"Don't worry, I'll tell the chef ": Thunderball Appreciation & Discussion

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Not sure i agree on that Brady,and Burton in DAF we both agreed was very good and involved,if you dont approve Van Nutter..Linder just stood around with binoculars and then faking his death for a cheap attempt at 'dramatic effect'.

Again, it's not the role of Felix to dazzle us. Linder stares at Bond all film, just like Nutter just sits in a helicopter seat in front of a projection screen.

Every Felix is useless to some degree, but at the very least Felix in GF feels like Bond's old pal, is involved in the plan to stop Goldfinger and is there with Bond to pull him from death in the climax. Felix is an American agent who also has a purpose in actually being in America to stop an operation that threatens the security and well-being of the United States, all while following a lead the American government gave to Bond through him in Miami.

We are never told what purpose Felix serves for the CIA in The Bahamas, and that's because he was just tossed in there to give Bond a random ally. If I had a choice I'd toss Felix out immediately and give all his scenes to Paula, who was a far more interesting character worth exploring. I wanted to know her work history with Bond, what her aptitude was, see her in more sexy outfits, etc, as she and Sean had real chemistry that lit up the screen. Paula clearly fancied Bond, which is something the script could've really developed so we feel for the girl when she's done in.

My least favorite thing about this wonderful film is I have to listen to Nutter mumble and mutter his way through choppy deliveries with an actor who he never works cohesively with and who constantly outshines him. We all have our favorites, but we can't act like Nutter belongs in that movie on a narrative or story level. The script asks too much in that regard, and unlike with Linder, Nutter doesn't have any on screen presence for me to forgive Felix mucking up the works.
    In my permanently rotating top 3 films along with OHMSS and FRWL, TB purrs on many occasions.
    Although underused, i really like Van Nutter's Felix. Cool and mysterious.
    Although underused, i really like Van Nutter's Felix. Cool and mysterious.
    One of my favouraite Felix Leiter's as understated

bondjames wrote: »
    I think Connery would have done a superb job in OHMSS. Laz was decent enough & of course there was a vulnerability to his characterization, but honestly I don't think it's anything to write home about.

He had the privilege of the best score, wonderful cinematography and direction, an extraordinary supporting cast etc. etc. to back him up.

I think Connery would have played OHMSS like Craig played CR, which is to say perfectly. That's just my view on it.

I think that SC being a little jaded would have fitted perfectly playing a jaded Bond, looking towards marriage and retirement. Just a shame the producers failed miserably to get SC onboard - a mistake Babs has carefully avoided with DC. SC himself has apparently since regretted missing out on OHMSS.

If the had done a better job looking after SC and selling him the film - more action, emotion, character depth and fewer gadgets, then an invigorated SC completing his story arc could have been wonderful
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Not sure i agree on that Brady,and Burton in DAF we both agreed was very good and involved,if you dont approve Van Nutter..Linder just stood around with binoculars and then faking his death for a cheap attempt at 'dramatic effect'.

Again, it's not the role of Felix to dazzle us. Linder stares at Bond all film, just like Nutter just sits in a helicopter seat in front of a projection screen.

Every Felix is useless to some degree, but at the very least Felix in GF feels like Bond's old pal, is involved in the plan to stop Goldfinger and is there with Bond to pull him from death in the climax. Felix is an American agent who also has a purpose in actually being in America to stop an operation that threatens the security and well-being of the United States, all while following a lead the American government gave to Bond through him in Miami.

We are never told what purpose Felix serves for the CIA in The Bahamas, and that's because he was just tossed in there to give Bond a random ally. If I had a choice I'd toss Felix out immediately and give all his scenes to Paula, who was a far more interesting character worth exploring. I wanted to know her work history with Bond, what her aptitude was, see her in more sexy outfits, etc, as she and Sean had real chemistry that lit up the screen. Paula clearly fancied Bond, which is something the script could've really developed so we feel for the girl when she's done in.

My least favorite thing about this wonderful film is I have to listen to Nutter mumble and mutter his way through choppy deliveries with an actor who he never works cohesively with and who constantly outshines him. We all have our favorites, but we can't act like Nutter belongs in that movie on a narrative or story level. The script asks too much in that regard, and unlike with Linder, Nutter doesn't have any on screen presence for me to forgive Felix mucking up the works.

Fair point Brady ...we agree on Burton,disagree on Linder and Van Nutter....keeps things interesting haha ;)

I like Van Nutter, but Young's whole business with the sunglasses on all the time shadowing Bond thing was a misstep and one of the problems with the Felix continuity or lack thereof in the early films. And why couldn't he be in the final battle underwater?

But it's also interesting to know he's backing Bond up in the film as well. Maybe before that punch to the gut they may have shown him taking out one of Largo's people tailing Bond to throw more mystery as to who he was.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I like Van Nutter, but Young's whole business with the sunglasses on all the time shadowing Bond thing was a misstep and one of the problems with the Felix continuity or lack thereof in the early films. And why couldn't he be in the final battle underwater?

But it's also interesting to know he's backing Bond up in the film as well. Maybe before that punch to the gut they may have shown him taking out one of Largo's people tailing Bond to throw more mystery as to who he was.

