SPECTRE Trailer/TV Spot Thread - NEW TV Spots Page 117 - Final Trailer Page 106

Comments

• RC7RC7
    antovolk wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Dunno why everyone's so paranoid about it. Films make big money based on word of mouth. See QOS as opposed to CR and SF

A lot of the marketing is to get people.on opening weekend - the world of mouth is what gives a film good legs - the BO each week not dropping by much.

It's Bond, and SF was a monumental success financially. The screens will be packed to the rafters opening weekend, just like QoS when it smashed CR's opening weekend. I genuinely believe that this film just has to be a great film to be a success. It's a bit like Coca-Cola. People would still buy it, advertising or not. The difference with Bond is that it changes it's flavour with each film. If the masses clamouring to see it love that flavour the rest will follow.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Dunno why everyone's so paranoid about it. Films make big money based on word of mouth. See QOS as opposed to CR and SF

A lot of the marketing is to get people.on opening weekend - the world of mouth is what gives a film good legs - the BO each week not dropping by much.

It's Bond, and SF was a monumental success financially. The screens will be packed to the rafters opening weekend, just like QoS when it smashed CR's opening weekend. I genuinely believe that this film just has to be a great film to be a success. It's a bit like Coca-Cola. People would still buy it, advertising or not. The difference with Bond is that it changes it's flavour with each film. If the masses clamouring to see it love that flavour the rest will follow.

Same can be said for any other blockbusters the year, from Avengers to Star Wars, in fact I don't see SPECTRE beating either...

Yes, Bond is a massive success all things considered worldwide, but the real challenge this year is the domestic market, which is why so much effort is being focused by Sony on that. SF getting to 300m is a great achievement over other Bonds but now on this level, they can't just rely on people showing up, this is where the actual aggressive marketing from the types of Disney and Universal kicks in, if they want to get to 400m domestically. Currently SP's closest rival is the final Hunger Games. Sure SPECTRE will win over easily overseas as HG has much less appeal overseas compared to other blockbusters, and SP is the inverse, but domestic HG is almost sure to beat SP.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 725
    It is critical to the studios that a film open as big as possible for 2 major reasons. On big films, the studios contractually get a much bigger % of the opening weeks gross than the theater owners. The formula slides back toward the theater owners over the following weeks. Then the fall off % takes its toll with each following weekend. Word of mouth helps but it won't counter act a not so hot big opening weekend BO. That's why they have a huge marketing budget. With their budget, they must open big. It is what hurt the wonderful new Mad Max. It did not open big,and it's % fall off each week though a bit better than average no doubt helped by word of mouth still could not help it climb back to a bigger BO.

If you read the leaks, and this is not a spoiler, you can see the desperation by the Sony suits to get the film opened as soon as possible to nail a big opening weekend. They are placed in between some potentially very big competition. SWs alone will hurt, and we're not even discussing a limited number of IMAX screens, which is really a 3rd critical factor. SP is going to lose critical IMAX screen #s to HG and SWs. They had better make big BO up front, or the final # will be disappointing.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Yes, the same can be said. Hence why Avengers 2 didn't beat the first. It wasn't as good. I think the opening weekends were about $10m apart, the final standings about $200m short.

I'm not suggesting marketing isn't important, but you can't polish a turd. If the movie doesn't meet expectations, you can market the arse off it and it will still fall short.

In all honesty, though, it's the last of my worries. I'm just looking forward to the film, whether it breaks records is secondary. It's going to make a bucketload of money, let's not get greedy and concerned with competing against the big boys. We've always been better than that and we'll outlast them all.
  • RC7RC7
    smitty wrote: »
    It is critical to the studios that a film open as big as possible for 2 major reasons. On big films, the studios contractually get a much bigger % of the opening weeks gross than the theater owners. The formula slides back toward the theater owners over the following weeks. Then the fall off % takes its toll with each following weekend. Word of mouth helps but it won't counter act a not so hot big opening weekend BO. That's why they have a huge marketing budget. With their budget, they must open big. It is what hurt the wonderful new Mad Max. It did not open big,and it's % fall off each week though a bit better than average no doubt helped by word of mouth still could not help it climb back to a bigger BO.

If you read the leaks, and this is not a spoiler, you can see the desperation by the Sony suits to get the film opened as soon as possible to nail a big opening weekend. They are placed in between some potentially very big competition. SWs alone will hurt, and we're not even discussing a limited number of IMAX screens, which is really a 3rd critical factor. SP is going to lose critical IMAX screen #s to HG and SWs. They had better make big BO up front, or the final # will be disappointing.

