Craig on the backlash before CR came out

edited October 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,619
Really interesting:

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    Interesting indeed, poor lad spent hours reading the bs people vomited on him before even seeing him, of course we know now DCNB was actually the child of some moronic Brosnan fan PMSing over the fact that he was canned, but still.

It was quite nice to see public opinion change after CR was released.
    The CraigNotBond site had to be the laughing stock of the internet.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Those were awful times. I can't believe the number of threads we waisted on the issue. I gave Craig my full support right from the start. But others decided he couldn't be a decent Bond. And guess what: CR silenced most of them. ;;)
    The CraigNotBond site had to be the laughing stock of the internet.

It got taken very serious at the time, looking back it did serve a purpose. It was the cheapest advertisement CR or any 007 movie ever got.
    People did know about the new guy playing 007. They did EON a big service, might personaly be stupid offensive to DC, but they did put his name out there in their own special way.

When it comes to Bond both hard core fans and casual fans are a highly fickle bunch and this change in tide wasn't really that much of a suprise. Despite being a Brosnan fan I was never part of this Craig-Not-Bond group, it seemed highly unfair to bash the bloke before he's even been seen.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Well, it did more than OK and Craig's reaction at the end is priceless - had me in stitches.

Indeed the press, then the public had it in for him. People did hate the hair and the life-jacket. I remember clearly, at the time members of my family thought Craig was ugly. Why such a reaction was provoked I'll never know, what could have been done? I mean, just look at Brosnan's beard when he was announced.

I wonder who "one of my people" was? If it's a high up person, say Craig's agent, telling him it's "not looking so good" that really can't have helped as he then had to wade through pages of crap for five hours online whilst filming was underway. Must have made him feel awful, especially if it was like crack. Like a car crash, it's awful but I bet Craig couldn't look away, thankfully people online aren't the majority of the public opinion.

It's interesting to know that even at the premiere Craig was still unsure but it looks like it turned out OK in the end and now it's he who is "hungry for more" in the shape of Bond 23. I can't wait for it.
    I think the thing that people need to remember is that Craig isn't god. Just like any of the other Bond actors he's capable of being in a sub-standard film or doing a sub-standard performance. Look at all the mixed reviews for QoS.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    When it comes to Bond both hard core fans and casual fans are a highly fickle bunch and this change in tide wasn't really that much of a suprise. Despite being a Brosnan fan I was never part of this Craig-Not-Bond group, it seemed highly unfair to bash the bloke before he's even been seen.
    Anyone who checked a bit into it realized the desperate tosser running the site was just ticked off her little crush on Brosnan as Bond was no more. It was laughable.

Most people were intrigued, it was indeed a huge publicity help for EON to promote the flick, which makes all of it an epic failure. Bond fans always should give the actor a fair chance, and Craig proved that all the negativity directed towards him was just a snowball effect from a few idiotic comments written by a few "journalists" who didn't like him.

QOS was more criticized, I wouldn't call his performance in it bad though. We'll see how he does after a more traditional outing, which is rumoured next.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I gave my full support to Craig from the day he was cast, and I had my share of dealing with the DCNB members... My opinions on Craig dropped only AFTER seeing CR and QOS.
  • When it comes to Bond both hard core fans and casual fans are a highly fickle bunch and this change in tide wasn't really that much of a suprise. Despite being a Brosnan fan I was never part of this Craig-Not-Bond group, it seemed highly unfair to bash the bloke before he's even been seen.
    Anyone who checked a bit into it realized the desperate tosser running the site was just ticked off her little crush on Brosnan as Bond was no more. It was laughable.
    IMHO, that person is only a Brosnan fan and not a real Bond fan. If she stopped watching, good riddance to her and I hope the door hit her in the arse on the way out. I'm sure EON didn't miss her after the billion in box office generated by Craig and the last two films.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I like the way he compares the Internet with crack. He kind of has a point there. ;)

And anybody else notice the moment when he looks at his ring? Can't help but be happy for the guy... :)
    Go Craig!
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 1,492
    I must admit it made Brosnan for me move from the ambivalent camp to the "not impressed" camp in my eyes the way his fans behaved after his sacking and their turning on his replacement.

