What's your favorite villain/henchman's musical motif?

edited April 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 3,687
I don't know if this has ever been talked about before here, but as a soundtrack enthusiast, I've always enjoyed when films employ a "theme" associated with the heavies. As a kid growing up on the Batman TV series with Adam West, I loved the unique musical cues that aurally complimented the characteristics of each week's new villain.

This is particularly true in the case of the Bond films for me. While not all of them feature clear melodic motifs for the baddies, there are plenty that do.

Some I can think of would be:

The most obvious... Goldfinger's theme

"Where Has Everybody Gone" anthem for Necros in TLD (My favorite)

The creepy felinesque theme for Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd's in DAF (another favorite)

Dario's hypnotic xylophonic beat in LTK

Nick Nack's impish, amusing motif in TMWTGG (especially during the wine bottle assault scene)

Oddjob's high-pitched metallic crescendo in GF

Elektra King and Renard's sinister repeating five-note refrain in TWINE (heard most prominently in the helicopter's spinning blade attack scene)

Elliott Carver's ("I've already written" musical phrase of "Surrender" song by KD Lang) in TND

Emile Leopold Locque's synthetic boiling-sound tone in FYEO

Sanchez's Latin-inspired mandolin motif in LTK

SPECTRE's crawling harp notes in FRWL

Scaramanga's funhouse theme in TMWTGG

Mischka and Grischka's knife attack theme in OP

Any favorites?
Anybody think of others?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I always like the motif for Gustav Graves in Die Another Day. It was a great villain theme. Very evil and suspenseful. Funny enough it was originally intended for Renard.
    Good one. How did you know it was originally for Renard? I didn't know that.
    Just seeing the title of the thread, the first one that popped into my head was Wint & Kidd's theme. A very simple, memorable, and playful theme
    EHollander wrote: »
    Good one. How did you know it was originally for Renard? I didn't know that.
    I forget where I read it from, It's been a long time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Necros has one of the best- I love when Where Has Everybody Gone creeps in during the safe house takeover. Oddjob has some kind of bell or chime motif whenever he appears. Not a bad one either- simple and effective.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    So many memorable themes. I can't choose just one, but my favourites are Mr Kidd and Wint's, Oddjob's, Scaramanga's funhouse and Mischka and Grischka's theme.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 3,687
    I forgot the cool theme for the Quantum organization in QOS. (Best heard during the Tosca opera prep scene)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    That old time song with Silva is another good choice.
    Kerim wrote: »
    That old time song with Silva is another good choice.

I love that both songs are thematic with Silva's modus operandi - explosives. The first by Charles Trenet is called "Boum" the second is The Animals' "Boom Boom." Underscored by the way he playfully says BOOOOOM! to Bond after exploding the subway tunnel, and the explosive means he chose to destroy the MI6 Building and flush M out of the Skyfall Manor.
    Dr. No also has a simple eastern-themed motif.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well I've always liked the "criminal music" theme that accompanies Wint and Kidd in DAF. It's very effective at introducing this bizarre duo of assassins.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree on Wint & Kidd being a work of art.

I've had the DAF score on and off in my car for about 10 years, and only recently noticed that the climbing flute/saxophone in their leitmotif cheekily reflects the gay orientation of these two villains.

Barry was a genius.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Necros....where has everybody gone. Classic.

bondjames wrote: »
    I agree on Wint & Kidd being a work of art.

I've had the DAF score on and off in my car for about 10 years, and only recently noticed that the climbing flute/saxophone in their leitmotif cheekily reflects the gay orientation of these two villains.

Barry was a genius.

Agreed. The theme is an effeminate, yet sinister cue which underscores the deadly duo so well, it actually adds to their menace the same way that "da-dum, da-dum" works in Jaws.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Necros....where has everybody gone. Classic.

I like the way the lyrics of WHEG suggest Necros' assassination method - dispatching his prey and then taking over their identity.
  • I like The Final Confrontation score for Whitaker. Kinda has that heavy beat drum that makes you think Bond's gonna get it! Very clever little Barry score. underestimated.
    Beyond Bond, I always liked "Big O" in The Silencers.
    Zorin's Motif is pretty good too. (Prominent on his Blimp and during the Countdown in the Mine.)
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Wint & Kidd is probably my favorite. So mischievous and up to no good!
    Of course, I forgot the Man with the Golden Gun theme for Scaramanga.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Oddjob theme is so simple, yet so effective. Barry, like the old classic masters, knew how to evoke emotion with his music.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Oddjob theme is so simple, yet so effective. Barry, like the old classic masters, knew how to evoke emotion with his music.

Very much agreed on that. Less is more a lot of the time and John Barry had that in spades.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Like you, EHollander, my favourite piece is the instrumental version of Where Has Every Body Gone.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Seconded (or thirded).