They will make as much they can. I can't speak for the US, but in the UK you have to be hiding under a rock, or dead, to not know Bond is out.

Re. Mad Max, it's a very specific genre film that is a 15 certificate, in the UK at least. You might as well kiss goodbye to your BO if your film doesn't accommodate a father/mother taking their 7 year old.

In reality, are you concerned? SF had a perfect storm of marketing that allowed it to smash the BO. SP doesn't have that and that's nobodies fault. Shit happens. If it's a good film, but doesn't do as well as SF, and people on here start complaining, it's going to annoy me.
    I agree. My #1 hope is that the film is great, but like MM, that alone won't guarantee a huge BO. Crappy films regularly do very well. WOM often doesn't help great films. And we can't fool ourselves. If SP doesn't do near SF BO, which had a much easier map to it final BO figures, be prepared for some serious changes. Craig will be gone, and there will be a reboot or recast which always involves a delay and major risks. So we like to think big BO isn't that important, that it is the quality of the film, but for SP, it is important and unfortunately SF has now established a bench mark of double CR and QOS's BO, which EON and MGM and Sony arei desperate to meet, and that is not a totally good thing.
    And we can't fool ourselves. If SP doesn't do near SF BO, which had a much easier map to it final BO figures, be prepared for some serious changes. Craig will be gone, and there will be a reboot or recast which always involves a delay and major risks. So we like to think big BO isn't that important, that it is the quality of the film, but for SP, it is important and unfortunately SF has now established a bench mark of double CR and QOS's BO, which EON and MGM and Sony arei desperate to meet, and that is not a totally good thing.

Preach this. Before Bond wasn't even considered a top-tier franchise, now with Skyfall it is, now it's up against the likes of Marvel, Star Wars, Hunger Games, Fast & Furious, and you can't just ignore that IMO when talking about marketing - when the next trailer/spot etc is gonna land.
  • RC7RC7
    And we can't fool ourselves. If SP doesn't do near SF BO, which had a much easier map to it final BO figures, be prepared for some serious changes. Craig will be gone, and there will be a reboot or recast which always involves a delay and major risks. So we like to think big BO isn't that important, that it is the quality of the film, but for SP, it is important and unfortunately SF has now established a bench mark of double CR and QOS's BO, which EON and MGM and Sony arei desperate to meet, and that is not a totally good thing.

Preach this. Before Bond wasn't even considered a top-tier franchise, now with Skyfall it is, now it's up against the likes of Marvel, Star Wars, Hunger Games, Fast & Furious, and you can't just ignore that IMO when talking about marketing - when the next trailer/spot etc is gonna land.

Meh, it's cyclical.

Yes. And in a way that is not such a great thing. The budgets and BO expectations are now going higher and higher. CR and QOS didn't' have to compete with the really big boys, and now SP does. And SP is a very different animal than these other giant popcorn films whic can count on a huge young audience . SP is geared mostly to adults. But who knows. As they say, nobody knows nothing about the film business.

/:)
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    I don't know about you guys, but I kind of dig the fact that the studio is keeping a lot close to the chest. Yes, there was a script leak late last year (which I didn't dare read) and yes there has been some concerns about the budget and re-writes, but I continue to believe this movie has a lot of potential. We still don't know how Madeleine Swan fits in, or what Franz Oberhauser is up to, or frankly what Bond's mission is exactly. So many questions with the movie now barely four months away. I like that sense of mystery, so much so that I'm starting to have doubts as to whether I'll even watch the theatrical trailer.

Of course, the caveats are 1)me caving in to my Bond fandom (entirely possible) and 2)the trailer playing in front of a film I see at the cinema.
  • Alright, now when we're in post we really should be getting that full trailer soon... Very soon.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    And we can't fool ourselves. If SP doesn't do near SF BO, which had a much easier map to it final BO figures, be prepared for some serious changes. Craig will be gone, and there will be a reboot or recast which always involves a delay and major risks

What? He's going to do at least one more after SP. They won't trash the entire formula is SP doesn't outdo SF. SF was a monster. It's like saying Tusk was a stiff after it followed Rumours, or Bad was a stiff following Thriller. Can't compare the two.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 725
    =bg= wrote: »
    And we can't fool ourselves. If SP doesn't do near SF BO, which had a much easier map to it final BO figures, be prepared for some serious changes. Craig will be gone, and there will be a reboot or recast which always involves a delay and major risks

What? He's going to do at least one more after SP. They won't trash the entire formula is SP doesn't outdo SF. SF was a monster. It's like saying Tusk was a stiff after it followed Rumours, or Bad was a stiff following Thriller. Can't compare the two.