It didnt help that his films were rubbish either.

I dont remember Bond fandom being so split as the Brozzer/Craig handover. There were those who liked Moore, those who liked Connery...but nothing quite as rabid as those times. The rise of the internet I suppose?
    I'm not a Craig as Bond fan, but I won't argue with movies that make money and keep the franchise motoring on. So clearly he's doing something right.
  • I dont remember Bond fandom being so split as the Brozzer/Craig handover. There were those who liked Moore, those who liked Connery...but nothing quite as rabid as those times. The rise of the internet I suppose?
    I think an important factor is that Brosnan was perceived to be "dumped" from the series, which wasn't the case with any other Bond except possibly Dalton (depending on who you believe). But Dalton seemed a reluctant Bond, where Brosnan loved being Bond and probably would have kept playing him until Moore-ish ages if allowed. That coupled with his popularity made the decision seem both surprising and possibly foolish - as well as a bit of a betrayal to a loyal employee.

I liked Brosnan and was surprised when he wasn't asked back after DAD, and some of the original reporting certainly had a "check out how unattractive this new guy is" angle to it. But Craig won me over instantly and, to my surprise, all of the women I know love him. Good to know for those of us that don't look like Brosnan that personality and presence can count for a lot too ;-)

• edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Craig has made one very strong Bond film and another very weak one in my eyes. I don't think his era so far has been the second coming that a lot of people seem to believe. Hopefully B23 will be good.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Off topic, but funny.

I think an important factor is that Brosnan was perceived to be "dumped" from the series, which wasn't the case with any other Bond except possibly Dalton (depending on who you believe). But Dalton seemed a reluctant Bond, where Brosnan loved being Bond and probably would have kept playing him until Moore-ish ages if allowed. That coupled with his popularity made the decision seem both surprising and possibly foolish - as well as a bit of a betrayal to a loyal employee.

I liked Brosnan and was surprised when he wasn't asked back after DAD, and some of the original reporting certainly had a "check out how unattractive this new guy is" angle to it. But Craig won me over instantly and, to my surprise, all of the women I know love him. Good to know for those of us that don't look like Brosnan that personality and presence can count for a lot too ;-)

I am afraid that doesnt excuse some of the crap that was thrown at Craig during that time. Brosnan didnt have a divine right to the role. It wasnt his in perpuity because he loved it. He has to be right for each film.

I have been a Bond fan since 1977 and have seen Brozzer, Moore and Dalton leave the series. Also Laz was probably the first one to be sacked or given an insulting offer so that it was made sure he left the series. But never have I seen the furore of Brozzer going and Craig arriving.

But setting up a website in the soul intention of h8ting on an actor is pretty low,

I hope when Daniel leaves the series his successor isnt subject to such abuse....

Recently married to a gorgeous woman,millions in the bank and an success as 007..who's laughing now!
    I can understand some people (perhaps) not liking the casting choice of Craig BUT criticising him for wearing a life-jacket as he's speeding down the Thames and saying it's not something James Bond would do seems VERY childish. If Craig had been a more "classically handsome" actor, would people have still complained? I doubt it.

I suppose those very early press conferences gave the press amunition aswell.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    He had no choice over the life jacket. As for the hair, does anyone remember Brosnan's hair and beard when he was paraded as the new Bond?

The press had a field day announcing that Bond 'fans' had turned their back on Craig. The actions of the DCNB croud meant we were all lumped together. I had been a fan of DC since Our Friends In The North and followed his career carefully. When he was announced I was pleased and intrigued. The only thing about him when I saw CR was he was even better than I had hoped.
    He had no choice over the life jacket. As for the hair, does anyone remember Brosnan's hair and beard when he was paraded as the new Bond?
    Yeah but Brosnan looked more like Bond to begin with so people didn't care about that ;)

I was disappointed that Brosnan wasn't returning but interested to find out more about this new guy having never (to my knowledge) seen him in a film before. Turned out I had seen him in Tomb Raider but I didn't realise that until some time later.

