Take a seat, have a drink, let's talk! - 013 School bullies: how serious a problem?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow, I have read so many interesting things, particularly from @4EverBonded, @bondjames and @Ed83!

It is sad that people can be so clumsy at times, against better judgement. Men shouldn't "toots" their female colleagues and women shouldn't OD on seeing sexism where there is none.
    As a male I find it hard to really to say if sexism is used too loosely these days, but in a mostly by men run society I can easily understand that women feel that they are not valued as persons but as objects of lust or even possession.

Having worked behind bars for quite a few years I can easily say that sexist behaviour is still very rampant in the nightlife, even if a women is very clear about that she is not really interested men can be very cavemen like in their response.

Put a huge group of men together and sooner rather than later the level of discussion will become questionable. There have been instances that I finally met the other half of these men and I found it difficult to be objective about them due to some of the information given by their very cavalier boyfriends.

Women like men like to be complimented on various things, their looks their performance in the job, ideas etc. It is difficult to decided when some it is more appropriate than not. As a general rule if she looks uncomfortable it is not sexist percee but unwanted attention. Failing to notice such things and continuing in such behaviour because you think it is right general will cross a line that will get you into trouble.

Most men are not sexist but they should be more perceptive towards their female colleagues/friends when it comes to giving them attention. There is a difference between I like your new haircut and your new haircut makes look hot, one shows you see a clear change and the other one is a judgement on your behalf that really does not matter [unless it is your wife, she wants you finding her hot and noticing her efforts}.

I think that the people who like to point out that sexism is used too loosely generally are the ones who have the agenda to disqualify its truth, just like they do with feminism which is about equality between men and women. I want my daughters to be independently from anybody else through schooling and that they do not need anybody to care for them, that they have the same chances and opportunities everybody else has who has worked for it. It is called feminism and I do not see anything wrong with that but like sexism is often called into discussion, mostly by men.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I think that the people who like to point out that sexism is used too loosely generally are the ones who have the agenda to disqualify its truth, just like they do with feminism which is about equality between men and women. I want my daughters to be independently from anybody else through schooling and that they do not need anybody to care for them, that they have the same chances and opportunities everybody else has who has worked for it. It is called feminism and I do not see anything wrong with that but like sexism is often called into discussion, mostly by men.

True words.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2015 Posts: 12,459
    hahahahahaha! You are amusing, @timmer. :))

Well said, @SaintMark. If both men and women paid attention better, were more purposely perceptive, to see if what they are saying is making the other person uncomfortable or not, it would help everyone.
    Recently in the U.S. a five year old girl was sent home from school for wearing a dress with spaghetti straps, which went against school policy. Of course the outcry was predictable, with many arguing a girl should not be made to feel guilty about her choice of clothes, adding that boys need to be taught how to respect girls, yes, as early as five. Clearly the policy was directed at lustful young boys for whom provocative female attire is a distraction.

If a man rapes a woman, that is a crime. If a man mistreats a woman, that is abuse. If man denies a woman equal protection under the law, that is discrimination. If a man believes women are not his equal and treats them accordingly, that is sexism.

Much of what is referred to as sexism isn't. If I see a gorgeous woman in a bikini at the beach and imagine her naked, I am not being sexist. If I notice that most women at the grocery checkout never open their purses to pay until all the groceries have been checked, that is not sexism. If I hit on a woman at a bar after she's told me to buzz off, that is not sexism.

Men often confuse a woman's choice of dress as an expression of sexuality. Men have difficulty understanding why a woman would wear a short, sexy skirt. Is it to feel feminine and sexy? If so, what does that mean? And is it an expression of sexuality? Can one feel the enjoyment of being sexy without wanting sex? Many men are not clear about these things. Do men also have a need to feel desired and sexy? How many men have wished they were being fantasized about and desired as much as the girl in the bikini on the beach?

The point about the little girl not be made to feel guilty about her dress is perfectly clear, but boys shouldn't be made to feel guilty about their sexual attraction to another human being. One's natural sexual attraction to another is very different from the issue of respect and how one treats another. Unfortunately, conversations about sexism and how the sexes behave and interact are rarely honest. Rather than being given insights into the behaviors of women, men usually end up being lectured on how they must behave.

In the case of Bond, can he ever shag anyone without being accused of being a sexist?

<center><font color=#E9AB12 size=6><b>007
    </b>Which superhero would you like to be and why?</font>

US-ENTERTAI_c1021541_14419_596.jpg
    Now that is a tough one? I think I would go with Batman! Plenty of cool kit and gadgets!
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 7,653
    The Shadow................"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows".
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Shadow................"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows".

Better make that two.

shadow.jpg
    "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit."
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Spider-Man. The only thing I need right now is the powers.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bruce Murdock, Oh wait... ;)
    bruce_murdock__agents_of_illusion__by_comandercool22-d6g70e2.jpg
    Eh? Umm... Not into superheroes much, and don't know any I'd like to be.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Gabriel Gray, aka Sylar from Heroes.