I think that is what Young was trying to give to the viewer...

• In the running for the best female cast.
    Can't even think of second, perhaps OHMSS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    In the running for the best female cast.

On a sex appeal level, I very much agree. A vacation with Molly Peters, Martine Beswick, Claudine Auger and Luciana Paluzzi would make a man out of me.

On a sex appeal level, I very much agree. A vacation with Molly Peters, Martine Beswick, Claudine Auger and Luciana Paluzzi would make a man out of me.

It would be a one-way trip,you would never make it back alive !!

If that was how I would die, I would embrace it more than life itself.

If that was how I would die, I would embrace it more than life itself.
    Amen to that !!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Luciana Paluzzi = Sex appeal.
    Just set up a new TV in my room (a bit bigger size than the last) and decided to break it in by watching the underwater finale of TB. No matter how many times I see it I'm always amazed at what the team were able to pull off, and in such astounding fashion. The second-unit really gave it their all and the shots are composed with such artistry and drama. The divers Ricou Browning assembled for the shoot are equally astounding, as they look like they're really trying to kill each other! I love the little shots in between of Sean/Bond swimming around pulling off the masks of Largo's men and punching, kicking or stabbing them into submission. Those images of divers getting stuck through with harpoons as others twist and struggle with each other all while being circled by sharks will stay with me forever.

This is one of my absolute favorite Bond finales, and very little matches it in terms of technical and logistical prowess.
    Just set up a new TV in my room (a bit bigger size than the last) and decided to break it in by watching the underwater finale of TB. No matter how many times I see it I'm always amazed at what the team were able to pull off, and in such astounding fashion. The second-unit really gave it their all and the shots are composed with such artistry and drama. The divers Ricou Browning assembled for the shoot are equally astounding, as they look like they're really trying to kill each other! I love the little shots in between of Sean/Bond swimming around pulling off the masks of Largo's men and punching, kicking or stabbing them into submission. Those images of divers getting stuck through with harpoons as others twist and struggle with each other all while being circled by sharks will stay with me forever.

This is one of my absolute favorite Bond finales, and very little matches it in terms of technical and logistical prowess.

Well said Brady ,i totally agree,and i hate the fact people say its slow and boring ,without appreciating the hard work put into it .
    I think people can see the hard work. A great technical achievement. I still find TB a bit slow though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    vzok wrote: »
    I think people can see the hard work. A great technical achievement. I still find TB a bit slow though.

The action here is non-stop, especially the underwater scenes. Some call these scenes overlong, thus causing the length of the film to be 2 hours and 10 minutes, quite long, but to me, it's just breathless, pulse-pounding and faithful to Fleming in most part.

Crew also reigns here. Producers Brocolli and Saltzman return once again, as well as Terence Young, the best Bond Director ever. John Barry gives us a beautiful and fast-paced score that mounts up the tension every time.

Overall, probably the most entertaining Bond ever.
    Very few films have its cleverness. It's such a unique and individual Bond film that does things no others have been able to. A lot of that is down to its decision to be the water Bond film to end all Bond films, as the technical achievement in underwater shooting adds so much to it.

It's a film I can look on and say I'm so proud it's a Bond film. I've never seen more thrilling underwater scenes shot, and I've seen a lot of films.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 12,506
    delete!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    TB definitely has some spectacular underwater scenery. I do like the similar sequences in FYEO & LTK as well.

In terms of it being surpassed, the 2005 Paul Walker/Jessica Alba/Josh Brolin film entitled Into the Blue has some outstanding underwater sequences as well. Alba in a bikini is an added bonus.
    1965 v 2005.....i dont think its been surpassed.
    By that token, very few Bond films have been surpassed. I was suitably impressed with Into the Blue however, and highly recommend it for fans of underwater action.
    Thats better \:D/
    In case further inducement is necessary:

http://i.imgur.com/wUnYzdl.jpg
    I don't think TB is slow at all. Or rather it needs to be slow at times for the atmosphere to truly set in. More Bond movies and indeed movies in general would benefit from such pace.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think TB is slow at all. Or rather it needs to be slow at times for the atmosphere to truly set in. More Bond movies and indeed movies in general would benefit from such pace.
    Very much agreed. It's almost a lost art, in this age when one needs to appeal to attention deficit infected global masses.
    Other Bond movies have a sense of place but in TB the settings are truly a character. It also creates genuine suspense in a place as mundane as a health clinic in the English countryside. And I love the constant cat and mouse games that are played both in Shrubland and in Nassau.
    Very much agreed. The pacing and script fits the motive of the film, which was to show the villain's plan in every step as it was juxtaposed with Bond reacting to it. In this day and age where something explosive has to be happening every second, we'd never see a film like TB that builds a narrative and teases tension over time. Modern Bond films also force globe-trotting, so it's just as unlikely we'll see another film that takes place in one location like the 60s films. We never get to know the locations anymore, and I miss that.

A balance needs to be found as it was in the Moore era, where Bond still globe-trotted, but the locations were shot to make you feel there with him as more time was spent inside the various locations.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 489
    In my opinion,one of the quintessential Bond films.

"No, but I know a little bit about women."