Anyway, I watched him in Layer Cake and thought he was pretty good so I was ready to accept him.

Oddly though when I watched Royale for the first time I wasn't too impressed - it was only during a second viewing a few days later that I realised how good it was.
    Well, the Bond search and Craig casting were the first in the franchise to be hugely covered on the internet... evidently it was bound to be ugly...
  • Well, the Bond search and Craig casting were the first in the franchise to be hugely covered on the internet... evidently it was bound to be ugly...
    Agreed completely. In some ways the internet reminds me of what I figured out about talk radio when I was a teen - anyone can call up and say anything, and lots of people use the anonymity of it to say the things they wouldn't say if their face and name were known.

The plus for the internet is that fact-checking is much more common than on talk radio. While people present their opinions as fact or just invent statistics or "facts" on talk radio they often go unchallenged. On the internet they're far more likely to get called out for presenting untruths.

The same can happen on the 'net though. Someone repeated an "urban legend" about Craig here and when I pointed it out as such and asked to have a credible source cited the poster told me that I was the one who should research it (it's commonly accepted that the person wanting you to believe something should be the one providing evidence). Some people will just believe what they want to believe no matter how much evidence there is against it (Saddam was behind 9/11! The moon landing was faked in a Hollywood studio!) so it's best not to support them and give them attention if they aren't willing to have a true discussion.

Having said that, I enjoy coming here as there is a lot of respectful disagreement amongst members. Very enjoyable when compared to the sucks/rules! dichotomy found on other fan sites on the 'net.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I hated the way the 'press' lumped all the Bond fans together at the time, as if we were all against his casting.
    Like many here, I was one who had no problem with it. Though I hadn't really seen Daniel Craig in many films, I did decide to give him a chance. I would let the end result speak for itself. With the dividing of fans and the mass stupidity that seemed to go on for far to long, the end result to many is that Daniel Craig is an excellent James Bond.
    Of course you can't please all of the people all of the time, (but those who still can't just get over it aren't worth worrying about anyway. Far to much time on their hands) only some of the people most of the time.
    I was so pleased that CR was a massive hit, after all the backlash it was satisfying to see the film, and all that we'd argued about turn into a success. I could never understand the backlash that dragged on for months before the film was released. The life jacket, the inability to drive a stick shift / car with gears, the loss of a tooth??? I seem to recall something about that. Give the guy a chance to prove himself, before you write him off.
    Fun, yet confusing times. But to be honest, I hated being labelled a Bond fan who was against Craig as all Bond fans seemed to be at the time. Nope only a few nutters with overly worrying obsessions, the rest of us were right behind our man Craig.
    Honestly I still don´t like Daniel Craig as James Bond, and I´ve seen both movies. That has nothing to do with DC as a person, or as an actor, because I´ve seen other movies with him in it and like him and it just fine.

Maybe it´s the fact that over time I´ve gotten used to the image of James Bond as the very english, and darkhaired gentleman. Where as DC especially in CR looked more Scandinavian or Russian to me, with the blond hair and the steel grey eyes. Personally I think he would have done wonderfull as a ´Badguy` in a bond movie, but not as Bond.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I feel the same was as you, @Eltanin... But I like the idea of Craig as Bond, I can picture him as Bond, I just don't like how it turned out in CR and QOS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I didn't really see the upsets over Craig as Bond when it was announced - I loved it. Sure, I loved having Brosnan as Bond, but it was time for him to move on and get someone else to fill the shoes of 007. Craig's doing a fantastic job, bring on Bond 23.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I had been a fan of DC since Our Friends In The North and followed his career carefully. When he was announced I was pleased and intrigued. The only thing about him when I saw CR was he was even better than I had hoped.
    Must say, it's like you read my mind there, Nackers, me old mucker... ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What's that I hear? Oh, Daniel Craig laughing all the way to the bank! :-))