I know he was bad, but he was also so damn cool.
    216614dz.jpg
    In terms of superpowers
    Magneto. Deflecting metal, bending metal, moving metal... I can think of thousands of interesting applications for that. Plus, either I look like Fassbender or McKellen, neither is a bad thing.

In terms of backstory
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan). To be taken to a planet far away and be trained by the most supreme cosmic beings? I'd settle for an adventure like that!

Green_Lantern_1.png

In terms of suit and armor
    Clearly Batman. His must be the most awesome suit ever thought up. I'd prefer the Arkham Asylum video game version or the Michael Keaton Batman version.

2758_batman-arkham-city-prev.png

In terms of ladies
    Batman again. What? Catwoman, Ivy, Harley Quinn, Talia Al-Ghul, ... You name them!

septfunny.png
  • RC7RC7
    Charlie Cox's Daredevil.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    supergoof1.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Batman, for sure, and that should come as a shock to nobody. In his universe he's one of the finest minds and greatest tacticians around, always prepared and rarely outsmarted. He always speaks his mind and doesn't mask his distrust of most around him, even the very Justice League heroes he serves alongside. Nobody is safe from his contingency plans, not even his greatest allies.

His aptitudes extend into science, forensics, criminology, strategy, martial arts, escapology, deduction, disguise and scores more. He's an expert in each field he tackles along his road to facing crime and its demons head on, completely giving himself over to the mission that began for him the night his parents died.

At his most fundamental, he is a solitary and forlorn man that stands for family, loyalty, justice and sacrifice, things I greatly respect and try to embody myself. I've always felt a deep connection to the character of Bruce Wayne, who is constantly facing the most frightening identity crisis imaginable. He's a man very much alone, sacrificing attempts at a normal life for a far greater purpose that he sees as worth the cost.

I would get a great kick out of playing the Bruce Wayne role Batman always does as well, at ritzy gala events with sycophantic parties filling the room. It'd be fun to play the idiot playboy, making people think I was less than I was, getting information on events happening inside the city in ways that a mask and cape couldn't.

Batman's always been the greatest figure in my life from that standpoint, a person from which I've taken my many life philosophies and views on society, morality and life itself.
    Batman, because he's rich.
    Of course it's Batman. I've loved him since he was a kid. Rich, all the gadgets, a personal story that brings a tear, and a life of sacrifice for the downtrodden and against criminals.

It's such an obvious choice almost.....that's why I went for something quite different above. Just to mix it up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    marvel_s_black_panther___logo_by_mrsteiners-d6t1mab.png

He's the King of his own country, Wakanda.
    Takes no bullshite and isn't afraid to kill

His resources are unlimited.
    Make's Bruce Wayne's bank balance look like nursery lunch money
    Black Panther is Physically, Mentally, Spirituality, and Emotionally stronger than any character in the DC universe
    Nevermind the fact that he has a phd in Physics from Oxford, which he achieved because he had down time, BP is a super-genius on par with Mr. Fantastic and Doctor Doom.
    Affiliated with all relevant groups in the MU and was recruited by the Illuminate
    Wakanda is the most technology advanced nation in the Marvel Universe
    Controls one of the most advanced armies in the world
    Is in possession of supernatural and mystical artefacts
    Isn't limited by secrecy
    Superhuman ability that enhances his already peak human abilities
    Skilled politician and Inventor (Putting the likes of Tony Stark to shame)
    Owns and is the sole producer of Vibranium
    His tech, weapons and armour are unrivalled (vibranium)
    Has generations of Knowledge
    Is above and beyond an expert in tactics and military strategy

rules-wakanda.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    And above all else, he's just a badass. Never forget that.
    Without a shadow of a doubt.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Make's Bruce Wayne's bank balance look like nursery lunch money]

More money than Batman and king of his own country? I've changed my mind, I would like to be Black Panther now instead :P
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not familiar with this Black Panther fella but he sure sounds intriguing. I'll try and check out some of his stuff.
    Black Panther not Dark Panther ; )
    Fixed. Thx. Could have been difficult to find if I got his name wrong.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't wait to see Black Panther in the Marvel films; his future appearance is one of the things that still intrigues me about those movies. From what I've read he seems like a fascinating character, sort of the Batman of the Marvel world, by which I mean, "Don't mess with him, because he will find a way to beat you with his vast knowledge and resources."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,551
    <center><font color=#E9AB12 size=6><b>008
    </b>Is marijuana an innocent drug?</font>

high-cats.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <center><font color=#E9AB12 size=6><b>008
    </b>Is marijuana an innocent drug?</font>

high-cats.jpg

Like with most vices anything in moderation can be fun. For me it is a less destructive vice than alcohol.

• edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    I think innocent is the wrong word because it's still a drug but it's less harmful than alcohol and tobacco and it has medical benefits. I wouldn't care if it was legalised.

Saying that though I never smoked weed much even when I was younger. I'd have a spliff every now and again and normally if I was with mates and they were smoking weed or eating pot brownies then I'd join them but I didn't smoke weed that often and I haven't had any for years now (had to stop before joining the army and although I've since left, I just haven't really had any desire to smoke weed anymore, not many of my mates do anymore either).