Take a seat, have a drink, let's talk! - 013 School bullies: how serious a problem?

Comments

Here in the U.S., there is just as much political correctness on the conservative/right wing side as there is on the liberal/progressive side... "Conservative PC" is rampant, in fact.

One example of Conservative PC... So-called "American Exceptionalism".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is a way to stifle debate or choke opinions that are in the way of some elitist agenda.
    In some countries, it has taken ridiculous proportions. (Sweden a good example.)
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 12,837
    I think this is summed up really well by Dara O Briain who showed both sides.

The bit starts around the 2:20 mark but at first he gives some ridiculous examples of people he's encountered trying way too hard to be PC, he also says there won't be any jokes about religion (mainly because he thinks it's a boring subject) but then one of those "PC gone mad!" morons shouts out "fuck PC let's go for it". Dara then sarcastically plays along, saying "yeah, fuck those bastards, with their manners and their good courtesy, not grabbing their secretary's arse or calling me Paddy", and talks about how he's alright with PC.

The reason I posted that it is because I think that he does a good job of showing that being too extreme on either side of the PC coin is stupid. Yeah there are examples, particularly in the media, of people going to ridiculous lengths to not offend anyone, but overall PC is still a good thing, not something to get rid of.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Actually I'd say politeness and civilty are good things.
    PC is something else......and it's always bad.
    It's a toxic notion. Shudder.
    Their is far too much PC in the world today! Drives me mad when we get tiny little things brought to the fore. Here is an example from my stepsons homework.

WW2.

The Allies and the AXIS forces! AXIS? They were the Nazi's or just say Germans? I said how are they meant to learn ACCURATELY when you do not learn the CORRECT terminology?

I was told the word NAZI is not PC now! Well if you do not use it in History lessons? Then if they learn the world Nazi in another form growing in up when out with friends? You may well offend someone!
    The PC nazis have spoken.

It is mad when all I see on the news is about informing the younger generations of the past and the real world! Yet they change historical facts.

What next in years to come are they going to do the same with recent conflicts or even terrorist attacks like 9/11 or 7/7 in the UK? Will they change the name IS too? On certain subjects and issues this country needs to wake up!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A child was suspended from school because his poptart looked like a gun. Oversensitive much?
    o-POP-TART-GUN-facebook.jpg
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Will they change the name IS too?

They already have. They are called "The Socalled Islamic State".

Will they change the name IS too?

They already have. They are called "The Socalled Islamic State".

My god I wished I never asked! ~X( X_X :-t :))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Their is far too much PC in the world today! Drives me mad when we get tiny little things brought to the fore. Here is an example from my stepsons homework.

WW2.

The Allies and the AXIS forces! AXIS? They were the Nazi's or just say Germans? I said how are they meant to learn ACCURATELY when you do not learn the CORRECT terminology?

I was told the word NAZI is not PC now! Well if you do not use it in History lessons? Then if they learn the world Nazi in another form growing in up when out with friends? You may well offend someone!

I suggest you borrow your son's schoolbooks and try learning about history yourself as Axis forces is ACCURATE and indeed CORRECT when describing the forces that fought the Allies in WW2.

As for the original question what can I say that hasnt already been said? The subject is beyond dull.
    timmer wrote: »

Well, it's not. Here's the definition of political correctness.

the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

How is that a bad thing? Thanks to PC, casual sexism, homophobia, racism, etc, is no longer acceptable. For example, it's not acceptable anymore to use a homophobic slur to describe a gay guy, because it's not PC. And that's a good thing.

Yes there are some people who worry too much about being PC, who try too hard to desperately not offend others, but PC, by definition, is not a bad thing, and I think we shouldn't lose sight of the good it's done.

@RogueAgent Never heard of this before. I know you're in the UK, whereabouts do you live? Just googled it and it's come up with lots of revision stuff using the word Nazi. Is it to do with how old he is, is he still in primary school? Either way it's ridiculous.
  • RC7RC7
    timmer wrote: »

the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

How is that a bad thing? Thanks to PC, casual sexism, homophobia, racism, etc, is no longer acceptable. For example, it's not acceptable anymore to use a homophobic slur to describe a gay guy, because it's not PC. And that's a good thing.

Yes there are some people who worry too much about being PC, who try too hard to desperately not offend others, but PC, by definition, is not a bad thing, and I think we shouldn't lose sight of the good it's done.

@RogueAgent Never heard of this before. I know you're in the UK, whereabouts do you live? Just googled it and it's come up with lots of revision stuff using the word Nazi. Is it to do with how old he is, is he still in primary school? Either way it's ridiculous.

