Take a seat, have a drink, let's talk! - 013 School bullies: how serious a problem?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    "Fun" fact:

We don t have nuclear energy plants as such here, but a couple of research plants. Breivik had plans to blow up one of them.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's not just Springfield. Even if the US government locks away all our local power plants, we'll throw one up in a third world country that nobody cares about, and call it a "safer environment to make sure nothing goes wrong" or something like that. We're dependent on nuclear energy to some extent today, so we won't be rid of them any time soon.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    "Fun" fact:

We don t have nuclear energy plants as such here, but a couple of research plants. Breivik had plans to blow up one of them.

Yes and the next nuclear accident could very well be a terrorist attack.

Not wanting to give any ideas to the wrong people, but for example, in Switzerland, our air force would probably be still asleep by the time some terrorist has crashed his plane into one of our nuclear plants.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Is this even a debate?

No of course not.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    No, nuclear energy should be radically ramped up.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB12 size=6><b>013
    </b>School bullies: how serious a problem?

A) Be serious, that's not a problem.
    B) Just fight back.
    C) Run!!!
    D) This is more serious than people realise.
    E) They've always been around but that doesn't justify anything.
    F) ...</font>

bullying_alamy_2417379b.jpg

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I was bullied almost daily during my 3 years of high-school. I just 'sucked it up' hoping 'this was the last day of this'. Today I wish I had the strength to have stood up to them back then.
    @DaltonCraig007, I have always wondered if I had been bullied and taken severe damage, emotional and possibly also physical, would I in my adult years go back and try to find those bullies and confront them...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi that's Liam Neeson's job. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was bullied for a long time late elementary through early high school. Fortunately it was 95% verbal. At the time it just stung but after I got home I just shook it off and went back to enjoying my life. I never really did anything about it or said anything to anyone because nobody could or would do anything and I was afraid of confrontations and making things worse. Now as I'm older and more mature, I'd have probably popped those @$$holes in the mouth. But in the end, It's over and I've got new and better things to look forward too.

I'm sad to see it continuing on like this and constantly brushed under the rug by many. I hope something can be done for those who have it worse than I did.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I was the first in my year to go through puberty (the first in my year to have to shave), so I got verbally bullied for that. Like @DaltonCraig007, I took the suck it up approach. And I wasn't what you could call physical (nor did I have a quick wit to win them over with humour), so fighting back was hardly an option. I have no scars, either physical or mental, and see now that I became a man before they did, and that's what they didn't like.
    @Murdock

I guess being afraid of confrontations is part of the reason so many bullied kids never speak up. As a teacher, I can see these things every single day and it hurts. Even in my current capacity I often find myself powerless to act. Usually the victim doesn't want me to do anything or mention anything to anyone out of fear of making things worse. Then still, in this day and age, (anti)social media like Facebook have made it practically impossible to contain the evil. What happens in school simply continues at home... Sadly, it often gets worse, especially when angry moms and dads throw more fuel on the fire.

I will admit that secret revenge fantasies constantly play in my head. When young Michael Myers goes nuts after being bullied in school and just beats the lead bully to his death in Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween, I'm not quite sure I would put all the blame on Michael. Sure, the kid obviously has a few loose screws; he likes to torture animals for example. Also, his stepfather is perpetually drunk and talking dirty to his mother who has to strip for money. I guess the bully got unlucky picking on this disturbed child. That said, he shouldn't have in the first place. The film clearly shows that Michael was provoked, and not once or twice. The bullies were waiting for him in the boys' room at one point and he tried to get away. Yet they kept pushing him... Both ended up as victims as well as executioners of heinous crimes. Now, most people will probably say that bullying is bad but killing is so much worse, ergo Michael is the big evil in this story, far more than the bully. To be frank, I think that what certain forms of bullying do to kids is often underestimated. When every day of your young and formative years is made a living hell for absolutely no reason by some jerks who just randomly pick on others, how do you cope?