SP doesn't have to equal or gross more than SF, but it darn well better come close, simply because EON chose to produce SP with a huge budget that even with product placement will also require a big marketing budget. We don't know what the production/marketing budgets combined are, but we can guess a bit, and if BO doesn't double it they won't even break even. That is a very tall mountain to climb. And there is no formula for Bond 25 yet to trash, even though we might hope there is one.
    http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/spectre-filmtrailer-0 - SPECTRE trailer 2m30s

It wasn't long after the teaser was approved that it debuted online, so expect an imminent release...
    Friday perhaps man is it going to be tough to wait till my wife gets home to see it (with each big bond moment with this film it has been with my wife and I want to continue that)
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 3,164
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Friday perhaps man is it going to be tough to wait till my wife gets home to see it (with each big bond moment with this film it has been with my wife and I want to continue that)

Friday would be awesome, but I think we'd know by know. Then again...if it's classified now they surely are planning to have it in theatres with Ant-Man, so it is a possibility given how the teaser debuted a week before it hit theatres with Furious 7. Either Friday or early next week.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,588
    So hypothetically, if it were to be released Friday what movie could it be attached to?
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 3,164
    jake24 wrote: »
    So hypothetically if it were to be released Friday, what movie could it be attached to?

Said above - Ant-Man. The fact that it was claasified already means they intend to place it there, and if they were to wait for say Mission Impossible I don't see them classifying until a few weeks from now.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    The teaser trailer was classified on a Wednesday and this new trailer was classified yesterday (Wednesday) and then the teaser was online next Friday so I believe we will see this new trailer next Friday!
    It was a long wait!! Can't wait!! :-) :-)
    aaron819 wrote: »
    The teaser trailer was classified on a Wednesday and this new trailer was classified yesterday (Wednesday) and then the teaser was online next Friday so I believe we will see this new trailer next Friday!
    It was a long wait!! Can't wait!! :-) :-)

I think it will be BEFORE next Friday since next Friday (or Thursday even) is I presume when it starts playing in theatres with Ant-Man.

I.e. any time between now and next Friday.
    jake24 wrote: »
    So hypothetically if it were to be released Friday, what movie could it be attached to?

Said above - Ant-Man. The fact that it was claasified already means they intend to place it there, and if they were to wait for say Mission Impossible I don't see them classifying until a few weeks from now.

Perfect. My predictions seem to come true again :-). Once attached to "Ant-Man", the full theatrical trailer of "SPECTRE" will be fully distributed, so it can be seen on most screenings of "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" and "The Man From UNCLE".

And I think audiences for all these three films,
    "Ant-Man"
    "M:I - Rogue Nation"
    "UNCLE",
    are very much comparable to James Bond audiences. So would be perfect promotion/marketing decision :-).
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Yeah, probably will be before Friday.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 630
    double

Not this Friday, but I'd say Friday next week, July 17th :-). And that basically is two weeks earlier as the premiere of the SF full theatrical trailer back in 2012.

Not this Friday, but I'd say Friday next week, July 17th :-). And that basically is two weeks earlier as the premiere of the SF full theatrical trailer back in 2012.

Yeah but the norm is to release online BEFORE it starts showing in theatres. And the first screenings that would have the trailer would be next Thursday - so ideally it has to be before then. So either tomorrow, or early next week.

Yeah but the norm is to release online BEFORE it starts showing in theatres. And the first screenings that would have the trailer would be next Thursday - so ideally it has to be before then. So either tomorrow, or early next week.

Okay, let me tell you something:

"Aaaaaarghh" 8-}

Yes, exactly what I meant
    I expect the full trailer to be released between July 6th and July 16th.....which makes its premiere still minimum two weeks earlier as compared to the full theatrical trailer for "Skyfall". Still, it would probably have way more action attached to it, thus spoiling us more.

My prediction above, from early June ;-).

KQPgMOb.jpg
    KQPgMOb.jpg

Whatttt.....is this :P???