Good post @thelivingroyale.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 4,622

I think you are of honest intent, but I prefer to take a different tack.
    The definition of pc is arbitrary. I could easily fashion a less flattering definition.
    But, all of the above, eg,casual sexism, homophobia, racism, are bad things and should be opposed.
    HOWEVER, where problems arise is in person's interpretation of such things.
    Even the above, oh so smart defintion, is susceptible to wild abuse and abritrary interpretation by those driving god knows what agendas - "perceived to......"
    The world is full of sanctimonious idiots who toss around accusations of this and that, like frisbees, without having a clue about what they are talking about, or worse just to make themselves feel superior.
    PC, is never a good thing. It's a toxic term. To call someone pc is not a compliment.
    I was not aware actually that efforts existed to cleanse and sanitize the term.
    I think the battle however is long lost.
    The term is more associated with going to inane lengths, even offensive lengths not to offend.
    Vive le political correctness isn't going to inspire much of a rally.

But those concerned with actual racism, sexism, homophobia etc, I think are best guided by pricipals of genuine tolerance, respect, politeness, human kindness.
    Attempting to fashion standards of correct thinking is not helpful.
    Free and liberal honest dialogue rather is the ticket.
    But this may be just a semantics issue. Those of true charitable intent, won't get bogged down in terms. Actions speak louder than words.

But, I won't call the word-police.
    Its still a free world, sort of. The pc-police have not yet quite managed to impose their will. They try...

Meantime I am with the wiz, at least his sentiments via "dullness" (I don't want to presume full concert with the Wiz. That's a tough endorsement ;) )
    The subject though is yes, beyond dull. We can same-page there I think.

One should not aspire to be politically correct. One should aspire towards true charitable, human respect and kindness. :x
    Peace and Love.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Murdock wrote: »
    A child was suspended from school because his poptart looked like a gun. Oversensitive much?
    o-POP-TART-GUN-facebook.jpg

What a bunch of nonsense.

Clearly it looks like the state of Idaho.
  • Political correctness has become too nebulous a concept to mean much at all. Some say it's a reminder to be aware of difference and cultural sensitivities. To me that's not pc, that's consideration, respect and good manners. Others will say that pc has become something more sinister.

Recently in the UK we've seen a scandal which revealed that thousands of young white girls had been groomed and raped over several years in Rotherham and other northern towns. A report into the events in Rotherham revealed that these crimes occurred in plain view of local officials but nothing was done. The police, councillors, social workers, etc were all aware of what was going on but a kind of paralysis had set in. The culprits all came from one ethnic group and the report revealed a reluctance to tackle the problems for this reason. There was a fear as being seen as racist by those who should have taken action. One government researcher who was brave enough to highlight the crimes was actually sent on a racial awareness course. Now to me this isn't an example of pc either. I would call it paranoia and an adherence to a political dogma so extreme that people were willing to sacrifice thousands of innocents as acceptable casualties.

My take on pc is that it doesn't actually exist. The need for consideration, respect and politeness is as vital today as it's ever been, especially in a society that has become more diverse. However we've also seen the growth in the UK of an attempted enforcement of a set of political views and values that is highly intolerant of opposing argument and conspires to censor uncomfortable truths. In my opinion this is fuelling paranoia, divison and tribalism.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    PC doesn't bother me as much as all the reports of crazy " Health & Safety" rules.
  • RC7RC7
    DrGorner wrote: »
    PC doesn't bother me as much as all the reports of crazy " Health & Safety" rules.

Which ironically people confuse with PC.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DrGorner wrote: »

Well, as long as they don't start jumping on moving trains.......

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    .... You wouldn't be allowed to fix your cufflinks, as you might damage your wrist. :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB12 size=6><b>004
    </b>What's your most unhealthy habit?</font>

heart-health.jpg
    Drinking cider and listening to Dead Kennedys.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Watching Brosnan's Bond films over and over again. ;)
    Watching Brosnan's Bond films over and over again. ;)

I would be dead by now. What stamina you must have.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <center><font color=#E9AB12 size=6><b>004
    </b>What's your most unhealthy habit?</font>

heart-health.jpg

Working too much and playing not enough!!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Laziness and the occasional margarita is my vice.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The internet.
    The internet.
    Woah! Make sure you wear your kamikaze shirt.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Worrying. And making stress for myself.
    Including worrying about the tendency to worry.
    It's a vicious cycle. :(
    You all need to take a stress pill and think things over.