Good question. Unfortunately, I have seen kids about to commit suicide and tragically, a few have done so successfully. Others, however, let the pressure build up inside until they explode and freak out, at which point they're just raging bulls. I have had my share of such episodes, but always the latter. At one point, when I was 14, this a-hole (daddy was the town's major and in fact still is) decided to add me to his list for bullying. He didn't get very far. Let's just say that while I wasn't all that physically imposing, a few of my pals were. So in school, he left me alone. But on our way home, different story. For he and I and a few others had to take the train to get back home. One day, on the train, he decided he was going to grab my gym bag and literally throw it out of the train. But my reflexes kept that from happening so he started pulling on the bag. I at that point had grown so tired of his constant attempts at annoying me, I rammed my foot against his leg. Little did I know that my bully had a delicate bone structure, a weak one in fact. So when he started yelling like a wounded animal, he wasn't exaggerating. I got off the train, with my gym bag, but he didn't. In fact, he couldn't. Later that week, I saw him in school with his leg in plaster. What do you know, he had made up a story to explain to his parents how he had gotten the broken leg and I hadn't been mentioned even once. I wonder why. Was it a sense of guilt... or did he realise that I could have told his folks about his constant bullying? Either way, since he wasn't exactly bright, he had to find another school shortly thereafter. I don't know how he's doing nowadays but apparently he spends a lot of time in the police office, which I'm sure Major Daddy doesn't like very much. Once a bully, always a bully - or given our current age, a criminal?
    From my own experience : sucking it up doesn't work. The bullies keep going at it until you crack. Violence doesn't work : adults don't care, and you're getting punished. The only thing that could work is a bullet in the bully. Thank God I couldn't get my hands on a gun at that time, right ? But now, with the advent of social medias, it has become worst. The embarrassing pictures find themselves posted all over the world. Same for the hurtful comments. And bullying can have far-ranging effects in one's life. I can't, for example, hear somebody laugh behind me without thinking he/she's laughing about me. 40/50 years later, it still stings. I'll never attend any high school meeting, that's for sure.
    D:
    I had this happen to me, but i dealt with it entirely with humour and it dealt with 99% of it all. But bullies need to be dealt with.
    There are various levels of bullying that take place in the workplace, school at home. I find it hard to make a generalized statement about it, But there should be a place or a person you could talk about it and perhaps appropriate action to be undertaken. But as we still live in a masculine dominated society I doubt bullying will ever be taken 100% taken seriously or be solved.
    @SaintMark, if I remember correctly, you are professionally involved with troubled youngsters, right? Are you often confronted with cases of bullying?
    Thunderfinger doesn t like bullies, kids. So stop that, be nice.
    Too often these kids are not bullied but are responsible for bullying in some sort of reaction on what they experience at home, in their social situation. And if they feel they can grab some power they are not easily convinced that they should relent such behaviour.
    Bullying is more often a result of an everlasting circle of abuse or bullying.
  • SerialHitmanSerialHitman Plotting my revenge
    When I was 14, I could grow a full beard and I had lots of really thick hair, so my nickname at school was "Sasquatch". I was actually kind of proud of it since I knew it meant I was becoming a man faster than the baby-faced, bare skinned, squeaky voiced teens that were calling me that. But I absolutely agree with all of you that violence and/or sucking it up doesn't work and I hate that some teachers still enforce the "harden up" strategy to bullying in schools, luckily there are only a few of those teachers left. But seriously, that kind of attitude isn't going to get us any closer to solving the problem.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/asia/japan-teen-suicides/

Lest anyone think it's "no big deal" or people should just "suck it up".
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Sark wrote: »
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/asia/japan-teen-suicides/

Lest anyone think it's "no big deal" or people should just "suck it up".

The unfortunate thing will be the people who say "They couldn't take it, they shouldn't have been around anyway." And there will be people who look at it that way.
    Oh I'm sure. The same people that think gun statistics shouldn't include suicides because "thats on them".
    This alarmist chatter accomplishes nothing, let me help.

School bullies who are reading this, I will find you and I will kill you. It is a new schoolyard order.
    This alarmist chatter accomplishes nothing, let me help.

School bullies who are reading this, I will find you and I will kill you. It is a new schoolyard order.

Show them what it means to have a very particular set of skills.
    Here is the answer.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,551
    Going back to one of our earliest discussions about Facebook (and why I hate it):

32BE32A100000578-3519244-image-m-50_1459523183863.jpg

'I'm all over the news': Teen posts Facebook status just hours after killing two men when she ran a stop sign and crashed into their car

Brianna Longoria, 18, was driving two friends Thursday afternoon when she ran a stop sign and t-boned another car
    The two men in the other car - who have not been identified - died at the scene
    Longoria and the two other teens in her car were taken to the hospital for minor injuries
    Later that night, Longoria posted on Facebook: 'im all over the news bad car crash 2 died'
    It's unclear what caused her to run the stop sign; She has not been charged with a crime

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3519244/I-m-news-Teen-driver-posts-Facebook-running-stop-sign-crashing-car-killing-two-men.html#ixzz44lXrQVZW
  • I think bullying is something that everybody experiences, no matter how likable they are. Bullies are really just idiots or emotionally deprived people trying to take it out on others, though.
    @ DarthDimi :

Oh God ! I can't believe such callousness ! That girl is a total sociopath.
    Yeah, I mean, another of example of people on Crazybook wanting 'fans' rather than 'friends', right?
  • @DarthDimi
    That sort of thing just disgusts and appalls me completely, for obvious reasons.
    My face right now looks like M's at the end of Moonraker after Q's "attempting re-entry" quote. How detestable.

@stun_harvesting
    Yes, the bullies are the ones who are insecure.