rather than the one they use in the film.

AWTD - meh again!

I think Forever has a real "umph" quality to it and creates a momentum for the film. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that it's "traditionally Bond".
  • At first I thought but it's really grown on me since. As of now I like it.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 2,782
    Another way to die is the best of DA's tenure. I love it. It has drama, theatrics, a dirty guitar riff etc. Love it but not as much as my cricket bat.

This one sucks like a fruit bat in the fruit section of Waitrose. Cliched and a pale pastiche of what was once considered good. SB just go away, you've had your time now just let it go.

Give me Adele please DA?
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Horrendous! The Lyrics don't make sense either!!

It was just an excuse to put Alicia Keys on the label!

Someone at EON said: hey, Let's get Alicia Keys to do the opening song - we don't care what she writes about as long as she sings it!
  • I seem to remember (though I may be wrong) someone mentioning that originally the vocals were to be exclusively by Jack White. Now, I don't know how well that would have worked out in contrast to what we got, but I think the song could have been (considered) great (by a lot more people) had it been the same as the final version sans vocals.
  • Hmm it's ok but its far from one of the best Bond themes.

I agree that this sounds like a pastiche of a Bond tune...I have a hard time believing that this was a "rejected" song like it says on Youtube. Sources for that - anyone official? Sounds like something that someone put together in a home studio, and I also agree that it sounds more like a 90s Brosnan era song.

As for AWTD I quite like the song but have a couple of problems with it. The first is the rather nonsensicle lyrics. I understand how the case could be made that they fit in with a paranoid idea of who not to trust but...just doesn't seem "Bond-y" to me. But the bigger problem is that the song isn't really integrated into the score other than a few moments in the boat chase. If you can integrate the title theme to LALD into the score then it could have been done with AWTD.

• edited August 2011 Posts: 3,494
    @ Major- you are so right. I wonder if borrowing Connery's earmuffs would help :0&

@ jbfan626- I also cringe at "whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh" in unison. I did find it interesting though that Arnold used part of the bridge, that must have been the only thing he liked because he didn't use any other part of this. This is the problem when EON hires one person or persons to do the title song and someone else to score the rest of the film, there is no musical continuity unless the composer gets to do the credits song.
    Another way to die is the best of DA's tenure. I love it. It has drama, theatrics, a dirty guitar riff etc. Love it but not as much as my cricket bat.
    Arnold had nothing to do with writing AWTD.

I'd still take "Forever" over AWTD any day, but agreed that it also is not up to the standards Barry created.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2011 Posts: 7,976
    If it were a song, I'd find it terrible. However, it fails to tick any of the boxes that make music music: as in a melody, proper singing or the right use of instruments (just makng noise and sreaming isn't part of that). They even have trouble keeping a rithm! Alicia Keys is the most overrated artist in the history of the industry formerly known as music industry.
    To quote a popular TV show

Yes, Yes It was
  • Another Way To Die was alright. Alicia Keys is a talented singer.But when she starts to sing the chorus...it's absolutely dreadful!!!
  • It was catchy but yes, I think it was that bad. Easily the worst Bond song imo (although DAD does run it close), it lacks any melody, the lyrics are terrible and White and Keys are just screeching them out.

Shame, because I do like Jack White. I think if he'd been given more time (he had to rush it because they had planned to get Amy Winehouse to do it before she dropped out) and if he did it without Keys, I reckon he could've done a great Bond theme.
    It was pretty bad. Not nearly as bad as DAD, but still it is one of the lowest Bond songs. And I enjoyed QOS, but I will not defend the title song.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,817
    I always pay more attention to the music than to the lyrics, so I don't really think it's that bad. Or better stated, maybe it's as bad as most people think but I like it a little. I mean, it's not my favorite but there are worse songs: DAD, FYEO and LTK.
    I am still not sure why they ever went along with AWTD it is as flabbergasting as the decision to go with 3rd rate CGI in DAD. It defies any form of logic.
    SaintMark wrote:
    I am still not sure why they ever went along with AWTD it is as flabbergasting as the decision to go with 3rd rate CGI in DAD. It defies any form of logic.
    I think it had to do with time: they had to find something quick.
    Ludovico wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    I think it had to do with time: they had to find something quick.

Both are low points in the franchise.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It may well be my least favourite song of the franchise. Even DAD, TB & AVTAK are songs I can get SOME enjoyment out of...
    I still think DAD song was worse.
    AWTD is not too bad at all.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It was catchy

So is herpes.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    ^ :-) As fleming said, Blofeld had a Syphallitc nose. Who are we to grumble.
    I truly believe QOS and the main title song were trying to hark back to a sort of Dirty Harry/Get Carter for the naughties (i know, I hate that phrase) but honestly the the dirty blues on offer here is more misunderstood rather than an STD...surely?
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    I will agree. Their are not of Bond themes that I like some of them bore me half the time with the song. SkyFall is my number one. I do like the Live and Let Die one and also Golden Eye with a few more as well.